Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good digging in there, GM. Well played.

Birch - Absolute shocker! Bloody hell!! Hope all is OK and your friend is alright? 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Badbark - great intervals and remarkable progress in just 2 weeks. My shoes start falling to pieces before 2000 miles! Then again, I do buy cheap Aldi and Lidl rubbish ;)
    DT19 - how many pairs of shoes do you have going at any one time? Currently, I am using 4 pairs, so they get only get used once every 4 days at most. It might be complete rubbish, but I read somewhere that it's good to give them a rest and use them no more than every other day. Good effort at parkrun - I've never had a stomach issue like that so I'm obviously not trying hard enough. Well done grinding out the 20 miler.
    GD - good long run, but I thought you said it was an early start ;)
    GM - nippy parkrun and hilly long run with a fast finish; that's a good weekend's work.
    Stevie - wow, that's a fantastic parkrun PB! Your coach is obviously getting you to do something right.
    OO - tidy parkrun to say you were tired and 17 miles to boot.
    Leslie - you've just reminded me I haven't done any "hill" sprints for a while now. P&D isn't great on variety, so maybe I'll throw some in this week.
    Birch - crikey, sorry to hear that. Hope she's okay.
    Nice weekend in France. Took the ferry to Calais on Saturday morning and spent sometime exploring the Dunkerque area before returning on Sunday afternoon.
    10 miles this morning with 12 x 100m strides. Avg pace 7:26/m but it was essentially another progressive run.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Stevie – Congrats on the awesome Parkrun time! That’s an incredible improvement, you definitely have a lot of talent and I’m really interested to see how you progress.

OO – Nippy Parkrun and good mileage

DT –Yikes, eating solid food that close to running is a bit risky. Would you normally do this? Still a good Parkrun performance.

Leslie – I try to run intervals on grass but that would be less than 10% of weekly mileage. I’m glad you enjoyed the hill sprints. I really enjoy them too and the amount of benefit you’ll get from doing them regularly is amazing.

GD – Great 18 miler. Sorry but I’d have to argue that 4 miles at 7:12 pace is not really recovery at our ability. Personally I think recovery should be about 1:30-2 m/m slower than MP. It might be worth considering that your knees are getting sore because you are not running recovery runs slow enough and not because of 500 mile shoes. Sorry just a thought :)

GM – Good Parkrun and that sounds like a useful 22 mile run you’ve banked.

Birch – Sorry for your friend, I hope they are ok?

Gul – That sounds like a good weekend in France. Nice 10 miler with strides.

I ran 21 miles on Saturday including a 19:19 moderate effort Parkrun. Then yesterday I ran 11 miles finishing with a 10k race. It was a good flat course with little wind although a bit warm with the sun out.

I felt great throughout the race picking people off in the second half, running at just over 6 m/m pace. My final mile was 5:45 pace but was disappointed that the course was short at only 5.9 miles. I decided to run an extra 0.3 of a mile on my own as I wanted an honest 10k result. My personal time was 37:17 while the organisers have me at 35:38 which is over a minute faster than my PB - but I'm not claiming that.

I’m still happy with 6:01 average pace, especially after the 21 miles the day before and 323 miles in 3 weeks. That’s only 5 seconds a mile off my PB pace, totally untappered, so I’m definitely nearing peak condition in time for Berlin.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice early 10, Gul. I have one pair of general road shoes on the go at a time and a pair of tempo shoes. Yes, I understand if you use 2/3 pairs and alternate them it allows the cushioning to recover and restore and so they last longer.

Re the stomach issue, I wasn't working at a level that should have brought that on. My average pace at the time was the same as what I went through 5k at in my last 10k.

Badbark, an excellent 10k time in any event, let alone taking into account the mitigating factors. Annoying it was short. I think to take a 10k as accurate, for me it needs to come in over 6.1.

I usually have a 2 hour pre race solids rule, however as I wasn't planning a full on effort I felt I could get away with it.

