Options

P&D Autumn Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    Getting very exciting for Hazel, Chick and now John with a late entry. Hope you're able to keep the nerves under wraps for the next few days. You've certainly put the work in, can't wait to hear all about it. GOOD LUCK!!

Big week last week SQ, good luck for the 10km, feel like a PB could be possible?

Jools - huge weekend of racing - normality has been resumed then. Interesting that Tom was there, good to see he's still running. Maybe he'll pop back in at some point..

Muddy - sounds like a solid effort in not great conditions. It's so hard to race a half flat out without the proper training. Seems like you're in great shape though.

AWC - huge congrats on the new arrival, that's fantastic news.

HA - glad to see you back in the groove. It's a pretty sharp taper. I'm in a recovery week this week, racing this weekend. Then 3 weeks hard work before a 1 week taper leading into the race. I've really held back on the running with more of a focus on the bike/swim as it took quite a while to recover from the crash and didn't want to push it too hard. No movement on the job front at the moment, currently considering my options. 

Scott - knocking out some nice sessions and training, looking good.

Spoons - good to see things are moving in the right direction. Just enjoy it at the weekend and be happy that you're able to be out and running again. 

Macca - sounds like a sensible call, racing a hard half can really leave you in a bit of a hole afterwards.

Hazel - MP session sounds very positive; cotton wool time now.
  • Options
    Realised I hadn't reported back on Katie's half for those that hadn't seen on strava. She went into it in cracking form/fitness, but we hadn't picked the best race, with the course being quite lumpy and the wind turned up a few notches which was unfortunate. 

Still, she raced it pretty perfectly, scything through the field in the 2nd half as I spectated on the bike. A 6 second PB of 1:27:56 and 4th female (22nd overall) was a great result. On a flat, fast course, I'm convinced that effort would've been a 1:26 at the very minimum. 

I'm in a weird 'recovery' week which has a couple of sessions before the Brighton Triathlon on Sunday. 16x800 on the track this morning. Managed to keep them pleasingly consistent, all between 2:50-2:51 apart from the last few where I upped the tempo finishing with a 2:44. Apart from that one, all were very much 'in control' pace. 
  • Options
    Cheers folks, relatively wiped out this week - just an easy 6 and 7 up so far. Not really sure what else  I'm going to do this week - if my legs return and other things align, I may try a parkrun on Saturday. Next week is easier to plan as I'm aiming for just a marathon pace rehearsal on Tuesday, a couple of easy 5ks, then 26.2 miles at marathon effort ;)

Congratulations on the new (early) arrival AWC, glad everything worked out ok.

Well done to Joe's Katie on the pb. Good long session of 800s there too.

Scott, pull your finger out mate ! Actually I'm curious as to why all this short speed stuff when track is effectively done and dusted ...

I'll wish yet more good luck to the weekend's marathoners. of whom dct escaped on my last attempt. 
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Berlin Marathon - 16th September 2018
    • HazelnutCH - 12 week P&D - A goal PB (sub 3:34), B goal sub 3:30
    • Chick - 12 week diy P&D - 3:45ish - the closer to 3:30 I can get, the better
    Marathon de Hull - 23rd September 2018
    • Muddy - 6 weeks diy - mad fool just wants to survive
    Chester Marathon - 7th October 2018
    • AlanB - 16 week diy - Goal (A) - Sub 2:35 (B) Sub 2:40
    Abingdon Marathon - 21st October 2018
    • Sorequads - 13 week P&D/BAC - goal sub 2:50 (need to actually get a race place)
    • Jooligan - no training schedule & no target (as yet)
    Snowdonia Marathon - 27th October 2018
    • Sorequads - P&D/BAC - goal sub 3, depending on Abingdon
    Frankfurt Marathon - 28th October 2018
    • RunSpoonRun - 14 week P&D/NAZ/BAC hybrid - goal 2:40
    New York Marathon - 4th November 2018
    • 1SteveMac - 18 week P&D - goal PB (sub 3:10) - will revise closer to time.
    Valencia Marathon - 2nd December 2018
    • JB-BR - No plan or target time. Just enjoy a weekend away after a hard year of racing.
  • Options
    • dct - ???
    • Sorequads - 13 week P&D/BAC - goal sub 2:50 (need to actually get a race place)
    • Jooligan - 8 week diy - Goal (A) sub 3:10 (B) sub 3:15 (c) beat VLM time
    • Jooligan - Oops couldn't resist it! sub 3:30
    • JB-BR - No plan or target time. Just enjoy a weekend away after a hard year of racing.
  • Options

