P&D Autumn Marathon 2018

Comments

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Macca: what’s your 100 mile plan for 2018/19?

Think I’ll sign up for SDW100 and NDW100 and hope for the best. Gonna stick in a Western States ballot entry as well
  • 40 x 100, Reg. Oof. That sounds like some kind of birthday celebration some in our club do. Big one on the horizon?!

Hope things are improving, Steve. 

Chicksta there are certainly times, regularly, where I can’t do MP for 600m. A lot to be said for being rested, I guess. Great effort at the half. With those winning times it shows what a tough course it must be. Things should cool down from here on in and Berlin is certainly flat. Things looking good for you I reckon. 

Well done for toughing out the long run, Hazel. 

Perhaps the running break could be a real positive, Jooligan. My Strava feed is certainly busier now your back. Great day recently - good use of holidays! 

55 second lap, Scott. Wowsers. 

Very fair point, muddy. I will do it again, but sparingly. And I tend to do only two days of harder running a week, which seems to go well with recovery. Certainly knackered for a few days since! Excellent week from you. 

Nonstick. I think current pace, but hope it’s not too far away. Agreed with Jools’ advice. Got to think about the bigger training picture as well. 

Good parkrun Joe. Don’t suppose IM training is that closely matched to a Scott-like kick!

Sounds like great training, JohnOz. Freestyling. Much like me really, but loosely following BAC sessions. The biggest is 30 min MP, 4 x 5 hard, 30 mins MP. Bosh. 

AWC definitely sold on the ultras then!

Arrived in Carbis Bay yesterday for a four night stay. Up early this morning to get the only session of the holiday in. A bit caught out by the light - is Cornwall on a different time zone? Had to use my phone torch on the SW Coast Path initially. After a few miles, found Cornwall’s seemingly sole bit flat road which was almost perfect for the session, although I did have to turn around each rep. 10 x 5 mins at MP with a 1 min break. Just focused on the right effort and didn’t look at pace until my return. Pleasing to see close to MP for the vast majority. Hell of a climb back home! Will keep the rest of the running this week as easy exploring. 

• Morning all.

SQ - Sounds like a decent session and one I might borrow.  Enjoy the rest of the holiday, didn't fancy a hill session though ??

AWC - I've got the A100 in Oct, WW50 in Nov, next year just TP100 atm.  I'll enter SDW100 and I want to make a better fist of Lakeland 100 which unfortunately clashes with NDW100.  Mulling over entering UTMB and WSER, obviously hoping not to get in both in the same year.  Logistics, cost and potential enjoyment / suffering ratio are making me think twice though.

Almost forgot, a local 12hr endurance run in just under 2 weeks.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    SQ: definitely sold on them but I do find the P&D schedule for a marathon is then a great base to go into ultra training with. I like the variety of road running and trail running.

Scott: with the baby arriving next month I don't have any big targets now. I've entered the Overton 5 mile race which is in 2 weeks. I'll probably do Southampton Marathon next April as a build up to the summer ultras but might just do a 12 week P&D plan for that as I can't see me doing an 18w one beginning in December.

Macca: I'm only entering WSER to get my lottery place going as they reckon its about 5/6 years on average to get selected. Ideally I'd like to do it in 3-4yrs time. I'd definitely like to have a go at Lakeland100 before.
  • Not too long until the taper now Chicksta.  The last few weeks have gone past so quickly.  Good your legs have recovered well from the half.  I had Monday evening legs rather than Tuesday legs or rather actually a pain-in-the-arse - otherwise known as sore glutes - from the final downhill km on Sunday.  Better than sore knees though.

Good luck for a 1500m PB tomorrow Scott.

Nice ultra planning going on by AWC and macca.

Enjoy your break in Cornwall SQ.  

7.5 miles (or as good as - 12km) recovery with 6 x strides this morning.  After Sunday's hills the gentle jog back up the hill towards home seemed like nothing. 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Congrats on finding a flat bit of road in Cornwall, SQ :D. We used to stay at a B&B at the bottom of a road with a 25% incline. Even the car was struggling ;) Great MP sesh.

Too many races with "100" in them, AWC and Macca :o

Best of luck in the 1500, Scott

A sore behind is definitely better than sore knees, Hazel ;)

15 mile MLR done today. I rearranged my week as today's weather was just perfect for once. That's the last of the "long" MLRs which means the taper is imminent. OMG!
  • Muddy - it was a marathon but who's paying attention to the finer details  ;) :D 

Hazel - those hill races do seem fairly brutal!

SQ - cracking holiday session. Horrible to think that the darkness is returning.. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Macca - as always, not much on the horizon then.

Chick - always great to get that last MLR done. Roll on the taper..

I've got a run to talk about for once. First proper track session back in my 7 week training block followed by a 1 week taper. Session was 3 miles, 2 miles, 1 mile with 90 seconds recovery in between. Pace alternates between target ironman marathon pace & '10km' pace.

6:37, 5:37, 6:36, 5:33, 5:39, 5:35 for the mile splits.

10km pace miles were definitely harder than 10km pace. Worked really hard + enjoyed it. 
  • NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jooligan and Joe Blogs-BR, just got a bit carried away, I did take the first mile slow in my defence. Also heart rate is based off my Garmin 235 heart rate sensor and I know the wrist based ones are not very accurate. Also, not done a race for over a year (very unusual for me) so difficult to compare effort.

Scott Pulley, thanks, I am getting faster all the time, as mostly a 10k runner, I find it difficult to gage mp race pace, the 16 miles run felt easy but what would that feel like after 26.2? Done one 20 but slow, think there are 3 more before race day so maybe I'll work it out

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Not even a parkrun Nonstick?
    I’ve not raced in over 6 weeks (other than Parkrun) & won’t be til next month but can’t imagine not racing for over a year!
    Ambitious plans from the Ultra duo & good mileage/sessions from the usual suspects. You both look to be in promising form Hazel & Chicksta
    Just a gentle bike ride to return an MTB I borrowed a while ago then ran back: 8.5M of hilly trails. Shied away from the club hill rep session.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

I was away for 4 days over the weekend and now have heaps to catch up on.

SQ - good point about having the iron checked again. Will have to book in with the GP. Much to my wife's disgust, I bought some pork liver yesterday as the pack said that 100g has over 1000% of your RDI. I'm getting more iron in my diet but not much heme iron so thought the liver might help. Still feeling a bit run down but I think it could just be lack of sleep and busy at work. 

Reg - I don't mind a bit of swimming talk but any mention of wet suits is a definite yellow card.

Very light week last week, but back today with a decent Mona Fartlek. Managed 5.9km for the 20 min which is decent considering it wasn't on the track.

• Very solid MF there, HA. My wife is not a fan of me cooking lambs’ livers, but I’ve got into them over the last year. Nice with scrambled eggs, or chopped into mince. Works a treat for me wen cooking a veggie chilli for the family. 

Rapid paces, Joe. We’re they wig the HR recovery again?

Agreed with you AWC about variety. 

I thought about 10 x 5 mins uphill, Macca, but thought it might lead to too much recovery for the desired near continuous style session. 

10M on an out and back route on the SWCP to St Ives this morning. 9:20 m/m for standard easy effort - shows how tough the path is - despite a reasonable amount being tarmac. Beaches beautiful but very hard work. Open cliff paths my favourite. White wine and mussels tonight - good times. 

• *when *were *with

Must learn to proofread 
  • A few weeks ticking over won't do any harm Macca, got to have some down time in the year. 

Good to see you're still managing to get out whilst away SQ

Ah yes completely forgot about the upcoming arrival AWC, that will no doubt be more knackeing than the running!

Enjoy the taper chicksta

Solid track session Joe - I really did love the picture of you and Katie on Strava

Sounds a decent fartlek HA

Well I couldn't have ended track season any better last night. 6 second PB of 4:07:89, was ecstatic. Splits were 69/ 2:13 and 3:01 through the bell. The desire not to be chicked by Katie Snowden in the last 100m who was in front drove me on. 30 mins spin at the gym today and now to enjoy a week off. Can't wait to see what I can do next year with an injury free winter in my legs :) Also managed to pick up some adidas XC spikes for £40 on a stand at the track, bargain! New Garmin Forerunner 220 arrived as well so looking forward using that in a couple of weeks

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Boom, Scott - very well done! Final the result you deserve :+1:

HA: Good job you like liver :s  I have to resort to iron pills. You may also want to have your absorption checked. Some people can't metabolise iron properly and have to get injections.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice one Scott, top reward for a good season of training. Hopefully you can build on that over winter & annihilate those times next season. Do you ever race indoors?
    Chicksta/HA/SQ
    Iron absorption: from what I've read vitamin C makes it more bioavailable (might just be from plants) & avoiding Calcium when consuming Iron enhances absorption rates as they both use the same pathways. Also heard a thing (Inside Health?) on Radio 4 a few months back which discussed Iron. Apparently your body absorbs it better if you only have the supplements every 2-3 days. Anyone else catch that episode?
    Another hilly 10K for me today.
    That's an 8 day streak now :o I only managed 13/27 days whilst away so definite improvement. Not sure what I've done or why but I've secured an entry for Snowdonia Marathon too - just 6 days after Abo  :D
    In other news I spent an enjoyable afternoon yesterday catching up with my daughter, who's just got back from a month of trains & cities in Europe. We were able to celebrate her cracking A Level results too :)
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Jools: great news on your daughter's A-Level results! 2 marathons in 6 days - I'm sure your body is well capable of that.

Chicksta/Hazel: good luck with the taper guys - some good training gone into this block so fingers crossed for a great race day. Are there any big elites doing Berlin this year - it was very wet last year when Kipchoge went for the WR but I've not seen much hype about it this year.

Scott: fantastic way to end the season. An injury free winter should have you in fine shape for 2019's racing. Always nice to get some new kit as well - I bought myself 2 new pairs of trainers last week as it was BOGOF at Alton Sports.

SQ: glad to hear you are making the most of the SWCP, its one of my favorite trails. Some stunning scenery (and hills!)

Joe: cracking track session - loved the Strava photo afterwards!

HA: nice Mona Fartlek - I quite enjoy those sessions as they are bit bit different to the normal interval/LT stuff. Good luck with sorting out the iron problems

Back at RunCamp this morning for some strength and conditioning - felt pretty good to be doing some kettlebells and squats again with a bit of running sprinkled in.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    What a great result, Scott and a cracking way to round off the season. Do you XC in the winter? Enjoy a break either way. 

HA, I believe caffeine is also an enormous inhibiter as well - so no tea with supplements! 

Jooligan great to see you back into it. Congratulations also to your daughter. Racking up some altitude pre-Snowdonia. I’ve also entered the six day Abo-Snod Classic. Will definitely aim for Abo. Undecided on Snod. Great fun, but a little worried about the effects of running it only 6 days later. Although in someways, it’s less disruptive than say three weeks later, when the whole recovery, taper business takes so long. 

How is spoons doing? Hope there’s been some improvement. 

Good to see youre back at run camp, AWC. It seems to have really help you have a great year. 

8.5M easy with a few strides. So hard to avoid Hill! So just embracing them. Gives me a lot more respect for actually racing something like a coastal marathon. And steps - there are the worst!
  • Lots of great training going on, great work all.

Congrats on the PBs Scott.

You seem to have recovered well from the IM and the crash Joe. Bodes well for Kona!

Sounds like a fun summer Jooligan!

You’re putting in some great, consistent training SQ. Don’t worry about the pace on that 3x15 session. When I did that one before Manchester I couldn’t get below 6:20/mi, and it felt closer to LT than MP. Trust the process!

Jakob Ingebrigtsen was quite something at the Euros wasn’t he! Just hope he doesn’t burn out before he even becomes a senior…

I’m still struggling with PF. It’s getting better, but a lot slower that I’d like. Still, no point rushing back to things - Frankfurt is a write off PB wise now so I just need to concentrate on getting it sorted. All very frustrating, but just trying to think long term. I’ve been doing more cycling to hopefully keep some fitness, but I find it a struggle motivation wise. I’ve started an “FTP builder” plan on Zwift to try and help that, I seem to work best when I have some structure. 

I’m hoping I might be able to ease back in to running next week if things continue to improve…

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Spoons: sorry to hear you are still struggling with PF. Hope it clears up soon.

SQ: steps really are pretty bad - I had hundreds in my ultra, lots in the last quarter of the race. Definitely something I need to work on improving.

Just a 4 mile recovery today - everything feels sore after RunCamp yesterday, especially my glutes which took a pounding. Going down to the seaside tomorrow to do Lee-On-Solent parkrun and then taking Sophie to Winchester junior parkrun on Sunday.
  • Spoons - hope to see you recovered soon!
    SQ - Enjoy your holiday!
    AWC & Macca - Some nice ultra planning there!
    John - Nice 22 miler
    Chicksta - Nice HM, sounds like a tough course!
    Joe - Finding the turbo better than I expected actually. Hadn't used my bike for 8 years, so wasn't sure how I would find cycling indoors, but I stick some music on and spin the legs!

Week 5 of no running and 3 weeks of cycling. Two 60 minute sessions this week with 90 minutes planned for Saturday. Aiming to have another week of no running then I'll try a short run to see how the tendon is, if all goes well I'll ease back in slowly. Plan to is ease back in then follow a P&L plan for a 10k race early next year, which I'll start training for in November. Might leave some cycling in while training, but will see how things go.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Good to hear from those benched, Spoons & SteveM, though sorry it's not better news. Good you're both cycling, take heart from Reg's phenomenal running performances which appear to have been achieved mainly off huge bike fitness. JB had a pretty good running year in 2017 in spite of a heavy bike focus IIRC.
    Talking of cycling I decided I'd have another crack at a 10M TT last night even though I've been struggling on/after runs since my bonk at the w/e. I've only ever done one before, 3 years ago on a rough, undulating & twisty road along the Wye with the turn being round a cone in the road. I did 28:10 then so I was hoping for an improvement on this course which was along a dual carriageway with the turn around being a roundabout. As I drove over the wind, already blowy, picked up strongly & the heavens opened. The signs weren't great but I'd committed by now & this was the last of the season so it was now or never. Fortunately as I drew closer the blue skies behind revealed it was just a passing shower & by the time I registered the rain had stopped, the skies cleared and the wind had returned to breezy leaving a beautiful evening for it. I was 11th of 13 to start & was fairly sure I'd be last in looking at the others with their TT bikes, disc wheels, aero helmets & fancy overshoes but they seemed a friendly enough lot so who cares.
    The start was almost 4M from registration so a good warm-up. The start is in a lay by on the A40 between Abergavenny & Raglan. We were pushed off at 1 minute intervals with the sun & breeze at our backs but a very gently undulating uphill first half. Shortly before the halfway roundabout I was overtaken by No13 who was absolutely flying then No12 came past too so I now knew I'd be last in. Carried on pushing hard though & after slowing slightly for the roundabout I pushed hard into the breeze but ever so slightly downhill knowing the pain was going to be over soon. I passed the finish line in 25:29 so a massive PB. Span the legs back to the car for a nice cool down before heading home for tea. A welcome return to racing which was apparently just what my body craved since today's 10K was my best since the first one back. Felt bouncy from the moment I pushed off so ran hard the whole way. Felt so much better in the cooler, less humid conditions. HR was up at race levels but felt OK, if a little tired, once I'd finished unlike the last couple of days. Weighed myself before & after too: lost 1.7kg!! Reckon I've been dehydrated the last few days as I was sweating even more then. Off to another festival now though of course I'll be visiting another parkrun too: Newbury :)

PS SQ you know you've got to do both. PB at Abo then jog Snowdonia with me.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Nice one, Jools. So the festival diet and the booze haven't done any harm. Interesting about iron intake only every couple of days. I'm only taking mine every third day so my doctor must have listened to that episode on Radio 4 :)
    Congrats to your daughter for smashing her A levels.

Good to hear from Spoons and Steve. You're both amazingly patient with those injuries.

Today was the 6 x 1k rep session. I cheated and did them in the gym on the TM :D Started slow (4:15) and finished fast (4:00). So much easier to do on the treadie than on the road where I usually throw in 2 ludicrously fast reps and then die on my arse. Recoveries were 200m jogs.

Enjoy your bank holiday weekend.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Solid session chicksta

Great racing Jools. Cheers for the iron advice. I've been having my standard porridge and a couple of cups of tea in the morning but avoiding dairy and caffeine after that.

Awesome PB Scott, really impressive end to the season.

Sounds like sensible plans Spoon and Steve. Hope you're back soon.

Good holiday running SQ and good to see the RunCamp session make a return AWC.

Got out for a bit over 19 miles today and went well. Kept it pretty steady and put in a bit of a fast finish over some of the last hill, averaged about 6:35/mile.
  • Excellent advice from spoons - trust the process. Must remember marathon training is about the long game! Well done for being so patient and hope the recovery continues. Let me know if you fancy a recovery run once school’s back in session. 

Steve - great to hear P&L getting another shout! I was a big fan following this prior to Wokingham Half. 

Jooligan very solid TT effort there. Wearing a tight cycling top would give you 30s easy! Great you’ve secured places for both marathons. I’ve got until the end of Sept to decide about Snod. 

Great reps, Chicksta. Nothing wrong with a dreadmill every now and then. 

Very fast long run, HA. Great stuff. 

Gave parkrun the full beans today, finishing in 8th and 18:10. A couple of seconds off a course PB, but happy enough in the context of pretty heavy training. I ran from home, 4M, which is probably more than an optimal warm up. Then ‘funnel managed’ straight after finishing, using my best teacher voice. Jog home via trying on my club’s new racing vest. Caught in two minds between M and S. Hopefully motivation to get nearer racing weight! So, a surprising 11ish miles this morning. Planning on going very long in the morning...

• Great work on your 1500 PB Scott.  

Nice track session Joe.

Good parkrunning SQ.  Have a good long run tomorrow.  

Well done on the Mona Fartlek and the long run HA.    

Well done to your daughter on her A-levels Jools and your TT PB.   

Sorry to hear about the ongoing PF spoons.  I hope you can get back to running as of next week.   

Sensible plan Steve.  

Good intervalls on the TM chicksta.  

Ouch to the post RunCamp soreness AWC.  

I'm steadily working through this last big week before the taper.  Intervalls on Wednesday (5x1200m), an MLR yesterday and a short recovery today to report from the last few days.  Last pre mara 20 mile (+) long run tomorrow, will be a bit of a shock if it is only 8 degrees in the morning. 
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Morning all - the weeks are flying by, is it already taper time?!

Chicksta - TM speedwork is a great idea, makes sure you get exactly the right training benefit. Speedy rep session as well off short recoveries, the last ones no doubt felt easier than the first once you’d warmed up. 

HA77 - looks like you are well and truly back on form, 6:35s for 19 miles is amazing. Any races on the horizon to test out the fitness?

Congrats Scott on going out with a bang, great way to finish off the season, that’s a huge PB. What’s next?

Jools - well done to your daughter on the A levels, I distantly remember getting mine and celebrating with a quiet family dinner, am sure it’s a bit more lively these days! Congrats on the TT as well. 

Looks like amazing running down there SQ, all useful strength work. Go for the sleek look with an S. 

Hazel - you seem to have followed P&D pretty closely so must be in good shape for Berlin. Almost there!

Joe - great sessions ramping up for the big one. 

Spoons - sorry to hear of the PF but am sure the rest will fix it properly amd stop it coming back. How are you going to approach Frankfurt now?

Steve - hope your recovery goes well also. Good luck with P&L, am thinking of trying it so look forward to hearing how you go. 

Another improvised week for me, highlights being 2x5k@LT that came in 19:49 & 19:44, and today was almost 23M with 2 hours progressive and then banging out a 10k tempo in just over 41 mins. Wasn’t trashed at the end so very happy to have kept the speed endurance.

Enjoy the bank holiday, I have to wait another 5 weeks down here in Oz.  

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    SQ: Brilliant parkrun. Hope your long run went well. Very long sounds a bit intriguing ....

Fast 19, HA.

Very impressive sessions, JohnOz.

We're nearly there, Hazel :)
    Another solid week from you. I love the cooler temps. They make me so much quicker. Did another 22 today giving me over 70 for the week. Ready to cut back now.
  • Two very good runs by you John.

Last 22 miler for me too today chicksta and I would agree with the looking forward to cutting back now.  Was pleased to finish that in 3:17 on tired but not exhausted legs.  To mix things up a bit I tried to put in 3 x 5km at mara pace + 10 % and stick to mara pace + 20 % for the rest but as usual pacing was a bit haphazard.   By the time I got out it was sunny but the cool wind was quite refreshing.  
  • Won't be racing indoors Jools, did mention it to the coach but he correctly pointed out that I'd have to do the specific track sesisons alone (as no one else would be targeting it) and in the wind/rain, so quickly changed my mind

SQ - yes will be doing a couple of 10kms and the local XC league races. Hopefully the hills haven't completely destroyed your legs.

John I think the first 'race' will pobably be a parkrun before the first league XC on the 14th October

Fingers crossed the sensible long term thinking approach will get you back to it soon Spoons

Hope the ease back into running goes well Steve

Nice bike time trial Jools

This post could go on forever with so much great running over the weekend  :)

No running for me since Wednesday, couple of nights out Thurs/Sat so been enjoying myself before the hard work starts again on Wednesday

• Great long runs again Chicksta and Hazel. I am grouping you together because you seem to running parallel sessions.

Congratulations on the pb Scott, and such speed to add endurance to over the autumn/winter.

Macca - Best of luck with varying the training and getting in on the GFA. I’ve also entered London via GFA.

Sensational training John. What’s the goal ?

Nice parkrun SQ. I’ve never been to Cornwall, but I’m sold now I know there’s a flat bit. How did you get on your parkrun AWC ?

That’s a very good long run HA, good to see. Recovery ok ?

Hope you can get back up and running soon RSR though I know PF can be a bugger to shift. Fingers crossed. Good luck vibes to Steve too.

I’m a big fan of the half mara executed at marathon pace, but know it to be a tough session, so my week was all about sparing myself for that. So loads of easy running through the week, then a bit of pre-fatigue with a parkrun at threshold over a hilly course on Saturday am (19.02). I had around 40 miles up on the clock for the week and around 19-20 was the aim for Sunday, sandwiched around the Severn Bridge Half.

Well, as everyone is likely aware, it was really wet yesterday. But cool. The body glide did the trick - I suffered no chafing. My laces stayed tied throughout and I managed 1.24.06 on chip for 6.22 min/mile pace and a few beats under normal marathon heart rate. It was a fairly undulating course, as you may imagine with a bridge crossing involved, and a very steep climb around 7-8 miles, so I came away happy with that as an indicator of improving fitness. I managed 3m of cooldown while absolutely drenched to make up some miles towards the aim of 20. However I was pretty tired and just got fed up of splashing through puddles and retired to the event finish to wait for clubmates under cover of a tent.

I’ve also got an (undulating) half entry for next Sunday, which I was going to make a long run sandwich with thicker slices, and run the same session, but perhaps aim for a progressive element over the last three miles. Then the following week I have an entry to a (flat) half that I would like to race.

How do people feel about racing a half two weeks out ? I’m not dealing with any niggles at the moment and it feels doable. I will take a good volume but low intensity week ahead of it. l see it as a very decent last dose of training effect - I’m taking a fairly sharp taper over 2 weeks due to not really being able to do that much through June/July.