The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• Well done Stephen E Forde,

David Charman, I saw Kat running today at Gravesend - I asked her about her ankle and she said that the doctors had said she may have a fracture but she didn't think so - she ran an Ultra yesterday and another one tody as part of 10 in 10 days.

I had managed to finish the marathon before cut off and decided to carry on too to complete an ultra - Kat beat me 

• Hey team,

Congrats Stephen E Forde - another one with 1000 in the bag.

DavidC - I'm running the Great Scottish Run Half Marathon at the end of September, I had been thinking about beating my PB from earlier in the year - but its six weeks away and I've been a very lazy boy, so that's ambitious. You'll likely have finished today's Marathon Challenge, I look forward to hearing about it.

Hobie - belated Congrats for breaking through the 900 - you'll be through the 1000 in no time.

Donnie2 - you'll be through the 700 by the time of reading this - well done!

Harmander - nice work on the Ultra ... I like that sentence "I had managed to finish the marathon before cut off and decided to carry on too to complete an ultra" - very blasé ;)

Excellent work Dubai, ticking over nicely despite the many travels

AndrewD - another one with nice consistent work sir.

Lilly - I hope work has stopped smashing you enough that you've been able to get out and enjoy some runs :)

Struggling here with getting back into my rhythm; my days are all over the place; Thursday, Tuesday, Friday, Sunday, Tuesday ... No rhyme nor reason at the moment. But, I keep reminding myself that I'm coming up fast on last years total of 921.5 miles (in terms of total mileage 2017 was my biggest ever year by far) - I'm looking forward to breaking that one :)

17 Aug - 7.7m
    19 Aug - 4.95m
    21 Aug - 11.6m

YTD: 905.74 Miles

PS I hate trying to get back up to fitness - it's horrible! (Just have to make sure in future that I don't stop!)
  • Good catch up Steven Morrison 2.
  • Together with the Ultra on Sunday and 10.48 miles today my
    YTD = 1652.02 miles
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Thanks Steven! 4 more on Friday, 3 on Sunday and 4 on Monday have brought me to 526 YTD.

Rest day today, but hope to get back out and on it tomorrow night.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hi, long-time lurker here. Have never joined in because my mileage is an 'incidental' rather than a focus; it's what happens as a result of trying to keep a variety of running disciplines on the go, and never being too far from marathon-preparedness. Today, my 20' run took me on to 1009' for the year, so far. End of July last year took me to 884, with a year total of 1433. End of July this year saw me at 899'; so very similar. (Six marathons last year, and three so far this year. Next one in 2 weeks, then Chester in Oct.)
    Respect for all the good running going on, and serious distances in all weather and  climates. Happy running.
  • Welcome on your conversion from Lurker to exposing (lol) yourself as 1000 miler already MrM2.
    Am going to try and list those who can set new goals after the 1000 miles. (May have to do it in bits as cannot figure out how to leave a comment AND scroll back to check without losing the draft comment)

Dubai Runner
    MrM2
    Steven E Forde

Maybe if those who I have missed out can add their names it will help me.

• Afternoon all,

Steven, Well done on passing the 900 mile mark - nearly there, and best of luck with the upcoming Great Scottish Run HM, I am sure you will have a great run.

Harmander, I am with Dubai, I think you should keep both totals. I saw Kat who run another Ultra and seemed fine, she said "fracture what fracture"!
    Regarding the new goals, although still not at 1000 yet, I would like to finish on 1362.4 (equivalent to 26.2 miles per week) currently I am behind but had a slow start along with the recent groin problems, but hopefully back on track now and will be able to log some good miles.

And so to yesterday's Cyclopark Challenge.
    Firstly, this is a TiT's event or (Ten in Ten) as it is known and boy do the 35 runners who are doing all 10 have my admiration.
    I arrived expecting to run around the Cyclopark 8 times as the title suggests, but no the circuit starts in the car park and goes down a small hill, past a now derelict pub and up a very long hill until you cross a motorway and train bridge before heading back via a country path.
    I am not going to lie, It was humid and pretty hot and I found this one by far the hardest circuit I have done to date, the hill at the start of each lap just seemed to zap the energy from me, and I don't think I was the only one looking at the final times. I did manage to run the first half in around 2 hours, but ended up walking the hills on the rest of the laps, lap 6 I felt so drained I had a 10 minute sit! I did get running again on lap 7 and by the end felt as if I could go on - poor fueling most probably. 
    Final time, and this pains me 5.09 (slowest to date) however others did find it hard with the heat and the fastest Marathon time was 3.56 by a chap who usually runs 3.15 with ease.
    As always though the event was very well put on with a well stocked aid station along with a new idea where you have your own plastic cup which is reused for the whole race to cut down on rubbish and I believe on lap 5 they handed out ice lollies, boy they where good!
    Anyway lets forget about this one and bring on the next Thursday's Marathon along a canal towpath or at least that's what is advertised!

