Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Thanks. I plan on doing this for at least 16 weeks. I'll throw some strides in and vary the routes to keep things interesting. When the time comes to do the tempo runs I'll post on here and maybe you guys could give me an idea on what I should start with. Let's see how the increase in mileage treats me first :smile:
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

reasonable outing Saturday. Wind was a slight issue but not significant. Ran 38.23 for 13th. Missed a pb by 5 seconds, however my pb was on a course that was on the shorter side of accurate and at 6.23 this was on the longer side.

I beat CJ de Mooi formerly of Eggheads. He ran a pb of 39.00.

Very comfortable 15 yesterday in cooler temps.

Good run that, DT. Had a feeling that you would be comfortably low 38's.

You've beaten CJ before (as did all of us from the thread who did London 2016), he finished in 3:30 odd, having gone through halfway at sub 3 pace.

I'm still easy running around Auckland. Might attempt some marathon pace type fare later...

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

he beat me by 2 minutes in my first attempt in 2014 and I noted he went sub 3 in 2015, so I guess he had justification to go out in 2016 at that pace.

I am hoping to get out over lunchtime for a mp run. London GFA opens today.

• Options
    I have beaten CJ 3 times (she said, smugly). The best time was 2015 when you may recall I also beat Jenson Button and have the photographic evidence to prove it. However, I am not sure I would be beating CJ in a 10k at the moment, so well done DT!

Welcome David - easy running is my favourite.
  • Options
    Well done on the near pb 10k DT. I noticed that the Conductive Education 10k is going ahead again this year if you fancy that - early November and the weather will undoubtedly be cooler and you’ll be coming at it off the back of marathon training. Thanks for the reminder, I’ll get my gfa entry in.

Good luck with your continuing Auckland explorations Tommy.

David, my feeling is that 16 weeks of purely easy running is quite a long spell to be just jogging around. You’ve kind of gone from one extreme to another ! I would suggest, like DT did, building in small progressions in a weekly ‘session’. Start that ‘session’ or ‘quality’ when you are around 25 mpw and it could be increased up to around 20% of weekly miles.

• Options
    Thanks for having me literatin :smile:

muddyfunster - you're right. I have jumped from one to the other but I'm happy to work slowly and steadily to my long term goal. Week 6 has me doing 24 miles (6/8/4/6). I will throw in a progression session on the 4-miler perhaps? Any particular pace I need to be focusing on or should I look to just make it gradually faster and faster? I don't want to get all regimental with it but also want to get the most out of the session.

Cheers.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Had my gfa verified. Not even sure I'll be able to run it next year, however I think given the circumstances of how the gfa times were reduced, catching a lot of people out and the weather for this years London which is where a lot of people get their GFA, I have more chance of my 3.04.45 getting me in this year than next year. According to the rules, if you defer an accepted gfa place you have to have a qualifying time for the following years London that is equal to or faster than the time that got you the gfa. You don't however have to meet the qualifying standard of that year. Therefore my 2018 London time would be adequate.

Muddy, yes I have the Conductive education pencilled in as that is where my pb was earned last year.

5 at mp/160 bpm over lunch came out bang on 6.45 target for 158. Ive had better runs of this nature during autumn and winter but still decent enough.

• Options
    Good effort DT. I am also verified GFA for London 2019.

Now back from my holidays and managed approximately 35 miles in the run up to today's 19 mile race.

I did 2.07 something in my 19 miler this morning (including stops for water and sweets) finishing 3rd (it was a no prize event, but I did get a free bottle of coconut water ... bleurgh!)

My soft and supple shoes were again no match for the stony ex-railway line trail and I have sore feet once again. One day I'll learn. I had planned to keep it around mara heart rate effort to get an idea of where my endurance was but after 14 I thought I would just wind it down to a steady effort as my legs were getting heavy and feet aching.  The last 4 miles *felt* very tough but it wasn't as bad as I feared in terms of pace drop off - losing around 20s per mile over the first 4 miles - and in the end it was around mara effort average. Strava has me at 6.42 min/mile pace for the parts where I wasn’t stopped to take on water.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Just back from holiday and you smash out a 19 mile race - impressive!

