Tuesday, 9 August 2018 - Gotta Run for shelter

Bonjour :)

Today's lyrics: Gotta run for shelter, gotta run for shade

Sounds like a tough race, OH especially with your ongoing back issues. Well done :+1:

Those spiky balls are worth their weight in gold. Even better than the foam roller as you can target a very specific point and get pretty deep into the muscle.

So apparently thunderstorms tonight and a slightly cooler day (only 24) tomorrow before it heats up again.

Hoping for an MLR.

Still pitch black out there :/

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Frohlichen Donnerstag!

Hope you enjoyed a MLR, Chick.

What: short run and fitness suite this evening

Why: Thursday

Lyrics: nein
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - Shady Love by Scissor Sisters.

Glad you had a good race OH and that you are feeling better emzap.

Hope the cooler weather made for a good run chicksta.

How is your knee Alehouse?

What:         short and easy/physio
    Why:          taper/maintenance
    Last hard:  sleeping (work stress)
    Last rest:   12/6

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Knee considerably better, I think, LMH, but won't really know until I have run for 20-30 minutes. Have only run 34k in the last 9 weeks and just under 200 so far this year: definitely getting less fit by the day!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • That's really good to hear Alehouse - don't worry about the mileage, getting back to it in a sustainable way is the main thing.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all, but I certainly hope it's Thursday not Tuesday!
    Well raced OH , doesn't sound teh easiest of courses.
    Yikes Poppy, take things easy
    Interesting session SC with the 5k reps. Right up my street!
    OH,Ale,Chick - another spiky ball fan here. Recommended by my fizz and find it very useful for glute tightness amongst other things.

What - easy lunchtime, easy evening
    Why - recovery, coaching
    last rest - June
    last hard - yesterday 2x2miles at tempo , either side of a short coaching session
    lyric - possibly 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Ooops, looks like I was still half asleep when I started today's thread. I posted from my phone and fell once again victim to useless predictive texting :D

Ale: Good news regarding the knee. Fitness will return in due course.

Dustin: 2 miles @ tempo sounds painful.

LMH: Sorry to hear that work stress kept you awake. It has yet to cool down although 20 almost feels cold to me these days. Looks like I'm slowly adapting to this summer running lark.

What: 13 miles
    Why: legs were playing ball
    Last hard: waiting for rain last night but it never came
    Last rest: 21/6

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    HA HA  it says Tuesday that had me fooled... Lyrics oh yes!
    WP oh no, I am so so sorry to hear about your fall, I hope not too much damage is done :-(
    OH was a very good patient, he slept for hours so I watched the diving!!
    Dustin enjoy your easy easy!!
    alehouse good news re knee!
    LMH you have a good short and easy, race report to follow  ;)
    chick hope you get a good mlr, shady and cool is nice

SO because OH's mum came back early I was able to do my race - yippee!
    I started so so and got to the top of the first hill and a woman spectating pointed her water bottle at me and went 'that's about my pace'.  What with that comment and a guy from my club grunting and spitting behind me, I accelerated off past my mate sacha!! I was thinking, come on then lady, this your pace??? Come and do it!! I tell you she did the right thing for me. Sacha did catch me and beat me, she is 20 years younger and running better! I had such a good strong finish.  Felt good and strong.  OH said to me before I left, if you don't go under 30 mins don't come back, I said I might run slow, his mum liked that!! He was joking of course, anyway I did it in 29.43, hilly off road 5k. Very please.

What: just a mile, and in rain yippee
    why: I am experiencing sore  feet at the moment
    last hard: last night
    last rest: 31/12/16

Just spent more than I usually do, new running shoes coming, NB 1080, reviews rave about the cushioning.  I think my poor old feet need that, the bones of them feel sore. Anyone else over 60 here who feels that?
    have a nice cool day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Morning,

Chick : well done on MLR especially in the dark and the heat.

LMH: Enjoy your run and hope the work stresses ease for you:-(

Ale: That is good news on progress with your knee slowly slowly catche monkey:-)

Dustin: 2 miles Tempo sounds interesting......;-)

Wabo: Well done on race-yay and new shoes;-) I have new shoes coming tomorrow;-)

Nothing for me foot is totally black from bruising from the toes to above ankle Arnica being used and RICE I am walking or shuffling a bit easier The side is pretty painful .Lets hope by next week I can be back running:-(
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Really pleased you were able to race Wabo and have such a good one too.

Nice MLR chicksta - you're putting in some good mileage.

