Advice required on hydration / energy please

I'm still new to running, although completed a 10k and have ran HM in training a couple of times - Got my first HM booked Oxford in October.

Anyhow had done 5 and 6 milers through the week and after a rest day yesterday decided on a long run which took me for a PB of 2.5 hours covering over 16 miles. It was for over an hour in rain and strong winds which soaked my t-shirt and clung to me, and my feet were soaking and wrinkled - no problem with that, just so chuffed i had ran for so long.

But at the end i was in desperate need of a banana and water, so thought i'm probably missing something and i've heard about these gels you can take.

At this distance / duration do you think i would benefit from them, and if so which ones are best?

I've surprised myself at the distance i've covered in this mornings run, so am thinking to maintain and increase the long runs slowly and train for a marathon in spring and let my HM on October be part of the training.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    For that distance and at this time of year I think you should certainly have a drink, take a bottle with you or some money and stop at a shop/garage to buy water.   Over 15 miles I would advise some fuel too, you can buy gels but they are overpriced sugar, a few jelly babies for now will do the trick.   Eat a good high carb breakfast too so you are fuelled before you leave home.

If you're going to consider a marathon you need to read up on fuelling and hydration so you get the best from your training, but don't read stuff written by the manufacturers of sports drinks or gels, they will tell you that you need lots and lots of their products and you don't.   Read up what other runners do and then try out various formats and you will soon find what works for you.
  • Thank you shades, i've got a plan and will see how it goes, on long runs will carry a few jelly babies and a water bottle - also got a protein shake to try afterwards - I'll only try these on long runs over 2 hours and carry on as i am for all others, apart from an increase of chicken breast and eggs in my everyday diet. The shake is really just an easy and convenient quick fix after the longs runs - will see how i go. 

Thank you again.
  • happy9053happy9053 ✭✭✭
    Consider reading up on Prof Tim Noakes. An experienced marathon runner and now into low carb high fat. Also researched drinking too much on marathons.

In previous years I used to eat a jelly baby every mile on a long run and some kind of sugary drink. Now just water on a 2.5hr run. Need salts etc at end. 
  • Have a read up on hydration tablets especially in this hot weather, and why they are used.....it may save you from a headache or two...
  • salt tabs or electrolyte tabs added to water.  energy gels, sports drink or lollies for the carbs for longer runs/races. more energy is required to run a 4 to 5+ hour marathon than a 2.5 to 4 hour marathon. 
  • Hi Portlanders,

Firstly, congrats on the long run, that's some good mileage! ?

I'd definitely recommend adding some pre- and mid-run fuel in order to not only extend the time and distance you can run for, but also to add to your speed.

As mentioned above, I'd suggest avoiding ordinary highly processed, sugar-laden gels and go for natural performance fuel which has a good source of not only carbs, but also fat and protein. Taking these on board (instead of solely rapidly-absorbed gels) will give you a constant supply of energy so you won't experience any of the peaks and subsequent troughs that can come with rapidly rising and falling blood sugar levels (let alone the gut trouble many face!!).

Please do drop me a line if you would like any more information!

All the best,

James at 33Shake
    33Shake
    Performance Fuel
    Powerful - Tasty - Natural
    www.33shake.com
  • > @portlanders said:
    > I'm still new to running, although completed a 10k and have ran HM in training a couple of times - Got my first HM booked Oxford in October.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Anyhow had done 5 and 6 milers through the week and after a rest day yesterday decided on a long run which took me for a PB of 2.5 hours covering over 16 miles. It was for over an hour in rain and strong winds which soaked my t-shirt and clung to me, and my feet were soaking and wrinkled - no problem with that, just so chuffed i had ran for so long.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > But at the end i was in desperate need of a banana and water, so thought i'm probably missing something and i've heard about these gels you can take.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > At this distance / duration do you think i would benefit from them, and if so which ones are best?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I've surprised myself at the distance i've covered in this mornings run, so am thinking to maintain and increase the long runs slowly and train for a marathon in spring and let my HM on October be part of the training.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks for any advice you can give.

Hi @portlanders

I have had really good results when taking energy gels. Gives you a little boost when you need it!

Ive found some really good and cheap ones on ebay at the moment!
    Half the price they usually are and they are legit!
    I ususaly get put off buy the price but High5's are worth it.
    Just search
    High 5 Energy Gel x10 Orange
    These are by far the best tasting ones I have had as some of them can be gross!

Hope you find this helpful