P&D Autumn Marathon 2018

Comments

• Hope the achilles clears up Reg. Stick to riding your bike. You're just as good at that.

Scott - Sorry to hear mate, I did see the results Nick posted afterwards so knew you'd just missed out. Been speaking to him this morning and he said to say that conditions were far from ideal, so on a better day I think you'd have been there. Nearly went down to Wimbledon myself last night (I think you mean 14:10 for the 5km!), the track is a 10 minute walk from my house. Nightmare for your coach, you should've got him to call me, we've got a spare bed!

Monster session on the bike this morning, basically a 50 minute time trial around Richmond Park, as hard as you can. 40 miles total in 2 hours. Could barely turn the pedals on the way home. 
  • Catch up time for me.  Lots going on on here in the last few days.

Thanks for the LT pace advice a page or so back chicksta - you mentioned you did 4:43/km for your first sub-3:30 which gives me some added confidence considering I'm working with 4:39/km.  Great 10k result, did you get any prizes?  And a promising 20 miler too.  +1 to cool and overcast in Berlin.  An odd lie-in will do you good.

Seeing a live badger is a good running highlight Macca.  I have only ever seen squashed ones next to the road.

Good 30km HA.

Nice cross-training with the dancing, partying and walking Jools.

Well done on your city2surf PB and high placing John.  That is a lot of participants!  

Bad luck on the conditions yesterday Scott.  Moving house (or helping someone to) is good cross-training.  Will watch the video thanks.  Not fun for your coach regarding the car.

Well done on your tri Reg even if you weren't happy with the results, hope that Achilles improves soon.  

Hope the biking increase went well Stevemac

Well done on your pr first finisher and PB muddy.  Hope you don't have any illness lurking at the moment.

Good Sunday race SQ despite the distractions and shoe issues.  Nice conditions/ course by your writeup.  Good MP session.  Thanks for the Ethiopian / video links will have a look into them.

Good biking Joe.  

For me a 10.5 (errm 6.5 mile) tune-up race yesterday.  Warm and a bit mugggy are not my best conditions but I was very happy to get round in 45:57 for 4th in my age group (F40) and 10th lady overall (of 147).  Went through 10km in an inofficial PB time (43:57) so will definitely have a go at that one in a 10km in 2 weeks time.  Lost a bit of time on the first mile due to congestion and on the second due to stitch but felt strong legwise the whole way round.  The lungs struggled to keep up with them though.  Please to finish in front of some pepole I would normally be behind.  4 seconds were missing to being able to stand on the podium for my age group but I did at least get to stand next to it as they were pretty generous with prizes.  Rest day today, LR tomorrow and then a hill race on Sunday - will take that easy though - just out to score some points at least for the team.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice work on the tune up race Hazel, sounds like that PB is going to get a good revision.

Quality work on the bike Joe, I attempted a 3 x 15 minute session at a similar wattage on Sunday and only managed 30 minutes so 50 minutes is great going, you may be one of the few that can match that FTP over an hour for real. What's that Richmond Park loop like Joe, seems a lot of the London based triathletes go there, is it just because there's not much else or does it provide a good ride?

Muddy, running hills, even small ones probably isn't a good idea! I have no idea about my shoes I just order a pair off the internet that look alright and put them on! I have seen a physio befoer about it and I am doing the previously prescribed eccentric loading. Also doing some calf raises, foam rolling and general other bits. From what I've read I think it's best to just moderate the workload. Although I've barely broken 30 miles in a week all year.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Damn conditions, Scott. Fingers crossed for a perfect day on Saturday. You're so brave to race these painful distances. Your poor coach! What a nightmare.

Reg: calf raises should hopefully do the trick. But perhaps it's time to go to a running shop and find the right shoes to speed up achilles recovery ...

Impressive bike stuff, Joe. Has your leg recovered fully from the IM accident?

