Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sniffing back through some of the Podium races, I noticed a V55 had done a mid 16.
    In April he came back and did 16.00!
    3rd all time for V55.

Then I thought, who on earth has beaten that in the age range. That welsh chap Martin Rees is who. Even at 62 ish he was doing mid 16 5ks, but looks to have retired, as he has nothing for 2017/18.

Some quality races and racers up north for sure.

I see there's another Podium bandied about for 1st Dec. But that's asking for awkward weather that late on and focus will have moved to other distances and footings.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That's just sickening SG :blush:

Tried out a running vest thing yesterday - the type ultra runners use to carry stuff rather than the string type :smile:  I've always been a bum-bag kinda guy (for fell races rather than as an 80's fashion accessory!!!!!), but when you get to have to carry more than the essentials (ie outside of summer conditions, or for long ones that need water and kit) they can get pretty overloaded and bouncy. Rucsacs used to be the only option, but the new wave of running specific vests seemed like a better bet for running, as they look very stable and aren't so big you're tempted to fill them full of crap you don't need!

I'm thinking of doing the Langdale Horseshoe in October, which is a tough route that will see me out in remote terrain for 3-4 hours most likely, possibly with crap weather, so carrying some extra kit would seem a good idea.  Trouble is, the likes of Salomon and Inov-8's are massively expensive! Fortunately Decathlon do a 10L job that is about a 1/4 of the price, so I got one. Pretty impressed overall - piled lots of stuff in it to run to work and it barely moved or caused any chafing. It felt odd to start, but soon felt OK. It was also a bit sweaty as it was quite humid yesterday, but not likely to be a major problem in October! The best thing though, is it made me feel like some form of action superhero! Might start wearing it all the time, even for short runs (not really!). 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    A bit late on this one, but your last comment Bus.

It wasn't aimed at you or anyone in particular. But I read your post all the same. Valid points under the circumstances.

Good luck managing the sore bits.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    SG, a shame that it was rounded up to 17. Nick McCormick who won was in the 5000 heats at the London Olympics and ran 13.25. He lives pretty close to the podium course now and has only been back racing about a year after retiring for 4 years. He's nicked a few of my strava segments recently, haha. After the race he ran a 6 mile tempo at 5.29 pace. :-D 

The wind is probably the only problem with that course. Always seems to be breezy down one of the long stretches as it runs east to west and sits right beside the motorway where its pretty exposed. 

The V55 was Andy green who ran 2.12 for the marathon in the 90s. I'm pretty sure he ran 31.30 as a v50 at Trafford which I think was a record until it was found to be 100mtrs or so short. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Managed to get my dates slightly mixed up, as I thought tomorrow was the club 5k handicap.

I'm sort of stuffed after that 17.00 as a fast time in a fast race will be competing with some peeps cruising round parkruns, so i'll really struggle to make up the handicap on a lot :)

However, that's next week anyway.

Working with Johnas i'm going to trial a bit of 3 sesh a week for a bit.

Felt a little knackered today, but probably figures, after the drive and lack of good sleeps of the last 3 days.

Tomorrow therefore is a 6miler at 6.04 pace, so mentally it'll feel like it's "Only" 1.30/1.31 lapping, which on a track feels slow, but it's the 24 laps that build up. In effect it should be like the many old "MP" sessions I did, so i';ll have a blast.

After a nice sleep!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Matt - x post. I'm at least encouraged, as in the report they mentioned "unfavourable" conditions, so it's in black and white rather than me blagging it. On the day I didn't really think about it, just ran it hard. That's all you can do.

Thanks again for the recommendation. Same to Aley, and apologies for then not doing any of them :), but sometimes races just can't be worked in sensibly.

Just pure talent looking at those numbers. 13.25 is incredible. The surname was familiar but I couldn't quite remember where i'd heard it. Obviously there's our answer now!! I love that he retired and thought he'd then come back! A year younger than me, but he looks like a grizzled warrior, rather than my pansy boy ish frame :)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

just checking those 2012 Olympic heats, McCormack actually did a quicker time in heat 2 for 12th than Mo Farah did in heat 1 for 3rd! Obviously different contexts in the two races.

But still, doing a quicker heat than the future gold medalist isn't a bad story!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sesh complete. 6miles aiming 6.04 pace which i'd imagine is Threshold pace for a longer run, whereas it's 5.52 for the threshold reps and time slots.

