Wednesday 8th August 2018 - Give me a bump and I'll hop out the whip

Morning.

Lyrics - Give me a bump and I'll hop out the whip

Glad you're feeling better emzap.

Did the physio tell you what he thought was wrong RFJ?

We are forecast a cooler day today but it's a nice morning. I'm hoping the wind doesn't rise as predicted for Sunday but not much I can do about it if it does.

What:           short and easy
Why:            Wednesday/taper
Last hard:    not making the most of this lovely weather
Last rest:     12/6
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

What: fitness suite plus perhaps a short run

Why: that sort of a day

Cricket was good, Emz...as long as you were a Durham fan, with Lancashire snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...again.

Very grey here, cooler and showers forecasts.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Wabo - sounds positive for Jodie, less so the OH, but hopefully it doesn't interrupt life too much
    WP - Trust me I take my fair share of biscuits after giving blood! Normally have to wait around an hour to donate (end of day back log) which can be quite frustrating but it's only 3x a year and I think of how long I've sat in stationary traffic on the M1/M3/M4/M25 in any given year (or indeed sat around waiting for teenage daughters to get ready before going out!!!)

What - easy lunchtime, coaching tonight
    Why - tired
    last rest - June
    last hard - Saturday
    Felt a bit tired last night but fortunately I was down on the rota to coach, so ended up just doing 3x 5minute efforts at 5k pace! 

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    LMH I don't know these lyrics but they intrigue me!! enjoy the short and easy
    Dustin I bet it made you tired!!! Yes Jodie seems a bit happier, well a tiny bit.  OH - I am just drinking a coffee then off to collect him, Its all done is all I know
    Alehouse, have a good day hope you enjoy the short run if you do

what: well I was meant to race later but cant see that, so a stolen mile it may have to be
    why: I have a patient
    last hard: yesterday am
    last rest: 31/12/16

have a good day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • What:
    Fruit picking in garden
    Swim shortly
    Hill race maybe this evening (still havering due to back)

Very pleasant day here
    Last hard yesterday
    Lyrics no as usual
  • Morning,

Wabo: I hope Jodie is doing well and also OH a tough time for everyone.xx

RFJ: I wish you a speedy recovery from your injury.

What: 2.5 miles/walk 2.5 miles
    Why: Because I fell
    Last hard: The Fall
    Lyrics Not sure so no

Pretty peed off I was having my fastest run for a long time at  later time as I went back to bed as tired and queasy. When I fell on uneven pavement I was trying to run through small gap as White van man had parked on narrow pavement, down I went hard sadly foot in a lot of pain.So no choice but walk sorry limp and shuffle the 2.5 miles home.Foot has swollen like a ball and bruising has come out and very painful.So looks like that is me for this week:-(
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    WP oh no :(
    Wabo hope OH is a good patient and he's ok after the op
    LMH what's on Sunday?
    Ale guessing you were not happy with that result!?

What: 5-12km later with a friend
    Why: we are going to see how we feel once we get going
    Last hard: the 3.8 km yesterday.  Legs are aching from it so a sign I need to listen to my body.  Definitely feeling much better than Monday though
    Lyrics: nope

Watching some of the open water swimming in the European champs.  There's a 5km, 10km and 25km!  It's staggering!

Have a lovely day all.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, WP!

Yes, Emz, Most unhappy with last night's Lancs' performance. And I watched some of the open water swimming, also: the 25k later in the week will be around 5 hours swimming I think!

What: short fitness suite session

Why: curtailed by rain...had to dash back home as had left the washing out! Hopefully some running later.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Sorry to hear you'll have to miss your race Wabo.

Ouch Poppy. Hope you recover quickly.

Cooler here today too Alehouse but no rain forecast until Friday.

Newark Half marathon emzap. Glad you're feeling better - sounds as though you may have had a bit of a virus?

Sorry to hear that your back is still troubling you OH.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Oh hell, Poppy. That doesn't sound good :( I hate reckless drivers who'd park anywhere just to save a few steps. Grrrrr.

Wabo: Healing vibes to your OH and fingers crossed for Jodie.

Em: Glad you're feeling a bit better. How can anyone swim 25k!! That would take me a week :D

LMH: Weather is always perfect when the taper is on...  and usually pretty pants when it's a high mileage week. Just sod's law I guess.

OH: Did you get those foot problems sorted? Or could they be the underlying cause for your back trouble?

Ale: hope you can get a little run in

What: Just 5 miles and a bit of yoga
    Why: sensibility
    Last hard: hottest night so far (it was 27 degrees at 7am FFS!) so there was not much sleep to be had
    Last rest: 21/6
    Lyrics: no

Yesterday's were "Too darn hot" - a Cole Porter song. I have a recording by Ella Fitzgerald but I reckon there must be a few others out there being a classic American songbook tune.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Poppy, that's grim.  Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Went to the club last night, it was 2 x 1.5 mile reps around Stirling Uni loch.  Decent runs, even paced.  Lots of warm up and down made 10 mile all in.  Easy run tonight I expect.  

Lyrics, nope
  • Ouch ouch ouch Poppy. Arnaca/witch hazel/ice, ice, baby. No fun. Hope it's just bruising.
    Nice to see most on the easy miles. Enjoy the swim OH. I like the sound of the fruit picking.
    Be patient with the patient Wabo and hope all are healing well. I can swim 25m but the thought of 25K...Aaaarrrgggghh. Chicksta: I couldn't sleep in 20 deg let alone 27 :-)
    Are you making progress Ale?
    1m20sec@ 5k pace x 15 last night with descending/ascending recovery times was a wee test last night so
    What: 10.5k steady and undulating with workies
    Why: Need some steady miles
    Last hard: Last night
    Last Rest: Sunday
    Lyrics: No bells ringing 
  • No Chicksta, the immediate cause of back issue was over enthusiastic macheting of overgrown weeds on St Magnus Way.
    Foot pain issues have improved with at least daily active foot stretching repetitions and change to neutral shoe (Brooks Ghost). Not sure if entirely resolved yet as I haven't gone above 10 miles.
    Half a mile sea swim before lunch in very pleasant conditions. 
    Will give this evening's hill race a go (expecting to be last)

A few raspberries and blackcurrants picked.
    Goose berries and redcurrants still to harvest.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the hill race OH.  Did you mean wavering, not havering?  lol

Just 2 miles done today, legs felt like lead.  No worries though, just fatigue.  
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    OH: been meaning to say, my physio swears by using a spiky ball (9cm), rolling it in every direction under the foot, and putting pressure on it. She says it also loosens the knees and hips. I have literally just taken delivery of mine (good for the back, also!). Enjoy tonight!
  • English English "havering" (indecisive) not Scots English havering, Don.

Spiky ball sounds like worth a try (although back anticipated to be short term from previous experience) Thanks AH
  • Completed hill race uneventfully. 2nd last but nevertheless a respectable time for course - 58m40
    5.13 miles 225m ascent with top section (half mile x 2) across stubbly heather)
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Managed 10 hilly km. Needed a few "view point appreciation" moments but feel more positive having got out though definitely still not 100%

Well done oh. Sounds like a tough race.