Legs feel a little stiff today so planning 3-5 miles over lunchtime at recovery, which I will aim for 8.30-8.45mm. Into the business end of the schedule now with 8 weeks training left, 2 of which are taper weeks.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Managed to have a catch up from the weekend. Thanks for all the congratulations!

Great longrunning from GD,GM & DT.

Congrats on the 10k Badbark! That is a huge amount of miles for a pair of shoes, you must be light on your feet!

Good hill reps Leslie, I really enjoy them although I haven't been set any this campaign.

Good parkrun DT considering the stomach issues. I don't normally eat before, just have a sports drink and maybe a caffeine shot.

I hope your friend is OK Birch, very scary!

Headed straight to a wedding after parkrun on Saturday which was a good day. Sunday I definitely didn't rehydrate enough before my planned 13 miles. Started getting stomach cramps from around mile 6, managed to tough it out for 6 more but was reduced to barely a jog for the last 3. Had to walk to the last 400m, so managed 12.6. Never had stomach issues on a run before but I'm pretty sure it was just the dehydration from the day/night before.

9 easy miles on the plan tonight then 7 mile reps on the track tomorrow. That will be 5 days running in a row so will be glad to get to Wednesday and rest day!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Cracking time Indeed Badbark you are in fine form.
    Yes that's odd Stevie probably just a one off that will not repeat.
    I think I've got about six pairs on the go, hard to know how many miles they have each done, over 1000 I'd guess unless they break beforehand and go in the bin.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Badbark - Quality pace for your 10k. Good man for adding the extra distance. It's a real bug bear of mine, I'd much rather a course was a bit long than short. I recall doing a 10k about 5 years ago and it was about 200m short and a lot of runners at the finish were saying how they smashed it etc. I was in disbelief as they were all experienced runners and have GPS watches. I for one wasn't happy that it was short and called it a 6 miler race. 

Gul - Sounded like a very enjoyable weekend in France. Nice prog 10. 

DT - Yes, I don't think food is necessary pre a parkrun and I sure don't think it helps, it's a bit of a risk I'm not willing to take as I take ages to properly digest my food. I didn't have anything before my long run either as I didn't get up early enough but had two gels and a cereal bar on the run and was fine. Would  defo have something before a mara though and that would usually be porridge and maybe a banana. 

Stevie - That's a tough sounding run. Stomach cramps are unpleasant, especially so early on in the run. 

OO - Are you planning on hitting the parkrun hard here or will it be a sociable jog? I may be tempted to show up and just pootle around the course. 

A chap I know is a photographer and was at parkrun Saturday got some cool action shots. Not sure what I'm doing with my tongue though. The chap in the all blue 2 places behind me is a V60 runner from Scotland and ran 19:2x, his wife was running too and she came 2nd in the Dublin marathon ladies race in 1995. She said she won a car, flogged it the next day and went on the lash n Dublin with the cash from the sale of her prize. Classic story, That's the thing I love about running and parkrun, it's cool meeting visitors who come over and great to hear their running stories.  

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Birch lucky escape for your friend.
    Badbark how they can't accurately measure a course these days is beyond belief
    Gerard there must be something good for tea  given your expression, good parkrun and cool stories you never know who you will meet !
    Stevie probably a lot to do with celebrating at the night before .

4 mile commute to work due to having no car at the minute,rucksack will take a bit of getting used to.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    thanks for the wishes, all - be a while before my friend is able to return home, but it really could have been worse.   

back to running - none yesterday, but for the good reason of a day at the Test match in Nottingham with my son.  Back to it later today.  

nice pic, Gerard -  love the story !!   
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Heck Birch that must be right up there as the scariest thing around.  
    and so easy to panic in that situation.  Not sure about the test match - our tail starts when the openers walk out.

Stevie you are making some of us feel really ooooold. Good running though.

