Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Snap my plan is the same Gerard . I'm struggling to reach 50 this week.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Wicked skills, GM. Looks proper rapid, that pace. Such a nice feeling when a run indicates a rise in levels.

OO, superb running, Guv, you're only one age cat above but seeing what you do and other v55s gives great inspiration to us slower oldies.

Worked from home this morning as had London meetings this afternoon. This gave me a lunchtime running opportunity. Ventured out on an 8 miler in light rain on a lumpy out and back route.

Could feel last night's tempo session in the legs but the cooler temps really made a difference. Avg was 6.57 and felt quite strong. 

Seems to show that plugging away doing whatever you can in hot conditions can still deliver improvement further down the line.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Definitely GDawg, got to drag yourself out whatever the conditions.Ive got a 5k race next week then a long gap until great north run. I need to find another race to keep me focused.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    DT19, I haven't managed sub 37 this year but did it twice last year, once on the road and once on the track. I think there is still one in me at 55, it's a distance that suits me.
    On the mara theme I think Manchester turned out to be the best this year as they were lucky with the weather. Hope you are right about GFA!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - good sprinting. Have a good weekend.
    Leslie good tempo effort. Glad the knee was okay later.
    DT19 - good running. I'm in the ballot for VLM2019 (so no chance) and hoping to get a GFA for 2020 (good chance in theory, but in practice...)
    GM - excellent lunchtime run.
    6 mile recovery run this morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Jersey Mara in October is still open if anyone fancies a rendezvous with me and Gerard ;)
    Easy 10 this morning- the rain has arrived!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Gerard - your break sounds it was just the job !  

OO - great 10K time - hope your race search finds another 10K - I'm sure you can shave the necessary 4 seconds . . .

easy 4 yesterday, similar 6 this morn

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Great speed Gerard, sub 5 is very impressive!

Congratulations on the win Badbark!

10m tempo tonight, started off slightly slower and worked down to 6.25 pace. Average of 6.37 which I'm happy with as it was all controlled. 
    May have to do my long run tomorrow as I'm having an early birthday BBQ Saturday night which will be boozy and not conducive to a Sunday long run!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Good tempo run Stevie - 10 miles is a long way for a tempo run!  Recovery week is next week so just a few more days to go ...

Easy miles are all good Birch.

Excellent result on the 10K OO - I'm sure you'll get back under 37 minutes in the right race. 

Good recovery miles Gul - what week are you on?

That's a quick lunch-time 8 miler G-D.

Well done on getting the runs in DT

Good tempo session Leslie - the gains are coming.

Good to hear you enjoyed the holiday Gerard.  We went to Holland a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed running on the cycle paths.  There was one day when it was raining quite heavy and I had my three sons cycling behind me for the pre-dinner 10K run - not sure what the locals made of us!  Good turn of speed on your 5K.

Tempo session tonight.  Have done the last two of these on the treadmill as it was very hot and decided to use the gym again tonight to get a benchmark of where I'm at as I'm feeling very slow at the moment.  So, 4K warm-up, 8K at tempo pace and 4k warm-down.  The tempo splits were:

4.0k @ 3:56
    2.5K @ 3:52
    1.5K @ 3:48

Better than I was expecting and gives me confidence the speed is still there.

Off on holiday on Sunday so need to get the LSR done tomorrow evening.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - rain here too yesterday.
    Birch - nicely ticking over.
    Stevie - great tempo run - have a great birthday too!
    SBD - ditto - tempo run I mean not birthday. Enjoy your holiday. I think I'm on week 4.
    20 miler this morning. A bit nippy compared to the recent temperatures. 10 miles out @ 7:50/m and 10 back @ 7:07/m.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Dt Id day you could be right , the sudden change in the GFA will have left no time plus London was far too hot for any decent runs so the times may stay this year but people will have time to prepare for the next one so there may be  tougher qualifying times in the future.
    0054 maybe still time for a sub 37 this year.
    Gul looking for for that GFA at the minute, great 20 miler too.
    Stevie I predict a big pb soon given the brutal training sessions you are posting ! You must have the coach from hell lol
    SBD enjoy the holiday and the long run.