I've never done Telford either Jools, one of the quickest 10km's in the country so should be a good one. Leeds Abbey Dash a month before should be an indicator of how I'll perform

Good to hear the legs are freshening up Hazel

That's some session Joe, legs must have been cooked afterwards

Muddy - even though track season has ended we still tend to do alot of sessions with shorter reps, however training is much more of a mixture now with those sessions, tempo's, hills and fartleks

• Options
    Longest run since Tri X today: 13.1 slow, but very hilly, miles this evening.
  • Options
    dctdct ✭✭✭
    Thanks, well wishers. Lurked throughout the summer, and in usual poor form fashion dipping in more so as raceday looms. Feel in similar shape to Berlin 2016 so might as well go for it... Let you all know how it goes.

• dct - 12(ish) week P&D - sub-2:48:52 (PB)
  • Options
    What’s the vibe with me adding Kona to the list? It’s got a marathon in it so I thought that fact along with being a longstanding member of the thread..  ;) 

Ironman World Championship (Hawaii) - 13th October 2018
    • JB-BR - Goal (A) - Top 15 Age Group (B) Top 25 Age Group (C) Don’t come last.

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Sheez Joe, that's pushing it a bit. Wouldn't usually allow a tri target in the list. Normally a yellow card at least but might consider your good character and contribution to the thread and let it go this time.
  • Options

AWC I’d agree with HA and Alan that it is worth finding the right buggy for you. We invested a bit (maybe around £300-£400, I can’t fully remember), when we upgraded after 18 months or so, but it was money well spent. And the brownie points accumulated whilst running are invaluable!

Thanks HA, Macca and Scott, running a lot of miles over the summer holidays has seemed to leave me in reasonable shape, looking forward to how that carries over to Abingdon. I aimed for sub 2:50 last year and came up a little short, so super keen to bag that one this time. Scott those rep times are incredible! And good work on the snacking/racing weight, Macca. I always feel so much better (and my blood sugar levels are miles more controlled) when I’m in that kind of shape. I just need to remember that when the lure of the biscuit tin grows.

In case I don’t get on here again before Sunday, another huge good luck and enjoy to Hazel, chicksta and dct.

Tough session on the plan, muddy. I’ve always found 26.2 at MP a toughie! Mind you, it is the only session that ever comes out at precisely MP… Hope the taper goes well.

Nice work with the hilly MLRs, Jooligan. Building suitably.

Standard easy 10M on the canal on Tuesday, although it was my slowest ever… Definitely not keen to push the pace, so it was what it was: 7:55s. Yesterday was Workout Wednesday. If I used twitter for anything other than work, I’d consider a ‘hash tag’. 4 x 16mins with 3 jog recovery. Starting at MP and very marginally increasing the speed. Really pleased with the outcome – especially on tired legs from Sunday - although certainly assisted by such low wind and nice temperatures. Paces were 6:27 (spot on MP), 6:15, 6:17 and 6:13. HR rose by about 2 bpm each rep. Legs pretty buggered on the warm down. In total 16M at 6:55 pace. I still get a thrill from running a sub 90 min half before work. Followed it up with a 3M treadmill recovery in the afternoon and some weights.

5M recovery at 8:40s this morning, similar planned next two days.

Fully expecting spoons to pull it out the bag and pace me to a PB at Worcester 10k this Sunday. In answer to Joe’s question – a PB is possible, but Abingdon is definitely the A goal. As such, yesterday’s big session has certainly taken a lot out of the tank. Best of luck Joe with the race this weekend and good to see you are back smashing it at the track.

• Options
    Ironman World Championship (Hawaii) - 13th October 2018
    • JB-BR - Goal (A) - Top 15 Age Group (B) Top 25 Age Group (C) Don’t come last.
    • Sorequads - 13 week P&D/BAC - goal sub 2:50 
  • Options
    Joe - Nice track session, good luck the weekend....congrat to Katie on her PB!
    Scott - Super speedy reps!!
    Hazel / Chicksta / Dct - Good luck in Berlin!!

Another hour on the bike done this morning. Now without a car though as hire car finished yesterday (2 weeks only), my car still with police!
  • Options

Wise decision Macca.

My Telford number came too Scott. Jooligan did you register in time to be in the first sub-40 wave, or are you in the second one? It is indeed a fast course (assuming you're not sprinting for the start as they're counting down like I was last time :D) - downhill at the start, and then just a minor rise on the second lap but nothing major. And the quality of the field is insane, so you always have people to run with.

Great session Joe, and good luck for Brighton.

