Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hey, Matt - you did the St Ives Bay 10k last year didn't you? Worth doing, or are the 4 miles of beach a total balls ache? Need to know quick - it starts in an hour and a half, 1M from where I am sitting :-)
    Not sure I can be arsed tbh - could just go for an easy run instead and get to drink beer sooner.......
  • Sorry that I couldn't get back to you in time Bus! Unfortunately I've not done the race, but I would have said it'd be worth a go just or something different! Saying that, I'm sure you've had enough with running around the dunes at Hayle :D

I'd recommend the Bucket of Blood Inn at Phillack, not far from the Hayle campsites!
    If you've enough time, and the consent of the family, I'd also recommend a coastal run out from St Ives towards Zennor and back, beautiful terrain!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Did you go and do it Bus? One the one hand, it's so close. On the other hand, a 10k is a bit more substantial than the 5k and down easy to smash off stuff.

One last Murder Mile related post.

This is the video from 2016. The breathing of the guy filming it, and the way people go from a slow jog to absolutely crawling helps put it into perspective :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isGQ64kxcyg

Think 2017 was filmed from the back, so didn't get on that one, and it wasn't as clear a view, and doubt this year's was filmed. Awaiting the pics tho :o

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just a ticking over Monday - Wed for me, 6&4 each day to tick over the mileage.

5x1km Pairs relay Thur which'll be fun, trip to Manchester/Yorkshire Fri/Sat combo, then make it up for a 55-60ish mile week .

Then we'll decide what's left of the summer flurry of races, whether it be 1 or 2 more 5ks, before getting back into a proper flow of training.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Of courseI did SG :-) After much dithering anyway! Registered 10 mins before the off!

I'm glad I did though. It was actually one of the toughest 10k races ive ever done - I'll post a proper job of a report tomorrow...

No worries Matt - it was a tall order! I'm intending trun to Zennor next week when we are staying in StIves.  I  walked that section of the SWCP many years ago with amassive rucsac on and remember it as wild and spectacular with lots of steep hills!

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    While we await Bus' more exciting report you can enjoy a brief one from me. As hinted last week I had decided a 5 miler was the next step to sorting my big drop-off from 5k upwards and Battersea Park was the 1st location to offer one with the Vets AC 5 miler tonight. Was touch and go whether to try it as a) it was too hot again (the car gauge showed 30 degrees as I parked up) and b) the race is a bit sparse for entries so can be lonely near the front end. Anyway not many alternatives over 5 miles coming soon so thought I'd give it a go.

Got there about 6.30pm for the 7pm start which is pretty good really with the London traffic having only left Sunningdale about 5.15pm. Recognised a Woking ac vet who is now v65 but has beaten me the last few times we have met (he is no. 2 v65 in the country mind :) ). Plan was to just follow him then and hang on as long as I could (that was also the failed plan at Yateley 10k last week when he dropped me after about 2k and ended 100 seconds ahead!). Race off on time and a bit sultry conditions but not too bad compared to some days lately. Through the 1st 3k quickly in 3'35, 3'45, 3'43 and still with the guy I was targeting (actually about 10 metres up at this stage). Then predictably I weakened, but not as bad as in all my recent 10k's with 3k's all around 3'50 then a couple of 3'55's. As usual the course seemed to measure a bit long at 8.15k (should be 8.05k) so ended up 31'00 despite my best efforts to squeeze into the 30'xx's! V65 guy only 36 seconds ahead this time so a much better showing I suppose. Really doesn't prove a lot, but does suggest I just need a bit more stamina to be able to see out a 10k properly and at least get back to 38'xx. Nice little event; fast course and good times possible, especially if we ever get respite from this heatwave. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Good work Pete. I know exactly what you mean about needing some more long race stamina!
    So, last night's race; only found out about it in a cafe at lunchtime and my legs were still feeling heavy from Sunday's exertions, which partly explained my reticence, particularly as I had already done a 4M walk and spent a couple of hours body-boarding. Anyway, having eventually decided to do it, my warm up involved jogging oveer some undulating dunes and getting misplaced on the way to the race HQ at the Hayle surf and life saving club - hence the late start! Although a low key affair, they had run out of offical numbers when I registered so I had to make do with a partly hand written job, with 211 suggesting at least that mfy runners. After a quick drink and loo stop I went down to the start,  which was literally a line in the sand! After a few quick strides and multiple retying of shoe laces, I lined myself up second row back, just behimd the hopeful locals in footbal shorts....

