Sub 3h15

Comments

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

SBD - That session was on the road, managed to find a loop near me that was just over a K so ran laps of that. Slightly undulating to add a bit of toughness! Good MLR, is it New York you are doing?

Gul - I had never done static recoveries before I started having coaching. Found them strange at first but they work quite well, brings the heart rate down so you can attack each rep.

GD - Great run, and enjoy the cricket & beers! Perfect preparation for a 15 miler!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    DT19 - good consistent pace there. You'll come back from holiday feeling refreshed hopefully. I'm usually around 11st3lbs (and 6'2.5") after a run and before breakfast ;)
    Badbark - stonking mileage. Good marker there with the mile reps for Berlin. Will you have your iron levels re-tested in a couple of months time?
    SBD - good hilly MLR. I'm on week 3, so no long run on the schedule just a 16 mile MLR.
    GD - enjoy the cricket and your 15 miler.
    Stevie - okay, maybe I'll give the static recoveries a go. Mind you, my schedule has my next interval session planned for 18th September!
    Getting back on track with my schedule meant another MLR this morning. Did 12 miles with 6 @ 8:25/m and 6 @ 7:36/m.
    BTW Lidl running gear in store today. Bought myself 2 pairs of running shoes @ £14.99 a pair :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I'm only 5'8 so will probably have a similar bmi to you gdawg.

Nice mlr, SBD.

Stevie, I always do static recoveries. The purpose for me of hard intervals is to do the intervals hard, not end up with some middle ground of jogged recoveries and not maxing the rep.

Gul, that's cheating on the scales. I tend to weigh first thing on a day where nature has called before I've had a chance to drink anything.

Planning a 20 this evening. Its due to be 25c at 7pm but cloudy. It might not be fun but hopefully it'll get banked. Subject to how I feel when I wake then, I don't have to set off until 9.30 so I may try and get a recovery run in at 8am.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Gul I’m amazed you run in cheap unbrand shoes. I’d be intrigued to know if it makes any difference.
    Good start and good miles Badbark.
    Im going for solid mileage this week- up to 26 so far.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Are your NYC transport arrangements all organised OO - booking opened earlier today so I've booked myself on the 6.00am coach from Manhattan and going for the Poncho option!

Hope the 20 went well DT.

Good MLR Gul - you'll enjoy Week 5 in 2 weeks time!

Stevie - Yes, New York on 4 November.  I've not run a marathon outside of the UK so it should be interesting!  I can se the benefit of static recoveries but I've always preferred the "active" recovery that you get from a jog.

Good steady effort G-D.  Hope you're enjoying the cricket.

10K recovery for me tonight on the gym treadmill.  I run these at 5:15 m/km pace (and the obligatory 1deg incline!).  It's always nice when the heart rate is controlled on these recovery runs:

A bit of drift - but I put that down to the gym environment!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm on the bus from midtown at 6am also SBD and opted for the bag drop. 
    I need a good long run this  Sunday but my knee has been a bit sore, hopefully will pass.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    DT19 - hope you got that 20 miler in the bank before you go off on holiday. "Gul, that's cheating on the scales. I tend to weigh first thing on a day where nature has called before I've had a chance to drink anything." Doesn't 6:20am count as first thing ;)
    OO - it certainly makes a difference to my bank balance! Hope your knee is okay.
    SBD - nice low HR. Haven't used my HRM for a long while now.
    6 mile recovery run avg pace 8:34/m.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Knee was fine today so gentle 10 miler slower than you Gul at 8:58. Soaked to the skin again!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice Recovery running chaps.

I was delighted to see the sun come out at about 4.30 yesterday. Went out at 7 and felt terrible (not surprising when I stop to count the total of my activities in previous 5 days). I stopped at 3 miles for a couple of minutes to have a drink and pee. I was debating following the loop I was on home for 5 miles. got going again and it felt much better, almost like the 3 had acted as a warm. persuaded myself to go for 15. By about 10 miles the sun went down and it became more comfortable. plodded on slowly to cover 20 at 8.41 pace getting home at 10pm. Had my dinner at 11 then bed for midnight.