Bit windy, but alright at 1.30 lapping, so 24 laps and 12 secs for 36.06 - clearly a 6.01 av
    Never a doss, but decent
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Further to the mention of Andy Green, watch out for his younger brother Graham who, at 53 (I think) tops various ranking lists for the season and has raced well from 3000 to marathon (9:09 and 2:36). The real reason for mentioning him is that he could probably contribute to the debate about running as we get older. I have seen him run a few times and he doesn't look like a typical runner. Worth looking at his profile picture: 
    https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=609

With the Green brothers above there may well be something in the genes: I remember Graham's son running 1:47 for 800. And yes, ML, Andy had his record taken off him for a short Trafford 10k!

Don't know why you didn't do a 25 lap for a 10k on the track, SG! You should definitely find a track 5k as I said on Monday: you obviously have the powers of concentration for it!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I think the younguns would call him "hench".
    Of which i'm the uber opposite, and when they say strength drops off dramatically over a certain age, i'm going to be struggling!

I probably should have stopped at 24 laps, bearing in mind in some ways there is no sense in doing the tiny extra to make it a full 6miles. However, I wanted a nice division job, 36.06, 6miles, job done. 25th sounded a lap too many!

Not many track 5ks I dare say. On a wind free track though, there must be a good chance of getting well under 17...pending not doing a silly first lap or 2 as i'd imagine would be pretty easy to do.
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Well just get the MK 5000 in the diary for next summer SG. 

Down the track again last night, 20 x 200, with 100 jog, aiming for 31/32. Well the recovery ended up being 50m walk and 50m jog, but the times were all 32's for the first 12, then 31's with a 30 and 29 to finish. Felt good, hopefully encouraging for Malaga. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Decent effort there SG.

A 10000m track race should hold no fears for you, certainly not through boredom. 

And another set of 200's cracked off by Simon. Could be good for the races.

Coe senior stated that a "world class runner should be able to run a set of 20 x 200's in 30 seconds off a short recovery, while retaining the ability to run the last couple in around 26 seconds".

Get your calculators out  :)

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Just as well none of us are world class then eh Ric  :D

The threshold sesh of the week is following the below plan

So far (all at 5.52 threshold pace unless stated)
    3x10mins  (2min)
    3x2miles (2min)
    6miles* at 6.04 (Daniels' plan changes the threshold pace according to length of run - which is something i'd never realised)
    (*Technically it should have been 40mins looking at the schedule now, but 6miles and 36.04 isn't too far off I guess!)

to come... (all 5.52 pace)
    3m,2m,1m off 3-2-1mins
    4x2miles (2min)
    8x1mile (1min)
    20mins, 15,10,5 off 4-3-2-1

Tasty stuff ahead, especially as potentially doing sessions Thur and Sat as well.
    (Mixing in the Datchet handicap 5k next Thur, and Gosport 5k the Tue after)

Another interesting part of the Daniels plan is some sessions give directions like "sets" or optional reps (4 or 5 here), but linked to percentages of weekly mileage.  The total session being the lower of 10k, or 8% of weekly mileage

Therefore, the 4x1200 option looks best placed here. I'll use 4mins as it's on the road, with saturday track use being perhaps a little unsure. Will plot a safe stretch or two!

Looking forward to a bit of a rampage across town like old times. If i can get over the "shock" of not only running on a Saturday, but a hard effort :)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG, the threshold pace changes according to length of run, because the physiology of what is being trained changes due to the length of run.

If Daniels has picked the correct number (calculated guess) the session will start below effect, finish slightly above effect with the 'mean' effect, in the middle.

It's a bit like a play on some beer advert, 'reaches parts other runs don't reach'.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure the "MP" zone Moz had me working hard and building on in effect does a similar thing, but a lot of people got too hung up on the name of it. If i'd called it "tempo" or "threshold" all these years, there wouldn't have been a word. :)

Anyway, today was a 4x4mins job off 3mins.

Equivalent of a 1.21 lap, so that'd be about 5.25 pace required.

Around the local path, with a few turns, a few bits of rough and people milling about today felt some tough work.

However, 5.24 pace for 3, and 5.20 for another felt a good shift.

Decent week so far, with the 17.00 5k, 6m 6.01pace sesh and today.

Will top the week off with a 13 or so tomorrow for a 64mile week.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

13 this morn then. 7.12 pace. Now the quality of the week is increasing, no need for this one to come out too quick, not that there ever was in fairness. Sometimes they just ramp up naturally.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Mhd HM this morning for me. Just come back from a week in Cornwall where it was mostly freezing so this morning’s weather was a bit of a shock. Took me about 3
    miles to catch Dom so I knew I was on about the right pace: 82 & bits was about all I am good for at the mo’ so I’ll take that. Nice event, getting bigger by the year, would be an epically fast course if only they could find a way to iron out the bloody double subway bit; that’s a killer at 12.5 miles.