Hazel: Top work at the 10.5k :+1: You'll be breezing to a sub 3:30. I got a 3:24 marathon off a 44:10 10k and 1:34 HM time aged 45. Incidentally, that was the last time I ran reasonably well before all that injury crap :/
    No bling for me - it was a very low key affair around the proper 10000m event on the track.

Just a 10 mile jog this morning. It's heated up again. Sigh.
  • Hazel - sounds like the race went excellently; great work. I think that PB is going to come crashing down in 2 weeks time. Hope the hill race goes well.

Reg - We've seen in the past that you've got strong form on the bike, just need to get back into the swing of it with some harder riding. I think my FTP at the moment would probably be around 325w. Richmond Park - bit of both really, it really is the only place to ride in south London without having to travel out to the countryside which takes 45 minutes to get to. But it's an awesome 7 mile loop - really testing and technical parts to keep it interesting. Not a place to go to ride fast times though!

Chicksta - certainly logging the miles at the moment, great stuff.

Katie did the dreaded 12 with 7 @ LT session this morning. Anyone got that coming up?
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Ugh, poor Katie. I had it last week but did the 10k race instead. It was a lot less painful! Running with company makes such a difference.

Cycling in London must be really dangerous I suppose. I'd be scared to death. Is Richmond Park traffic free?
  • Morning all. 

Have you tried to increase iron, HA. Worth getting retested if you have? Nice fartlek. 

Hope the Achilles heels up (groan), Reg. As Joe says, an opportunity to smash out some swims and biking. 

Hard luck Scott. Good luck tomorrow. Packing the races in. The benefit of shorter stuff I suppose! Although for significantly more pain...

Joe that is shifting on a hilly and twisty course. And a huge power output. 

Great racing Hazel. Podium spot as well!

Nice 10M jog, chicksta- definitely language from this thread!

Cracking run this morning. Decided to go long today rather than Sunday, with half an eye on a 10k in 9 days and fitting in another long one next Wednesday. 9.2M warm up, then local laps for 10M at MP effort. Really pleased to run these between 6:10 (downhill) and 6:30, for about a 6:22 or so average for the section. Listened to music (very rare) and had a couple of caffeine gels which seemed to help. Now about the crash and burn! 20M at 6:59 average total. Real confidence booster. 

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Great long run there SQ, I've not done a long run since Abingdon!

Joe, that loop sounds ok but I don't think I could cope with being in London. I take for granted the pretty good cycling we have around my area. I reckon I am just missing the long rides, I did a 10 mile TT in July and knocked 1 second off my PB averaging 334w so I reckon I am still around the 320 FTP mark. I have 11 weeks until the Euros which is probably about a week or 2 after Kona.

Did 40 x 100 in the pool last night and went as quick as I've ever done but I am pretty fatigued today! That's got to be close to a yellow card HA?

I liked the 12 with 7 @ LT when I did it.

Just a 10 mile jog, Chicksta. I look around my office and see plenty of people that would see that as a major challenge!
  • Macca - Never seen a badger whilst out running, but we do get some in the garden!
    Hazel - Nice tune up race.
    Joe - Ouch to the 12 with 7 that Katie did, that's a nasty session!

Cycling going OK, 45 mins both on Tuesday and Thursday. An hour planned for tomorrow. No cycle computer, so no idea how far I'm going as on turbo indoors!
  • I also don't mind the LT runs - I know I have to work quite hard but they are done in a reasonably short time.  I find the marathon pace sections in long runs harder to cope with in training on my own.

Nice running SQ and swimming Reg.  Good to hear you are progressing with the cycling SteveMac.

Need to go out for a long run today but work is still getting in the way and there is a big thunderstorm about to happen.   Should get it done still though.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Didn't mean to sound blasé about that 10 miler. The jog referred to the pedestrian pace rather than the distance ;)

Hope you can manage that long run, Hazel.

Steve: Good turbo training there. Being stuck indoors must be hard though. Good training for mental strength I suppose.

