Monday 13th August 2018 - What you sippin' on that got you talking crazy?

Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Training
Morning.

Lyrics - What you sippin' on that got you talking crazy?

I'd go for an easy 12 Donaldo but be prepared to run/walk if you need to. My thinking is that it's good to cover the distance which is actually probably harder with the gap and time for your legs to stiffen etc. If you cope with that then next time increase the distance of the second run.

It's good to keep these youngsters on their toes chicksta 
:)

I really don't think I have any excuses for yesterday Alehouse but I know I did the best I could on the day so that will do. I think I'm going to have another try in four weeks.

What:             easy run
Whilst:           recovery
Last hard:      disappointing performance
Last rest:       12/6

Yesterday's lyrics - Come Rain Or Come Shine by Eric Clapton.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Sounds about right LMH, thanks for the advice.  Not sure if I am going to make it out at all as my knee is really sore this morning. It was fine last night so I am assuming I slept in a twisted position.  Might walk for a bit this morning and see if it eases.

Lyrics, nope.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Ale - well done on the 5k
    Chick - you too with the 10k & following that with a 20!
    LmH - great racing, well done. 
    OH - sounds a fun event, just a few hills then!
    Don - excellent work with the long run. I find ultra training that back to back longs (pace irrelevant) are fundamental. Think my longest double was a 20 on Saturday a marathon on Sunday. 

What - easy recovery 
    Why - knackered
    last rest - ages ago
    last hard - yesterday. 3 legs of 4k in a 4hour, 4 man, relay event. Slightly undulating course but my 3 legs all ~10s/km off what I was running last year. 
    Averaged 17:30 for 3 legs this year, last year I ran 4 legs all sub 17. 
    Not overly disappointed, but since London training has drifted (spent more time coaching than actually me, me, me training). I'll buck my ideas up for the XC season!
    Team finished 9th mixed team (out of 170 or so) 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Sounds fun, Dustin, and glad you are not too disappointed!

Doesn't sound fun, OH: nice achievement though!

Hope everything is ok once you get moving, Don!

Still don't really get the disappointment LMH! Just one second a mile quicker and you would have been pleased! Sometimes it is simply what it is on the day! Take the positives: a win, and not just an age group win and  very, very close to PB territory. Bring on the next one!

What: a run of some description, possibly with walk breaks

Why: trying to get back to things gently. Not going to rush things.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hope your knee eases with a walk Donaldo. I do find it helpful to walk Grace before my runs, loosens everything off and gives me a good opportunity to see if there is anything that will be an issue if I run. Don' go out if you're not 100% - not worth it.

Dustin - sounds as though you enjoyed the relay and I'm glad you're not disappointed with where you're at. I agree about the back to back long runs but think that Donaldo is just stating to build to that.

Well I guess if you don't aim high you're unlikely to get there Alehouse! If I was happy with my performance there wouldn't be as much motivation to go again and try to push harder. I was heartened to read that the winner said that he was expecting to go faster and thought that he didn't because of the headwind in the first few miles. Hope your run goes well. 
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Dustin, nice work on the relays, impressive speed improvement.

All okay this morning, did 14.4 miles very comfortably.  After an average pace of 8:09 for my 22 yesterday I was pleased how strong and steady I felt today, with an 8:03 average pace.  Feeling ready to at least give this ultra a shot!

One negative was that a wasp stung me after 12 miles and it is very sore and a little swollen.  Wee bugger! 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    LMH, well done you! You are so good at driving yourself I have to say!! Though the guy who won  seems to explain it!
    Don ouch ouch hope you are ok
    Dustin, sounds good, did you enjoy it?
    alehouse enjoy and take it easy, well I know you will

I had a much better 5 on Saturday I was so happy! the 3 series went like this , 53.15, 55.08 and this week I did 50.43!!! It isn't fast and I have gone faster previous years.  But as soon as I set off I felt the difference.  I felt really happy in my running, I was battling to catch people, overtaking some.  Just think training in the heat, losing a few pounds and doing a bit of fartleks on my runs, it all came together over the last week. Not going to get carried away as I have the second 5k on the rides on weds.  I just like this feeling and haven't truly felt it for the longest time!
    What: 3 miles later
    why: didn't fancy it this morning
    last hard: sat, and Sunday 1 mile streak saver with lyla in the buggy (slow down nanna she really said it ha ha)
    last rest: 31/12/16

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Dustin, just realised I read your post wrongly!  I'm sure your XC training will return your speed.  I'm really looking forward to the XC season.  Was just talking to clubmates last week about how boring the summer is without it.

Wabo, nicely done, great racing.
  • That's lovely to hear Wabo.