Nice sessions SG; I’m wondering if I might have a HM PB chase in me somewhere this autumn, got any plans? I suppose it’d have to be Gosport now.....
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Good effort Wool, certainly turned warm again. My watch was barking some silly figures at me afterwards, sky high HR, and 57 hours to recover apparently! Bit strong I think, from a 13miler at 7.12s!

Gosport would be the one. Although I've only done the old course twice.

That one had a couple of (different) loops through an airfield, that needless to say could be windy, but could also be barren if you were alone. Having said that, both of those things can happen on the run to the finish too, on the coastline. My pic is actually from the Gosport half, the expression says it all!

I believe this version is still a 2 looper, but not through the airfield. Will still be totally flat though, and incorporating the road which the Golden mile (on the pavement) runs parallel to.

Gosport (coincidentally!) 5k in 9 days as a B race rampage, and GSR as my first 10miler in 6 years are the only two races on my agenda for now.

If the latter goes really well, I might look at Gosport. Victory 5 is another great race down there. Dates and weather can be big factors though with both. I'm certain the latter clashes with the Handy Cross XC, not sure on the Gosport Half - I think it's often the week after our Datchet XC. I'll probably fancy some sort of effort round either the Marlow 7 or Half which is (probably) 2 weeks before Gosport, but I dare say either won't exactly be a smash fest. 30th year of the half apparently, so might be a decent one to re-do it. I remember finishing the 7 last year knowing i'd undercooked it, as it was my furthest race in 2 years and caution on the hills got me.

GSR clashes with one XC too, so have to keep an eye on not ruling myself out of too many!!

(well you didn't expect a one line answer ;) )

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Brilliant HM in that heat Wool; suggests you could maybe get close to sub 1'20 in the spring (or even Gosport) if conditions are better. I did enter Gosport nearly every year 2007-2016 but only ran it about 3 times as it often seemed too windy. New 2 lap course is very quick if the wind is ok but very exposed otherwise as all right by the sea. 

Usual setting the training standards Simon and SG; relentless guys :)

Double race weekend for me for a change! Tried the new parkrun at Dinton Pastures; tough course as all trail and very twisty but at least no hills. Not much quality either and took over the lead after about 2.5k till 4.999k when an old WV colleague (now 26.2 RRR) went by to pip me by 1 second for 1st finisher. Had looked around with abut 200 to go and he must have been 40 metres down so that says it all about respective finishes. Still 19'12 for 2nd not too bad on that course. Also 5th top3 in 5 weeks on 5 different courses (but no firsts amongst them!). The guy who won was targeting 1'17 at M'haed HM and was taking it easy at pr, but his battle to beat me must have taken its toll (lol) as he only did 1'29 today. Something must have gone badly wrong as he is a quality guy that came 2nd in a TVXC a couple of years back beating the mighty Dachs that day!

Onto the main event which was Overton 5 near Basingstoke. Stupid start time at 2pm so ridiculously hottest point of the day at about 26 degrees :( Very high standard race as a Hampshire league one but (like Elmbidge 10k) knew hardly anyone as all Hants clubs and most of them Southampton way. Was quite amused by "Hardly Runners" on several shirts but guess that is just another club down there. Anyway the course was something else; massive descent in 1st k so 3'24 for that then seemed to climb almost relentlessly for 6k (sorry about the k's SG!) with some real steep bits. Real struggle in the heat and most k's about 4 but one at 4'13. Then another real fast k to finish in about 3'42 and overall 52nd of about 500 in 31'27. Was hoping to match my recent BP time and creep under 31 but not to be on that course in that heat. Still 4th in v50 so not too bad in the standard. Quite scenic course but no time to enjoy it as the race was such a struggle in the heat. 

Think I forgot to report last weeks races too; 18'27 at Woking parkrun and 38'50 for club 10k. Pleased with those especially the sub 39 10k for once; pity I can't do it when the pressure is on. Think that's enough races to report on in one post :)
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Just had a catch up, been away in the Lakes so it was fun to read through, this forum would be a bit dull without Ric stirring the pot now and again.

Surely at 50 it's all about enjoying it, unless you've really underperformed in your younger years, you're not going to get better.

Nice race and report SG, I particularly enjoyed the United game part of it. Good performances from you too Pete. I'll have to give the Dinton one a go at some point. Is it the same as when Reading did the winter one there? I assume Reading will have to be cancelled when it's waterlogged now.

Good run out at M'head Wool.

