Comrades 2019

Comments

• I was TIRED yesterday: UK TRAIL Running Championship (ultra distance).
  • Lowrez - well done on the run.  You still did 54 miles. Not exactly a walk in the park and I think one of the most difficult things for runners is knowing when to stop

Bike It - well done. Steady is the way to go

Debra - Well done on your ultra. Sounds like you had a great weekend
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Love this picture - my support team snapped it - I'm completing the tradition although I didn't run the miles; heel went in the Irish Sea at the start (almost along with the rest of me as I slipped on green algae - ha ha), toe goes in the North Sea on this side.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Well done Debra - we need pictures of bling!!!

Bike IT - great to hear you are back on the road - here we go! I would gladly contribute to a struggling local runner entry scheme as part of my international entry.

RR - are you there yet? Pictures please!

Thanks for the positive comments everyone - in a bravado of self diagnosis I am declaring I have dead glute syndrome - a leg is a heavy burden to lift if the other muscles are asked to continually do that over 12 hours of ultra running. The symptoms seem consistent with that; a gradual degradation in my ability to lift the left leg, consistently foot strike, leading to the toe nose diving, the calf going into spasm, the soleus curling up like newspaper burning, other upper leg and butt muscles crying for me to stop and ultimately the mile rate dropping to zero with those symptoms even being present whilst trying to power walk... so I am going to look for one of Kim Kardashian's workouts in a typical 1owrez attempt to overcompensate - sorry if I consequently break the Internet!

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else done the survey? Was there anywhere on it to say anything free format? If there was I didn't notice it, so I have just e-mailed info giving them some proper feedback... I've possibly been so frank that I may be asked not to submit an entry for 2019 - ha ha - clicking a radio button that says "needs improvement" was totally inadequate compared to what I really had to say though!
  • RR - hope all goes well today

Lowrez - I think you need a proper diagnosis and "repair" programme. Of course you'll get a different diagnosis for every person you visit :)

I too filled out the survey and was extremely disappointed when I had suddenly finished it without being given a chance to say anything that would help them. Good idea to email. Think I'll do that. My only gripe was the non inclusive international ending.
  • RR: good luck!

lowrez, Southern Snail, what are they asking about? I hate going into a survey not knowing what the questions are going to be about, how many questions (one screen? Three? ten?)/ how long it's likely to take.

lowrez, I will try to take and post pics of the bling at lunchtime.

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    The survey doesn't take that long Debra, as it's is mostly just questions with 5 possible responses and those that don't apply (a lot in my case) can be skipped.  It took me about 2 minutes.  There is a space to write in up to three items of tat you would like to see at the memorabilia store but that's about the only place for extra comment.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Get yer legs out RR! Can we track you?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Yep, all they want to know is how many tankards you want to buy

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Darn it SS? See a professional? :(

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Might be the way to go Lowrez to fix your biomechanics.  Bike It went back to basics and seems to be making a good recovery.  You did top the Strava leaderboard last week!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yes I was pleased to see that Mac :) only scraped in on some categories "1owrez style" though... well, a physio did diagnose this thing very briefly after a half marathon a few months back... I have ignored it since... but it ain't going away... pretty sure I know what to do myself to have a go at fixing it... I will go see someone again if I can't address and progress it myself.
  • Becca: thanks. I wish I could buy a Comrades Buff online - I didn't get one at the expo, regretted it almost immediately, and now they don't seem to have them in the store - which is silly, because they would post easily! What's the generic term for Buff anyway?

lowrez, you may need help - don't leave it too long. But you do need to find a physio you can trust - I lost six weeks of training due to the physio who said I had Morton's neuroma, when I had cuboid syndrome - which is much rarer, but I pretty much self diagnosed it after much searching online, and a good physio agreed the symptoms matched, gave appropriate treatment and sorted it 95% in one session!
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Apparently the generic term for Buff is 'Multi-function head wrap'
    http://comrades.skiptheq.co.za/comrades-buff.html

• lowrez, here's the bling, as requested. Soryy but it keeps turning it sideways!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Those are mighty solid pieces of iron Debra! Very nice :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Any news on RR?

• lowrez, how did you DO that? And thanks - and thanks to everyone who has said well done (apologies for not responding earlier - combination of tiredness and work deadlines).
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

This "new" bulletin board is sh*te isn't it? I even went over to Vanilla the other day to tell them how bad: https://vanillaforums.com/en/software/ this is in stark contrast to other implementations that are fantastic: https://vanillaforums.com/en/showcase/ whoever did runner's world wants their arse spanking. They don't care how bad it is either, there don't appear to be any admins and no one policing this anymore. They've just chucked it in and thrown away the key and left us to struggle with it - SHAME ON YOU HEARST MAGAZINES UK

I'm not certain how I did that Debra, I saved it locally here and it was the wrong way around, so I rotated it, and it seemed pretty broad, so I cropped it, when I tried to re-load it, the system went through the motions of doing it, even to the point of showing a line across the page as if it was nearly there, and then it would sort of "sigh" like it was all too much effort and give up and nothing was there. I then re-saved the picture as png assuming there was something wrong with the jpg, same symptoms though, I logged off and back on, always a good IT technique, but it did the same, finally, before loading the image I added a blank line to the post and then added the image and it loaded, the right way around, I then deleted the blank line and hit post. It never twisted it back, simply loaded the right way around for me.

• lowrez: oh well! Thanks again - looks better that way up. :smile:
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Some great running Lowrez and Debra.  Nice bling Debra (well rotated by Lowrez!). I've also read your result Lowrez - nothing too be too disappointed about at all - that was still a pretty good performance over that distance and terrain. I hope you resolve all the muscle issues soon.  Don't be like me on some previous occasions when I delayed seeking professional help for too long.
    Where is RR? Okay I hope.
  • Bike It: thanks - for some reason it wasn't showing me half the items last time I looked.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

I think I might have spotted a rodent!!!!! What an amazing athlete! Well done RR!

• Congratulations to RR

Lowrez - how on earth do you manage to spot people in these photos. I guess if you know the time it helps.
  • Possibly the only Scottish flag flying in The Alps :)
  • great capyure Lowrez

I am now in chester marathon and so hopefully will qualify,,,,,for a race I still cant enter  

• Wow! Well done RR! (And well done lowrez spotting her, flag or no flag).
  • anyone got a link for ordering the comrades wall plaques