Knee pain AFTER getting new running shoes?

Hi there,

I've been training for the Belfast marathon since September but recently I've hit a roadblock in my training in that every time I go out running recently I wind up with a sore knee afterwards.
Since September I was running on an old pair of puma shoes with a very flat sole (http://is.puma.com/pisa2?fn=/30/3035/303521/303521_01/303521_01.jpg&w=350&h=409&bg=256,256,256)
that I was told were very bad for running in- but I was doing 6/7miles, 5 nights a week without any problems.
Then as a Christmas present I was taken to a running shop& had my gait analysed&was bought a pair of Asics running shoes for someone with high arches which the girl said I had. However from the first time I ran with them I have always had a sore knee the next day. A friend suggested to take a week break so I did, but when I went running again last night I could feel knee pain in the first mile&by the end of my run it was quite sore.

Do you guys think that the new shoes could be the problem&I should go back to the old ones? Or could the damage have been done already&im only feeling the pain now that I have proper shoes?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Andrew

Comments

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Try your old shoes on the next week and see if the problem persists.  I had a similar problem when a shop said I needed neutral shoes after my first few pairs had mild support (self-selected).  After a few weeks I had really bad knee pain that would recur every time I ran.  I went back to my old shoes and after a couple of runs (where the pain was less each time) the knee pain completely disappeared.  

If you were OK in your old shoes, you have nothing to lose trying them again.

The shops analyse your gait on a treadmill for a few minutes - so its better than nothing, but its not foolproof.

• I also suffered after buying a new type of shoe so definately would advise not running in the new ones until you are sure they are OK- otherwise you could end up with an injury which could take months to resolve.
  • Don't know where you got you new trainers from.....

If you had a gait analysis in sweatshop and you try out the shoes and they are not ok- I was told you could return them within 30days.....

• If the new shoes make your knees hurt, go back to the old ones, take them in with you and ask for the same but newer! Running stores kept trying to put me in anti-pronation shoes and they made my knees hurt - neutral were fine (and the wear pattern on my old neutral shoes did NOT indicate I was overpronating, even if they did manage to find a few such strides on the treadmill in the store).
  • If you have been running in thin soled shoes your body will have been providing natural shock absorbtion. With cushioned shoes you lose all feedback from the ground. Also they can be a bit squshy if you are not used to them and so hurt your knees. I say if it isnt broke why are you trying to fix it. Go back to your other shoes and let your body do its job and not the shoes.
  • i had knee pain with my new shoes then 18 months later i start breaking in a new pair again and get the same pain aswell
  • RMD maybe its because you are making the cushioning flatter
  • Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the replies! I went for a 4 mile run in my old shoes last night. My knees were fine throughout the run but were a little aggravated today but I guess this could be because they haven't fully recovered from the weekend. I definitely felt much better in the old shoes though.

NellyMarcos my sister thought I should get proper running shoes as we had heard that running on flat soled shoes can damage your knees, pretty ironic really!

I've been told by friends that I should still get proper running shoes, so are there any that would be similar to the very flat ones I'm used to? Or is it definitely ok to continue running (on tarmac) with my thin soled shoes?

Thanks everyone
    Andrew
  • Racing flats? A new pair of your old shoes? Again, if they're okay for you, keep on with them. Try to find a park where you can do some of your running on grass; that way you can increase daily/weekly mileage without increasing pounding on your knees. As NellyMarcos said, you may be naturally adapting your stride to provide appropriate knee protection in your old shoes (e.g. by landing with a slightly bent knee) and losing proprioception with heavily-cushioned shoes may be upsetting that.

I've run a couple of half-marathons and most of my training for them in Mizuno Genesis - the absolute bottom-of-the-range shoes that proper running shops don't even stock, and which the reviews say are not suitable for long mileage, and they were fine, so don't believe all the hype about top-of-the-range running shoes - it's what suits you that counts.

Disclaimer: I'm not going to start suggesting heavily-cushioned shoes; I've just bought a pair of Terra Plana Neos (3 mm sole, no heel) and transitioned to forefoot/midfoot landing barefoot-style running.

• Asics Hyperspeeds, adidas adizero pro, brooks green silence, like debra says racing flats are what you probably want.

Debra - Neos ooooooooh lovely! I have been trying to get into my asics tigers.

• I ran the London marathon last year completely barefoot, so I did an awful lot of training with very thin soled trainers, or none at all.

But alas age and wisdom has encouraged me to purchase a good pair of running shoes, however I've also had the issue where the runs with the new shoes are giving me incredibly sore knees, I also like yourself, cannot fathom why entirely.

I dont like the idea of doing another years worth of marathon training without trainers, because as much literature states, training excessively on roads / tarmac does put strain on the knees, however apparently so does a pair of cushioned trainers!

I agree, do what feels best.

So im taking up cycling...

• I would get a second opinion on the shoes. Go back to the shop and get someone else to check them. Also try going back to your old ones and see if the pain eases with those.

Knee pain from running, especially an aching general pain is often due to kneecap misalignment, or mal-tracking. Often called patellofemoral pain syndrome.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Interesting thread.

I am running Liverpool Marathon on Sunday and was happily notching up the miles in my Saucony Omni 10s ,having bought two new pairs after the London Marathon.I kept one in reserve and as the first pair was nearing 400miles I started to use the other pair for long runs with idea they would be broken in for the marathon.

