Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    DT19 - well done churning out that 20 miler. Good training still on holiday too.
    OO -  I should think you'll be fine with 6.5 mins under the GFA time. But there are going to be some very disappointed people, especially if it's something they've been striving to achieve for a while and end up missing out. Good luck with the 10k tomorrow.
    Badbark - some very impressive training there - congrats on the parkrun win. I've been wearing Aldi and Lidl shoes for years and haven't had any running related injuries.
    Stevie - cracking tempo run and well done on the mileage.
    SBD- good MLR and great MP effort in your long run at the end of a 76 mile week.
    Leslie - keep plugging away and it will pay off in the end.
    Poacher - decent parkrun. Looking more hopeful for Berlin.
    GD - good MLR in the heat.
    Very late to bed on Friday (well very late for me anyway!), so had a rest on Saturday morning. Went out early on Sunday instead for a 16 mile MLR (3 @ 8:23, 7 @ 7:43, 6 @ 7:31). 64 for the week. 10 miler this morning with 10 x 100m strides, avg pace 7:50/m.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Badbark - Incredibly impressive weekly total and congratulations to your daughter. How is a 109 mile week structured, how many double days?

SBD - Got my plan through for the next two weeks last night. Similar mileage this week with a 10m tempo & 12 x 1k on the track tomorrow. Cutback week next week as I will be racing parkrun, looking forward to that!

OO - Good luck with the 10k, are you aiming for a PB?

DT - Good holiday running. I feel its making a big difference already, over the next 3 months I've got a 5k, 10k, HM and Marathon so hoping to chalk 4 PBs off in a row.

Gul - Great running as usual, I imagine a rest for you is still earlier then I get up!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Not many pbs come at 55 Stevie but a sub 37 would be the target. There are a few hills so might be a big ask. In any case there are age category prizes which would also be nice.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Stevie, if I don't go sub 3 in the Autumn then it's something I might look at doing. 

I don't think the gfa times will reduce much at all. there are only about 3800 men in the UK with qualifying times right now. Also if you look at results, i 2016 I came about 2800th man with 3.08.34. which means about 3000 men will have run sub 3.10 which encompasses the 2 gfa times that contribute most runners. Take out of that the foreign runners and those sub 2.45 and then in turn the huge chunk of runners under 40 who ran 3.00 to 3.10 there aren't really 3000 UK male gfa runners who run London. 

I'm not saying there won't be any reduction but if there is it'll be nominal based on numbers I have crunched. 
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    StevieWh said:

Badbark - Incredibly impressive weekly total and congratulations to your daughter. How is a 109 mile week structured, how many double days?

12 e to and from work double - 8m/m 1:36 24
    11 e + 6 e 17
    10 w/ 5 x 1 mi @6:17 ave 10
    13 mlr 13.1
    11.1 w/ 10x10 sec hill sprints  11.1
    22 including Parkrun 18:26 -  1st finisher 22
    10.5 e + Charlotte's Junior Parkrun 21  11.8

Copied from my training spreadsheet
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    On paper that looks quite doable! I'm sure in practice it feels very tough!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Looks knackeing to me Badbark. One amusing thing, it's impossible to do a 13 mile training run and not make it a 13.1  :D

28 degrees when I set off tonight. I might as well be training for the Marathon Des Sables! Training in this heat so regularly is getting tiresome now. I just don't seem to be able to get decent speed work done. 

Still, getting miles down however I can seems to be doing the trick as when it dipped to low 20s last week I was definitely quicker.

Tonight was a 7 mile sweat fest. I decided to see what the first mile felt like and make it up from there. Ended up doing 7 miles at what will hopefully be MP (7.00) but a 6.38 final mile brought the average down to 6.57.

Might rest tomorrow as forecast has it cooler from Wednesday...
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Stevie In answer to your question my half has one big hill and  a few small climbs been a while since I ran it and it completely changed route a few years back. 12x1k now that's a session and a half !!!!!
    Dt enjoy Lanzatote had a few runs out to the airport while on holiday there in the past.
    Gul decent 10 with  strides.
    0054 sub 37 should be in reach.
    Badbark a tough week alright but you seem to manage it.
    Gdawg a tasty mara pace there .

