P&D Autumn Marathon 2018

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Great performance Joe!!! Shocking to hear about the crash! Hope you get the Kona Place as you really deserve it.

I’m slowly getting back into things. Managed a decent sub 20 at parkrun so the speed hasn’t gone completely. Just being careful when building up the mileage. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Brilliant performance Joe, the fact I didn't notice on the tracker means something. The pros weren't in wetsuits, that should explain their slower times. I watched a bit of it on FB.

I was half-expecting you to be pushing Lucy Gossage and but for the crash, who knows. You still got chicked though ;-)

Hope third is enough for you and hope you and the bike are ok.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Superb effort Joe-particularly in the circumstances! Hope you get the deserved Kona spot and that you recover well. Cracking performance!!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Bloody hell Joe. Fingers crossed for Kona. I'm pretty sure there aren't many people capable of qualifying after being hit by a car. That would be awesome. Tough as nails.

I don't think you'll know what to do if you race an IM in nice conditions without some sort of incident.

Hope you pull up ok.

Many tears at the end?

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Joe: that's an amazing performance even without the bloody car driver. Really hope you get the Kona place as you deserve it hands down after that.

Hazel: nice MP run. Always good to get that one out of the way without any issues.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Bloody hell Joe - looked at your result last night & was bloody impressed before reading about the accident. Just figured the slow down on the run was due to heat exhaustion but I'm even more impressed now. Hope the internal bleeding isn't too serious. Certainly deserve that Kona slot you've been chasing.
    Well done Hazel & AWC.
    Good to hear your return from the bench is progressing well Millsy.
    Not much running for me this w/e as down in Devon for a 40th birthday bash with bands, DJs & zider. Got out for parkrun & a swim in the sea at Seaton. Finished in 19:42 for 8th on a very flat course with just some shingle stretches to slow the pace: First 60m or so then a 150m stretch on both laps.

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Amazing effort Joe and incredible determination. Hope you are OK. The sooner driver-less cars come in the better IMO, just to get the bad drivers off the road.

Great long runs AWC and Hazel.

Started my week with a steady 13.1 the morning. Slightly easier week now ready for a sprint Tri on Sunday.

• Thanks so much for all the messages guys. This one has a happy ending! 

Absolutely buzzing. Never thought it’d happen to a mug like me. 
  • Always tough the MP runs in training Hazel so good going

Letting the side down this weekend Jools with just a run and a swim  ;)

Nothing less than you deserve Joe, get in! Enjoy those beers!!   :)

Session along the flat river path in the valley today, 7mins (2mins) then 12 x 45s (60s). Rep paces were: 5.36/ 4.34/4.35/4.36/4.27/4.33/4.37/4.33/5/4.23/4.25/4.13/4.08

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Great news Joe, well done and well deserved after all that hard work! Hope the crash injuries aren't too bad today and you've had some time to celebrate and recover a bit.

Hope things keep going well for your comeback Millsy.

Nice trip to Devon Jools.  Shingle sounds awful to run on, one step forward, two back I would have thought.

Have a good pre-Tri week Ramjet.

Nice riverside session Scott.

Just a gentle evening Mtb plod with OH to move the blood around, legs feel ok after yesterday's run.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Just a bit happy there Joe? Great stuff mate. Is it this year you'll be going to Hawaii?

Decent 6 mile offroad tempo today. A good improvement on last week. Still don't feel super but the pace was ok.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Joe, Fully deserved! Celebrate/recover well.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Great news Joe. Really chuffed for you - would have been so unfair if your dream had been shattered by a twat in a car after all the hard work.
    Decent paced efforts there Scott.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, long time no see. Mind if I join in the fun again?

It's been a rubbish couple of years, plagued by injury (back problems, stress fractures, etc.) but with a ballot place in Berlin I'm ready to attack the marathon again aged 50 :)

Good to see so many old faces and new.

