Swansea half marathon June 2019.

Hey guys,

So I decided a few months ago that I would be ongoing raising money for MIND the mental health charity. I created an 11 V 11 charity football match which was amazing and we raised in the region of £600. I have saw on MIND's website a half marathon on June 23rd 2019 (the day after I turn 30) which is why I picked this one. Plus it gives me around 6-8 months to train for it.

I only do a couple of 3 to 5K runs a week is this achievable? I am not overly concerned on times.

Comments

• Sure it is. Though, I'd suggest you to pick a half marathon training plan and stick to it. Plus, you may want to run more often and increase mileage.

I'm sure you got it, keep going!
    <iframe height='454' width='300' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='https://www.strava.com/athletes/2146088/latest-rides/2d71f42475017af06c1303352d135dcd4026aab0'></iframe>
  • Yes, that's plenty of time to train for a half. Good luck and enjoy the process.
  • I've only just done my first 10km and boy am I slow, but even I think you'd be fine with that much time! Good luck :)
  • Grace71Grace71 ✭✭
    Hi. My name is Grace. I am new here. I am going to do Swansea half too. I have been training since January, from there i have managed to run around 6-7 miles. But this past few weeks i am not be able to run further as my knee keep gave away. I dont have arthritis and i have used the foaming roler, but i still not be able to run more than 1.5 miles since then. Would anyone help to advice me what should i do to fix it as i am worry i won't be able to make it? Please. Thank you
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi Grace - I'd suggest a visit to a physio. They'd be able to do a proper assessment of what the problem may be and give the appropriate advice as to any exercises you need to do to help your recovery. Good luck.
  • Grace71Grace71 ✭✭
    Hi Guarddog. Thank you for your advice. I am seeing them tomorrow, and i crossed all my fingers and toes for the outcome. This situation start it to make me frustrated and apprehensive whether i can do the HM incoming. Thank you.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    I think we all have experiences of the frustration involved in entering a race, setting out the training plan and getting started and then something happens. A few years ago I entered my home half marathon. It was going to be my second half and having learnt from the mistakes I made on my first I put in all the appropriate training.

Two weeks before I was doing a long slow run just before going in to taper. After a mile I felt my calf start to ache, but rather than pull up I decided to run on. Another mile and it went. Needless to say I couldn't do the half. I was so annoyed (mainly with myself) I couldn't even go to watch it.

You're absolutely doing the right thing in seeing a physio. Hopefully they'll sort things out, but listen to your body as well and remember there's always another event around the corner  :)
  • Grace71Grace71 ✭✭
    Thank you Guarddog. I have seen the sport therapist the other day, he suspected a torn meniscus. With my situation it caused of my very flat feet and knee caps in wrong position, or something like that. He suggested to use patella tendon strap and arch support, also Glucosamine Sulphate. And resting for two weeks. I hope i can make it, but if i don't as you said, always another event around the corner. Thank you.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Well hopefully if it's only 2 weeks of rest then you won't lose anything in terms of fitness and you can still make it  :)