21.08.18 - 26.2
    22.08.18 - 3.75

YTD = 758.95

• David Charman,

I did warn you about Traviss saying it is a bit challenging - yes that's the route what I did the Ultra on Sunday.
    My next couple of races are:

Purple Rayne marathon on 2 September
    Great North Run on 9 September
    Richmond Runfest Marathon on 16 September
    Ealing Half on 30 September
    Hillingdon Challenge on 2 October
    Would love to do Bedford racing circuit on 7 October if I can get a lift
    Waiting to hear if I am pacing at Royal Parks half on 14 October
    Toronto Waterfront marathon on 21 October then
    back to Thames Meander on first Saturday in November

See you at Hillingdon.
  • Harmander,

Yes, will be at Hillingdon, just watched a couple of videos on YouTube for the Thames Meander, looks like a lovely run. 
  • David Charman,
    Yes it is - Dave Ross the Race Director (Phoenix Running) has three Thames Meanders a year - March, August and November - I only do August and November as don't want to risk an injury just before VLM in April.  
    They cleared up the path quite a bit since last November when it was full of divets and other rough terrain.
    There are no mile markers - Dave's excuse is that the course is shared with the half marathon it could be confusing - one really needs to know how to pace oneself there or use those electronic gadget thingamies - I am a Luddite and useless at pacing so just bumble along hoping not to get lost on a single out and back track.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    YTD: 717.3

Dave C: Excellent race report, seems a while since the thread had one. 

Still hoping for 1:45 at Vale of York HM in early Sept and sub 4 hrs for the York marathon 8th Oct.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Hello. 13.2miles today takes me to 1,491 for the year so dictates my next run has to be 9+miles. 1,500miles would take me to Greece, assuming I hadn't drowned on the way.
  • Great JT141

1000 milers to date are in (alphabetical order):

Dubai Runner
    Harmander Singh
    JT141
    MrM2
    Steven E Forde
  • Great race report David, great work.
    Well done to 1000 milers to date.
    Club run last night, meaning to take it easy but Ach, you know how it is when it feels good. So prep for trail marathon was a fast 7.5 mile flat road run.

954 miles YTD... Hoping to get to 1000 early next month. 
  • First run today, lots of miles walked and lots of swimming but also great Turkish food and beer. Loving Istanbul!!

3.5 miles

YTD 1101.56 miles 
  • Harmander - I’m aiming for 2018 miles, so just 7.05 miles needed every day for the rest of the year!! 
    At least the temperatures should cool down soon and I’ve got marathon training starting next week.
  • Dubai Runner, the marathon training should help ramp up the weekly miles with the longer runs.
    As you know I also aim to complete 2018 miles this year.  Will calculate my daily rate required after tonight's session.
  • 4.2 miles along the banks of the Bosphorus

YTD 1105.76 miles
  • 10.63 uphills on Thursday evening was tiring. another 10.19 miles including pacing at Parkrun today was not any easier.
    YTD = 1672.84 miles
    My target is 2018 miles - so with 345.16 miles to go in 128 days to do it in, I need to pull my finger out to cover 2.7 miles a day, every day.
  • Howdy folks,

Nice report David Charman ... sounds like a tough one, I usually console myself that I'm sure to get a lot of benefit physically and mentally from running those.

Hey MrM2, nice to see a new name even this late in the year - excellent mileage.

Harmander that is some schedule - and I hope that you are all over that niggle from earlier in the year.

Donnie2, I hope the training is coming along exactly on track ... I'm cheering for you to hit those goals!!!

Hobie, you're homing in on it now 1000 here you come!

Dubai I'm delighted to hear you are enjoying Istanbul, running along the Bosphorus sounds pretty awesome.

