Trump

Comments

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Trump life dominated by Fox News contributors, adult entertainment workers, and Russians. John Bolton new security advisor, and Mike Pompeo likely Secretary of State - both super hawkish on Iran so that's the nuclear deal almost certainly gone. An unpopular president in a tight spot obsessed with projecting strength with a personal grievance and counselled by military interventionists. Been here before. Bombs falling by when and on whom?
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Following US media it's definitely at the point where if days go by without Trump tweeting, saying or doing something stupid, offensive or dangerous everyone feels let down and news pundits poke him with a stick to get the shit show rolling again.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    In the meantime he orders a strike on a dictator gassing his own people and lines up peace talks with North Korea.

His detractors look a bit questionable themselves if they disagree on this actual action. 

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    So it seems that Trump is going to start WW3 with Kim of North Korea.

All they have to do now is decide who it is they are going to wage it against. 

🙂

• I tell you what ... world wars just don't look the same these days ...

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Trump is talking to the queen. These are normally private conversations the content of which is not commented on by either party. I'm going to take a wild guess that Trump will come out and make some claim along the lines of the queen telling him he's the greatest of all the presidents she's met. He's off to promote his golf course next and then to see Putin for his biannual review.

There's a bad habit I've noticed in the UK media of following the narrative that describes the leadership of Putin, Erdogan and Kim as "strong" and Merkel, Trudeau et al as "weak". Violent, oppressive totalitarianism isn't strength, and public service in a liberal democracy under the jurisdiction of law isn't weakness. These fucked up concepts are slipping into everyday news coverage.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    JT141 said:
    Trump is talking to the queen. These are normally private conversations the content of which is not commented on by either party. I'm going to take a wild guess that Trump will come out and make some claim along the lines of the queen telling him he's the greatest of all the presidents she's met. He's off to promote his golf course next and then to see Putin for his biannual review.

There's a bad habit I've noticed in the UK media of following the narrative that describes the leadership of Putin, Erdogan and Kim as "strong" and Merkel, Trudeau et al as "weak". Violent, oppressive totalitarianism isn't strength, and public service in a liberal democracy under the jurisdiction of law isn't weakness. These fucked up concepts are slipping into everyday news coverage.

Read the following earlier on this week:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/07/trump-putin-russia-collusion.html

It makes a compelling case for Trump being a Russian asset but I doubt he has the intelligence to pull it off.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
     :)  

Have to admit, that as a heterosexual guy, I tend to fancy 'C's.

Trump?

Can't say I've ever fancied him.

🙂

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    As a KGB foreign intelligence officer immersed in espionage and clandestine manipulation Putin must be a bit embarrassed at just how transparent Trump is.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    He's been tweeting threats of nuclear war again. If this is the public stuff he does with his phone what's he up to in private? I reckon he Snapchats dick picks to Erdogan's daughter. Following Trump is like standing on a motorway verge watching the stream of awfulness whiz by.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    How do you think he'll perform in the midterms? His approval rating is pretty ropey (only Truman and Carter's has been lower at this stage of a presidency) yet surprisingly, it's not varied a great deal since since Helsinki.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Ynnec said:
    How do you think he'll perform in the midterms?
    There's been a lot of talk of a "blue wave" with Democrats taking control of congress - similar to the Tea Party movement that delivered Republican control under Obama. It's not going to be a fight to change minds but a matter of getting sympathetic voters out. The Trump/Republican base is small but absolutely motivated, not least because the Democratic base is more active. But the large potential voting pool of conventional moderates and liberals is notoriously hard to turn out. Anti-Trump feeling will energise some, but how many? Something that sticks in my mind is a quote I heard prior to the 2016 election: Democrats have to love their candidate, Republicans just have to vote for theirs.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    JT141 said:
    There's been two broadsheet comment pieces this week: one advocating reintroduction of capital punishment in the post-Brexit era, and another extolling the dynamic virtues of strongman authoritarianism. The notion that the restrictions and banalities of legislation, regulation and oversight are best eased by fascism is not just fucking stupid but plain wrong. Civic societies have been cultural and economic global powerhouses. The history of tyrannies is one of corruption, stagnation and regression, not to mention the blood all over the place. Selling the dream of cultural torpor at any cost has become such a valuable political asset. Genuinely troubling.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    JT141 said:
    Ynnec said:
    How do you think he'll perform in the midterms?
    There's been a lot of talk of a "blue wave" with Democrats taking control of congress - similar to the Tea Party movement that delivered Republican control under Obama. It's not going to be a fight to change minds but a matter of getting sympathetic voters out. The Trump/Republican base is small but absolutely motivated, not least because the Democratic base is more active. But the large potential voting pool of conventional moderates and liberals is notoriously hard to turn out. Anti-Trump feeling will energise some, but how many? Something that sticks in my mind is a quote I heard prior to the 2016 election: Democrats have to love their candidate, Republicans just have to vote for theirs.
    It seems any triumphant "blue wave" would require millennials to turn out in numbers, but currently only 28% of them are "absolutely certain" of voting at the midterms (compared to 74% of seniors). Mobilising and energising this group could be the key to Democratic success (in both chambers).
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Capital punishment! 

