Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Thanks Reg, ultimate aim if I can keep improving at this rate is a Champs place at London and having a crack at winning my home marathon (Stratford) which is usually won in around 2.40. Long way to go though!

Wondering what people on here think about training to effort or specific paces? My coach is adamant that you should never train to paces and rely on effort. I'm slightly on the fence as I think hitting some good paces in training can be a good confidence booster for a race. Also as someone who hasn't raced a huge amount its difficult to judge efforts. E.g I've only ran one marathon so judging a marathon effort is a bit of a stab in the dark!

• Options
    Hi. Another lurker here. But I just read this thread to stalk my old mate, PMJ, (although I do enjoy reading the thread too) I also seem to be in another minority - I love long runs :)
  • Options

Welcome Lurkers..Beware another track race report...

So Watford last night, 800m. Standard for me , found out I was in race 7, 3 seconds quicker than anyone else in the field. the other two who had 2.05 down (including an U13 ffs) were in the race after me. So I managed to get on the inside and thought I'd go off hard and try to hang on in true idiots style. So went through the bell in 59/60..and was all going OK until 200 to go and the lactic started to bite (not felt that for a while). So everything tensed up and I staggered through for the win in 2.06. Bit of a shame as I wanted to join Dean in the V45 PO10 'all time list'. But it needs to be sub 2.05. Decent bit of legwork nethertheless. Also had a bit of a staomach bug Tuesday, so that might have affected me a bit.

Didn't see Dachs there, sadly, I'll catch up with him and Dean in Malaga. I fly out next Thursday, with the heats of the 1500 Sat 15th and final sun 16th (stupidly early as Dean mentioned). My old man is coming over too this time..and yes I will be drinking Sunday lunchtime (win or lose on the booze..)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Welcome Handsome Devil! Great name. Same to you Gul Darr. Is that a real name, or some sort of homage to something or someone?
    Looking forward to seeing the big man PJ tonight at our club 5k handicap race (i say race, i won't be logging this as my 26th of the year).

PJ has been copping some flak for being a huge sandbagger, putting something like 26mins down for his time! He's going to be half way through his fish and chips before i get there!

This is the all time best thread lurker amnesty ever.
    If there's a couple of young hotties in there too who would like to say howdy, even better ;)

ps Stevie Who, i'm an anorak, and I like mileage stuff, and I like zones/paces. Of course, effort is sensible, but I suppose it gives you an easy ride to slack off.
    Having said that, when I was trying to hit a 2.28 800 at the peak of my little pyramid session on Tuesday, I had to factor in the wind out of the excuse locker, as it definitely would have taken more than 2.28 pace to hit 2.28!

I suppose you need to be honest after sessions and races and work out whether you didn't hit target because training hasn't been right, because you've not hit the level on the day, or because of factors out of your control.

For one second Simon, I thought you were in the 7th fastest race with that time! That'd be insane standard!
    I realise it's the other way round now!
    Tidy effort again. You're definitely by far the thread king of logging huge amounts of races close to your best!!
  • Options

SG (and others) - thanks for the comments. I am still relatively early in my running life (mid 30s now, started running 4 years ago) but have had a couple of spells on the bench due to injury so feel like I have had to almost start from scratch again a couple of times.

10k pb is 43:52, 5k 20:42 and I feel as if I am currently training around the paces and effort levels that I was when I set those pbs (especially around the time I set the 10k pb) so feel like there is plenty of improvement to be had. You will notice that the 10k is proportionately shitter than the 5k, due to my lack of endurance as a result of never really running more than 25 miles a week!

So, as I say, I am never going to run as fast as you guys and you probably look at those times and think them unbelievably pedestrian, so I'll probably just continue to lurk and maybe make the occasional contribution/ask the occasional piece of advice rather than bore you with my training.

Everything is relative though I suppose, my times may be slow compared to the best runners, but in the grand scheme of things I still usually finish in the top 10-15% of most parkruns/races that I do, so there are many, many slower runners than me!

• Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I've kind of de-lurked before now, but will pop up properly with a bit-of-a-bio post later seeing as  there's an amnesty ... neither young nor a hotty though !
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Muddy
    ( It did take me a day or 2 to work out your real name on strava!!!)
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    SG said "If there' a couple of young hotties in there too who would like to say howdy, even better "   - -
    sorry to disappoint, but I'm of alehouse vintage ;  

I "know" Gul Darr & PMJ from another thread - and yes, good entertainment and insight  lurking on here - and , every now and again, summat relevant to me will crop up -  eg SG , I like your footy exploits - the Chairboys visited Hillsborough in the last game of the season a few years back - we were promoted and you relegated , and I was impressed by the Wycombe fans remaining to applaud my lot as they traipsed round on the lap of honour.       
    Took note of your appearance at the Podium 5K last week also, as my son was there.  

Interesting debate re "the ageing runner" recently as well - alehouse, Ric et al  ….
    speaking of Ric, I recently started taking magnesium, after reading his thoughts, to see if my decrepit legs noticed the difference   - early days yet, though  .  

Anyway , I'll go back to lurking now, but keep up the standard, all  :)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Birch.Your post shows the beauty of knowing as many runners as possible, as it's a fairly small scene really. It's rare now that I go to a race and don't know anyone - the Podium 5k was actually one such race, but could easily have had Matt there. Hope your son got a time befitting his current level - i was racing one young lad for a couple of miles, that'd be incredible randomness if that was him. Think he eased off late on for 17.30 maybe.

Sheff Wed fans seem to have appreciated our fans that day, and a number of them still frequent our fb pages. It's refreshing, as we seem to attract a lot of rivals fans' ire with our supposed "gamesmanship" :)
  • Options

Blimey - all go on hear again!

Simon - cracking time that. Just a whisker away from the AT list then!

Reg - not sure about the advantage of cycling being that the bikes breaking rather than body.  Not over the long term, but when it does it can be very sudden and painful! I have x-ray evidence to prove it and so does Pete I think :-)

Still, a long bike ride with coffee/cake or beer/crisps stops is a nice way to spend a day!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Agree with SG. Must be one of this threads greatest days. Once again, welcome all.

Birch, hi there. The magnesium form I take is citrate. Effects? mainly I just stopped aching most of the time. Easier to get going after that.

Reg, yes the KOM's. Further to yesterday's feat. I doubt if many KOM's have a form of muscular dystrophy like my lad has. Difficult to be sure with the wind direction.

The one way to know you're going really well on the bike is that it's a head wind everywhere.

🙂

• Options
    Which brand do you use Ric? Gotta be worth a try I guess!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good little session in this handicap tonight then, I won't class it as a race, as there were no times or numbers dished out.

Felt a bit lonely as the numbers thinned out, and I was off last.

25.05mins to make up on the first chap out, albeit a legend who is still turning out at 85!

Some dodgy looking times to make up on others, like our own PJM, plus almost 2mins on a guy who is never too far behind on the track!

30 and 47 seconds behind the two nearest to me, the former who had beaten me at Burnham 5k, but no time within 30secs over 5k this summer.

Not the easiest course, a lot of trail and grass, and the usual long pavement bit was cut a bit near the end, with an awkward little grass downhill and a bend instead.

Was cutting the 30secs decently with some rough counting, but knew it'd be an ask to get ahead, so am happy enough to have trimmed it to a few seconds in the end.

The 47seconds to the next chap seemed to stay exactly that, as I finally finished with 17.03 for 3miles. (they'd said it'd be short early doors)

Splits got slightly quicker over the 3miles, and HR was fairly low for 5k standards, so probably exactly the session that was needed.

Winner was the 2nd out, for the 3rd year in a row apparently. Probably need to look at that handicap a little closer, but all a decent workout and something new.

Rare F OFF tomorrow, which'll be enjoyable. Does mean it's Saturday threshold though. Might be the 15min, 10-5 off 3-2-1 that's on the horizon.

Hope so, as I'll have a crack at rampaging that across town.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Wow great new group of ex lurkers; welcome all and some interesting posts clocked already. Well done on encouraging all in SG. Excellent track run Simon; you,  Dachs and Dean are set to do this thread proud in Malaga next week.  

Agree Bus re the bike; I have lots of scars fron different bike accidents (MTB and road) and when it goes pear shaped and you are in a crash it is pretty serious; but you can go years without a bike injury unlike running. The other thing with cycling is you seem to be into it or not; if you are it is like a way of life. I have regularly cycled since I was a kid and always commuted by bike; as such whatever the crash or accident you always seem to end back on the bike however dim that is. 
  • Options
    I guess I've been reasonably lucky on my bike.
  • Options
    To be fair, I've only had one serious accident, one semi-serious (both MTB) and a handful of minor scrapes in 47 years of cycling.