I've continued to rest my achilles, been about 2-3 weeks since I ran properly. Did 5 miler in the Lakes in the week. Also got out on my bike a couple of times, did 3 of the 100 greatest UK climbs. Got back Saturday evening and remembered I'd entered the Reading Triathlon, it was the club Standard/Olympic distance championships (1.5k swim/44k bike/10.5k run). Plan was to go hard on the swim and bike and let the achilles decide what the run was going to be.

It was a beautiful morning, the lake had cooled to 18 degrees but still perfectly comfortable. I had a reasonable swim of 26:50 placing me 27th overall out of the water, I had a good transition and moved up from 27th to 16th overall before even starting the bike leg! All started well on the bike, felt pretty strong but the pole on my aerobars slipped on the first descent, thankfully it didn't unbalance me but it did seem to mess with my gear shifting later on. As I started the second lap my upshift button stopped working and the bike just went mad and shifted all the way down to the easiest gear, meaning I was spinning like the roadrunner. Having messed around on the move a few times I had to stop. Tried changing over the batteries (It's a wireless electronic gear system) and got going again but the problem persisted. In total I spent two minutes stopped on the roadside and lost a bit more time as the gears went mad several times.

I eventually realised that I could still shift using junction box but it wasn't easy and it's hidden under a water bottle on the bars! So dramas over and despite losing circa 3 minutes posted the 3rd fastest bike split, would have been the quickest by about a minute otherwise. I'd moved from 16th to 6th by the start of the run and I decided to go out easy. The run is on a loop around the lake, just over a mile long and done 6 times. Everyone moans about the course as it's just mown wild grass, uneven and banked in several places. I like it though, not sure why. I start easy, achilles feels a little tight the first few steps but soon abates. Glance at the watch after a few minutes and see 6:2x, that'll do I guess.

As it's multiple loops it gets progressively busier and I enjoy the constant overtaking. Weirldy I always get quicker as the run goes on here, 6:21, 6:19, 6:17 for the first 3 miles. It's funny that the guys that complement you as you pass them are the ones that are also running pretty quickly and I guess don't get passed that often. I continue to wind it up a bit 6:14, 6:11 & 6:11 and if it wasn't for the three minutes I wasted on the bike I think I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at this now but I settle for a comfortably hard last lap to cover the last 1/2 mile at 5:58 pace. That's good enough for the second fastest run, running comfortably. It's only enough to move me up one place to 5th, just behind 4th but 1st veteran.

Reasonably pleased with that considering I haven't really run for two weeks.

• That's really good Reg, great level of fitness do just pull that one out of the bag.

PeteM - My dads lot (Poole AC) did Overton most years in the 90's I seem to remember, it's certainly a race he seemed to like. I know Hardly runners as my HHH team mate Mike used to run for them, I think they are Hythe way..on the west bank of the Solent.

Funnily enough the end of my long run on Sunday took me to the other end of the Ridgeway - Ivinghoe Beacon. The kid wanted to go up there, actually quite slippy as it was so dry. Its about 11/12 miles from mine.

Nothing much since - doing an 800 at Watford tomorrow, Dean 'might' be down too apparently. I need to get under 2.05 to get on the all time V45 list, which is a bit easier than the tough 4.06 for the 1500 (doubt i'll be getting on that list!). Anyway, i'll go for 59/60 secs first lap and see what happens...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You're that kid at school that claimed never to do any homework yet got good marks Reggie ;) Nice effort.
    Good luck Simon

Looked forward to today's sesh. Mixed distances which always spices it up.
    4x200 (200m jog), 2x400 (400m jog), 1x800 (800jog), 2x400 (400 jog), 4x200 (jog)

paces 200 - 36secs, 400 - 74, and 800 -2.28
    So straight away it jumps out that the 800 at 2.28 is a big ask! But plenty of recovery with jogs rather than time.

I think i did a 2.28 800 recently, but that was at a Datchet session where we go off idiotically, die massively and the second lap fades massively. One reason I try not to do those Datchet track sessions now, as they don't do consistency any good at all.

Long story short, pretty much achieved all the reps, bar the 800

200 - 35-36-37-35, and 35-36-36-36
    400 - 74x2, 72,74

Half of each lap had a fair amount of wind, rising to quite a bit of wind on the 800 (typically!), and I think i was way off target after lap 1, as even an incredible smashfest in on the second lap second 200 only saw me emerge as 2.33
    Decent run out though, hitting some faster paces after a lot of threshold recently, although Saturday got back into the faster stuff over 0.75ms

I'm not sure I'd have been able to hit those 200s much faster today (if i'd have needed to), as the half of the track I was using was the windy half, and I'm probably a bit of out of the 33/34 session pace from early summer now.
  • Good work on the Maidenhead Half Wool. My LSR that day felt hard as it was a lot warmer than expected!

