Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADES said:
    Iain - great news you've entered your first Ironman :)   Which club have you joined now
    Shades - it's a small local group called "so let's go running" it's about more social and more the way I want my running to go. Although the longest races they train for is HM, the speed sessions are fun but at the same time they give me the variation I need. At the moment they will be my second claim club but I don't stand any chance of finding myself in a scoring position with Kent as I'm near the bottom of a large speedy ladder.. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Rob-Will pick some up when we get back and try it before hull and see how I take to it.
    Rob-We have a few 5k's around here for that price but they are all organised by local clubs so they sell well as people like supporting the club's,but I wouldn't pay that if it was a company doing it.
    Just over 8 miles today,felt fully recovered from Sunday so all good from that.
  • Rob - Alas it does matter i cant do track ultras cos my legs die on me ;) The tight turns bugger up my hips usually

Shades - Hmm halfmile ish laps thats a lot of pizza ;) Was pondering Traviss's 100 miler at some point. Be easier than a reattempt of Thames Path 100 I reckon. TO do TP 100 i need a 50+ qualifier anyway which wouldn't happen until April at easrliest as my preferred one of that distance is Glasgow to Edinburgh
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - that's a lot for a 5k, for that price you'd better get that PB!.

Iain - your new club sounds friendly  and you can always do your long runs on your own, you often have to anyway with your work shifts.   As you're a fast runner some clubs can put pressure on runners of your ability to compete for them, not necessarily in events that really appeal to you.

Ian - enjoy your holiday, you've earned it.....no flip flops though :# ;)

Keith - I don't think I want to do a track ultra again either, my 6 hour PB is on the park route at Boston, I think you did the 12 hour that day?  And my most enjoyable 12 hour races were at Faversham, again a park route.  I don't know if there's any tight turns at Listowel, this is the running surface

Isn't Traviss's route partly off road/rough surface and concrete?   Expensive too, £140 I think, that is a lot of money.  Not sure why it's so pricey.

There seem to be quite a few 100 miler events starting up but I'm not sure what the courses are like.

8 miles flat for me, we've had rain but stayed dry for my run, much cooler and fresher today.
  • Iain my club is also not really into marathons but they do offer long runs for thise who are interested.  I'm using it for the speed sessions.

Ian glad you recovered well, I'm still a tad sore but then my legs weren't recovered before I started.

Keith, think if I was to give a 100 miler a go it would either be TP or NDW50 knowing the 1st half well of NDW is an advantage. When you said a re attempt how far did you get last time. 

Shades £140 for a 100 milers seems steep however just seen Centurion have just increased their prices but know you're very well looked after at them.  Centurion offer volunteer places min 6 hours gets you a free place on the following years event for a 50 miler (approx £85) and 8 hours gets you a free place on 100 miler (approx £150).  Makes volunteering quite well paid, have put my name down to volunteer at WW50 this year and am considering volunteering for NDW50 next year and TP100 the following year.

Less talk of 100 milers I'm doing short stuff at the moment! Reckon I'll be begging to run a marathon and ultra by the start of 2019!

Out for an easy 5 miler this morning, legs a lot fresher and will do a couple of decent runs next couple of days and get back in the gym at least once.  Pacing parkrun at 16 mins on Saturday which isn;t too taxing!    

• Robert - yeah I'm using the club for the speed sessions too cause I'm rubbish at being disciplined when it comes to speed work. 

Shades - I'm currently the fastest runner at the club but I have said that until London marathon I won't be competing in the shorter events 
  • Shades - surface looks fine there, i recall TP100 being similar to Traviss's so not that bothered at price. 3 mile or so loop his is with aried surfaces but i think the rougher bit wasn't that long.

Rob - I got to the 63 mile check point last time and was still 20 mins or so inside cut off but opte to stop as i was pretty sure i'd fail to reach next one in time.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I got a sneaky official 5K race in this evening. I wouldn’t usually do this as it was 90mins up the road in Yeovil, which is a long way to travel for a 5K, but I knew this race was a flat and fast road race. This is the 6th and last race in their summer series, and it was chip timed at the finish, although not at the start. Cost was £6. 

I had it in mind and actually didn’t do any running at all Monday or Tuesday to hopeful feel fresh, and the conditions were perfect with no rain or wind. 

I did a couple of miles warm up, and then half a dozen wheelchair racers started at 7:15 with the the runners setting off at 7:18pm. I started off obviously intending/hoping to go under 20mins and I’m delighted to say I managed an official time of 19:40. Over the moon in fact - this seems to have been a long time coming, and it’s a relief for me to finally do it. Honestly, it feels up there with any marathon time I’ve done, comparable in feeling only when I went sub-4 for the first time. Delighted!

Splits were 6:15, 6:18. 6:26, with the last bit at 6:09 pace. So you can see I did slow, but it never felt in doubt for me this evening, which is a great feeling compared with other attempts. It’s a quick race as I finished 83/216 but that helped me as I had loads of people around me, unlike at parkrun. 

