Snowdonia Marathon 2018

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I think he ate them out of house at breakfast time.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    He said coming down onto the Miners' Track was difficult carrying his bike.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Well, off to the campsite in the Brecon Beacons later, in order to be ready for the 0500 start of the 10 Peaks BB long course in the morning.

Don't know how I'm going to do.  My training has been woeful.

Anyway, if you want a laugh, you can follow my live tracker via 10Peaks.com website.  I'm #114.  You will now be able to see as I make them my navigational pieces of genius, or blunders, as the case may be.
  • Good luck Rex. Have fun! Look forward to the race report.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Hope it goes well TRex
  • In case anyone here is interested in watching, this is a programme one of my colleagues filmed and Cwmni Da have just posted this on facebook: 
    We'll be following Huw Jack Brassington's journey as he attempts to run 315km down the mountainous spine of Wales in the Dragon's Back Race, the hardest five day mountain race in the world!
    Tomorrow at 21.00 on S4C.
    It'll be in Welsh but English subtitles will be available.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I'll write something soon.  Exhausted at the moment and still feeling very hot and glowy.

Finished though, when many didn't!
  • fish-out-of-waterfish-out-of-water ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    And if anyone missed it but would like to catch up, it's available on the S4C website for 35 days - http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=799111919

• fish-out-of-waterfish-out-of-water ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    PS subtitles available on the website too!
  • Will check that out FOW.

Well done TR. Bet it was brutal in this weather.

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    That program was brilliant FOOW!  The race has been on mr panad’s bucket list for a couple of years....one day ;)

well done TRex!

not much going on here, plodding along...

mr panad’s off up the mountain again (snowdon race) next weekend, hoping for some slightly cooler weather than they had for the twilight race a few weeks ago!

• Hi Guys.  Might be coming up again this year to Snod.  Anyone know of any places going?
  • Thanks for the heads up on that programme FOW. Great watch. It's brutal and the state of his feet at the end - grim! Don't think my head for heights would survive the "run" over Crib Goch on day one! 

• Hello Team Snodders, apologies for absence! Great to see familiar names on here again as we enter Snowdon marathon training window lol! Looks like we have all been busy, hope those with injuries get sorted soon. I have just been Forrest Gumping as usual, been all over the place. FOOW mentioned the Bardsey Island event, that was truly an epic day as was the Pen Llyn ultra again this year.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hi brer.  Couldn't race PLU this year, now it has been moved to June. Work gets in the way at that time of year.  Which distance did you do? 

I know folks are waiting for a 10Peaks report, which will come in due course.  Next up is the Beacons 50 in a couple of weeks over some of the same terrain but also going into the Black Mountains.

Starting to think a bit more about the challenge coming up at the end of October, but not backtracking, don't worry!
  • Trex, did the 50 this year for a change. Another stunning route! :)
  • TrailRunner22TrailRunner22 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Watched the Dragons back documentary a few days ago... Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it!

A mate of mine has a place he's looking to get rid of is anyone is still after one... Brickhill Runner? I've seen plenty around on Facebook also.

I've finally managed to start getting some miles in. My foot still isn't 100% so i'm hoping the next few weeks isn't going to aggravate it. It's probably 50/50 as to if I end up jogging round the marathon or run it well. I think i'll know either way within the next few weeks.

Hope everyone else is managing to get some training in.. 
  • UluruUluru ✭✭✭
    TrailRunner22 I have a friend who is looking for a place if it is still going?

• I'm afraid he got rid of it last night Uluru. Don't know if you're on Facebook but there's a group on there called "race event numbers for sale / swap / free / wanted." It's pretty good for picking up race numbers. They are very strict though and only allow posts for races where transfers are permitted. I'd imagine if you kept an eye out on there though you'd get a place.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    My 10Peaks event in the Brecon Beacons went well despite non-existent training.

It was a very hot and sunny day but at least it enabled me to got round the whole course with dry feet which is unheard of in this area!

I finished in last but one place.  The problem with my limited ability in these sorts of events is that even though I am about in the top two-thirds of the field in the early stages, by the end all or nearly all of the people behind me drop out or are timed out and I end up at the back!

Very enjoyable though and the 24-hour time limit if fairly generous for the long course (55 miles) as long as you don't make too many navigational errors (course not marked).  If any of you were following my tracker you will see I deviated from the route in many places but all these were deliberate, looking for 'faster lines' which some of them were and some distinctly not!

Managed a course best of over an hour for this event of 21h52.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Next up is the Beacons 50 this Saturday, which is actually 53 miles over similar terrain but with a time limit of 15 hours.  Feeling a little apprehensive about this!

There are a number of road sections though, unlike the previous event, and since it also goes into the Black Mountains there are also several miles of canal towpath to connect the two ranges of hills, so there is hope of making the cut-offs.
  • Congratulations on the course PB Rex. All the best for Saturday. Look forward to hearing the tale.
  • Watched the Dragons back documentary a few days ago... Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it!

A mate of mine has a place he's looking to get rid of is anyone is still after one... Brickhill Runner? I've seen plenty around on Facebook also.

I've finally managed to start getting some miles in. My foot still isn't 100% so i'm hoping the next few weeks isn't going to aggravate it. It's probably 50/50 as to if I end up jogging round the marathon or run it well. I think i'll know either way within the next few weeks.

Hope everyone else is managing to get some training in.. 
    Thanks TR22 for offer of a place.  Think I have one if he can work out how to transfer.
  • Got my place at last, now on the official entry list.  Hoping not to repeat my spectacular fall in front of T-Rex on final decent as did last year!
  • Nice one Brickhill.... It's been a bit quiet on here recently. You all must be out running. It's creeping closer! 
  • Anybody hear of a place going please let me know ASAP. I'd like to have a jog around Snowdon again.
  • Fenland Runner - I got one place from Mike Hogan and he had another going. I found him on Facebook on Snowdonia Marathon Eryri page.  There are a few coming up on the Facebook page if you're quick.  Hope you get one.
  • Thanks to some wonderful people, I have got a place. See you there. Snowdonia #7 for me :)