Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    We've all had weeks like that, SBD. I think the cumulative effects of the heat shouldn't be underestimated.  And 8.03m/m is pretty reasonable for a steady run: mine was 8.12s yesterday and I was pleased with that!  Off for my 'long' run (15M) in a bit.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Big miles SBD your body probably in a degree of shock.
    I started the day in Boroughbridge and sneaked a 6 miler at 6:30 am before a busy day at a trade fair. Hoping to finish the job off later when I get home.
    Yes SBD I have the North East 10k track champs later this summer. Tomorrow I have a 3k track race in the Vets league and will attempt to break 10mins.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hot today. Well done for getting some quality sessions done in these conditions, Team.

Cricket was great yesterday. Steady eating and drinking but didn't get hammered.

Had some decorating to do first thing today so had to do a session at peak heat time. 30 degs showing on the garden thermometer so decided to do some easy trails on the common and find some shade.

6 miles at 7.34 pace and managed a few strides near the end as I'm concerned I'm not getting quality speedwork in during this heatwave.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    OO - Another great Parkrun time

Gul -  That's a great progressive 20 miler you've banked.

DT - Well done on finishing a difficult 20 miler

Week 1 on 10 has been completed successfully on my Berlin PB marathon quest. 79 miles total including a 20 miler and a 16 miler finishing with a 19:15 Parkrun. Weight session, hill sprints and some MP+10% miles done too. 

I've a 10 mile race on Tuesday night and a HM on Saturday next week, so plenty of quality mileage planned.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
  • OO, great 5k time there. All official now?
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul 20 @7;27 is a crackin' run ,bodes well for the mara !
    0054 another pb ,the way things are going plus retirement and more time on your hands Id say a sub 17 is a possibility for a speedster like you ....
    SBD good strong run in a big week .
    Badbark a great first week ,onwards and upwards,enjoy the dark Hedges half would have liked to have been there but dates doesn't suit this year and not in shape anyway ! Will definitely be back though ...

4 very slow struggling ones today after nightshift (in the 10 m/mile range) to scrape 20 for the week .

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Yes PMJ I was 6th in the Vets race & 17:35 was the official time. I know I should be pleased but not convinced I ran the best race- I misjudged the start and finish and left myself too much to do. This form will run out soon, it always does so need to make the most of it
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    SBD - If it's any consolation I've had a poor few weeks and your still banking the miles. 

Stevie - Shame about that run but still a decent week banked. 

Gul - That's a stonkingly good long run! 

Badbark - Will you race the half or run @ MP? 

DT - We don't get that many stag do's here. Can you remember any of it? :wink:

Leslie - I think I've only done 18 this week! 

Jools - Hope your 15 went to plan. 

OO - Another cracking parkrun. Jersey marathon is 7th October. Fancy jogging round with me if you can make it over? Re where to stay. It depends what you are after. If you want to be near town then there are some nice hotels in St Helier, namely the Radisson which is on the waterfront by the harbour or the Grand which is situated near the promenade. If you want to be away from it all then St Brelades bay is lovely. That's out west with a beautiful beach and some nice restaurants and bars. Hotel L'Horizon, Silver sands and St Brelades bay hotel are all nice. Would you be hiring a car? 

The round the Island challenge went well for our team. We were the first team to complete the 48 miles with almost 3,500 feet of elevation in 6hrs 20 mins. I had a woeful run but we had a comfortable lead when I was setting off on the last leg, just as well as had I been chasing a runner I don't think it would have been good. Had an issue with my left hip flexor/tight glute on Thursday and it was terrible on Saturday, Had muscle spasms a couple of hours before I was due to run and was thinking it might be a DNS but I got round the 13k @ 6:59 average which was about 4 mins slower than I expected. Was a warm day, about 27c but I had to contend with a headwind for most of my run. The heat wasn't an issue for me but everyone said it was hot as hell.  The wedding was amazing but too late a night. Got home at 4:30 am! Today was a beach chill day for some recovery and a few dips in the ocean. Hope this is only a niggle but I'm away on a footie trip to Guernsey with my boy on Friday for the weekend so won't be running much anyway, even if I could. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    cracking run for the team, but also for you, Gerard - you say the heat wasn't an issue for you, but 27C definitely will have an effect on performance, and a headwind to boot  . . .  
    I think you're underselling yourself  . . .     :)     

good week away for me, but no running - back to it tomorrow (or guess that's today, now)   . . .
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well done, Leslie. they all count!

SBD, I don't think I've had what I consider a good weeks training in ages, with a constant array of poor runs but I've been hitting the miles and doing the sessions so trust in the process! Decent pick up today though. 