GM that beard looks like a tribute to Ryan Giggs in his latter years

Just back from Kiev where I managed one very short run, it's 30 degrees and very humid.  Didn't see anyone else running or even gently jogging. Either the locals know better, or there isn't much of a running culture.  Back there next month when it will be a bit cooler, got some possible routes identified so maybe a few post-Berlin recovery runs will be a goer.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Badbark - that's a great 10k - all coming together very nicely for Berlin.
    DT19 - okay, I see what you mean about the stomach issue now. I must have been skim reading.
    Stevie - more stomach issues! Hopefully just a one-off.
    GM - that's a great photo. You look totally focused.
    Leslie - I don't like running with a backpack. Will you be running home too?
    Birch - that must be a terrifying experience, hope your friend is getting on okay. Enjoy the cricket - England need a miracle!
    Poacher - I wonder if the locals guessed you were British. How is the foot?
    14 miles this morning. 7 @ 8:14/m and 7 @ 7:13/m.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gerard, good pic. You wouldn't look out of place if you had run straight onto a tennis court for a few sets either.

A car for coming second in a race?!!

Leslie, I hate running with a backpack on. fortunately it doesn't happen much.

Gul, nice 14. You must be targeting a big week?

Poacher, hot weather doesn't stop people in most places so i'd assume there isn't the culture there.

5 miles yesterday lunchtime at 8.41mm. Legs began loosening off towards the end but I generally felt very tired and it was very humid. Spin last night. Planning 4 at around 6.20 pace straight after work. Though forecast is currently for it to be 24c and possibly sunny.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes Gerard will definitely do parkrun in Jersey- will probably pace my wife around in 28 minutes ;) Then hopefully a nice coffee after.
    I had the same experience in St Pete Poacher, nobody running at all.
    Sneaked in a plodding 10 miler yesterday.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    4 at hmp tonight aiming for 6.20. It was bloody hot and sunny! 

Dreadful run splits of 6.21, 6.25, 6.31 and 6.42. Average 6.30. At mile 3 my body was screaming at me however I decided a slower 4th mile was better than no 4th. 

The interesting bit is I had to stop at 3.8 miles to dry heave. However the highest my hr got was 169 so barely threshold. Also in isolation my pace v hr ( 6.30 v 162) in paper was one of my finest runs. 

I must be carrying something as I never heave in training and certainly not st that hr level. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes that sounds odd DT msybe the he heat and humidity.
    I sneaked 8 miles today, lovely warm afternoon so just at plod pace. Keswick tomorrow.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Poacher - Giggsy is one of my all time favourite footballers and in his prime he was a joy to watch running with the ball. He just glided like a slalom skier and seemed to be able to run as fast with the ball as without it. Re Kiev, I can't think of any world renowned endurance runners from there but lots of footballers, Olympians and other sportsmen/women. It's an interesting observation though as the running boom seems to have taken over most places, especially in big cities. Are there any potential races over there while you are there? 

OO - That sounds like a good plan. There is a sports complex next to the parkrun and they have a nice selection of post parkrun refreshments. I usually go there for coffee afterwards with a few pals when I have time. Parkrunners get 10% discount too which is cool. :smiley: Enjoy your return to Keswick! 

Gul - Very nice MLR. When is your next parkrun? 

DT - Yes, she won a car. It was the 90's and most likely a sponsored prize. It was before all the East Africans started to come over and pot hunt. It's a relatively big deal to come 2nd in the Dublin marathon, even was back then. She was in her 40's and ran 2:5x. Not too shabby huh? The prize money nowadays is 12K Euros for the winners but they have separate prizes for Irish athletes who run fast times. I like that incentive. That's really weird re the dry heaving. Hope it's nothing that lingers. 

Birch - Glad your friend is ok. That's the main thing.

4.2 today with a pal. 7:20 target pace, felt comfy and ended up with 7:16. The legs felt good after Sunday's work. 

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Poacher hope you can get a few runs in soon.
    Gul  I'm getting a lift home with my wife, running out again would be a bit much at the minute plus Id need another kit which id have to put in my rucksack which is already overfilled. speedy 14 miler.
    Dt sounds like something isn't right,hope it clears soon.
    Gerard separate prizes for locals makes sense as we could never complete with the kenyans ! nice fast 4.