4 very slow ones, knee complaining a bit after Saturday, but hoping for some Kenyan hills tonight after work.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - yes, I was still up just after 6:30 making breakfast.
    Badbark - that's some schedule - makes those hard efforts seem even more impressive. 
    GD - that sounds like a pretty decent tempo run to me. Yes, the cooler weather is on its way.
    Leslie - club session tonight, I presume?
    Overslept a bit, so ended up pushing a bit harder than I should have done for an MLR this morning. 14 miles in total - 2M w/u, 4M @ 7:16, 7M @ 6:50, 1M w/d.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul tasty number there for your run , I will be out myself tonight,session will be over before I leave work unfortunately but will be using the same hill .
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Stevie – To be honest it looks tougher than it actually felt. Out of the 109 miles only 8 were quicker than 7 m/m pace, 6 at 7 m/m pace and the rest between 7:30 and 9 m/m. My planned MP is around 6:25 pace so most miles felt easy.

GD – Yes, I don’t think I’ve ever run 13 or 26 miles without added the extra bit! I also never stop at x.9 either. :) Very good MP run especially in the heat and a fast finish.

Leslie – I hope your knees improve and enjoy the Kenyan hills

Gul – Very nippy MLR

After running a 24 mile commute yesterday and 10 this morning, I’ve now run 143 miles in 9 days. I was thinking this was quite a lot, then remembered that I ran almost that distance in 24 hours, just 6 weeks ago. So I’m taking it easy really. :D

I’m running a low key marathon tomorrow at a moderate pace. Hopefully something like the Kenyan runners 40k tempo runs, which is about MP+ 30 to 45 seconds. I’ll slow this down if my legs complain too much.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

That is a lot of miles Badmark - the marathon tempo run sounds like hard work.

A quick pace on the MLR Gul - you should sleep in more often!

Enjoy the hills Leslie.

Good MP miles despite the sweatfest G-D.

I'm sure you'll be fine on the GFA entry DT!

Hope you enjoyed the 12 x 1k Stevie!

It's been a long day in the heat and I was struggling for motivation for tonight's run.  A couple of beers relaxing in the garden seemed more appropriate.  Managed to overcome these dangerous thoughts and get out there for a steady 10 miles at 7:30pm.  The legs felt fine once they'd got moving and a few drops of rain helped freshen up the air.  Felt much better at the end having completed the run at a steady 7:41 pace.

Hopefully some cooler weather tomorrow!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Badbark enjoy the training mara ! and hopefully a low key podium place.
    SBD nice 10 in the heat,bit cooler over here glad we didn't get the silly temps for more than a few days ,20c is just fine for me.

Got the hills done on my own decided 6 reps was the number ,(club would have been 3 to 5 reps usually ) about 1/3 mile hill and 7m/mile up with 6:50 down and no rests for 4m of quality.Not as easy on your own after doing most of my sessions with the club recently. 6 miles in total.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Great MLR Gul _ very speedy!

Well done for avoiding the beers SBD, its tough in this heat!

Great hill reps Leslie, the pace is definitely coming back to you!

So 12 x 1k last night with 90s static recovery, went really well! There was a fairly strong headwind down the home straight which seemed to slow me every other lap. Aim was to start at 6.15 pace (3.53/rep) and work down from there. Reps went:

Would have like to have been a bit more consistent but I'm chuffed with the paces! Average of 3.45 which would give me a sub 38 10k.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - nice hill work.
    Badbark - enjoy the casual 3:0x marathon ;)
    SBD - well done overcoming temptation last night - a bit cooler here today, but more of a noticeable change in the weather coming tomorrow now I think.
    Stevie - impressive reps there especially for a set of 12 - good work.
    Easy run this morning. 6 miles @ 8:22/m.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - cracking MLR yesterday  . . 

Badbark - pleased to see you're "taking it easy" :)   hope the marathon going (gone) well 

SBD - nice work overcoming "the voices"  . . .   

Leslie - good solo session there  

Stevie - what Gul said !   well done  . .  

week 2 of the "stop messing" schedule here ;   Monday - track (gasp) - met my daughter there at 4:30 pm, so was very  hot  -  3 miles jogging, 4 x 800m (daughter 3 x 1 mile), then a mile jog.  Rest yesterday, 16 miles this morning - was great to feel coolish air on my arms and legs .  So far, so good.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

SBD – Well done on dodging the beer demons and completing a good 10 miler

Leslie – That’s a great session hilly session you managed

Stevie- Excellent interval session and bodes well for fast racing to come

Gul – Yes spot on, I enjoyed the 3:0x marathon. Thanks for the previous tip about the Lidl shoes. I’m going to try a pair after Berlin

Birch – Great intervals and MLR completed

I ran the EAMS Carrickfergus Castle marathon today. There was a small field and I finished first by a long margin in 3:06, averaging 7:06 m/m pace. It was definitely one of the easiest marathons I’ve ever done and my HR average was only 131. It’s usually about 150 when I race marathons hard.