Pete - quality double-double :smile: The times are holding up pretty good I reckon - I'd love a sub 18:30 parkrun currently!

Reg - usual pulling rabbits out of the hat job with that tri! Damn shame about the mechanical (electronical?). I'm still not sure how I feel about electronic shifters - seems to be against the ethos of a man-powered bike, but I guess I'm just a luddite :smile:

SG - nice reps and some quality training going on. Seems to have been a pretty high quality summer all round session wise.

Still not decided whether to do Langdale Horseshoe or not yet. In addition to it being a fairly big ask, we are likely to be travelling up to the Lakes the following week and I'm not sure about having two weekends in a row with such a long amount of time in the car.  I did a very hilly 15M on Sunday.  Wish I could say it was fine, but it wasn't - felt knackered the whole way round!

7 this morning on a beautiful late summer/early autumn morning was nice though.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You and your gruelling runs Bus! Feel knackered reading them half the time!
    Could be a lot sillier though, noticed HX Dom on Strava is the least sensible trainer ever.
    Had PF for months now, did a half marathon on Sunday, half of which was so affected by the PF the pace dropped heavily, and now talking of doing reps today! Response to good natured "what the's" from people? Did the same after Burnham half!
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭

it's fair to say I won't be running any intervals in the next couple of days; I'm trying to wean myself off the calf guards as my wife takes the piss out of them but the reality is that I do take longer to recover from hard efforts when I don't use them.

I always notice Dom as I pass him in races, he's a big guy and hard to miss. I wonder if he sees that skinny old bloke from Datchet go past? I wish he did as it might help him experiment with working in to races rather than the opening miles being the fastest.

I enjoyed reading that race report Reg, I can just imagine the panic that you must face as a mechanical comes along like that. Nasty.

I've been doing a bit of research on Snowdonia and it appears that running the race is going to completely destroy me and so perhaps Gosport isn't a goer. Hmm, entering this race did seem like a good idea at the time!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wool, it's funny, as a lot of us have always gone off quick, but there's a line where it has to become a race ruiner.

It must at some stage register, that when you're coming 25th or so in a friendly XC league, that being 1st after 200metres is not in any way a sensible racing tactic.

Snowdonia is on the 27th Oct then, with Gosport 3 weeks later. Unless you just dribble round admiring the views, that has to be way too close to be attempting a smashfest half.

That's one problem with running isn't it, you can't do it all!
    I've tried to keep to a happy medium in the summer, of doing a lot of races, but still getting the fast attempts in.
    Going forward, the difficulty is how to fit in the Dasher sessions. I know for sure the sessions I now do under Johnas are much better for me personally, but I know the social stuff and mixing with the club are important too. We'll judge week by week I guess. At least with 3 sessions per week it gives more scope I suppose.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭

SG, let's face it, the DD sessions are often published / changed at the last minute and seldom seem geared towards the race season with a real tendency to focus on short reps. There appears to be some glory in going and smashing short reps and ignoring other threshold work. I've never got it and as a result haven't run a lot of the Tuesday sessions in recent years. I'm a firm believer that most folks just need to run more to get better at running and that one should only think about adding in a lot more structure once they have a good base. DD philosophy is that running 400s will fix everything, and the twice a week runners fall for it. We are a club full of 19 - 20 min 5k runners who can't run a sub 95 HM. We don't have to be like that :-)

On getting out quick in races, I only said experiment! I am very aware that there are other schools of thought and that I could also be criticized for not putting it out there often enough. I'm sure that my focus on the marathon has made me a pacing bore but I'm scared!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking just that the other day wool when viewing one dasher doing a string of sub 7min 4-5milers yet producing a mere 7min miling half.

While we're still not flawless experts here, and im probably happiest when totally putting it in a coach's hands, they surely have to look at the maths of things at times.

There were a number of winter sessions of 4-5mins on and a couple of mins off.
    Those are harder less glam sessions though, so i can see why smashing short stuff appeals
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Well done on all races and training everyone - that is everyone.

Just wondered. How many on this thread go running just for the love of running? 

Just a thought.

Reg  ;)  

🙂

• SG, I am that kid that actually did no homework and got better than expected but underwhelming results. You're right that the habits of my youth are somewhat still prevalent today though.

My calves are a bit sore from Sunday so won't be running for another couple of days but the achilles feels a bit better.

Nice session on the track.

Bus, electronic gears are better. A well maintained mechanical groupset is nearly as good though. It's especially good on a TT bike as you benefit from buttons on the aerobars and the bull horns, you can't do this with mechanical.

Ric, why are you winking at me?