Meanwhile, I slipped getting into the shower a few days ago and bashed my shin on the rim.  Very painful and bloody so I barely noticed that I'd also strained a calf muscle slightly.  Shin has healed over and doesn't hurt now but, after today's run, my calf has really stiffened up.  I'm hobbling around like an old man, which isn't that surprising given my age.  A spell on the bench beckons :(  Why couldn't I have done that while it was too hot to run rather than just as it's cooling down? 
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Evening.

Good effort and good result on the 19 miler, muddy. Shame about the ruined feet as a result.

Pete, hope the shin injury and calf issue resolve quickly.

DT, seems like the mara training has started well.

Last night I took part in one of the most bonkers races possible....The O'Hagan's 5K in Auckland harbour. I'd seen the race advertised and looked up some of the previous results and it seemed like a pretty decent race with 70-100 people taking part, winning times usually 15/16 minutes and as part of your entry fee ($8 or ~£4) you got a pint (typical cost here is about £5). Got to the pub and whilst registering the organiser lady spotted that I wasn't a regular so showed me a map which basically showed running around the harbour, across a few straights, along a 'shared access area', over another couple of streets, and then follow a road out to a cone, run round it and then head back the way you came. Seemed simple enough and assumed it would be marked and marshalled etc.

Jogged out a bit of a warm up before getting to the start 'line' 5 minutes before the off. There were quite a few people hanging around but not in anyway representing a typical star to a race, with people on the pavement on both sides of the road. The organiser came over with a megaphone, which didn't appear to be switched on, mumbled something about cars have priority, look out for each other and if you don't now where you're going follow the person in front. The next sentence was 'enough of me, it's time to get this party started' and with that people started legging it down the street...apparently this was the race starting; no countdown, no hooter, no whistle, nobody saying go. 

Anyway, after the slightly bizarre start we were off and that was equally as mental, people all over the road and pavements (bearing in mind it's now dark), a motorbike comes up the road beeping its horn scattering people. After a couple of hundred metres we approach a mini roundabout, as I get there a car approaches from the left, I break my stride but everyone around me keeps on a full pelt so I just go with it, waving a shrugged apology at the driver. Turn into a couple of side streets which are mercifully traffic free but a bit twisty so you don't know what's round the corner. Along a pavement past a hotel turn a slight corner and there's some steps down to the water, have to jump across the corner of the steps as some guy cuts in. Across another road, it's very informal, cross the road as and when you can without getting squashed. Into the 'shared space' which is basically a pedestrian bit which cars are allowed to drive along slowly, h what's that all about?!. Across another road, which has a car waiting to turn out of it, thankfully the driver has spotted this mad-cap race and is patiently waiting. First mile comes up in about 6:00 flat, which is ok considering the obstacles and the fear factor. Adrenaline levels are through the roof.

Now on to the quiet wharf road which is a bit of a relief as there's no cars up here. However, there's also no street lights and the road isn't the smoothest. Plus there's a strong breeze coming off the sea. Around the top of the wharf and down the other side, wind behind now and I catch and overtake a couple of people. Approaching the turnaround point and I see the leaders coming the other way, count them and by the time I get to the cone, I'm in 20th place. Realise at this point that I've not seen a single marshal.  Back up the wharf road and the wind seems much stronger. Overtake a couple of blokes who seem to have blown up completely. Back down the wharf and second mile comes up in 6:15 ish. Surprised that it's much slower than first mile but guess this is due to the headwind and running round the cone.

Into the third mile and the 'thrill' of running along open roads with a potential for a car to appear at any moment returns. The adrenaline ha started to ease now and I'm a little more cautious. Gaining on a small group in front of me but can't seem to quite bridge the gap. Round a corner, nearly take out a girl who's come out of the building with a takeaway and back up to the first roundabout. Car approaching, this time I come to an almost standstill before being waved across by the driver. Up towards where we started and then remember something about running in between the palm trees to the benches. Cross the finish line and have a bit of a sit down and a shake of my head whilst contemplating that bonkers race. Finished in 19:20, which I'm pretty pleased with considering the course etc.