Keep it easy Dustin.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done, Wabo! When's the next one? And I note the weather in the south-east: they are saying there may be no play today in the test at Lords today. Bright and sunny here!

Predictive text, Chick: I have been in trouble with my brother's wife recently. Her name is Muriel: predictive text calls her Murder, which I have to say is most appropriate.
  • Rest, possibly swim
    A bit stiff after last night (knees)
    Considering trade-in!
    Last hard: yesterday's race
    Don't know lyrics ( but do know day of week!  ;) )
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    alehouse, next race is Saturday morning - Elvis 5 miler off road :-)
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    race tally will be 31 I think on Saturday...
  • Chicksta: I use a foam roller (try to at least) everyday) never seen the spikey balls you talk of, I did get two tennis balls from the poud shop and make a ‘peanut’ by taping them together with loads of parcel tape. Might look in to the spikey ball thing. Computer use means back and posture have to be regularly considered. Great going on MLR.

Ale: Short run, wahooh, I really hope it is promising and goes well. Getting back in the saddle.

LMH: Enjoy short/easy and hope work eases

Dustin: Enjoy lunchtime, you have a weird weather pattern coming Helen Willits on BBC weather said last night. Gales?

Wabo: That’s ace! You must be on top of the world. Well done. Worth the sore feet. Will be intrigued to know how the New Balance are received. I’ve been looking at reviews of those also, my Asics Cumulus since version 6 have done me proud for last 10 or 11 years, but now they are rubbish, nip my toes (even with size up) and don’t seem as soft, feel like knackered trainers after just a month.

Welsh: So sorry to hear of you fall and resultant injury. Very frustrating, hope arnica is helping, just the frustration of time to heal.

OH: Wiggle sell new knees with 6 month guarantee and deliver to Scottish Highlands and Islands.

Did 10.5 miles Tuesday evening it was one of my best, felt I could have gone on and on, but time was against me. Was up and out early yesterday (Wed) for Thornton le Dale Show, a cracking event, back later than expected. Didn’t meet up with my running mate, I had limited time last night to get a run (50 mins) so opted for a rare event, I thought I would go for a blast on the treadmill at the gym as it pushes me at a faster pace, which I thought would be a good way to get a more energy dissipated run in a shorter space of time.

My goodness! It is like a terrible hangover when you say, never doing that again and then the following week you do. What a thoroughly boring 45min run. The last time I went on the treadmill was about 6 to 7 months ago because of the ice on the paths and streets, I remember saying then, never again… Last night I said it again. Still it fulfilled the need.

What: ‘Werkin, gym early evening, pyramid weight sessions

Why: Don’t like to do third day running, have right knee twinge and left foot twinge, like to ensure every third day is a running break so as not to aggravate twinges.

Lyrics: Well I broke my Popmaster record yet again today, 33 points (wahey), couldn’t get the lyrics to ‘Year 2525’ song. However these lyrics are a no.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Wabo: Brilliant!! Glad you were able to race and knock out such a good one. That spectator woman must have been a bit deluded ;)

Re. sore feet: I'm 50 and my big toe joints are fckd (arthritis). I need surgery at some point but that means 8 weeks of no exercise. I can manage the pain with cushioned shoes, voltarol gel and the occasional ibuprofen. Rolling the feet on the spiky ball also helps.

Poppy: So annoying about your fall. At least nothing is broken. The bruising should heal quickly I suppose.

alehouse said:

Predictive text, Chick: I have been in trouble with my brother's wife recently. Her name is Muriel: predictive text calls her Murder, which I have to say is most appropriate.

:D

Benjy: "Wiggle sell new knees with 6 month guarantee and deliver to Scottish Highlands and Islands"  Your posts are hilarious and always make me smile :) Your 10.5 miler sounds brilliant. I call those Forest Gump runs. Doesn't happen that often, sadly. And I'm with you on the treadie. Time doesn't seem to pass on them. I can only manage by doing tempo stuff or intervals to alleviate the boredom.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    sounds like I need a spikey ball too!!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Actually the spiky ball I ordered is 8cm and yellow: 

https://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom_Spiky_Massage_Ball_8cm_X2/2267/39065.html

I have also bought a new one of these which is good for sitting on or putting behind the back, as well as to "wobble" on:

https://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom_NEW_Air_Stability_Wobble_Balance_Rehab_Fitness_Cushion_35cm/3184/39222.html

Plenty of other suppliers out there!