Sunday 12th August 2018 - I'm gonna love you like nobody's loved you

Morning.

Lyrics - I'm gonna love you like nobody's loved you

Maybe just a walk today emzap if the weather picks up? I'd run every other day at most until you're feeling much better.

I was woken by rain lashing against the window around 0200hrs and it's continued with heavy showers since then. Grace needed to go out soon after 0400hrs - not ideal race prep or conditions - I have a nasty sinus headache to go with yesterday's sore throat (but RHR is ok so I'm obviously just making excuses LOL)  though Mark has declared himself ill with a similar headache and said that he's not going to run. Could be a fun packed day. On the plus side according to the Met the rain is going to stop before the race starts so the challenge will be to stay dry on the mile walk from the car park.

What:               Newark Half Marathon
Why:                Alehouse made me do it:-)
Last hard:        getting excited about the race - I would far rather it was a marathon
Last rest:         12/6

Yesterday's lyrics - Deliver Us From The Elements by XTC.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Go well, LMH. Perfect racing conditions! You have done the hard work so go and reap the rewards. Looking forward to the report!

What: fitness suite

Why: not going to be tempted to test the knee after yesterday's run. The instinct is to run of course but I suspect that I am far better continuing to stretch and strengthen.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Good luck LMH! You always seem to do well when you feel shit before a race ;) so it's gonna be a good one I hope.

20 miles d&d 
    Pace surprisingly good but legs trashed

Enjoy your Sunday all
  • Morning

Good Luck LMH as Chick has said when you feel poorly before a race you do rather well I am looking forward to race report.

Chick: Well done on 20 miles already done...THUD:-)

Ale:I would still be running every other day you do not want set yourself back!

Benjy: Fab news on new Garmin-Yay Although I down load to garmin Connect I keep a detailed paper log and I will always look at the notebook rather than online always best having a hard copy-just a thought. How are you feeling today? It did not sound good at mile 9 yesterday:-(

I can feel a little improvement lets hope I can be back by end of week .....

Em: I am making a scarf and it is coming along nicely;-) I hope you are feeling a little better today?

Lyrics I do believe I do:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

Did not sleep well.  OH just left for the US for a week and he was nervous so I was nervous!  However, definitely feel a lot better today though still tired.  Have looked at my training plan, and had a 32km scheduled for this week and a 15km for next week.  So, going to swap the weeks and run walk the 15km this week (don't worry, if I feel at all bad I will cut it short/walk home).  Then plan to rest the rest of the day.

LMH good luck today.  Hope it's all halfmaranoia and you have a great, if wet, race.  Am already running only 3-4 times a week so don't worry, I won't push it.

Wow Chick 20 miles already!

Ale well done for sensible head. How is the knee feeling this morning?  Is your back completely recovered too?

WP I've been knitting a scarf for a friend for over 10 years.  He moved to India about 7 years ago and the motivation has gone since then!

OH hope your travels went well.

Have decided the tiredness is due to the stresses of the last few months catching up with me (new job, wedding, Dad), the heat and a virus.  There is definitely something going round as others have mentioned similar symptoms to mine.

Have a lovely Sunday all.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great run by LMH! Looking forward to hearing the race story!

Knee and back still slightly niggly but getting there, I think.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Nice long run chicksta.

I's definitely not going to have helped emzap.

Hope you're soon back running Poppy.

Something's always niggly Alehouse  :)