3 at 10:30 pace yesterday which was a bit grim hobbling along,I seem to have reached the breaking point of my knee (again) ,binning the sessions and just running more easy miles might be the way forward later this year but I don't really want to do that unless I have too ...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Take care Leslie you may  have to ease up for a while.
    Good speed there sbd positive signs....
    18:29 at Keswick parkrun a new course pb.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Crikey, Gul. That's a decent uplift in speed on that 20. I can't seem to do that in long run training.

Did 21 miles this morning which averaged 7.58 pace. Cumulative training fatigue hit in the final 5 miles so any ideas of a speed uplift went out the window and I just had to grind it out. Splits fairly even overall.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Well done on grinding out the 21 miles G-D.

Nice course PB at Keswick OO - you're riding a wave of good form at the moment.

Hope the knee is nothing serious Leslie.

Excellent splits on the 20 Gul - classic P&D!

20 for me as well this evening.  Out at 5pm and conditions were perfect - cool, moderate wind and raining - it could have been February! Legs felt 10kg lighter, so ending up running a little faster than planned - average of 7:27 with the last 8 at 7:15.

Hopefully will get to Cornwall tomorrow in time for a 6m recovery along the coastal path to bring up 73 miles for the week and the start of a cut-back week which may include some surfing if I can remember what to do!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    SBD - That's a cracking pace for a 20 miler. Enjoy your holiday.

OO - I hope you can continue to ride the wave, looked like a tough course too. 

G-Dawg - Very solid 21. Nice miles in the bank. 

Leslie - Not good news. Sorry to hear. Do you know what the root cause is? 

Gul - Cracking pick up in pace. The weather has definitely turned, better for endurance running. Seems like a normal summer now around low 20 and cooler in the evenings too. 

Birch - Nice to see you getting some runs in. A chap won our local parkrun today in 16:10 and his name was Simon Birch! Looking at his parkrun stats it seems he appears to hail from Leicester. Any relation to you? 

Stevie - You've got a few weeks to sharpen your blades for your 10k in September, could be on for a very good time judging by the way you are going at the mo. Have you raced that one before? 

DT - I've heard good things about Yorkshire. Watched it on tv a few times and it's supposed to be fairly fast. 

Parkrun for me today. Did a 1.5 mile warm up and was sweaty like a racehorse running 7:40's, so was a proper warm up. Set off with the intention of not aiming for a pb but to run a controlled pace that I could sustain which is never easy on that course. 19:13 was the end result and the splits were fairly even except for the 4th k where I lost about 10 seconds or so. The trail section is always difficult when coming off tarmac for the previous 3k or so, but I managed to rally in the last k which was a good sign posT holiday. The speed was there but the speed endurance wasn't which will hopefully come back in the next few weeks. Down for 20 tomorrow, the forecast is for rain, can't say I'm happy about that but it will be my first proper LSR for 6 weeks, so it's all about just getting it done. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good running all.

I'm envious of your current conditions as I'm  still living in 30 plus heat. 

Not run last 2 days but hoping to next two. my holiday target was 6/11 days running. I'm on 4/8 now so should be ok. Feel raring to go now on my return. 

Gerard, yes Yorkshire comes highly recommended by a good running friend. we have almost identical pbs in all distances bar marathon where he went 4 minutes faster than me at York last October. 

Leslie, sorry to hear about  the knee. get some physio perhaps? 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - sorry to hear that. Hope the knee will improve with a bit of rest or easy mile only.
    OO - great parkrunning to claim a course PB.
    GD - well done grinding out that 21 - you do a lot of faster stuff during the week which is bound to have an effect on your long run pace.
    SBD - good pace for your 20 miler - enjoy the surfing but take care! My long run was more like HMP+10% and +20%.
    GM - very tidy parkrun.
    DT19 - you'll benefit from the rest/recovery on holiday while you're ticking over.
    6 mile recovery run this morning. 74 miles for the week.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Great weekly total, Gul.
    Nice parkrun, GM. Hope the LSR delivered what you wanted.