.I tried two runs and had to stop both after 15-16 miles as excutiating pain developed in the quad on the innerside of my right leg just above the knee . My physio said the tracking of my patella was misaligned and was causing this and was possibly the result of changing my shoes.I went back to the old ones and ran two more long runs without any trouble so I am going to stick with them on Sunday. Trouble is is they are pretty well shot at and need replacing and am not sure where to go from there other than going back and getting my gait rechecked to see if maybe I need to look at other shoes.Im alos wondering if the problem is a liitle more deeprooted than just the wrong shoes.  Anyone have any thoughts on thIs?Thanks

• 2old..Just a thought did you put the new shoes on just for the long runs because if you did, thats the problem. Wear your running shoes all day for a week or so and then do some small runs and build up to the long runs. Pain and injuries can be caused by the slightest adjustments in shoes....I always feel you have to 'break them in'. l am an Ultra runner but I hardly ever run on roads....because it takes me 2/3 times longer to recover from a road run as opposed to trail.

• Mathew Wilson wrote (see)

I ran the London marathon last year completely barefoot, so I did an awful lot of training with very thin soled trainers, or none at all.

Completely barefoot? Nothing on your feet at all? Lordy me! That's hardcore... Previous most hardcore barefoot runner I've encountered was an extremely tough and grizzled looking old boy running the Glasgow to Edinburgh with a pair of home made flip-flops tied on to his feet. I was totally in awe of him. And his feet looked to be in great condition.

Andrew: Some people naturally have a very light and efficient gait and can run long distances in shoes with very minimal cushioning. Sounds like you might be one of those people.

P.S. Phil & 2old: I'm not sure I agree about new shoes having to be 'broken in', especially if you're just replacing a worn out shoe with the exact same model. I would think that the better a shoe 'fits' and suits you, the less it should need to be broken in. I can take a brand new pair of my own preferred trainers straight out the box and go off for a 20+ mile run in them and know they'll be absolutely fine. No blisters, no hot spots, nothing but comfort. Of course if changing to a completely different style of trainer, e.g. from cushioned to minimalist, I'd agree with an extended wearing in period being required...

• There is an argument that there's no real evidence that gait analysed - over engineered training shoes - prevent injury.  They did studies of this in the US using servicemen who were gait analysed and given a matching running shoe and with other servicement who were just given a neutral training shoe.  There was no difference in injury levels between the two groups.

There is also a school of thought that modern (1970s onwards) training shoes that put a wedge of cushioning in the heel alters our bio mechanics, and this causes us to run differently - (heel striking for example) - which can cause injury.  Also, the support they provide actually weakens the foot, leading to other injuries.  In architecture they always put weight above an arch to make it stronger, they do not support an arch from beneath (like training shoes can do).

I'm transitioning into minamalist training shoes and I can feel the different way I'm forced to run, as opposed to the way I can run with modern training shoes.  I also remember joining the army in 1986 and we were issued plimsols (we called 'em 'slaps') and boots to run in.  I don't remember having any problems with that.

Personally, I still think running is an art, rather than a science, and I'm wary of believing what the training manufacturers and their funded science reports tell us.

I'm pretty sure that running form is more important than the type of training shoes we wear, but that our training shoes can alter our running form and cause injury.

• runs-with-dogs wrote (see)
    Mathew Wilson wrote (see)

I ran the London marathon last year completely barefoot, so I did an awful lot of training with very thin soled trainers, or none at all.

Completely barefoot? Nothing on your feet at all? Lordy me! That's hardcore... 

I did the last leg of the Cotswold Way relay into Bath next to a lady who ran completely barefoot.  She was a bit tentative on the gravel track we started on, but once she hit the first grass - on the side of steep hill - she was off like a gazelle.

She beat me, and I hear she thundered around the tarmac pavements into Bath centre.  I don't like the idea of being that minamalistic though; it may feel better and keep you more in touch with the ground, but it'll also keep you more in touch with dog poo and broken glass.

• Im having exactly the same problem. Was given a pair ov trainers second hand about six years ago. To be honest i don't even know if they are running shoes although they look like them. Adidas climacool adiprene or something. Can't even find them on internet so don't know whether they suit my feet or not but running six or seven miles caused me no pain what so ever. Since having my gait analyzed as neutral i bought a pair ov k swiss as advised by running shop. A size bigger as well as i was advised! Have had nothin but Hell since and Im lucky to get two miles before pain starts. Knees hurt ankles feel heavy pain in shin. Im gonna go back to my unknown trainers and see how it goes!
  • I've just bought a pair of ASICS after having my hair analysed. Apparently my right foot was pronating so I've ended up with these fancy shoes with insoles. After one run I've pulled an intercostal in the middle right side of my back. I'm hoping it's a coincidence and not the shoes.
  • GAIT not hair. Bloody predictive text.
  • buying shoes after having your hair analysed could open up an interesting new market. Maybe using it for DNA analysis would be more useful than just assessing if your haircut is trendy enough. 
  • Sub17ParkRunSub17ParkRun ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    So many runners incur injuries as a result of being over corrected in stability/motion control shoes that are not custom made for their arches. Neutral running shoes with custom insoles are a far better combination than stability/motion control shoes.