Decent start, Badbark. I'm sure it'll get more mental over the next 8 weeks. 

Gul, great progressive 20. I was wiped all day yesterday from mine and pleased for a rest day today. 

Joolska, hope the 15 went well.

Well done on your runs g-dawg and Stevie. 

Gerard, well done on the event....and win if I read correctly? It was a peculiar location in my view. My mate wanted to go on a boat so the best man chose Jersey. I don't do boats and as they all lived in Bristol and I'm in Brum I flew. My take home memory is an 11am flight home and being sat on runway about to take off when tiny plane gets pulled. I then spent 9 hours on my own and hungover at Jersey airport waiting for next flight!! Awful day! I thought Jersey generally from taxi from airport to location and the location were great. All the UK was raining and Jersey was glorious. 

I've spent weekend in Manchester with family after my 20. My son wanted to do old Trafford tour and museum so took him on that. neither of us support United but even so it was very worth while. 

51 miles this week and that's with 2 non running days. off we go again tomorrow. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - still a good run to finish a big week. I'm going to be following a P&D 18 week schedule - think it's the up to 85 miles a week one (using a spreadsheet supplied by Minni a good few years ago).
    Joolska  - hope you had a good 15.
    GD - good pace on a very hot day.
    Badbark - cracking start to your Berlin campaign.
    Leslie - I guess the nightshift doesn't help.
    GM - well done, that's a really great effort and well deserved win.
    DT19 - good tally off 5 days. I hate airports.
    I count my weekly mileage from Monday to Sunday, but starting my marathon campaign on a Sunday has confused matters somewhat. Last week totalled 72 miles. Think I''ll just stick to what I normally do.
    Did 9 miles with 5 @ LT (should have been 4) - 3 w/u, then 5 @ LT avg pace 6:26, 1 w/d.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Gerard that's a cracking result. even if you weren't on top form it's the team win that counts! In other news we've booked up for Jersey! Took your advice and booked at the Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa for 5 nights 3rd to 8th with Madame OO. And just to keep you company I've entered the Jersey marathon. No doubt we'll exchange more details later but we'll also be up for the parkrun the day before.

Anybody else want to join us? Easyjet fly direct from Newcastle DT19 so hopefully the flight experience will be better ;)

53 miles last week with a double day yesterday. And 3k track tonight targeting sub-10 mins. Much cooler day here which might help. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Birch - Thanks but you know when you know you have had a well below par run and that's really how I felt but it was a team effort and all the other guys put the real graft in to give me a very comfortable lead for my leg. I honestly didn't feel the heat was a problem, the wind was though.

DT - I've had far too many of those airport delays than I care to remember. Glad you liked it and got the good weather.

Gul - A good start to the week.

OO - That's brilliant news! I'm delighted you'll be coming and doing the Jersey marathon too! Good choice of hotel as well. Yes, we can chat about your visit at a later date and you can message me if you have any questions.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    GerardM said:

Badbark - Will you race the half or run @ MP? 

At this stage they are pretty much the same thing. I'd be happy with under 1:24 but will have to race to get it. :)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, GM. Hope that niggle is OK. I'll defo be coming to Jersey at some point. Already looking forward to tales with OO.

Long day today. Had a 5 hour drive to North Wales as the eldest lad graduates tomorrow. Have brought kit but managed to get 8 undulating miles done before leaving. Session was steady with hill attacks and once again, was bloody hot. Avereage 7.24.

Hopefully I'll get a few miles in up here, it's defo cooler round these parts.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Badbark - Gotcha! :smile:

Finishers photo of yours truly and our team captain at The Royal bay of Grouville where the race started and finished. Mont Orgueil castle in the background.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Proud moment GDawg hope you have a memorable day!
    Bottle that weather please Gerard!
    Another near miss at the 3k last night 10:00:7.  
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Excellent running for a well deserved team win Gerard - hope the flexor/hip issue is OK.

That's agonisingly close OO.

Gul - I'm broadly following the P&D 18-week up to 85 plan but with some of the doubles removed, so probably peaking at 80 miles.  This is week 3 for me, so tempo session tonight.  Are you a day out of sync deliberately.