Didn't sleep great. up at 8, out by 8.15 for a 5k recovery at 8.55 pace. Going to bed so soon after a 20 leaves things pretty stiff. 

Now sat at Birmingham airport enjoying a sausage sandwich and a pint of coke. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

The only part I'm liking DT19 is the sausage sandwich :)

Just did my GFA entry for London- hope you all remembered....

I used my Paris marathon which was my best time this year- hope a 6.5 minute buffer is enough to qualify under the new rules  

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

GD – Good 5 miler and enjoy the rest

Gul – I’m looking forward to reading how your Lidl shoes work out.

SBD – Nice pace for a hilly 15

OO – Glad to read your knee was fine

DT – Well done on getting that 20 miler completed.

I ran 11 easy today including 10 x 10 sec hill sprints. Yesterday I did one of P&Ds key runs. This was 13 miles at MP+20% till halfway, then MP+10%. This looks easy enough on paper but considering it was the day after intervals, made it more of a challenge. The second half at 7m/m pace felt close to the effort required late in a marathon. Good enjoyable session.

I’ve now clocked up over 75 miles this week with the long run still to come.

My Garmin Fenix 5 informed me that I reached a new Vo2max record of 63 this week. I’ve no idea on the accuracy, but improvement is good. Apparently I’m ‘Superior’ for my age (48) in the top 1% and have the fitness level of an ‘Excellent’ 20 year old!:)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That will not surprise any of us Badbark! I only make the top 5% with a v02 max of 52 (superior). Great miles- take care sir!
    Poacher are you all ok after the Coastal?
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Well toughed out DT, another 20 in the bag! Enjoy your holiday

SBD & OO very jealous of New York! If everything goes to plan I should have a BQ and Chicago GFA time which will give me options for 2019/20

Great running as usual Badbark, very impressive VO2 max!

8m tempo this morning, apart from the first mile of 6.45 all miles were 6.3X and finished with a 6.23 as I was told to push on for the last mile! My VO2 max hit 57 this week which is my highest ever!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    my vo2 sits at 59/60. it did briefly hit 61 in March. I've got mates not as fast as me on 63/64 and vice versa so I think it's only a gauge from a personal perspective. I also get same feedback on it as Badbark in terms of where I sit. 

your going well, Stevie. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Well toughed out on the 20 DT.  Enjoy the holiday and downtime.

That's a long tempo session Stevie at a decent pace. Plenty of time for Boston and Chicago.

Excellent training for the week Badbark - MP+10% at the end of a long run is always tough.

I'm still thinking of Boston for April 2019 so may not enter London (I would only run one of the two).

Good recovery run Gul.

The 6:00am bus from Manhatten should be fun OO - not sure what to do about breakfast though! 

A bit hot night and the legs were feeling sluggish so a 13 mile MLR was just what was needed.  Forced myself to pick up the pace early so it was below the magic 4:50 m/km and then gradually increased this over the second half to finish with an average 7:37 m/m pace.

Just the small matter of 18 with 10 at MP on Sunday and then I get to enjoy a much needed cut-back week.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Gul to answer you question on recoveries , id prefer to be moving slowly in the rest rather than stopped as id soon start to sieze up but I just do what coach says but if on my own moving recovery it would be ! Enjoy the new shoes .
    Badbark even your watch knows your a bit fast ,great you can get all this now with technology,looking good for a big week.
    0054 you will be well in for London with that time buffer, I had a deferred place from last year but didn't renew I'm afraid before the window closed , mara seems a bit too far these days !
    SBD a great 13 on tired legs .
    Stevie a very speedy tempo , definitely improving which is great. 
    DT enjoy the holiday ,beer and a few easy runs.

Thursdays session was a 30 min continuous  tempo so no rests to worry about and I went out  hard to see where I was at, 6:34, 6:52, 7:12, 6:57, 6:50 (last 0.43mile), there were hills in the middle so the slowdown wasn't as bad as it seems but I was certainly suffering after trying to hang with the front runners for about 1.5 miles before they pulled slowly away ! a 90 min half in a months time may be a bit out of reach I think !

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good runs all round and good to see BB rolling back the virtual years.  SBD you are going very well. If it's cool in NYC a really good one beckons. 0600 sounds like a much later start than it used to be, which is a bonus as this race has always been a very long day indeed.