I would probably last 800m trying to pace you at the moment SQ! Another great session.

Hope the car is ok Steve.

Tried out a slightly faster, slightly longer run today of 7 miles. Effort felt in my normal “easy” range, perhaps a touch higher at the end. Heart rate sky high which is to be expected, but felt nice to have the legs turning over a bit quicker. Feet continuing to improve, I’m getting utterly sick of the yoga but it does seem to be doing the trick.

• Options
    So you got rid of the Snowdonia place then SQ? Another tough session from you yesterday. You've certainly put in the quality and the quantity to bag that PB
    2nd Wave for me Spoons. Should get to see you & Scott finish before I start!
    Going to be a lot of cycling then Steve - you need a rickshaw :D 
    Certainly can't be accused of sandbagging with that target Joe. You still hoping for a sub 3 marathon to finish?
  • Options
    Joe Blogs-BRJoe Blogs-BR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Appreciate that HA ;) Shame you don't ride a bike, I could ride out and we could go for a spin sometime.

SQ - good luck to you too this weekend! Conditions looking favourable? You've had a really consistent summer so signs like positive for Abo.

Spoons - good news. Stick with that yoga! I'm sure it'll pay dividends.

Jools - I think we've set some pretty lofty targets and I'm fully aware I might not hit them; everyone out there is going to be fast. In the heat & humidity the run will be slower; I've got a dream day/good day target of a 3:07/3:15 marathon. Laying my cards on the table..
  • Options

Good consistency with the bike work Steve. 

Sounds liked great progress, spoons. I’ll look into Telford 10k next year. It’s reputation is certainly rapid!

I have sold it now, Jooligan. Just couldn’t justify five weekends in a row away - also lots of school rugby at that time. Shame - as it s brilliant. 

You’re certainly well prepared, Joe. Hope all the sauna work is useful too. Do you do any workouts in there? Conditions for the 10k look mixed. 18C and 12 mph wind - hopefully blowing us to the finish. We’ll see. No pressure race - other than beating the Headmaster - that is critical. 

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Spoons: glad to see you are back running. I do find too much yoga/pilates a bit tedious - I can handle small amounts

SQ/Alan/HA: thanks for the advice guys - I've got a few months to try and locate a good deal on some of these buggies. My plan would be mainly to do parkrun with it and maybe another run at the weekend. Looks like you can pick up a baby jogger for c£200 on eBay so I'll keep an eye out on there.

Joe: I'm fine with Kona on there - think I broke the rules myself putting my 100 miler on there but no one seemed to notice :) - great HM for Katie as well and sounds like 1:26 is on the cards shortly.

Hazel: glad to hear the MP miles went well and you are feeling fresh. Bodes well for Berlin!

Chicksta/DCT: good luck getting through the last few days of taper and with all your travels. Rest up and smash it on Sunday!

Muddy: good luck with the rest of your tapering for Hull. Tiredness at this stage of taper is normal for me

Macca: sensible decision on the HM

Scott: wowzers that's a speedy session off 90s recoveries!

Jools: well done on the 10km PB - nice pic on Strava.

Managed to get out for a few runs this week to keep things ticking over. I'm planning on very loosely following a HM plan for the next few months just to give some structure to my runs when I can fit them in and I find that LT training gives me the most bang for my buck - it's adds speed at all distances for me, so I'll try and fit one in a week.
  • Options
    Good luck to all those racing Hazel, Chicksta, dct in Berlin, SQ (& Spoons?) in Worcester & Joe in Brighton.
    I backed up yesterday's HM with a flatter & consequently faster 15.5M. In fact the 2 runs were near identical times. That's my longest training run in over 4 months! Easier day tomorrow then hopefully get a decent couple of runs in over the w/e.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Anyone know where you can watch the Berlin Marathon on Sunday. I can't find it anywhere on the UK TV listings?
  • Options
    No UK coverage as far as I can tell AWC, very annoying. Watchathletics.com should have something, possibly in German though! 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Thanks spoons. Annoying as last year it was on the FreeSports channel over here.
  • Options

Joe: belated well done to Katie. Sunday was a tough day for half marathons. A friend did Vale of York and suffered badly in the wind too.

C'mon - Kona is the holy grail for anyone into endurance athletics, so it totally belongs on our list. No yellow card from me ;)

AWC: I'm with you on the LT runs. If I survive Berlin OK I want to focus on getting some speed back. No spring marathon for me (can't be bothered with long runs in cold, wind, rain and sleet). I much rather go for a few half marathons in the spring so I can do some training on the treadmill. The beauty about half marathons is that you can do a couple in quick succession as they don't take so much out of you.