Special congrats to Joe. What an epic story. I'm so glad you got that Kona place! Now for the small matter of robbing a bank to fund the Hawaii trip ;)
    Is anything going to happen to the ar*****e in the car? Surely trespassing on closed roads and endangering people's lives is a criminal offence?

I'm not following P&D to the letter anymore. At my age speed work is a recipe for injury and I can be doing without but I stick to the mid-week MLRs and the strides. Some of my MLRs have stretches of MP effort in them to make up for lack of standard speed work. My long runs are slightly longer too. I'm trying as many 20-22 milers as my body will allow. I'm in week 4 of my makeshift up to 75 mile plan and have done 2x22 and 1x20 so far.

No goal set as yet but something sub 3:45ish would be sweet. Don't think I have more sub 3:30s in me TBH but that's ok.

13 mile MLR done today. It's still bloody hot (I live in Hamburg) so running first thing (out the door at 5am) is the only option as I'm clearly not built for heat.
  • HA - lots of tears, as expected. As I was crossing the line I was pretty sure it'd be good enough, but you can never be sure.

Haven't heard anything from the car driver. He was actually keen to give me his details, but I was in no mood to converse with him after the initial few 'choice' words I threw in his direction. I just wanted to get back on my bike as quickly as possible and see if I could get back in the race. Strava shows the very pretty bruising I've now got on my leg. 

Hawaii is this year. October the 13th. So I've got some logistics to plan! Katie is running Chicago marathon the weekend before so we'll already be in the States. 

I'll write a full report on the blog obviously, but it could take months! Straight back into work mode so not too much time at the moment. Thanks so much for all the support on here, not just over the last week, but over the months/years. Still feeling quite fragile emotionally/physically, but having this little community online really does keep you going sometimes. 

Apologies I haven't had a chance to comment on other peoples activities, everything has gone a bit mental in the last 48 hours!
  • Good offload tempo HA

You're focusing on the important parts in that schedule Chicksta so hopefully it brings the results in Berlin

Doesn't leave you long then Joe, what's the plan until October then?

30 mins easy today, not particularly easy considering the elevation. Day trip over to Italy today and managed to see the women cycling the TDF the day before the men on the way back. 
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Only a minute to check in and say thanks to Jooligan, who was race director last night for a really great 10K in the Forest of Dean. Great atmosphere, very well organised but relaxed.  And apologies I couldn't stay around to pick up my prize!
    It was a statistical quirk because whilst I was indeed first MV50 across the line (by one second) in 45:49, I was well beaten (mainly hammered) by seven people in MV55, two in MV60 and even someone in MV65... I was 43rd across the line.
    It was only the third time I'd pulled on my trainers since my ultra 3 weeks ago, and really happy to do that.  Will try to catch up soon.
  • Again massive congratulations Joe, hugely deserved after all the hard work you put in, really pleased for you.

Congrats on the 800m PB Scott.

Well done getting another long run with MP done Hazel.

Welcome back chicksta.

A win is a win NE! Congrats.

Some great training from everyone else.

I was on the Isle of Wight at the weekend, which made for a nice change of scenery. I did their parkrun on Saturday, which had been conveniently relocated to Ryde, where I was staying, for the summer. I finished 4th again, in 19:06, however I was much happier with this performance as it was quite a hilly course (mountainous compared to what I’m used to! ;) ) and it was more of a LT effort as I was holding back a bit not knowing the course and quite how hilly it might be. Strava reckons it’s a GAP of 5:51/mi, which if accurate I’m happy with.

Final little session today, 8x200m aiming for goal pace of 37s. Managed 5 of those, plus a 36 and two 35s. I did the reps on tarmac so it was closer to race conditions, and they felt easier than on the grass track which is reassuring. Just have to string all those together without the recovery on Saturday now!? Not feeling that confident, but we'll see. Main thing is I'm in ok shape ready to start training for Frankfurt, which scarily is only 14 weeks away on Sunday  :open_mouth:

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    chicksta: great to see you back - was it Berlin you had to pull out of before with a stress fracture? Seems like a sensible plan in terms of long runs.