I've no idea what FTP is :#

SQ: Boom. Brilliant run there. I just did my 600m reps at your MP and thought I was fast :D

Felt pretty washed out this morning but gave myself a good talking to and a kick up the backside to do the session on the treadmill. As much as I hate treadmills but they're great for intervals. Just an easy run tomorrow and then a HM race on Sunday.

Happy weekend all

• Chick - Richmond Park isn't traffic free, but gates aren't open to cars until 6.30am. However, cars in there are much more used to cyclists and expect there to be loads of them, and the entire park has a 20mph speed limit which is enforced so not many people use it as a cut through to save time. Good luck for the half on Sunday! What one?

SQ - long run sounds like a real confidence booster, great pace as well. Looking promising. 

Reg - yeah it's not ideal, especially if you want longer riding. Like everything else though, you just find a way. How fast you doing those 100s in then? No yellow cards being used at the moment as HA has gone AWOL again; it's a free-for-all.

Steve - how is the new turbo treating you?

Hazel - be careful in the thunder..

Nothing major for me this weekend, might have a pop at a hilly parkrun though - we've got a club 'mob-match' up at Gladstone Park. With my running at the moment, will be lucky to duck under 18 on a hilly course. 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    I'm in Germany, Joe. It's the Bremerhaven half but I doubt anyone will have heard of this place ;)
  • Good luck to those racing and parkrunning this weekend.

Sorry to any not too familiar with Germany / Switzerland for the next bit:  chicksta - I would guess that Bremerhaven is north of the White-Sausage-Equator and the Fish-Head-Border?  (I used to live in Munich and then Stuttgart....)  These days I live only about 12 miles from the Fried-Potato-Ditch.    (Where the Swiss stop talking German and use French instead).

I did get out for my long run - first time in ages that it has been raining on setting out - got soaked.  The rain stopped after an hour or so but the resultant humidity meant I didn't dry off at all.  Bit of a struggle to do the 17 miles having not eaten enough in the afternoon.  I took a gel before setting off but that didn't go down very well and I found it difficult to take another one after around 40 minutes and didn't bother with a third so I was running on an empty tank by the end. Post-run nausea took a while to wear off but I feel ok now.  
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I’m definitely feeling lazy/unfit reading all your posts but especially SQ’s latest 20M. I’ve managed to drag myself out for an evening 10K the last 2 days after 4 days off & only 30K last week. My 102nd different parkrun tomorrow: Aberdare. Plan is to run it 3 times: wu, race, cd - if I get up in time!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    These low mileage weeks seem to be doing something for my max HR: I maintained over 180bpm at today’s undulating parkrun (19:25), peaking at 183, which is about 10 higher than I was managing at any point during my 100K+ training
    HR on both recent 10K training runs was high for the pace but I put that down to lack of fitness from a month away.
    The HRM is unchanged & the data is smooth so looks pretty reliable.
    Usually find that a fast 5K race time correlates with a higher average HR. Challenge now is to get my aerobic fitness back without exhausting myself.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Good news, Jools. I'm sure your aerobic fitness will come back in no time. Just do lots of easy-ish miles.

Hazel: Weisswurstäquator made me chuckle ;) yep, it's oop north, right by the sea. Practically Scandinavia :smile:

Not much to report in terms of a proper race here. I was in good spirits yesterday as the forecast said cloudy and 20 degrees. Slept extraordinarily well for once and I thought I was on for a good time (I had 1:36-1:37 in my head as that used to be our benchmark for a sub 3:30 marathon). It's a 2.5 hour drive up to the coast and my spirits sank as enemy number one was out: a stiff breeze. It was still a bit overcast as we watched the marathoners set off an hour before us. Then the kids races followed. I love watching those! All kids have this amazingly perfect running form. And then enemy number two showed up: sun. Did about 3 k as a warm-up in a side road sweating sightly. Bummer. This was not going to be easy. Gun went and off we were. Onto cobbles. FFS! After nearly hitting the deck twice I switched into sensible mode and ran marathon pace. Secretly still hoping to find some welly on the second lap if all went to plan. This is Northern Germany. Flat as a pancake, right? Wrong! The landscape is flat alright but the course involves loads and loads of ramps up and down bridges and underpasses. So no long hills but short, nasty and energy sapping climbs. My Garmin recorded nearly 100m of total ascent. It's not much over the course but these were all short and steep and that hurt a bit. Very tight bends too and about one third of the course is cobbles. I held onto MP ok but had no second gear to speed up on lap no. 2. So, a decent enough 1:44:25 for 21.3k. 7th woman overall and 2nd W50. Luckily Berlin is flat and has no tight corners. And if it's a few degrees cooler I might still be in with a chance ;)
    Winning time was 1:21 for the men and 1:36 for the women.

• Sounds like your 10km PB is in for a big rediction soon Hazel :)

Hopefully all the loading etc over time will sort it out Reg

Looking further ahead is anyone running Telford or Leeds Abbey Dash 10km?

Massive confidence booster SQ, great run!

Good to see your managing some cycling Steve

Sounds like a decent run chicksta on a far from ideal course, I remember doing the 'flat' MK marathon over here that was flat apart from the million under passes you had to go down and up, felt like mountains at the end of the marathon

The fitness will return quickly Jools, no harm in having a couple of down weeks to let the body recover anyway

Yesterday did the 800m/400m double at the Southampton southern athletics league match. About 40mins between the two. In the 800m tucked into the pack going through 400m in 62 and kicked with 200m to go winning in 2:02:5. Then in the 400m was a non scorer with 2 other blokes much quicker but didn't disgrace myself compared to them running 55.1. Not a bad days work! An hour today at 6:47 pace. All easy now until the final track race at Watford on Wednesday  :)

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Well raced Chicksta in far from ideal conditions.
    Solid performances Scott: a win’s always popular at a league match.
    Pushed it today with 10K before brunch then cycled 10M for a 2K swim. Very tired from 2 late nights catching up on all the summer athletics so the swim was slow. Took the scenic, hilly route home & pushed hard. Was dripping with sweat when I got home but quick change of footwear & I headed out for another hilly trail 10K. I bonked badly after 5M so cut it a bit short. Legs are cramping badly now as if I’d just raced a marathon! Oops.
    Early night calling.

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭
    So today I had a 16 mile run with 12 miles at marathon pace. My target marathon time is 2:50 but I actually ran the whole 16 miles at 2:56 pace but felt good, max heart rate was about 160 so did not push really hard. My question is are marathon paced runs at what you can do now or for target race? My target race is Abingdon in October so I expect to be in better shape by then., let me know your thoughts please
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Well done on the race Hazel, and well done on the half at mara pace Chicksta. It was definitely sensible not to race it and compromise Berlin training, I still find 13 mp to be a tough session with lasting repercussions (speaking as a 48 year old).

Very fast long run SQ - just to reiterate my comments above, while I could do a session like that, I’d be bollocksed for about a week. One to place in the schedule very carefully. Which I’m sure you have ! 

Jooligan - Sounds like you are just rested more than anything. I find higher heart rates are harder to achieve when I’m tired at the peak of a training block. I wouldn’t sweat over today being tough, you’ll soon get back the coordination (and economy) that disappears after a break and makes everything feel like much harder work.

Hard luck with the wind on the sub 2 attempt Scott but nice to pick up the win in the league. Best of luck for Watford.