Really pleased with it. Back to marathons now :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Well done on that as I know you've wanted it for a while,smashed under it.i think you'll be near 19 flat soon enough if not under.whens the sub 40 10k?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ian.  I do think I've got more in me on the right course for a 5k (not parkrun).  Sub-40 10k seems a big jump though.  I think I've commented on this before, but I do wonder about the psychology around a time goal....sometimes does that goal become a limit in some way?  I'm not saying I could have gone much quicker yesterday (I slowed in the 3rd mile after all) but I knew I was getting the sub-20 and didn't want to jeopardise that, so maybe subconsciously I eased off a bit?  Who knows!  Regardless, I'm really happy.

This morning I've done a nice 5-miler, and then I'm seeing a friend for lunch so looking forward to that.  I don't think I'll run tomorrow, but then have the marathon on Saturday.  I'm not racing that one but all being well I hope to get a sub-4.  It's the first running of the event and I'm not entirely sure of the lapped course - if it's very twisty with off road bits, that will slow me down, even though I'm not racing it.  But a sub-4 would be nice.

We've had a nightmare with the new house, but I think it's all sorted now.  4 weeks ago(!!!) we got the mortgage agreed and the survey was supposed to be done yesterday.  However, at 4:30pm Tuesday I got a call saying the mortgage company wouldn't allow me to use the solicitor I'd lined up.  Why it's taken 4 weeks for this to be found out I don't know!  Anyway, I was thoroughly annoyed with this as you can imagine, but found a comparable deal (it's actually £3 cheaper, which is good!) with Santander who do use my solicitor, so I've ditched Skipton, mainly as I've already spent money with the solicitor.  It's all sorted with Santander but they don't do a survey so I need to sort that out, but I've used a guy before when I've bought property so that's no issue.  I've been pushing and pushing the agent to get things moving (my solicitor hasn't received the contracts yet....) and this is an unwelcome delay, but I've used my charm(!!) to explain to the agent that it's not my fault and that I'm as annoyed as anyone, and she's agreed.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - a lot of ultras justify a hefty entry fee, especially for longer distances.  For an event of 100 miles you could have finishers 8/9 hours apart so the logistics of marshals/food stations/medics etc takes a lot of manpower.   These races aren't funded by shorter races either, many marathons are only viable financially by having a shorter race on the same day, such as a half marathon.  

The reason I thought the Saxon event was so expensive is that it's 27 laps of 3.7 miles with only one food station/check point/medic and it does have a few alternative shorter races on the day too, so not sure how they can justify that entry fee.

I've never done 100 miles, would be my ultimate goal, not sure if I could do it though.

Keith - I wouldn't fancy the rougher part in the dark.   My race at Listowel is laps of 1090 metres and lit at night.   I can't wear a headtorch, find them annoying and make my head ache.

Big G - brilliant, well done.   That's that goal done and dusted, I know it was so important to you and you were anxious to do it.

That 5k time equates to a 3:08 marathon ;) 

What a change in the weather today, only 4 degrees when I went out, thin long sleeved top and warmer tights.  Could have done with full gloves and warmer top.  Had a good run though as not windy and the sun came out.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - xpost.   What a nightmare with the house purchase, no wonder you were furious, especially for not letting you know earlier.  Glad it's all sorted now.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Shades, as it happens I did plug that time into McMillan and saw it equated to a PB for the marathon :)  Something to aim for.  Incidentally, I also put 18:59 into McMillan and it shows a GFA time....of two seconds!

Shades, yeah, it's very frustrating.  I don't know where the money goes for this, as the service is terrible really.  When I questioned it, Skipton just said they were snowed under so that's why it took so long to find the issue with the solicitor.  Thankfully they informed me before their survey was done, so they have promised that I'll get that money back (of course they took the money for their survey very quickly....).  My chap can do the survey early next week so in reality the delay is only a few days.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I know putting a 5k time into a calculator for a marathon time isn't a true prediction, just did it out of curiosity.  But if it shows you that the GFA time isn't out of the question then maybe a good motivator.

Just as well you've ditched Skipton, the house market is pretty slow at the moment so 'snowed under' probably means understaffed and not that bothered about dealing with customers in a timely or efficient manner.  
    I had my mortgage from my bank and they sent the surveyor out 5 days after my offer was accepted.
  • Absolutely awesome, Big G! (The 5K, not the house hassles).
    Cooler here too, Shades, though not 4 degrees. But it was cool enough that I went out in tights and didn't get too hot.
    5 miles today with miles 3 and 4 at HMP (or trying, anyway). I've set HMP at 8:45, which is what I'd need for a 1:55 half. I missed it substantially on the first mile (8:57), but it's a slight uphill mile, but I did 8:39 on the second (that's slightly downhill). I didn't feel tired but those two miles felt like I was doing a 5K. It's amazing how the same speed feels so much easier during a race. I guess it must be psychological but I'm not sure how that explains why my breathing is a lot easier at the same speed during a race. Eh...
  • Big G - Awesome stuff on the 5k PB, I know you have been after that for a while.
    Shades - Yeah patience is key for me at the moment, don't want to rush back to soon and then be out for another 6 weeks!