Scott: nice session

NE: good job on the first V50

Jools: race directing as well now - because you don't have enough things to keep you busy!!

Joe: wow October this year - not long then :) I'm not surprised you are drained after all that - such am amazing and epic performance its a bit difficult to describe in words.

Spoons: I saw some lovely pics of the IoW on your Strava feed - such a gorgeous place when the weather is good. And that's definitely a good time on that course
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Hi Chicksta and "Gruessech" from the other end of German speaking Europe (10 miles down the road they start speaking French).  I'm also doing Berlin and am currently working my way through week 4 of the 12 week up to 55 miles plan.  You are well up on the long runs in comparison.  Training is going well so far for me.  I might potentially see you in the masses in Berlin as I am looking for a 3:30ish time.

Hope you are recovering well despite being back at work Joe.  

Enjoy the Tdf Scott.

Well done on your first MV50 NE.  

Good luck for Saturday spoons.  

10 miles with 5 at LT for me this morning.  Another day with mug of tea, banana, espresso and out of the door but I am adapting to morning running well, even for the faster stuff.  The alternative of 30 degrees this afternoon/evening is not very tempting.  The LT session went well - hard work but I kept the pace up and didn't fade.  Could have done without the hill on the way home though - more of a shuffle than a run.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Hazel - Looks like training is going well.
    AWC - Superb long run, enjoy your taper.
    NE - Congrats on the win!
    Joe - Superb stuff, a Kona spot with the accident is awesome and what you deserve for all the training. Recover well!

Did 5 miles on the weekend and 2 yesterday, but have an issue with shin/ankle so going to see physio, so not much running from me. Gutted as I hoped to be in marathon training by now, but instead have done 4 runs in 3 weeks I think!
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Thanks for the welcome back folks :)

Hazel: Grüezi :)  With nailing that LT sesh and gunning for a sub 3:30 you'll be miles up the road from me in Berlin ... 

NE: one of the quirks of age group prizes. Well done on the bling and a really good 10k time!

Spoons: Blimey, a mile race. Glutton for punishment. Nice parkrun and great speedwork :+1: I was thinking about Frankfurt too but we're on hols then. Berlin is bloody early this year. It's usually end of September not in the middle. Hope this friggin' heat has gone by then...

AWC: It was Hamburg in 2016 - gosh, that seems like a lifetime ago.

SteveMac: Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

Crikey, Joe. That will be one expensive October for you guys. But hey, you only live once. Chicago is so tempting but the cost of US marathons puts me off a bit. I think Boston was over 250 bucks to enter. Small fry compared to IM fees, I know :D

• Good to get some faster stuff back in the legs NE

Strong set of 200's Spoons

Tough those LT runs Hazel, all sounding good for you

Hope the physio gets you back in the game soon Steve

Another 30 mins yesterday before a short session of 4 x 1min today off 5 min recoveries. Paces were 4.19/4.04/3.51/3.57. Also seen the TDF the last 2 days which has been brilliant, amazing how small their calfs are. Lots of boo's for sky at the signing on ceremony this morning. 

Managed to get an entry into the Oxford BMC for next Saturday as well so racing next Wed and Sat

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Good to have you back Chicksta. Sounds like you're in pretty good shape with some solid long runs. I think sticking to the MP stuff and doing strides is a good plan. Good luck with Berlin.

Well done on the prize NE. 

Fingers crossed for you Steve.

Spoon - I really don't like the idea of racing a mile. Scares me more than a marathon.

Sounds like a good trip Scott

Busy October Joe. Should be great. I think it could work well with your training - enough time to recover but still able to fully use the fitness you've built.

Got out for a Mona Fartlek on Wednesday which went ok. A bit slower than normal on the offs. My GPS is miles out on the track. I've measured other runs and it seems to be close but it's always terrible on the track. This time it said I ran about 300m further than I actually did over 14 laps.