OO at the White Peak mara, Gul left me for dead in Lidl shoes, so they must be OK.

I'm shorter than Gul, about 6ft or 6ft1, currently 11st2 so feeling like a tub of lard as the fighting weight is nearer 10.10 tops.  Got to shift some timber, some of my work these days is with the military so unfortunately I'm sometimes stuck in army camps where it's chips with everything. Restraint needed.  Working with the Gurkhas in September which is dangerous as I love Nepalese food.  I'll have to fly to Berlin in a cargo net slung under a Chinook.

The injury is not fully healed, but runnable over short distances. 20.36/75.24% at Orpington Parkrun this morning which is at least heading in the right direction.

Too hot to run! Rain please.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

StevieW – Great tempo session and fast finish

DT – Yes, VO2max is only one factor in endurance running capabilities.

SBD – Good MLR paced run. Good luck with the 18 and 10 at MP. I find that type of run extremely difficult, so usually do a HM race + easy miles instead

Leslie – That’s a good tempo run and I don’t think you’ll be far off 90 mins HM ability in a month.

Poacher – Your job sounds very interesting. I’m glad to read you are recovering from injury well.

It always amazes me just how quickly my running improves with high mileage training. I set off this morning fuelled on nothing but a teaspoon of coconut oil and a cup of coffee. I ran 22 miles in total including my local Parkrun after 16.5 miles. It's not a fast course with plenty of sharp turns and undulations.

Despite having run over 90 miles (or because) this week before the Parkrun began, I managed my fastest time in years. Unfortunately my result is coming up as ‘unknown’ without a time on the results table and I didn’t reset my watch. So I’m not sure of my exact time but it was somewhere close to 18:20, which is almost a minute faster than last week. 

I was third after the first lap of three but took the lead by half way and ended up the first finisher! I haven’t been the first finisher since 2015 and that’s now my 10th. This is a brilliant confidence booster for Berlin. Go me! :smile:

EDIT - The result has been fixed and it was 18:26.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Badbark nice to be on the podium again and on form ,maybe message them see if they can sort it out .
    Got 2 hrs to myself so went out for 12m which is mostly pan flat ,notions of a fast finsh type run where soon forgotten and the second half was a laboured 10 m/mile grind ,my first long run in maybe a month and much needed.Thurs session very much still in my legs !
    12m at 9:20 average 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Well slogged, Leslie.
    Bonkers, Badbark. Great parkrun time and excellent total miles.

Got up a tad late but still had to get then 15 miler done. Turned out to be a 16 miler as I forgot the start of the route I'd mapped. Never mind, 16 sounds better.

Decided to do the run on the trails as it was boiling hot and I tried to find some shade. Bizarrely at 10 miles, my legs felt really fresh but an open area and an incline put paid to a faster mile.

Averaged 8.10 pace and when I got home the garden thermometer registered 28 degrees in the shade.
    Looks like more warm work next week too.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Poacher,  you're making me hungry.    Damn fine 75% WAVA parkrun there for a "TIG" (tubby, injured git)  ;) 

Leslie, GDawg - nice work  

SBD - hope the long one with MP goes well tomorrow

Badbark - splendid parkrun after logging 16 beforehand (not to mention the week's miles).  As you rightly say - go you !!   

and go me also  -  12.5 with my daughter this morn brings me to 45 for the week -  "week one" of my "stop messing about" schedule   ;)   good move to bag a 15.5 on Monday . . .   
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Good tempo Leslie I'd definitely say a sub 1.30 half is on the cards, what's the course like?

Great long runs from SBD, G-Dawg & Badbark .Kudos on the on parkrun win!

16.5 miles this evening in the sunshine .Took 3 drinks in my lidl backpack which kept on top of the hydration. Progressed from 8.30s to 8.10s with a 7.59 to finish.

54.8 for the week which is my highest ever total. Although I'm sure this will be broken repeatedly over the next couple of months!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Well done at the parkrun Badbark, quite amazing.I also ran 18:19 but came second as I bombed in the last half mile. Long run tomorrow should land me mid 50s for the week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I must try a 100 mile week! nice work badbark!