Pre race briefing, whihc included stuff about adders, drowning and falling off cliffs and we were off. Stretching out ahead were the first 3 miles along the beach, loosley marked out with marshals, but a general instruction to try and find your own line. Of we went and my aim was to just try and go sub 7 (sub 9 on this beach the day before was a struggle!). The hrst mile was a game of trying to find firm sand, but it ticked off ok in about 6.50.  I was holding my own and starting to pas the hopeful locals. Mile 2 became a bit of a grind, with the end of the beach section still on the far horizon and not getting any closer! Found a reasonably firm line, and tried to enjoy the crashing waves and beautiful views toward Godrevy lighthouse. By mile 3 I was around 10th place, with an obvious v50 not far in front.

We then turned inland and up steps over rocks, trying to avoid the swinging surfboards of curious surfers turning toward us! At the top of the steps I caught v50 guy. We tht ran together acros a hard packed, undulating trail thag sas a blessed relief from the endless sinking treacle of the beach. Around 3.5 I overtook, by taking a firmer line round the edge of a dune, but only for him to cog back and put some distance between us. By this point, I was starting to suffer fd by mile 4 a flurry of runners overtook, one by one, including the first lady (no, not Melania!). Oh well, I thought, just settle into a tempo and see what happens.  Just about 4.5M we hit the crux of the route - a large sand dune called Dune mother on Strava. Suddenly I am catching all but lnd of those who took me and my hil strength, together with some dune practice this week meant I was running, while they were reduced to a walk! By the top, I had taken 4 scalps, but my heart and lungs feltvlike they would burst! Immediately, there was a steep drop on sand all the way back to the beach, but my vision of a Lawrence or Arabianesque descent was quashed by my lunch wanting to make a retirn visit! To my surprise, despite my shuffle down to the beach, no one came past.

I'd steeled myself mentally for this last stretch along the beach to the finish - another 1.3 miles of molasses. Desperate to keep my place , I dug deep and decided to run further out toward the sea, avoiding the churned up sand  where the outbound runners had been, whilst those behind followed the racing  line.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This plan proved successful and the finish line drew closer. No one could catch me now. Or so I thought! 100m to go, and out of nowhere, v50 guy appeared on my left shoulder, the small but vocal crowd going wild! Did I have enough left for a sprint? Well, no, not really,  but I tried. Unsuccessfully.  And guess what? Yep, violent retching across the line!
    A concerned (and somewhat brave) marshal put her arm around me, but soon withdrew when the retching started again !

I went to tell the v50 guy what a bastard he was over a bit of a chin wag and a few cups of water. Turns out he is a local St Austell runner who, bizarrely, regularly holidays in High Wycombe!

They did a very quick presentation as it was getting quite cool  with a strong breeze on the beach.  I then shuffled up the cliff to HQ to get the results. 12th overall in 45.27. Happy enough with that, even if it is probably my slowest 10k!

As I was already on the cliff, I decide I would jog the 1.3 miles back along the coast path rather than the beach, to avoid the larg sand dune to get back to our apartment.  Mistake! A couple of wrong turns and the undulating nature of the path meant I swapped 1 dug, for 4 small hills and 3 small dunes - managed around 11 min miling! Sill, back to the apartment where a hot-tub, cold beer and glorious sunset awaited!

All in all, a good dayand glad I did the race after all....