Sir Samuel Romilly, speaking to the House of Commons on capital punishment in 1810, declared that "[there is] no country on the face of the earth in which there [have] been so many different offences according to law to be punished with death as in England".[2] Known as the "Bloody Code", at its height the criminal law included some 220 crimes punishable by death, including "being in the company of Gypsies for one month".

Crikey! Iver will become a ghost town over night.

🙂

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    He's now 4/6 at Bet365 "To Be Impeached By The House In His 1st Term". I might have a piece of that action.

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    It's scary that he's retweeting Drudge Report content. Only a matter of time before it's QAnon conspiracy shite.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    It's absurd that something like Q gets into mainstream consciousness, both for the believers and the bemused onlookers. Jews and paedophiles are an obsession of modern conspiracy. If the moon landings happened now it wouldn't be theories on fakery but Bilderberg space colonies and accusing Michael Collins of fucking kids in the module.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    JT141, even someone as thick as I am can determine you must have an IQ of 150 plus. But for what it's worth, nature abhors a vacuum, as does media outlets.

When channel 4 first hit the airwaves there was all manner of weirdo nonsense in there filling the spaces. I remember some guy called Simon Munnery being give top billing along with some twats wearing masks, rat catching in the reed beds of the Wirrel.

Desperate times.

🙂

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I quite like Simon Munnery. I'd recommend watching his old show "Attention Scum!" on You Tube.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    The American conspirational right are apparently battling it out over QAnon stuff. It's being decried by traditional Deep State thinkers as a liberal hoax. My unicorn is real but your griffin is a load of bullshit.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    It's currently nip'n'tuck in the Ohio Special Election with R's being ever so slightly in front (<1%) with thousands of votes to be counted. Whatever happens, it's a long way away from the 12% margin R's had in 2016: much for Dems to be optimistic about on November 6th.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Always makes me laff:

Image result for obama lama ding dong
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Ynnec said:
    He's now 4/6 at Bet365 "To Be Impeached By The House In His 1st Term". I might have a piece of that action.
    In light of Cohen's testimony, if Democrats can gain control of the House during the midterms, impeachment could well be on the cards.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    In light of Cohen's testimony, if Democrats can gain control of the House during the midterms, impeachment could well be on the cards.
    Still a big if when it comes to taking control of the Senate, and they can chuck some serious spanners in impeachment proceedings and outcome.

Congressmen and early Trump advocates Duncan Hunter and Chris Collins also up for financial corruption. What a bunch. The Trump/Republican hierarchy is nothing but plastic mobsters, white nationalists and the most cynical venal proxies for big donor interests.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    The most delicious prospect of the Mueller enquiry is not that Trump would lose the presidency, but that he would lose his business, his assets and completely fuck the whole families financial legacy.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    JT141 said:
    Still a big if when it comes to taking control of the Senate, and they can chuck some serious spanners in impeachment proceedings and outcome.
    If a newly installed Pelosi manages to get impeachment proceedings rolling in the House, will it be a case of a simple majority vote (on the impeachment outcome) in the Senate? According to RCP's Election 2018 Senate Map, it's currently 45 Democrats, 48 Republicans and 7 toss ups; if you factor in McCain and Flake's vote, it could go either way.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Just found out "it requires a two-thirds super majority to convict a person being impeached". 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_in_the_United_States#Senate

If Muller's upcoming report is particularly damaging, hopefully that'll turn enough of the GOP against Trump.