In to the pub and claim my free pint. I'm then informed that your race number goes into a raffle which includes some wine, a $100 bar tab and a $50 voucher for the local running shop. Hang around for the raffle, don't win anything in the raffle. Race was won by a youth in 16:38. He doesn't seem too impressed with his 3 bottles of wine for winning. Ladies race is won in 19:56 by a v60, who's only been running a couple of years, which is quite impressive, she's off to Malaga to for the Masters World Champs where she's one of the favourites in all the events she's entered.

Utterly ludicrous race but a good thing at the same time. Will probably give it another go when I'm back here in September, hopefully it will be a bit lighter then and I'll b a bit more prepared for what the course has to throw at me.                 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That sounds truly mental.

I think success is being alive to tell the tale.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    That does indeed sound completely bonkers, Tommy, especially as you were also running upside down ;)
    After 3 days of irritable "resting", I was relieved to find that my calf seemed to have sorted itself out.  I've since done three easy runs, including a welcome one in the rain today, so I think I may have had a lucky escape.
  • Options
    Tommy, wacky races of the wrong kind !

Glad the slip wasn't too disastrous Pete and you've been able to get up and running.

I had a parkrun victory at the weekend on a hilly mixed terrain course (18.22 - a course pb by 1 second). However that, the lack of a rest day during the week, and not eating enough across Friday and Saturday left me feeling fairly tired out for Sunday's run which I cut short at 10 miles. So that meant I settled for a 50 mile week. I have since been eating plenty and may try for a long run this evening.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That does sound typically up your street Tommy!

Well done on the win, Muddy. 

just back from 12 nights in Lanzarote. Managed some reasonable training there. Also just received my London 19 gfa acceptance. Was sweating it a bit as only had 15 second margin. 
  • Options
    Hmm I've not had anything yet - is that via snail mail DT ?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    had an e mail about 12.30. 

Well given your time is 20 minutes under the threshold I don't think you need to worry. 
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I'm only worried I'll qualify ;) No, it was more the thought that they have a definite cut off date even if there should be  an administrative error. 

Edit: as if by magic, the email just arrived in writing this post.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good stuff, Muddy. Got my hotel booked straight away.

13 mile mlr last night. Whilst it was still 20c and sunny there was a degree of freshness which was nice. Came out 7.45 pace for 142bpm so absolute bottom end easy which was pleasing.

Planning a 5 mile recovery some point today and then if I can get up a parkrun at a reduced tempo effort tomorrow.

• Options
    Do you use a hotel with late checkout DT ? Or stay overnight in London on the Sunday ?

I managed 30 mins of elliptical and (leg) weights in the gym yesterday lunch and then after work approx. 1 hr 25 of easy effort (around 11-ish miles - no watch though) for my second moderately tough day of this week . The other moderately tough one was 9 with 6m marathon effort on Tuesday. 5m recovery this morning with 4m easy planned for later. I am also going to parkrun tomorrow and I will try to give it a bit of welly.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I book a premier Inn fairly centrally and pay £20 for 4pm check out ( I think that's the time) when I'm there. Gives me time to finish, drink beer, shower and leave. My hotel was £140 in Holborn for a family rm.
  • Options
    I'll probably do something similar then. Mind you it was hard to move around quickly last time. Showering by 4pm seems a bit of a stretch!

I had a good week for mileage - 63 ish and finished 4th at Parkrun on Saturday in 17.22. The other session of the week was 6m of marathon effort. Long slow run was 20m in the warmth and humidity yesterday. I need a rest now!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muddy, I am glad you said that about it being muggy as I just thought I was being shit yesterday in my 20. Gives me 51 for week which is decent as I was on holiday until Wednesday pm.

Last year I finished, sat down for a bit, walked to pub and had 3 pints, walked 20 minutes back to my hotel, showered and checked out by 4pm. You need to speed up!