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Nice race Pete, I think your wish might be granted, the proper heat could be over at last, love the dryness, but the heat is a little too much now. SG, enjoyed reading the reports..agree with Bus, Wales does seem a million miles away now, loved the bit about feeling surreal that you had just been there 24 hours ago ;) Bus..hope the race went ok. Great run Matt, nice and controlled, felt warm reading it!

So had an interesting few days. Let's do bullet points (yes lots to tell..)
    • Saturday - off to Liverpool on the train to the BAL 5000m. Nice trip and like the place, the walk to Wavertree from the station. Must be because my gran was from Liverpool..faaaamily innit. Lovely 21 degrees and a bit of breeze. Felt more up for it than Pompey BAL and we went off in the usual 15.45 ish sort of pace. I was basically on the front of the second group and felt generally ok, but the breeze started to bite and hit the bell on 14.38..sadly I was really tired and stumbled round the last lap again in 79 to go over in 15.57..really start going out of my comfort zone after 3k at the moment, which is ok with Malaga and the 1500 in mind. Last strength training race is the 5000m at MK. Where I will be able to watch the Dachs man race with a tinnie in my hand. Weather looks breezy yet again. 
    • Sunday - off to Sheffield with the missus to help with the UKWL, it's the Sheffield Hallam course. Had a tough 12 miler down to the Orgreave colliery site (where there was a riot with the police in 84?) and there is a new estate and a lake. Then caught Christine Ohuruogu's last race a 4x400 leg for Newham. Her sister was loads faster, its on Facebook if anyone interested.
    • Monday - usual disaster 4 hour crawl down to the folks in Poole. Usual run back about 10 miles from being dropped off at the Vitality (Dean Court to you and me) along the sea front and back to the folks place
    • Yesterday- dropped off to near the Vitality again to the athletics track for my 8 x 1k session. LUckily it was open, paid my £4.80 and tried to get on with it. Supposed to be 3.05's off 80. Tough as it as blazing sunshine, but managed to start on a 3.09, got down to 3.03 for a couple and then up to the 3.07's. So really pleased with that, best session for a while. 
    • Today. Fed up with typing so off to run for an hour. 
    So half a session tomorrow, then MK Saturday. 

• Great report Bus, only just seen it!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff Bus. 45mins for 10k while working hard definitely paints a picture!! Good to sneak a race in when you are somewhere anyway. I suppose you lose that "race trip" feel though, that sometimes is needed for the bigger performances.
    Any thoughts of a big race in the autumn for a potential thread trip?

Simon, that's a heck of a lot of travelling there! You've done well to get some decent running into the mixer.

Wales was the first time I've done a race after a stay over somewhere, so i will look for more options for that sort of thing going forward. Try and make doubles of some of the footy trips rather than a straight forward drive up and back for a single game.
  • Just a quick remark to Pete: if you are racing 5 miles then set the GPS to miles and not pace per km. 

Down to half a leg at the moment so resting for a few weeks.
  • In case you're truly having fun in conjunction with your four leglike partner dog tugs, dog balls, dog toys and dog rewards provide simulation and joy.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Any good reason to Phil? I always think in terms of pace per k and like to hear the beep more regularly than you get with miles as it helps focus on the right pace. I know you need add the 9 metres per mile so expect for example a 5 miler to be 8.05k or so but that's no big deal.

Hope your missing leg and a half are back with you soon. Sounds very frustrating.  
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's madness is why pete.
    You're taking kms that are probably not accurate anyway and then you see a mile marker. It's headmess material.

Speedy recovery phil. Sounds a crock and a half. Can recommend an oesteo who will do more than the mythical back click to fix all!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Totally disagree SG; markers on courses are often inaccurately placed and I work in k's anyway so mile markers not very helpful to my thinking. I largely jgnore mile markers as most races I do are in k's anyway. For 5 milers,10 milers and HM I just think 8k, 16k and 21k knowing I've a few metres more at the end (assuming garmin and course both precise and you tale the perfect line which rarely happens so there is usually some fluctuation whatever). 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Each to their own, but not something i'll ever get!
    Take the sub 30 5mile aim, 6.00 pace.