Nice wava/park run, poacher.

Equally well done, oo.

Good running everyone else.

Planning to run tomorrow. have a decent 5 mile ish loop I use. So far this holiday has proven a nice respite from the UK summer. Not seen the sun yet. usually I'd be disappointed with that however it's been quite nice being comfortable. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Stevie WH, will be interesting to see how your body copes with the extra miles and how it impacts your performance.
    Enjoy the hols DT19. If you dont like the heat maybe you should move up here to the north-east!
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Leslie – Well done on your longest run for a month

GD – Good long run in hot weather. We are lucky with it being much milder in N. Ireland

Birch – Glad to read about the ‘stop messing about’ schedule. There is no hiding with running – you get out what you put in.

Stevie- Good long run and congrats on the highest weekly mileage total

OO – Great Parkrun time and unlucky with the last mile bomb.

DT – If you are going to run 100 miles in a week, make sure to run several weeks around 80 and several at around 90 before it. In other words, work up to it gradually to lessen the chance of injury. Enjoy your holiday running.

I ran 10.5 easy miles this morning aiming for a high cadence. My average cadence was 182 so happy with that. I then took my daughter to run her 21st Junior Parkrun, where she got awarded her Marathon wristband. I always leave it up to her is she wants to go, so I’m proud she got her wristband while she is still only 4. She even ran a new PB.

I’ve ended up with 109 miles run this week, which is a training record. I have run further when doing long ultras but never when only training. 

Most importantly I’m completely niggle free, feeling strong and looking forward to next week’s training.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

A good week's work Badbark - do you think the focus on cadence is helpful?  I struggle to get mine above 160!  And well done to your daughter.

No sun! - where have you gone DT?

Good park running OO

A good progressive LR and an excellent weekly total Stevie.  Have you got a cut-back week planned?

Good miles for the day and week Birch.

The first long ones are always tough Leslie - just keep working at it and you may surprise yourself at the HM.

Hope you can sort out the injury before Berlin Poacher.  Still 13 weeks before New York - the main priority is not to get injured.

So the schedule called for 18 with 10 at MP today. Headed down to the New Forest and ran the Forest Trail Half Marathon.  With a delayed 9:20am start, the sun was a factor but there was a fair amount of shade on the course.  A five mile warm up and then ran the first 3 miles at c. 7:30 pace.  Sadly this was the down hill leg of a 6.5 mile out and back course, so the initial MP section was uphill.  The course was described as flat but the MP splits varied between 6:30 and 7:42 - giving an average of 7:05 for the last 10 miles.  A bit slower than I was hoping for but the heart rate was in the right zone and it was great to be running on the forest trails.

2 miles w/d to give 20miles for the day and 76 for the week.  The schedule calls for a cut-back week next week, but I'm on holiday the following week and I'm not sure I'm going to be allowed to run 75 miles whilst on holiday so may have to delay the cut-back!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    SBD and Badbark you are making us look lightweights. 17.5 for me today and 60 for the week. I felt good. Have a 10k on tuesday and may be a good one. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Yep, you boys make me feel like a slacker.

A 5k hot recovery session for me today bringing up 41 for the week. What a lightweight!  :/
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Good luck in the 10k, oo.

Nice session, SBD. 

Badbark, I country see me getting beyond 75 in reality. 

Stevie, I'm looking forward to seeing where this training block takes you. I suspect that in a few months a few of us will be  heading your times. 

SBD, I'm in Lanzarote. I spoke to soon. very hot and sunny today.

went out for my 6.1 mile loop. started slow with an 8.18 as was uphill into a strong wind. Became progressive with a 7.32, 7.08, 6.58, 6.51 and 6.44 for 7.16 average. That's faster than my fastest last effort on this loop last year by 1 second a mile and 3 bpm lower. hoping to progress it so my last one is sub 7mm. 

Gives me 45 for week plus 3 spinclasses an 2 x bodypump so a decent week really given I've spent 3 days on holiday. 

There's a flat 5 mile race in Oxfordshire on bank holiday Sunday that's tempting me. Not sure just yet on family plans butwill be trying to make them work around it.