Around 63 miles for the week for me, best mileage I’ve had for a while. The highlights of the week were 6m marathon effort, parkrun in 17.22 for 4th, and a nice long slow run of 20 miles in warmth and humidity this afternoon. Rest day tomorrow.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    That’s a solid week Muddy. Definitely overdid it at the weekend, calves still really sore in a crampy way. 
    Nonstick: I believe MP runs are meant to be effort based so probably a tad slower than target atm. Saying that I think the training benefit would’ve been better had you done the 12M at target pace & bookended them with some slower miles even if the average pace was slower. Btw 160 sounds pretty high for MP imo. What’s your max?
  • Chick - nice work at the half, sounds like a tough day. You'll be so much faster in Berlin, such a fast course. I remember last year I ran a half a few weeks before Valencia in a slower pace than my average for the marathon a few weeks later. It's so much tougher on a slow course.

Great racing Scott. Is it a final crack at the 800 at Watford on Wednesday?

Standard Jooligan - diving back into it!

Impressive parkrun Muddy, great stuff.

Nonstick - As Jooligan said, you're much better to follow the script and run the slower miles either side of the marathon pace segment to get a better idea of where you're at. Those 12 miles at MP should feel hard but just about manageable. Heart rate is very individual, and you should use past races to get an idea what is sustainable for you. My marathon heart rate is in the mid 160s for most of the race, but everyone's will be different. 

We had a 'mob match' against a rival club at Gladstone parkrun on Saturday. One of the harder courses I've done, 2 laps and some pretty tasty hills. I gave it a pretty hard effort, and ended up with 17:57, which I'm not too unhappy with. However, with 250m to go I was in a group of 3 and they both out-kicked me which was less pleasing. Need to work on that mental toughness. 

60 mile ride and 4 mile run yesterday. 8 weeks to go to Kona and the proper hard work starts this week. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Hey guys I've been off the grid a bit technology wise on my holiday last week - I like to take a break from the phone as well as work if I can!

Reading back some great stuff been going on:

Joe: exciting and daunting that Kona is so close

Muddy: good mileage week and great parkrun result as well

Jools: packed weekend for you as ever!

Scott: good effort on the 800m/400m double and fingers crossed for a sub 2 at Watford this week

Chicksta: good result on a difficult course - I hate those constant ups and downs and its not just that they are energy sapping but mentally its tough because you never get into your stride for any decent length of time.

Hazel: well done on the race and 4th place, a real confidence booster and well backed up on the 17 miler

SQ: brilliant long run - you're in great shape!

Reg: hope the achilles clears up soon - sounds like you are doing the right stuff with the calf raises etc. I always find they help a tight achilles.

Macca: pretty much everyone I spoke to asked why I was doing the NDW instead of the SDW as my first 100

Recovery has gone well the last 2 weeks. Did a few runs on hols last week and the legs felt good so went to parkrun and did a 19:51 at Southampton which is only my 3rd time under 20 mins so that was nice. Did a 10 miler yesterday so legs are definitely recovering much quicker than I thought.
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Nonstick - Run them at an effort that feels as though you could sustain for the marathon. One way to know that the effort is sustainable is to observe afterwards that your heart rate wasn't climbing (or pace dropping off) through the 12 miles.

Excellent hilly Parkrun and weekend's training Joe.  On 'mental toughness' - I remembered you ran a half (or was it a marathon) after a collision with a car in the bike phase. I don't think you have to worry too much on that front.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Morning, dropping in for a weekly catch up

Hazel - great racing, and a confidence booster to finish ahead of faster runners. You seem to have had a strong training block so building up nicely for Berlin. Almost taper time!

Chicksta - great result on a hilly course. I always think of them as great for learning to run at changing paces, which can be useful when you need to move between groups or just up the effort in the closing stages. 

Scott - congrats on the win, sub 2 seems close. How many more races do you have?

muddy - big mileage week must be a good sign for you, if you can maintain that you’ll be in great shape to finish strongly. 

Jools - great efforts at racing/training/mixing it up

joe - solid training again, you’re carrying the fitness through well for the Kona block, must give you bags of confidence. 

SQ - racking up some seriously impressive training, great use of the school holidays! What big sessions do you have coming up?