5mile is 8.07 km, meaning you need 3.72 per km... 3.43 km?

Much more awkward maths, and simply a bonkers way of thinking about it :)

On another bonkers thing, some guy just responded to a post i made on another thread...  5 1/2 years on!! I think the moment has passed.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers chaps. Bloomin busy week that Simon!

What's ailing you Philip?

Pete - you won't be allowed to get away with that sort of foreign Johnny malarkey post Brexit you know! All races will be in miles! Oddly, last night's 10k was set out with mile markers!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    SG; no need to over-complicate. If its a 6 min mile target its about a 3'45 per k target.(5/8ths). Yes there are the extra 9 metres per mile so you might aim at 3'43 av. but you know that and, as I say, you can never be sure of exact distances anyway. What do you mile devotees do in k races then? Switch to k's so all of a sudden you've got to start thinking in k's and pace per k when you're used to miles? Also saves faffing with your watch my way and anything that minimises hassle suits me :)

Lol Bus; that would really throw me if a 10k race had mile markers!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You split the race down into what the measurements are... so 5k 10k make sense to do in km.
    Doing a half marathon by km is even sillier, as you have even more splits to bamboozle your brain with.

Keep it simple son.
  • I'm afraid I'm with Pete, but the other way - mile splits for every occasion! I'm not too good at converting paces between miles and kms, so I stick with what I know - miles (even though everyone else my age berates me for not using kms...)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Do those people train in km then Matt?

That seems an even stranger concept to me.

Oh I went and did a 21km run at 3.55 a km.

What?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Pete, are you at the big relays tomorrow?

Wool has lined up a fast partner, so they look to be the favourites, but hopefully me and Chris will have a good little runabout.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Glad I'm not the only one then Matt!

I do that yes SG; regular long run is about 13.5k in an hour which is around 4'30 pace. I had to translate that last week before I posted about my 'long' runs as I know most of you work in miles! 

Surely k's are better for reps as most tend to be 400's, 800's etc. 

Not at the relays as thought I'd be on hols but now not till next week. Shame as Datchet course is nicer and faster than ours. 
  • Yep, everything in kms SG!

You'll probably both cringe at this, but even if I'm doing km reps I'll have my watch at min/mi and think "ticking along at 5:45, great" :D 

I wish there were some relay style events down this way, I really enjoy them!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Pair of punks.

Relays are quality. Good way of getting a race in but in a more informal team work way.

After tomorrow itll be 2xpairs 5x1km, the 4some upton court one, the club handicap 4 and the runnymede one. Ah yes the 3x1mile one too!

6 relays which isnt bad when we had to pull out of both the 12stage ones as well as not bothering with the masters relays!
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    We may not even make the start line SG. My flight is scheduled to land at LHR at 17:45. It’s going to be tight!

If we do run I’ll be doing them Matt-style. Min/mile on the watch all the way for me. In a 5k / 10k I do the same and then manual lap at the markers. Twisted.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Well done on all the races guys.

I'm able to do all the conversions from miles to Km's, on any distance you can come up with, without having to resort to Google.

I know a guy who can do this in his head.

I'm sticking to standards and those for me in running are minute miling. Not so sure about cycling. It seems a bit one way or the other at the moment.

Pete, you might disagree with SG on the units but you'll only garner support from newbies and other parkrun main-liners for Km's.

Distance running, road running is miles. It's minute miling. The fact you don't appreciate what a mile is makes me wonder if you aren't from this country.

Km's! a unit of distance that is downright un American if you ask me.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    ha ha SG you dont like different do you :)   

regardless of using KM/Miles pace readings its the same pace on the tarmac.  the only thing that differs is your own view point .  if you train in KM's and race a 5k...surely you would race using km pace.  you spend all training in KM paces so they are familiar so stick with what you know.

But bottom line it really doesnt matter :)

good couple of races above for pete and Bus.   Must be honest that beach race sounded a bit tough to me.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    It's unsettling :)

It's all good joshing though. And like running distance versus time it is preference