I seem to be settling back into my running - I wouldn't say "I'm back" but it's certainly getting less painful. Nice to post a run over the HM distance ... at least I know I can finish the race now ;)

23 Aug - 11.6m
    25 Aug - 13.2m

YTD: 930.54 Miles
    (That's me beat my previous best total of 921.5 (in 2017) ... I'm in uncharted territory from now on ;) lol)

Anyway good running folks for the rest of the weekend.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    YTD: 732.6

Harmander: What a schedule, looking forward to hearing about it. 2018, so on the cards.

Dubai: Istanbul is a great city, visited but I never take my running shoes on holiday!

Steven M: Always enjoy your posts, in the absence of Nell and a little nod to the forthcoming Strictly Come Dancing 'you're my favourite'.

My mileage has been 2 on the treadmill, a park run in 22.35 and 10 miles in a few seconds under 85 mins (85 was my target) 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone! Great miles as usual.

Did a parkrun today in 21:34

Up to 537 YTD 
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Hi All, my first run back post-op, so a very gentle 3.7M through my local country park, so nice to be back and jogging, I couldn't call it running, but just to be back out there was the thing.

Its left me way behind schedule and about 10lbs heavier (too many holidays and no running are not a good combination for this forum, but fun in the real world!)

BUT, if I can get back into it quickly, have got 3 halves booked in the coming few weeks, and get my monthly average up to 120 then I might just sneak into the 1000 club, or close anyway.

YTD           570M
  • Steven Morrison2, thanks, I think they are almost all gone (or I subconsciously have started to ignore them) - I normally do my LSRs at 90% of race pace - managed 92% today for 13.71 miles and sort of feel fine.
    Donnie2, yes will report back after each one.
    YTD = 1686.55 miles
  • I'm too wasted to write much but Narberth Nobbler turned out to be 27.1 miles in monsoon rain with epic mud and chest deep river crossing .Loved it.
    Took nearly 5 hours but 981 miles YTD 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for welcome. Got out early this morning, before the worst of the wind and rain, for a 10' seafront run. That gave me a marathon prep. high of 46' this week, and brings me to 1035 YTD. Now for a serious, two weeks taper before 'In Flanders Fields' marathon. (Will be in Holland and Belgium for a couple of weeks.) 
    Running by the Bosphorus sounds great, but I don't even like to think about the chest-deep river crossing!
    Happy running all.
  • ahmed11,  What is your total mileage for the year?

Even more importantly, what did the printed message say on your garment?

Hobie1495 - go on, a couple of recovery runs before the end of the month should see you get over the 1000 mile line.

MrM2 - you are welcome, nice succinct report back - keep us posted.

senidM - good to hear you are back on the road, every step is getting you closer to the finish line.

AndrewD - my Parkrun time was 34:21 (but I was pacing for 34:30) - it will reduce to 28 minutes again in 30 second steps before I go back to 35 minutes.

Dubai Runner - am tempted to get to the 2018 mile target by 20 October (a day before the Toronto Waterfront marathon in 54 days) this will mean a daily mileage of 6.5 miles - doable given I average over 8 miles a day last year.

Question to all on the forum - should I go for it?

Having said that, I was absolutely shattered yesterday - not because of the 13 odd miles in the morning, but taking my little grandson (Harvey who is 2) with my son (Harvey's dad) to see the dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum followed by a a meal at the Rainforest Cafe at Piccadilly Circus.  His sister Ashleen who is 4 went to see Paw Patrol with her mum  instead - she was full of beans when we met for the meal. I would rather do the other half of the marathon instead in future as it is less tiring. lol

• Hey all,

Harmander, you sound to me like you've already made up your mind ... but for what is worth - I would say if the niggles don't reappear then yeah go for it! Oh and BTW too fast for your pacing target by 9 seconds? what went wrong? ;)

Donnie2, you sound to me like you're shaping up to ask for money ;) I've a two-year-old - there's no spare cash to be had lol. Great running, nice to pip your targets.

AndrewD, nice Parkrun time sir... Makes me think I'm gonna have to run one of these sometime.

SenidM, Always good to hear someone getting back, and I look forward to following you chasing down the 1000.

MrM2, good luck with the taper sir.

Hobie, final mention for you sir - brief race report, but it says a lot. Proof (were any needed) that not all miles were created equal! Superb!

Finally managed to get myself back out on a Monday morning, makes a big difference to me - starts the week off right lol. No niggles or pains, just feeling generally a bit leggy - but that's to be expected I suppose.

27 Aug - 13.45m

YTD: 943.99 Miles (only a runner wouldn't just round that up!)