Sunday 5th August 2018 - My friend the communist

Morning.

Lyrics - My friend the communist

Hope you don't have any post race niggles today Donaldo.

No harm in being extra cautious Alehouse.

Sorry the run didn't sort your back OH.

Another nice day forecast for today but the weather is supposed to go downhill from Wednesday - shame I can't make the most of the next few days but I'd like to give myself the best chance on Sunday.

What:            short and easy
Why:             tapering
Last hard:     shaking off the black dog this morning
Last rest:      12/6
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Yesterday's lyrics were "The Only Way is Up", Yazz and The Plastic Population.

What: fitness suite plus perhaps a short run

Why: I seem to go to the fitness suite most Sundays
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning,

LMH: I hope you can get rid of that nasty Black dog and have a good run to lift your spirits.

Ale: You really should go on the naughty step for such an awful song and group;-) I remember Big Tim who started this thread many moons ago getting snippy as someone used the same lyrics;-)

Chick: Interesting wildlife on your run all i have are foxes we do have badgers but only seen one once in 20+ years in the woods.I am sure the two foxes I see must think there she goes again I wish she would run later it is interefering with my food gathering

What: 8.1 miles
    Why: Because I can
    Last hard: Sleeping in the heat
    Lyrics: nope

Another faster paced run so that was pleasing to see and a lot cooler at5am as another hot day sadly! But 141 days for Christmas :)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    WP: it was the sentiment rather than the song, yesterday! And you should come and join me on the naughty step for mentioning the C word! Will probably make a cake or two for that occasion this week though!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Alehouse: You are right it was naughty of me to sneak the C word in;-) But you have reminded me I need to make my cake this month I forgot I usually make in July.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • No, no, no! We cannot have talk of the C word at this time of year and surely it's far too early for cake baking - that's usually an autumn marathon tapering activity for me. I'm holding on to summer for as long as I can  :)

Enjoy the fitness suite Alehouse, not sure if our usual Sunday gym session will happen as we are at the in-laws for lunch.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Alehouse, classic song, probably even danced to it back in the day   :#
    Plan to go out for some distance today but will see how I feel, legs will be tired.  But ‘they’ say that it’s good ultra training to go long after a hard race.  We’ll see.

poppy, just no!!

Lyrics, no.
  • Donaldo - I don't think it's good ultra training to go long the day after a hard race, I think that's asking for an injury. I would advocate back to back long easy runs.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    loving the fact that the C word is in play already.... :-)

Sorry been a bit bah humbug here and not posting..... now in another age cat as of 8-9 days ago so now have a 0 after a 5.......

Great way not to come in..... still attempting to run but not going anywhere.... seeing the  physio at last on tues and cant wait..... its looks like it is also attached to fatigue levels... yesterday at parkrun whilst trying pace... the first 2 miles were great then bang, no power or strength.... today being nice and easy the same doesnt kick in till 5m +.... this has been the same patern over the last few weeks.... so hopefully physio will have some answers..... hope so as I want to find some mojo (as already pulled out of 3 half marathons as a result..... (thankfully I have been able to drop down to 10ks but these are still not guarenteed with the way I am not running......

Hope all are well and sorry for my inability to post regurally at the moment.....
  • 3 miles easy
    Loosener
    Last hard - last 3 of yesterday's 10
    Last rest ?
    Lyrics not a clue
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    No worries, RFJ, stick in and you'll get through it.

LMH, wish I'd seen your post before I left.  Idiotic decision to do 21.21 miles on heavily fatigues legs.  Was out of it after 12 miles and would normally call my wife for a pick up at that point so it was onwards for the last hilly 9 miles.  Lots of.walking and jogging but got there in Pi. 3hrs 14.  

Never again! 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

I'll say nothing, Don!

Sorry you are finding it tough, RFJ! I know the feeling...

What: 3.66k in several parts (longest 1k) with walking in between

Why: have forgotten how to run. Legs wouldn't respond in general terms rather than any specific niggle. Hard work at a slow pace. And probably need to slow down even more. But then that would probably walking 100% of the time!
  • Patience Alehouse. It will come.

Doesn't sound like drop foot RFJ - hope you can get some answers.

Doesn't sound like much fun Donaldo. Eat, drink and rest well.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Afternoon, 
    Well done on the race Don, less so on the stupidity ;-)
    When I've trained for ultras I've done back to back long runs, but all at a generally slower pace than my marathon training long runs (9-10 m/miling or slower)
    Ale - sorry my mistake, 73s would have been lovely (there was a time...) obviously 83s.
    RFJ - keep looking, you'll find that mojo soon enough.

What - 17 easy miles with the village crew (club run was 11 with cut offs, I added 5 before , 1 after)
    Why - leading a run. Good to have a few newbies joining in.
    last rest - June
    last hard - yesterday's track, or possibly 6 hours of gardening in 30+ heat
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening. 
    Just popping in to say hi.  Been AWOL due to exhaustion mostly!  Did a race over the Clent Hills on Wednesday and it was awful.  My injury from my accident is really painful again (left leg) and I just found it really hard.  Had a lovely day (read 1.5 hours) at the cricket yesterday and did an easy 8km this morning and a long walk this afternoon (instead of my planned 20km).  Tomorrow is a new week, so positive thoughts and onwards and upwards.

Have a good Sunday evening :)
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to see you EMZ! Sounds like a few more easy days then onwards and upwards. The heat doesn't help in the exhaustion stakes! Glad you saw some cricket...an excellent 90 minutes for England fans!

Dustin: you will just have to do the 73s next time then! Nice 17!
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Nice fast half, Don. Ouch re. today ....

RFJ: very strange indeed. Hope you find some answers.

Em: sometimes it's sensible to just chalk a bad week off. Hope next week is better.

Ale: wot LMH said. I've started from scratch last year with the first few runs being run/walk and those were hard!

Poppy: luckily I never spotted any potentially dangerous wildlife on my runs.

Hope you got rid of the black dog, LMH.

Nice Sunday 17, Dustin

I'm not getting drawn into the C.   debate :D

What: just yoga and a bit of stretching and cycling
    Why: ran 6 days in a row and sticking to my rules
    Last hard: looking at the forecast. 30, 34 and 36 the max for the next 3 days.
    Last rest: 21/6
    Lyrics: no
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Meant to say, happy new age group, RFJ!
  • RJF - agree with LMH
    not a usual story for foot drop (which would usually come on but then be present until perhaps a gradual recovery)