Tuesday, 4 September 2018 - I've laid awake, awake all through the night

Morning

Hope it's no false dawn for you this time  around, ale.

LMH: Hope your friend finds a nice route in Berlin. I think some cities offer running sightseeing tours. Maybe that's another option worth trying?

Off for a short joggette now. I ended up not doing anything last night.

Have a good day all :)

Comments

• Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - Too Much Is Never Enough - Florence + The Machine.

Thanks Alehouse and chicksta - he's done the online research, I was just after some personal recommendations. He's there for work and planning to run before breakfast.

Glad yesterday's run was ok Alehouse.

It's good to take rest days in the taper as and when your head can cope chicksta.

What:           short and easy/maybe gym
    Why:            tapering/didn't get yesterday
    Last hard:    knowing when to stop with the DIY (overdid it a bit yesterday)
    Last rest:     19/8

Lyrics - no but quite apt.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning all
    Welcome back Benjy. Nothing wrong with a bit of holiday blubber to run off...
    What - Coaching tonight , paarlaufs
    Why - on the rota, faster running
    last rest - yesterday in the end. At our City office (no gym, no changing rooms) and had committee meeting in the evening so time sort of fell away. Probably do me good.
    last hard - Saturday
    lyric - no

Few club mates are doing the Manchester marathon next year. I'm deliberating.
    Daughter #2 is planning on Manchester Uni, so from an admin point of view it makes sense to wait for 2019-21

• Morning!

I think Manchester is a quick course and is relatively quiet for those under about 3:15. Gets very busy after that. As always it very much depends on the weather with sleet and snow, torrential rain and blazing sun in recent years. 

What: pilates and perhaps a short run

Why: Tuesday, and to loosen the legs

Lyrics: no, but can understand!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I'll pass on Manchester then Ale. Hope it's a fine dawn and not a false one. Chicksta...that jogette made me smile. May have to do one later. Coaching and paarlaufs should be fun Dustin. LMH I was/am but as our team has no chance of a category prize we are running for fun. Our combined age is 180 and all Scottish so our team name is Deep Fried Mars Bars. WP: what strength training is it today? :-)
    What: maybe a gentle jogette at lunchtime
    Why: relay race later
    Last hard: TKD last night
    Last Rest: Sunday
    Lyrics: Nope
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    What:
    45 minute sea swim this morning
    Why:
    Nice day and awaiting arrival time of Faith (Great British Run lass) from Shetland.
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Friday
    Lyrics no

Faith now arriving sometime this afternoon in friend's private plane.

Signed up for Polar Bear Challenge this winter. November-March 2x 250m per month and total of 5000m. Ice swimming rules ie no neoprene: just standard swimwear plus goggles silicone hat allowed.
    Pretty much what we do already except I usually don neoprene gloves in colder months. About 7 of us in Orkney have signed up.
  • Morning again!

You are mad, OH! Well regarding the swimming anyway!

SC: don't want to put anyone off Manchester marathon! It is nowhere near as busy as London of course! I know a fair few people who prefer Manchester over London. 

Walk completed including 2 x 1k slowly jogged.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Polar bear challenge sounds bonkers, OH  :o  I thought Faith was running, not using a fancy private jet :D

Consistent consistency, ale.

Good luck, SC.

LMH: Hope your friend managed a run. As much as I like the marathon in Berlin for its big international atmosphere I hate the city as such and have only been there twice. One of those times was to run the marathon in 2008. I know London much better than Berlin ;)  bit pathetic since it's our capital but hey, when I grew up Berlin was fenced in and Bonn was our capital :)

What: 8 mile horrible taper run (cue slow and shit)
    Why: I asked myself that question
    Last hard: getting those legs to turn
    Last rest: yesterday - guess I paid the price today. I usually have a crap run following a rest day
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Faith now not flying until later in day and not running until tomorrow (when I'll be working).
    May or may not catch up with her before she leaves Orkney.

Somewhat difficult to run between Shetland and Orkney, Chicksta, although I have vague recollections of a runner once setting up a treadmill on ferry (or did I imagine that?) 
  • Did Berlin Marathon 2008 too and loved it. Did half mara 2016 and it was fantastic so signed up for next year. Target sub 1.40 if I can control the SVT. Quite excited as there's a parkrun to add to my tourist schedule. I'm still getting to grips with it as a city but so far so good....
  • I usually feel like that after a rest day too chicksta - at least you know what it is. No worries about the Berlin routes, just thought I'd ask.

I have thought about doubling up and doing Manchester next year especially if P doesn't get a London place but it would be expensive.

Hope you have an incident free and fun time at the relays SC.

Too tired for the gym - this DIY is really taking it out of me.
  • (Els assures me that dreadmill on ferry really did happen)
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all
    Hope all is good
    I've managed every day. I've also swim .5 mile in the sea twice!!! Today was so hard as the sea was really choppy but we did it! 
    Aha OH I did 38 mins sea swim today, it's hard! Massive respect for you as you always do it! I do like it which had quite surprised me. Oh loves it too. 
    Sc hope the relay goes well
    Alehouse, how is it all going, well I hope
    Dustin enjoy the paarlaufs, I'll enjoy the pies! 
    Lmh hope you had a good easy today
    Chick hope you had a good joggete

What 2.25 run, 38 Min sea swim, shipping ha ha
    Why got treated to a ring and earrings
    Last hard this morning
    Last rest 31/12/16
    Take care all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Forgot to post yesterday oops!  5km done jogged to running club then did a few laps round the track, stopping in between to chat to coach.

What: rest
    Why: winding down for Saturday
    Last hard: sleeping...the builder's bluetooth speakers started running out of battery at 4:30 as they had forgot to turn them off.  Made an horrific noise!  Couldn't work out what it was and by the time I had and shut them up I was awake and couldn't get back to sleep!
    Lyrics: nope

SC thanks for saying I don't have a fat problem :)
    LMH yes it's a pain, I'm allergic to all raw stone fruit and core fruit, raw carrots, raw blackberries, hazelnuts and almonds (that I know about!).  Not sure if I'm too late, but there's a nice run around the Tiergarten, then up to the Brandenberg Gate and Potsdammer Platz, basically round all the tourist sites!
    Ale fingers crossed!
    Benjy a nasty shock back to reality!
    OH you are mad.
    Wabo glad you're having a good holiday and keeping the streak :)

Have a lovely day all
  • Sounds like a wonderful holiday, wabo.

OH: how crazy is that? A dreadmill on a ferry ...

DYI surely counts as cross training, LMH.

SC: We were in the same race then. It was when Haile broke the world record and was the first person to go sub 2:04 (2:03:59). It was my second marathon and I proudly broke 4 hours (3:54:57 :D )
  • Oh wow, proper anaphylaxis allergic or 'just' intolerant emzap? Do you have a Garmin trace of that route? I think he's out there once a month for the next three months or so.

Sounds as though you enjoyed your break Wabo.

I still need to get to the gym this week chicksta, can't let myself off that easily.
  • Omg :scream: that's hilarious OH