Parkrun Saturday in 19.07 for 5th place. Aimed for 6.05 pace and this was going well with miles 1 and 2 coming in at 6.05 and effort feeling hardish but controlled. At 2.5 my stomach went and I had to stop and then again at 2.75. This cost me a place and a comfortablish sub 19. I'll put it down to the fact that at 8am I was sat in bed with tea and toast.

Hoping for a big week this week before a mini taper for Wolverhampton half.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Good parkrunning muddy and DT.  I have nothing so exciting to report but I did manage 57 km last week, which is my highest total since May. Let's hope the high temperatures have gone away until next year!  I also ran a 2km section quite fast during my easy run today.  Unbelievable scenes!
  • Options
    Yes my 20 miler was pretty slow DT, when I went out it was 21 degrees and humid. I wasn't too worried by the pace as I'd had a good workout with the parkrun the day before. I'm going to do a slightly stiffer long run next Sunday with the Severn Bridge Half featuring - there will most likely a big chunk of marathon effort involved in that.

I sat down for more than 'a bit' after London 2017 and couldn't get back up. I think I'll try to head back post race next year, before rigor mortis sets in.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

good running , Pete. That's about 35 miles in real money then?

I suspect you will have some stiff breezes to contend with in that event! Yep I think it is worth keeping moving as best you can afterwards. Though I do like to hang about for a bit afterwards and take in the occasion.

5 miles at recovery effort yesterday, which was more humid than sunday. Planning 4 at hmp later, though it looks set to be warm.

• Options
    Nearly 60 miles for the week for me. I ran easy all week and planned the workouts for the weekend - parkrun at threshold (19.02 - hilly trail course) and then 19m with 13.1m at marathon effort around the Severn Bridge Half on Sunday. It chucked it down and I’ve not been so drenched and cold in a long time. The course was quite up and down (750ft+ of elevation gain) and I managed 1.24.06 on chip for a few beats under my normal marathon effort, so was pleased with that outcome. I had a very miserable freezing cooldown jog of 5km that should have been more, but tramping through puddles on an industrial estate in the pouring down rain held little appeal.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well done, Muddy. I'm not sure id have chased the cool down miles .

I pushed my 20 yesterday to today. I went out and did an easy 8 which was fun enough but I wouldn't want to have been out much longer. 

I did 20 today which went well. cutting back this week as racing Sunday. 
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    That sounds a very tough weekend's work, muddy.  Well done!

I've been doing some running in Edinburgh and near Nottingham but nothing longer than 11km and all slow.  My Edinburgh-based daughter has given me her old Forerunner 230 as she now has a 735xt for her crazy off-road triathlon training and racing.  I've done a few runs with it and I like it.  Somewhat bemused by the race predictor though.  I am nowhere near race fitness yet it's predicting a 10k time of 43:12, which is 90 seconds quicker than my pb - no chance!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    you'll learn to completely disregard the race predictor, Pete. Some of the times it offers me ate beyond aspirational!
  • Options
    Hi all, Just a small update from me and couple of questions. I am currently on week 6 and ran a very enjoyable 8 around Greenwich on Sunday in the rain. A very welcome change after the recent hot weather.

This week I'm aiming for 24 miles in total. I have kept injury free and have felt more or less refreshed before every single run. I can now see how slowing the pace leads to more consistent and effective training.

One thing my body has wanted to do though and that is go faster. Whilst for the most part I've been able to keep my average pace at 8:30/m a fair few of my miles are around 8:05 - 8:15/m. Whilst I don't want to get too fussy about it I'm wondering if running at this sort of pace could be beneficial for me later on down the line and set me up nicely for my quality sessions.

Next week I will introduce a progressive run (once a week?) and so the average pace will obviously be quicker. I just thought I'd try and get some thoughts on how I could make use of what seems to be a slightly more natural running pace. Happy to be told to shut up and keep to 8:30/m though. I will just have to try harder.

I also have a 5k race on Friday. After today's 6m effort would it be wise for me to skip tomorrow and then race Friday? Or could I put in a cheeky 4/5m tomorrow beforehand?

Thanks again for your help.