Thanks for the good wishes. Mark decided not to go but fortunately P was happy to drive. It had more or less stopped raining by the time we arrived and didn't start again until we were back in the car to come home which was good. Looking at the results from the last two years I thought that even with a PB I would be looking for an age group prize at best. Did a warm up mile with P, lined up to the start and felt a bit lonely, I was expecting lots of whippets in club vests but it was a bit sparse, asked the sandal wearing vegan runner stood nearby what sort of time he was aiming for and was reassured that I was in about the right place when he said 1.25. Couldn't see another woman and didn't for the rest of the race. Led from start to finish with no idea who was where behind me. First two to three miles were into a headwind which I could definitely feel and apart from the odd bloke tucking in behind me for half a mile or so (usually until I pulled away) I was on my own. The course felt quite undulating though Garmin says only 147 feet of elevation. First mile was too fast, miles two and three were ok, mile four was a little slow, mile five very slow (but this did have 48 feet of gain and no descent) thought that the PB was gone but decided that I could be happy as long as I knew I'd run the best I could on the day and knew I needed to keep working if I wanted to hold on to a place, turned out of the wind and onto a single track slightly rough but sheltered country road which we followed for a few miles, at 6.6 miles Garmin said I was averaging 6.26 pace which was two seconds slower than current PB pace but I felt fine and was running well. Miles six, seven and eight all came in faster than current average so I knew that if I could keep working a PB would be close but mile nine was slow - no idea why, it was flat, possibly back in to the wind a little? I had men up ahead to chase and did reel in three or four from mile seven (though one overtook me in a sprint about 3m from the finish line). Mile ten was just slower than I needed it to be but I wanted to stay honest and I did as miles eleven and twelve were faster, mile thirteen was slightly too slow but had 23 feet of gain and the latter part was on grass/mud and was a little twisty turny and slippery. Gave it all I had in the final sprint (course was just about spot on - I measured it at 13.16 - but I just wasn't quick enough and finished in a disappointing 1.24.14 (chip time) for 30th place overall and first lady by a couple of minutes (and second was a senior woman).

Slight comedy as the mayor insisted on putting my medal on and giving me a kiss <<ewww>> when all I wanted to do was keep walking and take my inhaler! Then I was accosted by the photographer and reporter from the local paper, whereupon followed a slightly difficult interview 'who do you run for' being the first question followed by a puzzled 'why did you decide to do the race then' when I said that I didn't  :) Second funny moment was at the prize giving as they didn't have the one runner one prize rule so after I was awarded the 1st prize there was a bit of a wait as they did five year age categories, of course I was called up for the 50-54 after which the HPP runner who had come third came over to me with a look of shock and said words to the effect that she couldn't believe it, when did I take up running and wasn't I doing well. I'm not sure if that means I don't look my age or she couldn't believe such an old woman could be so much faster!

Not sure where the fast women were today but I'm grateful they weren't there as even accounting for Mark and my entries (he always seems to default on races I've paid for!) I made enough for a pair of (50% off in the sale) trainers.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Wow lmh great result! Well done. Nice report too.

Did my 15 km run/walking very easy. Have had a nap and am taking it easy. Mentally the right decision and I don't think I feel any worse so that's good.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Wonderful run LMH, very well done.  So impressed with your time and your racing psyche.

22 miles for me today, a good run, just bang on 3 hours.  Feel like I am getting ultra ready.  Planning on doing another longish one tomorrow.  Anyone with any thoughts on what distance I should aim for?

Lyrics, nope.
  • Thanks both.

Glad you don't feel any the worse emzap.

How long is your ultra Donaldo?
  • Well done LMH
    Nice long run Don

8.8 miles on Two Lairigs (Glencoe) for us with 1750’ ascent.
    When in Lochaber ...
    That was hard (and slow)
    Last rest: yesterday (travelling)
    Lyrics don't think so
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Nice ascent OH.

LMH, 33 miles.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening!

Good training, Don! Only you know how the legs will be tomorrow! And well done on the 20, Chick!

Sounds much better, Emz! As someone else said, may be worth checking iron levels, and may be potassium and magnesium (I hope they are the correct other important two: you will probably know better than most!).

LMH: not sure that today was a disappointing time. Only a few seconds off your pb which can be accounted for by conditions, the course, the competition etc. You are definitely in pb shape and in a day or two with everything in your favour you would set new figures! A far better run than you give yourself credit!

And well done Laura, Laura and Eilish!

Hope Dublin is good, SC!

And hope things are improving, RFJ!
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Loved your report LMH. Very entertaining, especially the sandal wearing vegan runner :D
    Sorry you didn't get a PB but you weren't that far off. And you're very consistent.
    The two women who beat me in my 10k were 22 and 30 years my junior.

Sensible to adapt your schedule, em.

Sounds tough, OH.

Great 22 Don.

Fingers crossed you're back on the road soon, poppy.