SQ: Good luck for your 10k. And Spoons you too.

Jools: You nutter :D No proper marathon training and then 26.2 twice within the space of one week. You're putting in some good miles at the moment so I think you'll be fine.

Hazel: Hope you got to Berlin OK. Weather doesn't look too bad now. 22-23 degrees around 2pm - I hope we're having our well earned beers then. dct will already be on the way home as we cross the finish line :D

Bit of an injury scare for me over the past couple of days. Left hamstring has been niggling away which I put down to tapering but it got worse. After loads of stretching, foam-rollering and giving it a good going over with the spiky ball it was mega sore yesterday and I feared the worst. Applied some magic cream and took a few ibuprofens and - touch wood - it seems to be getting better. I could barely walk yesterday. Today pain is almost gone, just a teensy bit of tightness left. So, a kind of enforced 0 mileage taper but it is what it is. Generally I don't do well on rest but I used the cross trainer at the gym which didn't aggravate things. I hope I'm alright on Sunday.

Will probably try a teensy joggette tomorrow though.

Now a mahoosive pile of work to get through. Big project came in a few days ago and they wanted me to work at the weekend. Sorry guys but that's a no-no. Have to run 26.2 miles at MP on Sunday :D

• Options
    Why is there a triathlon on the list?
  • Options

Lots of you racing this weekend, will be interesting to see how everyone gets on, good luck  :)

Hope the police sort it out soon Steve and the situation can be resolved, what a pain in the ass!!

Will be good to say hi to you and Jools at Telford Spoons, we've got a fair few from our trianing group (around 10) heading up

With some of the speedier stuff you've done Jools and now adding in the endurance side should bode well for the marathon

Fingers crossed the hamstring is nothing chicksta but you've done the sensible thing

For me a mixed session on Thursday. 10min grass tempo, then a hill pyramid of 3 x 30s, 2 x 45s, 1 x 60s and back down, then a quick 1600m on the track. Tempo came out as 5:16 pace and the 1600m was at 4:50 pace. Rest day today

• Options
    That's a cracking pace on grass Scott. What's the goal at Telford? Got to be sub 35 & with consistent training I'm guessing a 33:xx
    That's rotten luck Chicksta. Fingers crossed the hamstring loosens up.
    I have form on the double marathons: did VLM the week after my PB at Brighton in 2016. I went through halfway bang on PB pace at VLM but predictably blew up to finish in 3:18. Back in 2013 I did back to back tough off roaders over one w/e in June. Was 30 minutes quicker on the Sunday though it was an easier course to be fair. Then in September I did 2 more on consecutive Sundays & PBd both courses that time with 2x 3:40! Obviously a lot slower all round but seriously hilly. 
  • Options
    Good luck to the Berliners, don't be a hambuger😀

Good luck John in Sydney.

Good luck also the Telford three and the Brighton one.
  • Options
    Target will likely be low 33:xx Jools, Pb is 35:17 but that's from age ago. The tempo the other night was bang on 34min pace but obviously able to carry that pace on for longer than that. Have Leeds a month before Telford so possibly even sub 33 will be possible by the time Telford comes around

Pacing for Berlin elites tomorrow is insane, 61 through halfway!!! I bet there's a fair few that go out at that pace and die in the second half

Undulating fartlek this morning, totalled around 7 miles averaging 6:34ish pace, tough work. 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    So I was about right then with my guesstimate Scott. That's a solid session today.
    Sorry John: forgot it was Sydney this w/e too. Enjoy it & dbs
    I did a hilly MT parkrun today. Finished in 3rd with 20:24 which is over a minute quicker than I was a year ago there. The course has been adjusted since then due to a collapsed wall & again a couple of weeks ago to avoid some building work. The first change apparently made it slightly quicker but the current (temporary) route replaces a flat tarmac stretch with an undulating grassy section including a muddy 90 degree turn followed by a steep climb & some awkward weaving on narrow paths so is probably slower: particularly as I'd opted for the Bostons rather than my Roc-Lites. Almost lost it on the corner on the 2nd lap (of 3, each one with an additional hilly section!) 7.8M with wu/cd before heading out for a 2:35 bike ride in the Brecons followed immediately by another 4M of hilly off road. Felt hungry after that lot but otherwise fine. Looking forward to 4+ hrs of running in the Black Mountains tomorrow  :D
  • Options
    Checking in to say mission accomplished - 2:58:59 in cold windy conditions but felt great and managed even splits. Now to find a site where I can watch Berlin and follow chicksta, hazel and dct.