Monday 3rd September 2018 - And the crown—it weighs heavy

Morning.

Lyrics - And the crown—it weighs heavy

Was the late start because of ferry times OH? Nice to get a seasons best. How were your feet?

Another nice morning forecast here but I will be sensible and keep the miles down. May have to take it easy with the wallpaper stripping too as my back isn't too happy this morning. Could be a gym visit this afternoon, needs to be the early part of the week I think, just to be a little cautious and give myself the best chance on Sunday.

What:             short and easy/maybe gym
Why:              tapering/trying to defy time
Last hard:      working out what to do this week
Last rest:       19/8
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• What:
    1. Test drive All-New Ford Focus
    2. Swim
    3. Recovery 5k loop this evening
    Why: that's the plan!
    Last hard: yesterday's heat
    Last rest: Friday
    Lyrics: no

Slightly earlier start would actually have been better for our ferries LMH

One of our running group did 100 miles at Glenmore 100 yesterday.

Plan to accompany runner tomorrow on a short leg of her "Great British Run" . A solo 1500 mile unsupported run starting in Shetland ending at Lands End.
    3x 30 mile runs in Orkney (we just plan to do first bit from airport - 10 miles)
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Morning!

What: short and easy/maybe fitness suite

Why: trying to regain some fitness and lose weight
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Faith Addison on FB Great British Run if anyone wants to follow her progress ...
  • I wonder why they made the start so late then OH? I've seen Faith's run, I expect she'll appreciate the company.

Will that be three days consecutive running Alehouse?
  • Yes, LMH, but yesterday was only a 10 minute loosener and the legs felt better for it.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hiya
    Apologies but not read back as yet over yesterday's achievements
    What - easy run and committee meeting
    Why - recovery and admin
    last rest - 20 days
    last hard - Saturday. decided against a longer trail run instead opted for 7x400m hill reps. Silly idea, won't catch on...
    Yesterday was 13 very easy trail.
    lyric - not sure

One of my club mates finished the 170km UTMB this weekend. That is just silly.

• Morning all. Nice running weekend all round by the looks of it. Fame at last on FB Ale! Fat-what fat? :-)
    Emz...err no fat...maybe just wear and tear on the shorts where the fabric is exposing more of the overlock stitching...it can happen. Great pics OH, not sure about the bling unless next year's fits inside to make a nice double :-) Enjoy the test drive. Dustin: at least you'll enjoy one part of the what!
    Donaldo..how goes the return? Is Benjy due back soon? Missing his wit and repartee. Had a nice evening away being spoiled so no run yesterday. I quite like this occasional rest lark!
    WP: Careful. Look forward to seeing you again. I'll be in FoDAC green sporting a Royal Stewart Baseball Cap for ease of recognition :-)
    What: Probably one hour steady
    Why: Got a relay race tomorrow (Teams of 3 x 2miles) so want to save the legs
    Last Hard: Getting up for breakfast yesterday!
    Last Rest: Yesterday
    Lyrics: No bells ringing

• BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Yes SC!

Hiya chaps, just a quick check in, have returned to load of tasks!

Actually came back Saturday, feeling bloated from two weeks of bread and beer. Have put on a couple of pounds. Running was limited, stopped in a holiday house in Enniscrone (or Inishcrone if traditional), all family spread out between County Sligo and Mayo, this was near enough in the middle for all visiting. Lovely three mile shell littered beach for running on a morning, but limited as running out of town is dangerous, cars that drive like they are going back in time to 1955 and no verges, so was just beach, which is nice first day, but then gets to be a treadmill.

Found I was running only 6 milers due to time (for day activities) and space to run in. They then became arduous runs, bit of a struggle to be honest. Travelling back on the two day Captain Cook-esque voyage up through Northern Ireland/Scotland/Cumbria etc getting worried that my running has deteriorated and many steps back to square one, with York Marathon coming up, so went out and did quite a pleasant 13 miler in a steady time of 2 hours, which isn't what I was expecting. It has to be all in the head.

Anyway self-appointed myself as The Sheriff of Enniscrone (as there isn't one) and managed to get people to refer to me as that, so that was good. I will take my responsibility seriously.

Got to get back up to distance and mindset though, so 18 miler planned for coming Saturday and will do either 14 or 15 this Wednesday. Tonight or lunchtime will be a 6 or 7 trot just to move and get out from working.

Will have a read back later of events and news missed.

What: 6 or 7 trot later today
    Why: To get out from work, shed the belly lead
    Lyrics: Well I do not I’m afraid

• Welcome home Sheriff!

• It will have done you no harm Benjy and the extra couple of pounds will soon disappear. Did you all have a good holiday and how is Mrs B feeling about Sunday?

Sometimes a rest is best SC - hope you have an incident free run at the relays.

Glad yesterday's run helped Alehouse but be careful eh?
  • Morning

Nice to see our Sheriff is back in town again:-)

SC:What colour is baseball cap? although I should spot you,what time are you aiming for all things being well? I will be the one with a black knee length boot on one leg.....LOL

What: Rest day oh hang on some knitting and watching ToB
    Why: Over did the walking yesterday
    Last hard: Past  3+ weeks
    Lyrics:Nope
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Yay, Benjy is back :-)  Nice confidence building 13 miler.

Dustin: Agree. UTMB is bonkers. I have a friend who's keen but doesn't have enough points yet.

OH: Great pics yesterday. Made me smile.

LMH: First day of taper for me and I'm bored already so I have lots of sympathy for how you must be feeling.

What: rest day, maybe some yoga tonight
    Why: taper
    Last hard: tapering
    Last rest: 21/6

Yesterday's were the Stereophonics with Have a nice day.

• 8 miles done and dusted...probably too much but felt like fun.
    WP it's red tartan, surprisingly :-)
  • I've worn myself out wallpaper stripping chicksta! Then over achieved a little with some experimental salted caramel brownies - not what I need to be eating when tapering really but hey, life's too short to go without cake  :) My BiL is in Berlin, near the Tiergarten (hope that's the correct spelling) for a few days - any short (5k - 10k) running routes you know of and would recommend?

I thought you were saving yourself for the relays SC?
  • Afternoon!

Good to see you, Benjy! I hear that Scarborough was the hottest place in the country yesterday! 

What: fitness suite for stretches and a little biking, then 3k run, which was not easy.

Why: need the stretches, plus run wasn't easy as it was in HM Common with a couple of steep hills. If I run tomorrow it will be a gentle ten minute loosener at the most. 
  • LMH: The only running route I know in Berlin is 26.2 miles long :D

There's a parkrun in Berlin Hasenheide which isn't too far away I think. Maybe that's an option?
  • He won't be there at the weekend chicksta - though I could suggest he check out the route. Thanks.

Are things easing any Alehouse?
  • LMH: google give you things like this...
    https://www.top10berlin.de/en/cat/leisure-258/jogging-routes-2598

Running was fine today, LMH...but I won't comment beyond that! Had plenty of other false dawns!