6 miles recovery yesterday evening on the treadmill in the air conditioned gym - wonderful!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - Jersey does sound tempting, but it will have to be another year. Excellent 3k - so close!
    GM - nice photo.
    GD - good session again. Hope the graduation goes well.
    SBD - air-conditioned gym - almost sounds tempting. Rother Valley mara is on a Saturday, so that's why I've started the schedule on a Sunday.
    Overslept this morning, so had to change my routine and go straight out for a run at 4:48am in order to finish a 12M MLR in time. Also had to run it faster than I should have done. 6M @ 7:44 and 6M @ 7:07.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable Gul. I guess you are used to it but I couldn't run at any pace that time of the day. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

G-Dawg - Enjoy the special occasion. Great running in the heat. Would be cool if you could come over too as well as other forumites.

SBD - I'd love to be able to give the high mileage a go one day.

Gul - Maybe next year. ;)Great MLR.

OO - Soooooooo close and so fast too. With that kinda time for 3,000, you've got to be near sub 5 shape for a mile? Any mile races on the radar? I wish there were more of them about.

Will try get out for a very slow run on lunch today to see how the niggle is. Not as hot today, only 21c!

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    OO- you are flying at the moment! 
    Gul - great early morning running as usual, you must not need much sleep!
    GM - congrats on the team win!

8 miles steady yesterday and then 3x2 miles at 10k pace with 2 min recoveries. Reps came out at 6.34, 6.35 and 6.32 averages so pleased with the consistency. Completely wiped out now so glad it's rest day tomorrow!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    0054 we will call that a nice round 10 then !
    Gdawg proud dad moment .
    Gul nice speedy 12.
    Stevie looks like a 40 min 10k isn't far away and is a nice benchmark for us runners  ...

Club session tonight , Kenyan hills to celebrate the heat !

Was to be 3 times up and down the long 3/4 mile hill but some kids decided to throw a bottle near the top which narrowly missed a runner from a nearby field so we moved further down the hill out the way so 1 big rep and 4 smaller ones pace steady at about 7:05 both up and down . 6.5 mile in total.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    GM - hope the niggle has cleared up.
    Stevie - good pace for your 2M reps. Enjoy the rest day!
    Leslie - nice hill work.
    6 recovery miles @ 8:33/m this morning.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

GD – Congrats to the new graduate! Well done getting the miles done in hot weather

GM – Great pic

OO – Fab 3k time! 09:60:07! J

SBD – I’m interested to see how your 80 mile P&D schedule pans out for you

Gul – Great early morning MLR

Stevie – Great fast session, enjoy the rest day

Leslie – I’m glad the bottle missed! Good hill session despite that.

I ran 11 mi on Monday and 17.5 mi yesterday including a 10 mile race. It was a hilly course and I’m happy enough with just over 1:05, so 6:30 m/m pace. I did have to work hard for this, and it’s scary to think I’ve to run 2.5 x longer at a quicker pace in 8 weeks. Gulp. :) I think I’m due a prize for 1st M45.

I heard the results from blood tests and I’ve border line anaemia. Under 130 means you’re anaemic and mine is 128. I’ve an issue with my liver too and have to get tested in other 4 weeks again. I’m collecting the full test results from my Doctor later. Should be an interesting read. I'll be increasing the iron in my diet for sure.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Take care B.B. seems to be a common issue- I would recommend more Guinness!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Leslie - unpleasant incident with the bottle

Stevie - 3 x 2 used to be a "favourite" - I'd like to get back to those at some point  . . .   

Badbark - take it easy  . .

10.5 this morning - with friend back from 3 month injury layoff, so her easy pace currently matches mine :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Been a manic few days with work!

Good training, Gul. I simply couldn't do that at 4.48!!

Stevie, great session. 

yes, take it 'easy' badbark!

Nice nice, Birch. 

Good session, Leslie. shame about the idiots!

SBD, I've been enjoying the odd treadmill run in heavily air conditioned gym. 

Great 3k work, ok. so close. Nice work on booming Jersey. 

My week has ticked over. 5 mile recovery Monday lunch then spin in evening. Yesterday was 11 mlr. it was cooler so opted for my hilly route (770 feet of gain) and legs were feeling good so averaged 7.39mm which is faster than I normally do those. 

Today was 5 x 1km on treadmill then bodypump tonight so ticking off my sessions nicely. go on holiday 2 weeks Friday so will probably over reach a bit building to that. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great pic, GM. Trainers nice and clean. Clearly not done enough work.  :D

Hope the tests are good, Badbark. Sounds like Guinness in order.

Didn't get to run in Bangor but had a fab time with the brains of the outfit.
    Had a 5 hour drive back but had to get miles done.
    Popped out for a 10 miler. It was "only" 25 degrees and I could feel the difference compared to the recent heat. Averaged 7.03 pace and felt OK.

Not so many things in the diary now, so should get some sort of structure back to the training.