4 mile recovery here to bring 45 up for the week. Midway through the campaign, two 20 milers done, just plugging away.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Cracking long runs Gul & SBD
    Congrats on the course PB OO.
    Gerard - Great parkrun fresh from holiday! Yes I've done it before when I used to just run the occasional 10k, did 48.50 that day so will hope to be a good chunk faster than that!
    Leslie - I hope the knee eases up, take it easy you don't want to turn it into a full injury. Haha I do think he's got it in for me sometimes! The big sessions seem to be paying massive dividends though so got to be worth it!

16 miles yesterday, had to get s a shift on for the last 4 as needed to get back home. Went 7.37, 7.24, 7.20, 7.03. Bit tougher than I wanted the day after a tempo but I got it done! 55 for the week
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul, GDawg, SBD - fine long running 

good parkrunning, OO, Gerard . . .  

nice week, Stevie 

finished my week on 42 miles after 10 yesterday morning - accomplished in bright sunshine, but cool air - lovely.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I was left incensed yesterday by the below on my local Facebook page. if anything, for me and also the fast running site wrote an article on this, park run has gone very much the opposite way. Imagine a fast runner making this comment!!! the post was someone simply asking at a 500 runner park run that people try to position themselves as per their ability mainly for h and s reasons. I couldn't believe the hammering she got. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good running stevie. Be careful not to get injured. 

I did my 6 mile loop tonight 90 seconds faster than my previous best from a few days ago. Still only 7mm pace with average hr at 160. Not bad given it was 33c and very little breeze. Hoping to get one more run in before heading home. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Never seen any nasty fast people at Parkrun, but have seen a few people with earphones/headphones who appear to think they are the only people in the park. Yesterday at the start there was a call for a show of hands by anyone who had done more than 20 PRs this year.  They were then asked to lower their hand if they hadn't volunteered this year.  Quite a few did so. Good way to make a gentle point about volunteering and sustainability.  20.55 for me, even on a slowish course that's toast. 

Good effort Gul. You should be looking at sub 3 shouldn't you?

Leslie look after that knee - don't come back too soon.

OO pretty quick for a pensioner

Nice miles Birch, Stevie, GM, SBD et al

I didn't warm to the Yorks mara; good work by the organisers to build up such a race in a place where there was none. but not as fast/good a course as sometimes claimed. An excuse to go to York however, which is always good.  Manchester is faster, FWIW.

Lovely camera shots of Berlin this morning at the European championship mara. It's a great city, but humiliation looms.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Agree about volunteering doesn't seem fair to run week after week and never give anything back
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - keep plugging away.
    Stevie - good fast finish to follow your tempo session - I'm finding that being under time pressure is happening quite regularly now.
    Birch - 42 is a good number :)
    DT19 - that's good going in 33C. Fortunately, I've always found people at parkrun to be considerate. Now feeling that it's about time I volunteered again.
    Poacher - not particularly fast, but steady as she goes might be a reasonable plan for the time being. Sub 3? Ha ha. I'm not falling for that one again ;) I must try and stick to a more modest target and not get greedy.
    10 miles this morning with a 4 mile LT effort which turned out at an avg pace of 6:26/m.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - " I must try and stick to a more modest target and not get greedy"     

but . . .    I'm with Poacher - your mileage and the paces you hit suggest you can do it - not a case of being "greedy", but more a doable target based on the training - and the old axiom "what if you're never as fit as this again"   . . . .
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Leslie – Sorry to read about your knee problems. I hope things getting sorted soon. Do you do squats, deadlifts and hill sprints regularly?

OO – Excellent Parkrun course PB!

SBD – Great mileage and nippy long run. You’re in great shape.

GM – Good Parkrun and I hope your 20 miler went well

GD – Solid mileage, keep on plugging!

