Friday 3rd August 2018 - Summer's gone, day's spent with the grass and sun

Morning.

Summer's gone, day's spent with the grass and sun

Let's see Donaldo - I've worked out that it's speed work that aggravates it so I think I'm going to race a half marathon at the weekend?

I hope Mrs B's run went well Benjy? Keep her running easy and she'll be fine. Who is she fundraising for?

It's very noticeable how much darker the morning's are already but it's still and mild here and forecast to be a warm weekend so something to look forward to. Have a packed (by my low standards) social weekend ahead which will hopefully make tapering easier though staying at race weight not so much (meeting friend's at their caravan for lunch on Saturday and lunch with the in laws on Sunday).

What:           short and easy
Why:            tapering
Last hard:    work politics
Last rest:     12/6
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Well done Wabo
    LmH - yes, always try to cut mileage a bit in the summer, besides I see it an annual mission to try at least one fast mile/5k a year and you can't do that off marathon training. Body needs a break from mileage too.
    I've also noticed the days getting shorter. It's almost lights on when I get up now...

What - lunchtime miles, either Olympic Park (flat, industrial) or Greenwich (hills, tourists)
    Why - going to be a warm one and I refuse to be stuck in all day
    last rest - 02/07?
    last hard - Tuesday's hills.
    lyric - not sure I do

• You do know that lyrics Dustin I'm sure. I prefer to run when it's warm which is a shame with London being in April but agree that a break from the higher mileage is a good idea.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    LMH - lol - I know!  My brain is an enigma.

Much darker here but only due to cloud cover.  

Lyrics, nope. 
  • Morning

Benjy: I am sure Mrs B will do better than she thinks, as LMH says keep it all easy and build up slowly.Well done on popmaster yesterday top result!!

Don:Enigma that is one word for it;-) seriously you need for it to settle down again.

Action packed weekend LMH handy as you are tapering;-)

Lights are always on when I get up as dark at 3.30am;-) but I felt so rough I went back to bed and going to have a rest day I did debate going out for short run but I don't feel great so will give my achilles a rest and hope they appreciate the rest and body is ready to go again tomorrow.

Lyrics Nope
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning! 

Yesterday's lyrics, which I also know from school, were "Scarborough Fair", probably most famously recorded by Simon and Garfunkel. 

What: a walk that might break into a run at times

Why: legs feeling tired, back feeling tired (lots of cleaning plus fitness suite yesterday)

Lyrics: no

A fascinating test so far, Emz! Hope that England bat well today so that you see plenty tomorrow. 

Wabo: hope you assembled well!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Wabo: Your report made me chuckle. Proper smackdown there :+1:

Don: You're so quick!

LMH: sorry to hear work politics are dragging you down. Enjoy the weekend. Sounds like a nice distraction.

Dustin: Agree on needing a break from marathon mileage.

Poppy: A rest day is probably a smart idea. Listen to your body. You've been packing massive miles in lately.

Right now I enjoy the days being shorter - it means a teensy bit more heat relief on my morning runs.

Ale: Probably better to back off a bit today if body is so tired?

What: 5 mile recovery run
    Why: did long yesterday
    Last hard: hot, hot, hot
    Last rest: 21/6
    Lyrics: no

• Dustin: Go Greenwich, see some life at lunchtime, tourist dodge. LMH is right you do know this song.

Welsh: You do right in having a rest, I'm sure you may feel twitchy but it is the right thing to do.

LMH: She is running for Cancer Research, it has had a huge impact on her family, she lost her mother to the dreadful diesease 18 months ago and her father has just had his prostate removed three weeks ago after being diagnosed also. Very strong person, takes everything in stride and gets on with things.

Well I was surprised by Mrs B's run last night, we can never run together as one of us needs to be at home to look after our girls. Hat's off to the folk that give their time to volunteer for running clubs, she started the walk to run scheme at local running club some time ago on Monday nights and had said she moved to intermediate, I never get to see the effects of this, the last time we tried running together was some time ago and wasn't going well then. We did 5.25 miles with only two 20-30 sec stops, which in fairness was because of hills. I did buy her a Garmin Forunner 30 a few weeks ago and that has helped (I won't buy myself one though it seems). The main purpose for doing GNR is to fund raise, but also to have a focus to get in to running and get to a level where a 5-6 mile run for fitness can be done without it being a challenge andmaintain that.

Ale: As I said the other day, (with the above), people such as yourself (and others here) officiate these clubs and groups, are very welcoming and provide positive approaches to what can be a daunting venture for necomers. So injured or not it is still being in the game helping others through coaching and marshalling.

What: Hilly 7

Why: Running day

Lyrics: Nostalgic!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Hats off to the missus there, Benjy. Hope the fundraising goes as well as her running.

• Really pleased that Mrs B had a good run Benjy - would you post a link to her fundraising page. I don't think there are many of us that haven't been affected by cancer.

Take it easy Alehouse.

Hope you feel better for the rest Poppy.

Donaldo - is the race worth the risk of not being able to run for a few days?

I can see the benefits for you chicksta, I just feel as if the summer is slipping away and I'm dreading the winter.

Another nice morning and good run for me. Really needed it to see me through the day (I hope).
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    morning all, its hot out there!!!!
    LMH nice one glad it was a good run again

Glad I made you all smile with that race report!!
    Benjy well done to mrs b, enjoy your hilly 7
    chick have a nice 5 miles today, indeed hot hot hot!!
    alehouse have fun with the walk that will run! - assembled as well as I could, report to follow..
    Dustin I think greenwich sounds better, unless you are craving flat!
    WP very sensible, don't need to jeopardise all  your good work!

So when I got to the race last night, Tom our club president said, well done girl here to defend your title! So I was in first place before the race.  I didn't really see any my category before and knowing I can't do thelast just thought maybe I'll be lucky.  Set off feeling ok really, very hot race the night before but at least it's flat! Then a mile + before the finish I spot the one below me up ahead!!! Damn!!! So the next mile was a chasing game, good though as I passed two of my club mates and it focussed me! I was 20 secs, 16secs, 14 sec behind. About 300 metres to go (no happy ending guys) she just legged it!!! I did the best but think she probably finished ahead that 20 secs at least.  So now we are on the same points I don't know who else turned up.  It is out of my hands I may tie first, get second or even nothing!!

What: 16 miles my fastest bike ride this year, similar miles to bike later and I still have my mile to run
    why: friday bike day
    last hard: this morning
    last r est: 31/12/16

weight a full pound below the 11st, happy days downwards and downwards :-)
    Have a great weekend all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Swim around wreck at 8:30, no running so far, now belatedly getting 17-18 tax stuff together for accountant.
    Back improving but not right yet. May try short run yet today.
    Tantalising finish Wabo!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya, 
    In the end opted for neither, instead ran up Regent's Canal, Mile End and around Victoria Park. Absolutely stunning out there and used it as an excuse to top up the meagre tan. 8 miles.
    In a bizarre twist I was actually singing this song part way round, so yes, I do know the lyric as both Benjy and LmH have suggested! 
  • Sorry to hear that your back is still bothering you OH.

Well battled Wabo.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Well battled indeed, Wabo! Take care on that bike!

Sounds a pleasant run, Dustin!

What: started to walk but knee too niggly so cut it short and never considered running! There's always tomorrow.

Off to watch cricket at Old Trafford shortly. Talking of cricket, where's EMZ? Hope all is well.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Sorry to hear that Alehouse - hopefully it will be more cooperative tomorrow.
  • Back no worse after  5k loop  :smile: