Protein Powder

2»

Comments

• Eat more dairy, more eggs, more chicken and more fish. There is no need for protein powder supplements. Most protein powders are poor quality, full of sugar/artificial sugars and chemicals and they taste horrible.
  • Definitely recommend protein powder if you are taking running/training seriously. Post run, your muscles will soak up that stuff to aid with recovery and growth. Yes, you can get a lot of protein via food sources, but sometimes you need more than what you will solely get via 3-4 meals a day. And this is what supplements are for. Whey protein is always a winner, as it's aborbed quickly and easily by the bloodstream. Ideal for post workout.
    PB's:

10K: 00:46:18
    Half Marathon: 01:33:42
    Full Marathon: 03:37:21

I adore metal music. And running. Preferably at the same time.
  • I have a whey protein shake the afternoon of my run. Possible placebo thing.
  • I prefer to have a proper meal rather than a protein shake. Also you need more carbohydrates than protein. But I guess that you can use it as an increment of your diet.
  • I use whey protein after a workout, its a quick and easy way to get protein but I also eat plenty of protein anyway. I also throw in a couple of raw eggs and a banana. I personally use bulk powders caramel flavour.
  • I just plan on eating more protein rich foods, maybe in time if I'm not reaching the target amount then I will think about the protein supplements
  • When I trained for my first marathon I just drank some chocolate milk and ate a chicken sandwich after a really long run. After a medium run I’d just have a bowl of muesli with some chopped almonds and bananas on top.
  • Always get protein after workout dude!
  • I have used phd diet wheyba lot and found it very good for recovery and weight control, nice flavours to
  • I have now ditched the whey and gone onto leucine powder, this is the protein that triggers the recovery. The rest you can get from food. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Good to see the people marketing protein powders are doing a good job. I've attached something I found on Kenyan runners' diets. I've posted it before but think it's worth seeing again. These are guys probably running sub 2:15 marathons, doing well over 100 miles per week. They don't use any protein supplements and have very little meat in their diet and people think they need protein powder jogging 40 miles a week.
  • RhianWRhianW ✭✭
    Should easily be able to get enough protein from your diet. It is the BCAAs that help with recovery, but people tend to go overboard and take a BCAA supplement on top of a protein supplement. I used to do that, but stopped. Firstly it cost me too much, and secondly, I realised after some research that I did not need it!
  • Extra protein - it all depends on what you want to do with your body, and how you want to look... if you want to keep/build muscle, then protein helps keep muscle mass....so extra protein will help.

If you want to slim down, and just run and are not worried about looking like a bodybuilder then a normal diet should be fine.

Don't forget excessive running will burn of muscle mass unless you take in enough protein... but protein shakes carry calories,, so watch out..you could end up putting on weight... 

• I've been running for 4 years, I run 5-10k every day and I've realized that taking extra protein is really important, for me, it works really well! I take sunestron supplement after my every day run and It helps me a lot to recover and to get energy.
  • > @jordenwood said:
    > hi guys, my body really aches after running, my friend says i could probably drink protein drinks after working out, does anybody else ave these and do they seem to help? also what brand? My friend says psn diet whey is best value for money but ive never had any.
    >
    > help please!
    >
    > thanks,

i recommend you to buy Optimum Nutrition’s Gold Standard
  • I take whey protein before a run instead of a meal and its made a massive difference to how i feel. Not being bloated for one and also not hungry. 
  • BCAA really helps in faster boost than eating meals. Really helpful in Trans4orm body energy.
    We provide Various Workout Supplements and more. Visit our Home Page/Website Link below for more details.

URL: https://www.evlnutrition.com/products/trans4orm?variant=3134095235
  • Hi all,

I hope this is the right thread to post this on!
    I'm pretty new here, I've been training for about a year now and would like to start going further distances.

I'm thinking about adding a protein powder to a few of my meals (post run).
    Are their any protein powder brands anyone could recommend for a first try? I know I can get a lot of protein from my diet, but I'd just like some other options.

Many thanks,

Rose.
  • Hi Rose, I personally use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey. I find that it is low in rubbish, but a good quality product.
  • I know that this is an older thread, but I can vouch for the Optimum Nutrition also referred to as ON.

If you are looking for light recovery but more meal replacement then a Whey protein is the way forward.

However for recovery of the muscles from a perspective of training, I’d opt for a night time Casein protein.
    I used to either have it with Ice cold milk just before bed, or mix it up and freeze for around two hours in a small shaker. It was then almost like an ice cream, that I could use to enjoy as an evening snack.

The ON casein protein was very good for this.

BodybuildingWarehouse do good price on their own proteins.

Syntha6 is by far the best tasting protein I’ve had over the years, but it’s also quite high in sugars. (Probably why it tastes so good)

Most of the off the shelf proteins in gyms that are much cheaper, will be due to the sugar or sweetness in them, making them taste nice, but impacting any weight loss you were hoping for by using it as a meal replacement.

A good diet should negate the need for the whey protein shakes. But there is a ease of meal from them. I’d have one post morning gym session, whilst in my car. Add some porridge oats, protein powder, and water. Let it soak in and then drink it on my way to work.
  • If you don't eat enough and don't let your body recover and rest, then I think protein will help you get rid of muscle pain and so on. And if you eat well and you have a great diet, then I don't think protein will somehow save you from pain.
  • > @MuddyWaters1 said:
    > If you don't eat enough and don't let your body recover and rest, then I think protein will help you get rid of muscle pain and so on. And if you eat well and you have a great diet, then I don't think protein will somehow save you from pain.

If you don't eat enough and don't let your body recover and rest, then I think protein will help you get rid of muscle pain and so on. And if you eat well and you have a great diet, then I don't think protein will somehow save you from pain. Also, I need to know what kind of pain you have. After training the next day, or during training? If after training, it is better to buy BCAA - these amino acids help muscles recover after training. By the way, they help me cope with the pain after training sarms, which I recently learned about after I went to our local sports store and saw the sign "Sarms for Sale." ( https://paradigmpeptides.com/product-category/sarms/)
  • As others seem to be saying (I only read a few) protein shakes will have no impact on joints, they’re just for replacing used nutrients. Look elsewhere for a solution…
  • I've been using energy supplements to help with my recovery. Does that help anyone else?
  • 8ace8ace ✭✭
    Sis rego rapid recovery after long runs, electrolytes before and during(if needed)
  • I found this new book on Running Supplements, very useful read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C18Z5GXC