Stevie – Good mileage and a strong finish in your 16 miler

Birch – Glad you enjoyed  a cool 10 miler

DT19 – Great 6 miler in the heat. The mid week marathon was arranged by these guys - http://eastantrimmarathonseries.co.uk They are to help people work towards 100+ marathons

Poacher – I really liked seeing Berlin in the Europeans championships too. I’m excited!

Gul – I agree with Birch and Poacher. Be greedy and go for it! The worst thing that can happen is you slow down. All your times are pointing towards a good sub 3

My planned 17 miles on Saturday and rest day yesterday was changed a bit. I was staying away in Newcastle, County Down and did the Castlewellan Parkrun. I did this in 18:44 and by the time I ran back to the holiday house I had covered 18.5 miles. This was too close to 20 to stop, so I did the extra bit. I got drunk on Saturday but felt guilty on Sunday morning with a lovely hangover. I decided to run 5k at about 9 m/m pace to get the blood flowing and make me feel better.

So my total for the week ended at 107 miles and 216 for the fortnight. I ran another 11 this morning and have 6 more to do after work to get back to my car. Then a 24 mile total commute tomorrow. I’ve a 10k race on Sunday which I’m looking forward to seeing how I perform. I’ll have run over 320 miles in 3 weeks before I start. :smiley:

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Good luck with the 10K Badbark I'm sure you'll do just fine. You are going good and lets hope you stay injury free.

It was rainy in Keswick on Sunday so I had a miserable 14 miler at a snails pace to scrape 50 for the week and pass 1500 for the year. I also noticed on Run Britain I seem to have peaked with a handicap of 1.8, my highest ever and ranked 21st in the UK as a V55- mainly due to quick times at the shorter distances. Bizarrely it rates my previous 18:20 parkrun as my best run, due to the difficulty of the course which I'm not sure I agree with.

This week it's a fast 5k on Wednesday, my last race for a while.

I agree Poacher, Berlin looked fab and I have really enjoyed the Champs and all the new talent coming through. Lets hope I can get in on the Mara ballot next year ;)        

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Dt seems like a bit of a rant alright ,only sensible those that want to go fast start at the front or there will be a stampede, if you want a nice relaxing morning run start at the back. As for my knee if had loads of physio before and a knee op 2 years ago or so which allow me to run again as I was definitely finished without it.It was a problem before I started running 7 years ago and has been an almost constant issue apart from last year where I made great progress for a few months.
    Poacher 20.:55 doesn't sound too bad to me ,esp for an old git with a bad leg!
    Gul If you got some half races in it would let you know if its on or not ,on paper you are getting close for sure.As Birch so rightly says time is running out for most of us, best to try and fail than just wait till age /injury calls time ..
    Badbark I can just about do a squat at the best of times with no weights as it put pressure on my kneecap but you right I need to try something.I have tried hill sprints before I know you rate them and they are easy too add so will try again thanks. 24 mile commutes , 320m in 3 weeks amazing stuff indeed.
    0054 nearly top 20 in the uk ,brilliant !

3 days rest , 2 mile walk today things are settling down will swap tomorrow session for a couple easy If I do anything.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Yep Berlin is a terrific city; apart from a fast flat mara route it's dripping with history, is pretty green and easy to get around, and if you like museums (or walls) it's the biz. I was working there a a reporter on the day of German reunification so the idea of running through the Brandenburg gate which was once the barrier between east and west is really meaningful. Good run by the Belgian lad - yes it's good to see new talent winning races.

BB 216 for the fortnight? Astonishing, how do you find the time?

Gul - Birch is right about maybe never being in this position again. Time to cash in maybe? On the day I finally broke went sub3, I remember being hit by that exact thought at 20m; form and fitness are fleeting and unpredictable so it was now or never.

OO the Berlin ballot is definitely oversubscribed but I don't think it's as bad odds as London.  It's also fairly cheap to get to with plenty of flights from the UK.

Massive double for me today: 3m in the morning, 3m in the evening. Cooking on gas. Injury currently at bay, fingers crossed.