My Garmin reported a new highest ever VO2Max of 64 during the race. Including the warmup I’ve now run 171 miles in 10 days, so the next two days will be very easy. I’ll put some effort into Saturdays longer run at a Parkrun and then take a well-deserved rest day on Sunday.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    congrats on the victory, Badbark - and impressive stats - maybe you'll have one of SBD's beers tonight!

btw, 16 is a long run for me at pres  :)     
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Gold medal for Badbark again. Well played!

A tad cooler tonight at around 21 degrees. Felt the difference. Only a 5 miler but managed to average 6.27 pace, all miles were progressively quicker with a 6.14 for the final mile.

Nice to get some proper speed work done. I needed that.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Well done on the victory Badbark and a nice time too.  You definitely deserve my beer!

Speedy miles G-D.

Excellent long run Birch and a good start to the "stop messing" schedule.

Good easy miles Gul.

A tasty 1K session Stevie - was that on the track?  It's a pain when the wind messes up the 1K split times! 

Well done on getting through the hill session Leslie.

A welcome change to the temperature here as well.  Still got the CNBA Fairy on my case but managed to sidestep her and get out for the 15 mile MLR.  Nice to be running in what felt like cool conditions. Tried to push the pace up to MP+10% after 7.5 miles but the legs were not keen and the pace dropped back down toward 7:30 giving an average of 7:42 for the run.  In need of a cut-back week!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hi folks, got back from the Nederlands last night. Had an amazing time with my boy, sister's family and my mum out there. Such a beautiful part of the world. The weather was perfect, mid to high 20'sc every day with the the last day being the hottest around 34c. We spent half our time on the beaches nearby in a place called Wassenaar, absolutely stunning coastline and managed to do about 4 barefoot 5k beach runs just along the incoming tide. It was pure bliss. Back to reality today and back in work. Did a nice 5k along the prom in much cooler weather, only about 21c today and managed to average 6:24 pace which was pleasing after 8 days of drinking beer, wine and eating like a horse. Managed to do 8 runs in total when on holiday but all short stuff with a few double days as I was running in the morning when sis was in work and joining her in the evenings when she got home. It's so nice to share the running thing with a loved one, my son joined me on a 2.5k jog and he really enjoyed it too running along the canals. 

Some serious running going on here whilst I've been away.

Badbark
    cruising to a marathon win in 3:06 with a super low avg HR. Very impressive sir!

Gul is continuing to show some great fitness with some very tasty paces for MLR's at the usual middle of the night times. :wink:

Birch
    is back on it! Nice 16 noted and a track sesh to boot! Hurrah! 

SBD - Great will power and you're keeping the great training up. Putting me to shame as I was necking the beer in Holland but that's what holiday's are for hey. Nice MLR today and a cut back week sounds good. Agreed on the cooler weather for a bit. 

G-Dawg - Great MP run in the heat. All this warm weather training through the summer months will hopefully reap dividends come Abo time. :) Very speedy 5 miler too! 

Leslie - A tough but quality solo session and great to do for the mind and body. 

Stevie - 12 x 1k is a seriously tough session. Well done and those splits are really impressive and indicative of your current fitness levels. When is your 10k? I recall you mentioning you had one coming up? 

DT- Interesting number crunching there. I too would like to give sub 3 a crack but I think next year would be more realistic for me. What marathons have you got lined up for yourself? I may be tempted to do Manchester again. 

OO - Awaiting your 10k report! ;)

I have to get back to marathon training this weekend as it's been about 5 weeks since I've done any kind of endurance work. Will try do my first 20 miler of the campaign and that will be my first since Amsterdam mara last year. Could be interesting. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Badbark amazing runniing sir- after such a high mileage spell . Cannot understand how you do it.
    Glad you had a great holiday Gerard especially with your sis. Lost mine many years ago so can identify with the sentiment.
    10k went ok with a 37:03. I slowed a bit in the middle but held it together to take 1st v55.

