Monday 10th September 2018 - You live for love, I long for it

Morning.

Lyrics - You live for love, I long for it

That's a good time and placing for someone not racing SC.

My left hamstring is a bit tight this morning (felt it tighten up in the last couple of miles yesterday) but other than that I don't feel too bad so I'm hoping to manage a recovery run after I've walked Grace.

What:             short and easy
Why:              keep things moving
Last hard:      running in to the headwind yesterday
Last rest:       19/8
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning,

A popular day to run a race yesterday well done to SC,OH and anyone I have missed.

I hope the hamstring eases whilst on Grace's walk LMH.

What: Hobble to the village/crunches

Why: Because I think I can;-)

Last hard: Really!

Lyrics: Nope

Boot off in 15 days so we are getting there.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Thanks for all the feedback yesterday :)

What: recovery loop this evening (although yesterday's afternoon swim helped nicely)
    Why: it's Monday loopday
    Last Hard: probably not yesterday which actually felt good
    Last rest: Saturday
    Lyrics no

Hope all goes well once boot comes off WP

Well done SC. Glad you're making your own mind!
  • Morning!

Lyrics: no

Glad there doesn't seem to be too much post-race damage OH and LMH!

What: probably run and walk

Why: managing niggles whilst trying to regain fitness

Back later!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • It's good to keep these youngsters in their place OH  :)

You're getting there Poppy.

Hope it stays dry for you Alehouse. After walking Grace I think it's more piriformis than hamstring (or could be hamstring insertion) so I shall have a sit on a tennis ball and then try a run on the flat.
  • Loving the self diagnosis and treatment LMH as well as attention being paid to educating the next generation :-)
    Countdown WP. Thanks OH..joining you on recovery methinks
    Enjoy the day all. Day one of statins yesterday...so far...haven't a clue :-)
    What: Gentle something at lunch
    Why: Tapering for Sunday's 10k or the week after's half, or the half the week after that :-)
    Last Hard: Digesting Friday
    Last Rest: Last Sunday
    Lyrics: Nope
  • That's only 2 more weeks then, poppy. Bet you can't wait :)

LMH: +1 on hamstring niggle. Though mine must be taper madness.

OH: Glad you managed to keep that 58 year old youngster at bay :D

Ale: Still niggling?

SC: That's a race every weekend. Wowzers.

What: nothing - maybe a bit of stretching later
    Why: tapering
    Last hard: tapering and thinking of next Sunday. I'm a bit scared. Which is silly really but it's been 3 years that I last ran a marathon and it's been 5 years that I last ran well. Everything else has been overshadowed by injuries and other crap. I guess I should be more zen about it all and enjoy the ride but I would also like to do well to do my training and the long rocky road to recovery justice. I just hope that nobody is going to trip me up. Berlin is notorious for being super crowded.
    Last rest: 3/9
    Lyrics: I think so

Yesterday's were Fat Boy Slim, Praise you

• Morning all
    Well raced yesterday OH, good time too.
    You too LmH, and a pb too! 
    Emz - sounds like a fun day!
    Don - great racing, always good when you get involved in a battle like that

What - Easy run & QoP elbows later
    Why - Recovery - mile race yesterday
    last rest - a week ago
    last hard - yesterday

Club's annual "Dream Mile"
    Put myself in heat 2 (of 3) with the first race for the Sub 5-5:30 brigade. the last one for the 6:30+ runners
    A small field but all the guys (and girls) I train with so knew it would be a close fought contest. 
    First lap too quick at 81s, but then settled in with a group of 7 running in a cluster and even a bit of elbows and jostling!
    Third lap as always a bit of a battle and started to drop two of the group. Rest of us pushed on and by the bell anyone of 5 could have won it. 200 to go and my usual training buddy starts to turn the heat up and the gaps start to show. A year ago, I recall feeling great at this point and taking 3 places over the last half lap. No repeat this year and just do enough to hang onto 4th.
    5:41.15 on the clock, so 8s down on last year. On the basis that all 300s and 400s in training this year have been a couple of seconds down on what I was hitting last year, I can't complain. Long slow recovery afterwards, and stairs remain an effort. Absolutely shattered.

• Great write up Dustin...I feel your pain. We have autumn mile tomorrow and hope to improve on Spring 6.33. No chance of pushing though :-)
    Chicksta: All runs that just happen to be in races :-)

• Wow cracking running yesterday chaps, remarkable time there LMH, well done and really truly inspiring. Don you truly are a machine, well done on the accolade mention at start, OH making the islands and highlands proud, EMZ what a whilrwind of a running adventure, Dustin a champion effort, god bless the effort for the stairs post-event, RFJ a cracking parkrun followed by 10K, superb, SC banging it out there refusing to be held back, well done, Welsh/Ale keeping it going in the face of adversity. Chicksta good sign getting nerves, means you really want it.

What did I do yesterday…? Just a stretching session at the gym. Sorry very dull ha ha.

What: Monday evening is a trot after work, 7ish, time dependant

Why: After working at a computer all day feel “pinned in like a bull between arches” (Smiths lyric) have to get out for a spell and move

Lyrics: 27 points on Popmaster this morning, 0 points on daily forum

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all

back home
    well sc I do not blame you for venting, great 10 mile race btw, you have lots coming up as well!
    Pammie lovely to see you and I hope you're bursitis is improving
    Donaldo well raced!
    LMH wow wow, well done you must be chuffed! Good you are not feeling too bad either
    Emzap amazing park run adventure, wow!!
    WP you can and you will x
    alehouse enjoy your run walk
    Chicksta, wow not long, positive vibes to you I am sure you'll be great 
    dustin, flip that sounds hard!! Well done, enjoy QoP....
    Benjy enjoy your trot!!