I managed a couple of longer paced efforts last week. Firstly 10k alternating 1k between HMP and sub-MP. I have done this at 10k/MP in the past but happy just to get through it. Then yesterday did the P&D 22M w/14M@MP, coming out at 6:37/mile (or 4:07/km) on an undulating loop with over 800ft. I always dread this session but once I’m into it I quite enjoy it, it’s hard but not enough to leave you wrecked. Am enjoying making up the weeks as I go, may do some more long intervals this week. 
  • Well done on your half Chicksta, good time for a not so easy course.  I love watching the kids races as well.

Good 800 win Scott.  Best of luck for your final track race in Watford.  I hope you get optimal conditions this time.

Hard mix that yesterday Jools.   

Good week that muddy.  

Good luck for the start of your training block Joe.  

AWC: phone break is a good idea.  Well done on your sub 20.

Great 22 miler John.  

spoons if you are currently lurking: keep forgetting to ask how your feet are?

Hill race for me yesterday - 8.6 miles with 855m of ascent in 1:36:38 by my watch and 1:37:20 officially (strange as I started my watch a couple of seconds before the line and stopped it a few after).  Was in two minds whether to do this one or not as I hadn't done any decent hill training in a couple of months and I had done a hard race on Wednesday and a long run on Friday.  I wanted to turn out for the team though and also get a fifth race done in the series so as to get an overall finisher ranking.  Kept the effort sensible so I should recover from it ok for this week's training.  Spent most of the downhill bits pulling up my shorts every few seconds which was a bit irritating - they are a bit too big but so far on the flats and ups I've had no trouble!  
    Legs didn't feel too bad this morning on a four mile recovery. 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Muddy: Great week there. For a moment I thought that 17:22 parkrun was run at MP :D

Nice track double there, Scott

Crikey, Jools. That's one tough little private triathlon you did.

Well done on the mob match, Joe. Only 8 weeks to go. Time flies.

AWC: Very impressive seeing you knock out a sub 20 park run already.

JohnOz: alternating MP and HMP is such a great session. I used to do it pre injury. Must get back to those eventually. It makes MP feel easy :). And what a brilliant 22 miler you did on a tough course. Excellent work.

That sounds proper hard core Hazel. Well done. Hope you don't get Tuesday legs ;)

Just a 6 mile recovery run for me today. Legs were surprisingly bouncy. Clearly the MP yesterday didn't wreck them which is just as well as I have one final big week coming up.

• Full on day that Jooligan no wonder you were ready for sleep

You're flying nonstick, you should be pushing towards those mp runs being target pace but obviously unlikely to be possible early on in the campaign so go by effort. Only thing I'd say is just make sure doing the long run that quick affects the rest of the training, if so consider dropping the pace for the non mp parts

Solid week muddy with a good mixture of training  :)

It's a 1500m at Watford this week Joe, haven't managed to run a PB in the 1500m this year so hoping to end the season on a high. Look forard to seeing more crazy volume of training from you over the coming weeks

Good to hear the recovery is going well AWC, I may have missed it but whats the next target?

Smashing long run John!

That sure looked a tough race judging by the elevation Hazel, legs obviously in decent shape if after that they're okay this morning

• Scott good luck with the 1500.

Some decent LRs being posted, SQ, John, Muddy and Hazel (plus hilly race).

Likewise, well done on the placings Chicksta, Berlin sounds like its coming round soon. I might go and have a look at the list (whistfully).

Nonstick, can only echo what others have said.  For me, I find MP pace doesnt change a great deal, more the ability to hold it for longer gets better.  

Joe - like Scott, looking forward to the Strava feed whilst I munch my bowl of cereal in the morning.

AWC - SDW100 registration opens this Saturday I believe - although appreciate it might not be on your list of immediate priorities.

Jools - love that training.

Ticking over here, without a plan my runs all appear to be merging into similar distances at similar paces.  Prompted by paying my GFA entry and a snow cancelled rearranged half fast appearing on the horizon I might start a P&D plan just to get me running at different paces.