Managed an 18 mile long run this morning which was good. Longest training run since Jan and the first time in a couple of months that I've felt like I had some pop in the legs and got rolling. 

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭
    Hi, was introduced to this thread by HA77, I'm following the up to 55 plan for Abingdon and looking for a good for age time for London next year, more of a 10K racer but up for new challenge. Few weeks in and all good so far, struggling with the heat though. Recovery run tomorrow but 16 miles on Sun, may have to be an early one.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Joe, I had seen strava and Facebook so knew of the outcome and the crash, but not the details. Double hard bastard award! So pleased for you and what a result under such extreme circumstances. Enjoy the recovery and can’t wait to follow your Kona build. 

Welcome back aboard, Chicksta. Sounds a sensible plan. Also welcome aboard Nonstick. 

Hope France was good, Scott, and you enjoyed Le Tour. I can’t get enough of it. 

Some super sessions from Hazel, Scott, HA and more  keep them coming.

Back from a great week in Provence. Stayed with the family in Beaumes-de-Venise and managed to get out running each morning. Some absolutely incredible routes through famous vineyards and amongst the very hilly Dentelles, always with the sun rising behind Mt Ventoux. Whilst it was all slow, felt like it recharged my running batteries having such a visual treat at all times. We also hired bikes one day for an assault on said mountain, climbing from 200m to 1912m. Whilst we went very slowly, I was done in by the top. Amazing expansive views and perfect weather for it. Following this was a thrilling descent in which I found myself literally whooping out loud. 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Brilliant holiday, Sorequads. I love Provence. I only went up Mt. Ventoux once - in a car :D
    I'd be scared shitless on the descent :scream:

Hi nonstick :). I find 10ks incredibly painful. I think most of us are wilting in this heat. Just accept that time will be slower and stick to effort. At least that's my plan.

Nice when things come together, HA. Well done on your 18 and the track sesh.

Yours is a good session too, Scott. Especially when pressed for time. Might copy that after the marathon. Planning to skip a spring mara in favour of a half and for that I need to get some speed back into them old bones.

Another 22 today. Felt good for the first 14 then it got a bit hot and I was way out of my comfort zone. Anyway, miles in the bank as they say :)
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Miles in the bank indeed. Top stuff chick.

Looked like a great holiday SQ. Some great running too.

Welcome nonstick, good to have you along.

After some advice. Just got the results back from my pre-work medical and my feratin is low (21 ng/mL) along with my iron binding saturation (9%). Serum iron is at the low end of normal, Hb is normal and my UIBC is at the top of the normal range. Not sure if anyone knows much about all these numbers but I seem to remember people discussing these sorts of things before. From what I found online, it looks like I could do with some more iron in my diet.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Listening to various scientific/nutrition podcasts, HA, what stuck me about increasing iron was the way in which it was absorbed. It is fat soluble - so if having supplements, have fat at the same time. And caffeine absolutely inhibits the uptake in the body - so definitely avoid tea/coffee etc whilst having the iron. My pescatarian wife has iron sachets which seem to work ok for her. You’ll be aware of other sources: red meat including organ meats, shellfish, mussels etc, leafy greens to an extent. Also, unexpectedly, cooking with iron skillets helps. Eating your cookware apparently! 

Great to see a 22 making an early appearance, Chicksta. Get your name on the marathon list! 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Sorequads said:
    Listening to various scientific/nutrition podcasts, HA, what stuck me about increasing iron was the way in which it was absorbed. It is fat soluble - so if having supplements, have fat at the same time. And caffeine absolutely inhibits the uptake in the body - so definitely avoid tea/coffee etc whilst having the iron. My pescatarian wife has iron sachets which seem to work ok for her. You’ll be aware of other sources: red meat including organ meats, shellfish, mussels etc, leafy greens to an extent. Also, unexpectedly, cooking with iron skillets helps. Eating your cookware apparently! 

Non-stick must have taken this too literally.