What: 2 miles back home done, lots of pottering about yesterday on my bike visiting the family
    why: to see the grandkids faces, younger ones looked like they think I am bonkers! Cleo is used to it
    last hard: this morning 
    last rest: 31/12/16

Come back to a very busy work place which is nice!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • chicksta - it's normal to be nervous and just shows what you've invested time and effort wise but try to turn that into excitement and worry about the things you can control. If someone does trip you you'll either fall or not but the chances are it won't happen or you'll stay on your feet if it does, don't waste energy worrying about it.

How have you recovered after your LSR Benjy.

I bet it's feeling a little cold Wabo!

Busy event schedule there SC. Yesterday morning I wasn't sure why I was racing, even when we arrived and I'd collected my number I could have quite happily have waited in the car for the boys, afterwards of course I was wondering if there was another race I could do this year - though the reality is that it's getting a bit cold for me to be standing on a start line in my vest and shorts! I'm even vaguely considering joining a club and doing some x-country though I'm not sure that will come to anything. I like x-country but I always worry that I'll injure myself and lose vital spring marathon training time. I think I just like to run more than I like to race.

Dustin - hope an easy recovery run helps.

My recovery run was enjoyable and doing what it says on the tin until the point a wasp (I think) flew into my face and stung me on the cheek - that smarted a bit and took some of the fun out of the outing. Made for a faster last mile. Fortunately it hasn't swollen much. I'v made progress with the wallpaper stripping (no the house isn't that big I can only do a little at the time because of my back/shoulder) and have just taken my xmas cake out of the oven - the smell is making me hungry.
  • LmH - my viewpoint then if I may...
    I think that a solid winter of XC running will probably enhance your strength and speed come the new year.
    I personally find it beneficial as it add an extra dimension to your repertoire, and also adds a core element to training given the variability of terrain. One of our middle distance coaches (not an endurance coach), and a former GB international strongly recommends a decent cross country season ahead of upping training in the new year for our faster track athletes.
    Given your speed, and if you take it semi seriously, I'd be surprised if you're not close to the age group medals at county events. You'll also be surprised how runnable some of the courses are too.
    If you're worried about injury, then take it less seriously and use it more for training runs.
    At the very least, why not try it for a year, and see if it makes any difference to your training?

• I echo Dustin's comments LMH. Busy schedule keeps me focussed and I like somewhere to aim for as it's as much about a day out as the race in general (apart from the club stuff)  Looking forward to parkrun tourism in Belfast and the half. Following week is a club event. Got my eye on the other Paris half at end of October (Start/finish at Stade de France) then nothing in sight until Jan/Feb. Already booked Liverpool and adrid for next year :-)
    Chicksta: I agree with LMH. Slips, trips and falls are few and far between. Concentrate on your race your way. It's the reward for all that effort.
    5.61 miles done and dusted. (Benjy, I'm standing in for Poppy on the odd miles :-) )
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    lmh, strangely no I don't feel cold! Slept better last night though.

Dustin, I love xctry, bring it on
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Thanks for the input Dustin and SC. Reasons I might not are initially because I'm getting older and a spring marathon is a target and I don't want to do anything to jeopardise that. I have consistently broken when trying to do speed work in the past and weekly racing would constitute that. If I wasn't racing I'd rather do more miles. Plus having to join a club, running short distances that still take up most of the day due to travel and not being in the slightest motivated by county or any other medal I'm afraid. Oh, and the fact that I don't enjoy racing as much as I enjoy running. I think I may have just talked myself out of it  :)
  • LMH: Recovery, daren't say, as did the 20 miler Saturday morning, but then got in a 1:45AM Sat night/Sun morning as daughters where having sleepover at Grandmas. Bad Benjy!

On a tangent LMH/Dustin/SC I find it interesting reading everybody elses motivation and reasons for running. A group of people that do the same activity but have a number of different reasons, whether it is racing, times, big miles, streak, fitness or in my case more just the getting out and sightseeing, I wouldn't really be doing York again this year if my mate hadn't twisted my arm, I prefer the getting out training with him than the actual event. Would make an interesting Venn diagram.

SC: Ha ha yes the .61 it is the solidarity of Wales.
  • Evening!

Will give some thought to the xc/club possibilities, LMH!

Welcome back, Wabo!

Good news on the Garmin front, Pammie! Hope you use it soon! 

And good news on the TomTom front for me: they replaced the strap free of charge in January and that one has disintegrated so they are replacing the replacement free of charge.

Benjy: your success on Popmaster is noted, as is your naughtiness! If you stayed listening to Ken you will have heard him talking to one of my former house mates!

Chick: I seem to be constantly managing niggles, with the latest an annoying hip. And it isn't taper madness! 

What: 3k run in bits as part of a longer walk.

Why: trying to become a runner again
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I don't think I'm ever not managing some kind of niggle Alehouse, hope you can stay on top of yours. You will always be a runner.

I guess it would be a boring world if we were all the same Benjy. That was a late night - I'm unlikely to see 2130hrs on a 'night out' these days - lightweight  :/
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening. Rest day for me here. Legs are feeling fine but I'm exhausted so being sensible :)

Have a lovely evening all