4m commute again rucksack lighter today so not as annoying but a tad slow at about 10m/m ..

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT19 - hope you haven't picked up a bug; hopefully you'll feel right as rain today. I'm on P&D week 6, which is a recovery week, but with 3 rest days last week I'm counting that as my recovery week instead. I've another enforced rest day this week, so probably will be in the sixties.
    Poacher / OO - I had the same experience of no other runners in King's Lynn this morning ;)
    GM - nice controlled run. No parkrun planned at the moment unfortunately.
    Leslie - good plan for the time being.
    6 mile recovery run (avg pace 8:33/m) this morning. Finally got around to entering the Rother Valley marathon. 12 weeks on Saturday, I think.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Gerard - Great pic and what a story! Your going well at the moment, bodes well for the Marathon! Did you say you were thinking of doing Manchester next year? I think entries open again next month.

DT - Hopefully it was just the heat and not a bug, glad to see you are taking the positives though!

Gul - Great running as usual, I'd be surprised if you even saw any cars when you are out running!

On shoes I am currently rotating three pairs. Two pairs of Ultraboosts for easy/long runs and my On Cloud X's for tempos and sessions. Will run a long run in these soon though as I want to wear them for the marathon.

7 x mile reps off 60s static recovery last night. Legs weren't feeling particularly fresh so took a couple of reps to settle in. Times were 6.19, 6.14, 6.10, 6.06, 6.06, 6.00, 5.57. Average of 6.07, bang on 38 min 10k pace! Pleased to progress through and finish strong as that was my 5th day in a row of running. Rest day today

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Looking back those reps were 18s quicker then 4 weeks ago with an extra mile. Things are moving in the right direction!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    top class work there, Stevie - 7 x 1 mile is an extremely hard session, and to hit those times, and be so much quicker within 4 weeks, is very encouraging.  :)   

back to normality with a visit to the track myself last evening - just 4 x 800m , with jogging & strides either side for a 5 mile total.  Legs leaden this morning for a 6 mile jaunt.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good work, Stevie

DT
    - maybe you were a little dehydrated? I dry heave on some long runs and it seems to coincide with being dehydrated. It's happened a couple of times in the recent warm weather when I gag on saliva or whatever feels thick at the back of my throat. Hope it's a one-off, mate.

Mid 20 temps here again over the last couple of days. Did 5 miles on the trails on Monday but really could not be arsed to do another warm run yesterday, felt shattered. So, I binned the run and grabbed an early night.

Did an 8 miler tonight on the lumpier route and did hill attacks. First couple of splits were sub-7 so decided to keep that trend and work hard on the inclines. Got all splits under 7 to average 6.49. Glad I took the break yesterday, they say rest is an important part of training.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Cracking running lads! Stevie, I was thinking about Manc mara but nothing solid yet. Are you gonna do it? It's a fast course. 

Gul - Well in on the mara entry. Where is that one? Is it a good course??

Zero here today as I took a half day to take my son to a beach day with his footie team. The weather was a bit pants but the boys had a great time and managed to get in for a nice dip in the sea. I've been roped into doing the corporate cup 5k tomorrow on lunch. I don't like the course and have never run a great time on it, think 18:52 is my best but I'll give it a bash tomorrow but I really struggle to get into race mode during a lunch hour. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - fantastic mile reps and excellent progress. You are on top form. A few cars about at silly o'clock in the morning and one or two cyclists and pedestrians, but no runners for a few days now.
    Birch  - nice track session. If you're interested (or anyone else for that matter), I had an email from the organiser's of the Rother Valley marathon (cannonball events), with a code worth 10% off any of their events (excluding ultras) valid until the end of the month.
    GD - yes, sounds like the right decision, and rewarded with a good hill work session yesterday.
    GM - it's just south of Sheffield and I have it on good authority (i.e. Birch) that it is pretty flat with just one slight incline each lap of a 9 lap route. Good luck with the corporate cup; I would have thought your lunch time runs along the prom would stand you in good stead.
    I brought forward this week's long run (well, last week's actually) to this morning as I'm off down to Heathrow early on Saturday morning and have an LT run scheduled on Monday. No-one else in the house needed to be up early today, so it fitted in nicely with finishing a bit later than usual. However, I overslept by about half an hour, but set out with a mind to review the distance mid-run. Turned out that I had plenty of time as I did 18 miles @ 6:54 m/m (or 1 w/u @ 7:39 and 17 @ 6:51).
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