Good work in the handicap SG. F off for me too today and a rare drive to work.
  • Options
    Presumably, if they got the handicaps all correct, everyone would be finishing in a massive bundle!
  • Options
    Sorry - I should at least introduce myself properly as the other lurkers have done even if I will generally lurk again. 

I'm 44, female.  From the UK originally but now based in Switzerland.  I like to read the UK forum nonetheless.

PBs:  10k 42:36 (just reduced it last week from 44:19), HM 1:38:42, 10 miles 1:15:11 (hilly), marathon: 3:34. 

Training:  just finishing a second round of P & D marathon training up to 55 miles a week.

Races 10 - 15 each year - various distances, flat and hills (of the civilized sort - no fell racing). 

I did a bit of xc at school as a 12/13 year old but didn't run again in a structured way until 2006.  I saw a c25k in a magazine and said why not.  Spent a few years plodding around and then moved to Switzerland and joined a group here. 

Could hardly keep up with them initially so had to train harder.  Started going to races with them and things have continued since then.  I'm still at the stage of discovering how fast I can still get. 

I'm currently tapering for the Berlin marathon next weekend (goal sub 3:30 or at least a PB would be nice).  If that goes well and even if it doesn't I will probably return to training for shorter distances and more hills for next year. Will spend a few weeks doing planless running to recover and reset first.

Bus: some idle clicking around on Strava led me to sending you a follow request..

Nice handicap race SG.  Is PMJ ok ?  He was petty quiet on here recently.  Enjoy your F OFF. (Bus too)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Yep Reg. That's the plan, and the last 1/4mile was where all of my "actual" overtakes took place (overtook 2 who were on their 2nd lap when I was on my 1st!)

The winner did 31.30 or so. Put down a handicap of 36! No wonder she always wins ;) Not even going to make the allowance that it was 3miles not 3.1miles, as you aint matching your fastest time on this course in this circumstance either way!

ps fair play to you bike boys. When you add that extra speed in versus running, are always on roads, relying on both a flimsy thin bike, and hoping all drivers are 1)not impatient morons, or 2)decent drivers but actually conentrating, and it would scare the life out of me.

Will consider the route for tomorrow's threshold (presuming that is the sesh). Unlike last week, which called for 5.24ish pace, and was too quick to risk across town's with road crossings, 5.52 pace is a bit more reasonable to do so.
    I like the sound of the 15-10-5 drop downs. Must get a real lift when you've done the big chunk.

An interesting idea might be doing it on the local parkrun. I need to get it done decently early as off to Charlton away with Wycombe at midday. 
    I suppose the only problem is that at 15mins I'd have to drop off, or disappear.
    And it'd take exceptional discipline if right near the front, with a mere few mins to go to purposely quit out!

And in some ways half the challenge is doing these sessions on your own and not tapping into race day/competition magic I suppose.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps Hazel, looks like you have plenty of scope to improve if you're carving that sort of time off your 10k recently! The best time for me was always when you make a gain at one distance, and know you almost just have to turn up to equalise these across other distances!

The PJ is ok. He looked in good shape yesterday physically. Having said that he was long gone before I got near the start to limber up, and was finished long before I got in, and not sure he stayed around for the food, so couldn't catch up later.
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭

Ric - sorry to bring up the Mg topic again, I know that you've talked about it before, but what % of the recommended daily intake are you taking in tablet form?

Hi to all of those that have come out of the woodwork. Interesting that many of you are watching for training advice from the thread. I'm contributing nothing to this, sorry!

I had to chuckle when it pissed it down with rain to coincide with the Jim Banks last night SG. Looks like some good times were run despite the rain and the 'darkness'. I gave kudos on Strava to all but PMJ, of course. Naughty!

I know that there's some science in running a session for 15 mins but surely running for 17-18 mins instead isn't outside the boundaries of 'noise' and so would be perfectly acceptable, wouldn't it? You could always take the opening km easy if you believe the science is that exact (most science isn't imho).

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I noted Chris' entitled his strava segment "torrential" rain. I'm not sure it was that bad to be honest! 

I started that Welsh parkrun steadily, so in one way I could "probably" attempt a strict 5.52 pacing, but if it got to the nitty gritty and 1st was up for grabs, it'd be hard to remain disciplined then!
    No, I think you either race or you don't generally, and you either follow a coached plan or you don't.