Glad you had a good run Donaldo. How long until your ultra?
  • LMH: You may be disappointed at the final time, but I think it is cracking, the fastest I’ve had for a half is 1:42. Superb! Love your report and the Laurel and Hardy after ceremony, makes doing well awkward.

Don: Hats off to you there, cracking miles in really good time, you are a bit if a secret weapon up there in Scotland.

OH: Doing it again for Scotland, great descent, sounds like real good fun that one. And to think I had hills…

Welsh: Do get better soon. We need your daily inspiration

Emz: Sounds like you need a good rest.

SC: In Dublin? I think I must have missed that. I’m over in west coast of Ireland for a couple of weeks soon.

Chicksta: You are chewing up the miles, putting me to shame, I should be upping my miles more at the moment for York.

Ale: Great to hear you feel improvement is happening

Wabo: Now that is dedication, a buggy run, brilliant!

Dustin: If though you didn’t get the time you normally expect, sounds like a good event

Getting a bit of continuing abdominal pain, did have check up recently, ultrasound, I was neither pregnant or had a damaged hernia mesh. Everything was ok according to tests. My friend is a nurse and she said Saturday night it could be nerve damage that will take time to sort out, I personally feel it is the mesh pulling on the flesh it is fused to. Grim. Going to have to take this evenings run steady, nothing too ambitious.

What: A sightseeing tour run

Why: To take it steady, and to get out and move after ‘werkin

Lyrics: I believe I do

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Well done, wabo :+1:  It's so nice when your running feels like this. 

Nice double, Don and brilliant pace. Bloody wasps :(  My sting is now a week old and still itches like hell.

Event sounds great and a top 10 team place is fab, Dustin.

Benjy: that sounds painful. Better have it checked again. Don't know anything about hernias but maybe you've done something to damage it, like a wrong movement or so. Fingers crossed!

I'm grateful for a recovery week. My legs are a bit trashed. Today is a scheduled non running day (I never run the day after a long one and it does wonders for my recovery). Then I'm going to keep the mileage in check a bit for a half marathon on Sunday. Just hope it's not going to be hot as it's a fairly late start. If it is, I will use it to test marathon pace. 

What: quick kettlebell blast in the gym
    Why: easy week
    Last hard: Friday
    Last rest 21/6
    Lyrics: no
  • I'd second chicksta Benjy - if you can't access the consultant directly then book an appointment with your GP, if it is nerve related there isn't likely to be anything they can do but if it's not they may be able to sort it out.

It's much cooler here chicksta - is your weather not forecast to break?
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    There was a wee break on Saturday but today it's 28 again and it looks to stay like that for the next few days. The race is closer to the sea where it's generally a bit cooler (and of course windier), so I hope I'm alright. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Afternoon!

Cold here! Putting the heating on crossed my mind! I would take your 28 any day, Chick!

Well done on Saturday, Wabo!

Nice back to back long runs, Don!

What: 3k, mainly off road and with walk breaks in addition. Ran in long sleeves between very heavy showers. Trainers muddy, the first time for a long time!

Why: being sensible

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Two Lairigs yesterday was just a trail run from Scottish Trails book (not event). Didn't see any other runners. In fact, a guy, possibly Dutch, asked who we were running from. "Should we be scared? Was there a bear?" 
    Grey Corries were very grey today with less than 10 m visibility. No wind and midges still active at over 1000m. Got down to develop an absolute flat on car at Commandos' Memorial (Spean Bridge).
    Now on emergency 50mph thin spare while puncture gets fixed. Got tyre to National tyres at 1745.  So not going far tomorrow.
    Last hard - certainly not the tyre!
    Lyrics no

Most folk would be well pleased with your position LMH. It was a good result. PB can't occur every race.

Impressive after long race yesterday Don

How long is it since your mesh repair Benjy? If it's more than 6 months you're unlikely to be doing any harm, even if painful. I got some quite serious pain at my repair site about 9 months post op. It settled spontaneously. I had also run an 33 mile ultra 3 months post op. Oh and repair is still intact afaiaa and painfree at 12m postop
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening

Well done wavo that's a great improvement and great feeling for you. Not surprised you're running slower this year with everything you've got going on.

Don that is a good amount of training!

Ow Benjy.

Right. I've made a decision. No running for 5 days. If I'm still not feeling right I'll go to the doctor. Ale and chick yes should get those things checked but I have a needle phobia so bad I've never had a blood test and will not have anaesthesia at the dentist of I can get away with it...

What: a walk to get milk
    Why: see above
    Last hard: tired for so long (though feel better today than yesterday so definitely improving, no nap today :) )
    Lyrics: nope

Think the long runs and races have possibly taken their toll so being properly sensible.

Have a lovely evening all.