• Welldone 0054, an excellent 10km time for a V55 runner! On par with a sub 35 minute 10km time for a runner in his 20 or 30s.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks sub17 yes indeed, got to give those going guys a run for their money ;)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - track session at 4:30pm must have been hard work - and well done on getting a 16 miler in.
    Badbark - congrats on another win; signs are looking exceedingly promising indeed.
    GD - speedy 5 miler.
    SBD - good effort. Your cut-back week is now in sight!
    GM - sounds like a great holiday with some good running too. Hope the 20 miler goes well.
    OO - cracking 10k, must be a high WAVA - congrats on the V55 win.
    A bit cloudy here this morning and no sign of daylight until 5:00am. Will probably have to do a few miles around town before heading out into the countryside for my long runs now. Steady 12 miles this morning, avg. pace 7:55/m.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Birch - Good long run and track reps, wish I had someone to join me on the track! Sounds like the schedule is going well

Badbark - congrats on another win! Fantastically low HR rate as well, the high miles are paying off

SBD - Yes that was on the track, I really enjoy the track sessions. Is the cut back week next week?

Gerard - Sounds like you had a great trip! Always good to spend time with the family and I agree Amsterdam is a lovely city. I've only been on a Stag but plan to go again with my girlfriend, may try and incorporate the marathon as well. Manchester is on my radar for next year if I don't get a London place. 10k is 9th September, its fairly flat and I run a big chunk of the course on my tempos so hopefully can set a good time

OO - That's understating a fantastic time! Well done, you must have been pretty far ahead in your age cat.

Rest day yesterday and an easy 6 tonight with some strength and core work planned.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    There's a other good v55 Stevie who won the catagory last year. He was about 20secs behind. But yes all in all a good run though 36:XX would have been sweeter ;)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    OO - That's really sad, I'm sorry to hear that. I adore my sister and we have a very close bond. Family time together is precious. 

Had a lovely 5k run today on lunch. Still feeling cooler here and quite breezy. Did an unusual type of run as I didn't want to over do it after yesterday's 5k, so decided to do 800 easy and then 200 hard x 5. Felt really good and managed to hit sub 5mm pace for the 200's maxing out at 4:3x. Feel like I'm getting some decent speed back after a poor few months when I felt like I hit a wall in terms of effort levels not being great. Planning a recovery jog tomorrow, parkrun Saturday and then a LSR on Sunday. 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Badbark nice to get the win while just cruising !
    0054 a cracking time but we always want more .
    Gul nice mlr
    Stevie getting quicker as those reps went on.
    Gerard sub 5 is shifting some alright !

3.5m yesterday at about 9:30 pace and it was a struggle trying to follow my daughter on her bike .

Club 35 min tempo tonight managed 5 miles in 34:50 so 7m/miles.
    splits : 7:01,  7:06, 7:22, 6:41, 6:40 hills slowed the pace a bit in the middle 
    My knee felt like it had been hit with a hammer very soon after but a good soak in the bath has eased it a lot thankfully !!!!!!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Great marathon, Badbark. my main surprise here is how come some organised a Wednesday morning mara. 

OO, smashing 10k. I've always felt I could dream of sub 37 but to be on the edge at v55 is amazing. Surely there's a wava record in there?

Gerard, Yorkshire 14th october. I feel I just need some decent weather to do it. What happens beyond that really depends whether I sub 3 .

on the topic of London gfa you also have to factor in the time period of Jan 17 to August 18. it means that from the usual 2 year qualification period you've lost autumn 16. it means an autumn mara will only count once for London gfa. I'll be surprised if if drops below the times fixed. 

if I don't get gfa I probably have a 50/50 chance in my club draw. However we are on about going to Edinburgh next May school holidays anyway with kids so will do mara but my choice otherwise is Manchester. if I got sub 3 in October I'd be tempted to have a season off. 

Good running everyone else.

I've had some good runs. I've a 3.5 and 6.1 mile routes which I alternate. 3.5 today at 7.08 average with a 6.36 mile 3. Some nasty headwinds and over 30c so happy with that. my 2 runs on the 6.1 loop have been 7.16 and 7.13mm so far both of which are faster than last year's fastest time. my first mile is always uphill against the wind so slow. 

Will hopefully go again tomorrow.