I haven't had a rampage across town for ages, so that could be quite fun to do again.

Last night was a good event, and sort of social. But you do tend to stick with your "pals" and groups, and in a way it's not actually that social, unless you're a particularly gifted social butterfly like someone like Rob F.

All up for little events like this one. The BBQ after the 4relays early Summer was good.
  • Options
    SG: what Wool said re 15 minutes!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Well it is 15-10-5 in fairness 
  • Options

As per HN I should do an intro as well:

29, Male

PBs: 5K (Parkrun) 18.09, 10k (Apr 17) 46.29, HM 1.28.04 Mara 3.22.39

Training: Working towards Abingdon Marathon. Very luckily was brought online coaching for my birthday from the better half, really enjoying it!

Races: Don't race that often as I always seem to be marathon training, however I am just about to join a club so hopefully will be starting to toe the start line more often!

Always ran occasionally when I was younger and raced the occasional 10k off football fitness. Came back to running April last year to do the Birmingham 10k, thought I could do sub 45 and found out the hard way that I couldn't! Then entered the Birmingham half and VLM ballot. Trained a bit better for that and came out with 1.37, also found out I had a London place.
    Designed my own training plan for London and found my times tumbling with consistent running (Who knew!?!) Well and truly caught the bug now so will be running for the foreseeable future! Got a 10k on Sunday followed by Cheltenham half on the 30th so can see some chunks coming off my existing PBs.

• Options
    welcome to all the new people, good to have fresh input and new stories and to see the PBs tumble.  in slightly similar news i met Big Bad Bob (from the overdone it thread) a few weeks back.  he looked in good shape and hope his return is swift.

Doing a tempo during a park run is really really easy.  you do 2 things. 
    1) dont tell anyone before or after that its a tempo. When doing a normal tempo you dont shout at passers by on a canal path, im running 20 secs less per mile ..dont judge me!
    2) turn off your ego.  its a local parkrun not a championships. nobody, and i mean nobody, cares what your parkrun times are so dont feel the need to justify it.  all of my parkruns in the last 2 yrs have been tempo efforts. the number of people that say to me... Deano has lost his edge as he only did a 16.40 parkrun on saturday = 0

Parkruns are great places for a tempo...it makes it easier to hold the pace around others doing so.  even if they are racing :)

nice 800 Simon.  sorry could get down to watford but was under coaches orders to do 2 sessions instead. Didnt realise i was on the UK all time list for 800...i knew i was high on the indoor all time list for 1500 but didnt check 800.  Will do now :) 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    DeanR7 said:

nice 800 Simon.  sorry could get down to watford but was under coaches orders to do 2 sessions instead. Didnt realise i was on the UK all time list for 800...i knew i was high on the indoor all time list for 1500 but didnt check 800.  Will do now :) 
    As if you didn't ;)
  • Options
    Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Don't blame you Deano - I would if I was that fast.

Decent training last night in that bloody weather - sure it wasn't supposed to be that wet. Did the 8 x 800 steady/fast again ..with 80 recovery. All the steadies in 2.40-2.45, fast in 2.24,2.20,2.18,2.16. Considering how achy I was from the 800 the night before and the TORRENTIAL rain (well the last 2 reps) ;) and pretty windy, I was happy with that.

Then more great stories in the pub from coach from about the 70's. About him drinking impressive amounts the night before setting a world record. Normal pub talk :)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    On a more serious note, Dean, don't disagree with much of that. Although even your tempos are generally way ahead of 2nd place! 

We will see tomorrow. I tried doing part of a tempo in a parkrun once, starting one late, and it just didn't work. I think that day I ended up in a bush!
    It's not the smoothest course which is one problem -I did my session last week in the same park, but using the smoother parts of it.

Will think it over though.
    Simon, nice 800s, doing 8 meaning it's a 10k type session? Or just hardcore for 5k? Or do you just thrash them as they come?

• Options
    Stevie G said:
    DeanR7 said:

As if you didn't ;)
    Ha!  i didnt check my 800 as it was 2.02 and thought it wouldnt be anywhere near any UK all time list.  Honestly just checked now and saw its way down in 39th.  Pfff!  now compare that to my 1500 which is 2nd ...which is probably why i checked that :)