GM - I'm pretty tempted by Manchester as I'm assuming I wont get a London ballot place. Be a good opportunity to nail down a solid GFA time. I'm away over Christmas though so will have to work out if I can really commit to the training

Gul - That is an incredible long run, 17 at bang on sub 3 pace ;)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Cracking pace there Gul and congrats on the marathon entry- though I'm not sure where Rother Valley is?

Yes good effort after your rest GDawg, my next rest day is Monday before a club 10k Tuesday. I'm have a heavy week of long slow paced runs- should reach c60 miles. 

Manchester seems a good plan B Stevie- lots of good times there last year!

With 2 autumn maras (Jersey and NY) and 2 in the diary for next Spring (Seville and London) I've decided to pull the plug on a Boston GFA entry for 2019, and save it for 2020. The entry times are quite soft so I should be safe next year I hope.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Great reps, Stevie and great progress!! How long have you been following this system? Are you away for 2 months over Christmas or something? Coming straight off an Autumn mara which was straight off a spring mara, with some reasonable training in between you don't need to start dedicated mara training until mid January really. I started for London this year in first week of February having spent all of January injured and still made a decent go of it.

That's a big 17 there, Gul. You are definitely in great shape.

Hope the lunchtime race went well, Gerard?

Decent 8 miler, G-Dawg.

Birch, I do like running on the track, I just never seem to do it. When I do get too I always tell myself I must do it more.

I see that that prize scenario for local runners more and more regularly these days. I like the idea.

Took a rest day yesterday. Back to it today with 9 with 6 at planned mp over lunchtime. Cooler today which helped. Run came out 6.48mm for 158 hr. HR v pace i've had a few better runs on that course, however in terms of perceived effort, it was very low and comfortable. All 6 reps between 6.45 and 6.50mm which is my target pace range.

Wanting a 60 mile week this week as next week onwards i'm in a bit of a race/recover cycle over September. Therefore will run at recovery effort after work for a few miles to nudge the numbers up.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    DT - This is my 8th week of working with Lewis, so the improvements have been quite rapid. I am only away for a week at the end of November and a week at over Christmas so you are right. Considering I basically had May/June off this year with some consistent mileage after Abingdon a 14 week block will be more than enough. Good MP run and mileage. I love running on the track, I'd like to try racing on it soon. Will be something to consider when I eventually join a club
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    GM yes what a player. I used to cover Welsh footy from time to time so met him and others of that generation. John Hartson was always interesting to talk to, but Robbie Savage got most of the headlines.

Leslie - take the diving boots and lead ingots out of the backpack and you might be a little faster

Gul perhaps Lynn could twin with Kiev/StP?  Good to see that you have entered a mara. I gather it's a flat course (no pressure!). A potentially fast time awaits.

Stevie that is a top effort. Hate to say it but when I first (and last) went sub3 my key session was 4 x 1m @ about 6.08, with some 5.5Xs as a bonus nearer race day.  You are way faster than that. All to play for.

Manchester: done it 3 for the last 3 yrs, quite a fast course, a good place to go for it.

Pathetic running for me, although got in 51m road bike yesterday + 5m really crap running this morning. Nerve injury still not happy. Bah. 
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I’m rushing out so just a quick post to say I managed my first ever ‘triple double’ this week. That was 12.5+12.5 on Monday, 11+6 Tuesday and 11+5 Wednesday. Unsurprisingly my intervals this morning were a bit slower than last week. I did still manage 6:01 average, for 6x1 miles in a 12 mile run. I’m feeling great but glad it’s only an easy paced single run tomorrow.:)