Another hour on the bike today! Looking forward to Parkrun on Saturday. Still no news on the car, and my hire car has now gone back....so car less for a while!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I don't think a sub 40 is that far away,I got mine off 19:52 5k,with your endurance base I don't think you'll slow down too much.
    Cal-I find HM pace very hard in training,yet in my race I had to check my pace as it felt too easy.
  • Keith sounds sensible pulling out, maybe if another 20 miles in may have been another story.  Only done the NDW50 once sub 10 hr, felt good at 48 miles but still have no idea if I will be capable of 100 ever.

Big G that's a cracking milestone achieved well done! I'm a firm believer watches and time limits hold us back too much.  My 1st ever race I didn't have a watch and went 1.34.47 for a half, just ran to how I felt, don't know how I paced it but I probably went out to fast as well..... I was speaking with my masseuse about it and said if I can get a parkrun PB on the 22nd I will run a naked (watch) on the 29th.  I have decided to do the same on 30th Dec with Buntingford 10.

Shades seen an event that I may do one year for a 100 miler... 4.1 mile loops hour cut off.  7 laps counts for 100 club, 25 laps is the 100 miler medal, if your the last one standing you win, not a winner every year as two will go off on one lap but not make the cut off.

Cal I find hitting hmp quite tough at times too, sometimes for me it's just I'm tired.

Steve hope you get the car sorted soon! Sounds recovery going in the right direction.

Ian, I too had to keep a check on my pace to ensure I didn't get faster on my half.  try hit it in training you feel like your pacing 5k!

When I put the bins out this morning it was pretty nippy, went out to run about 9.30 and it wasn't too bad.  9 miles alternate sub 9 and 8 min miles, need to do some more 8-12 mile runs instead of the 5-8 miles I've been doing recently.  Made it into the gym for 25 mins s&c.

• shades - could you post a link to the shoe comparison website? my work computer had all my favourites deleted the other week
  • Robert, I'll do that for you, it's https://runrepeat.com/ranking/rankings-of-running-shoes
    Incidentally, I had plans today: run, breakfast, drop off my laundry, Sainsbury's, lunch. What I actually did was run, breakfast, then fall asleep until 1pm. What the hell!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, glad you put "(watch)" in that sentence ;)  Yeah, I know what you mean.  When I did that 3k the other week, haven't not done one before, I just went out hard and although I did fade slightly, I was delighted with the time.  I had my watch on but didn't look at it apart from when it beeped to tell me the time I'd done after 1-mile.

Cal, HMP in training for any length of time does seem a tough session.  As you say, strange how it works as in a race I think we all perform better somehow.  I remember once I did a 5k club race on a local route and then the next week I went out and did it on my own, but didn't get near the time from the previous week.

Steve, best of luck at the parkrun on Saturday. 
  • hahah, you needed the sleep obviously not a bad thing! cheers for the link
  • Big G when I do Buntingford 10, am thinking of taping up the watch to avoid the temptation.

XC shoes any recommendations? also have in mind a muddy hilly 50 miler next year so built for comfort rather than speed.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Cal - it is so hard to replicate race pace in a training run.   The first 10 miles I ran in my race on Sunday were at a pace that I never run in training, yet felt comfortable on the day.

You must have been tired to sleep that long post breakfast.

Hope you're feeling good about your weekend races?    Is the 5k a track race?

Steve - are you waiting for the insurance company now to sort out the claim?

Robert - is that the Last Man Standing event?   That would be a tough event to try and do your first 100 miler as if you have a bad spell you won't make the cut off for that lap.  100 miles is different territory when it comes to running and you can never predict how you will feel.   

In my first 24 hour race we were going through the night, it was pouring with rain and one of the women was lying on the track, I asked her if she was alright, she said she was, although she clearly wasn't.  They carried her off the track, put her on a bed wrapped in blankets and she went to sleep.  Couple of hours later she was back on the track clocking up the miles again, think she finished about 3rd place despite the time off track.

Will be interesting to see how your 10 mile race goes without the watch.   Tape it up and switch off the alerts too.

How inconsiderate that work has deleted your bookmarks ;)  Good luck with the shoe hunting.

Rest day for me today.   

• Not a track race, no, Shades - it's in Old Deer Park so it'll be on grass, mostly. I did a parkrun there during the summer and it's quite hard underfoot. I'm not sure quite what to expect, though - the whole running festival this year is Peter Pan-themed (no idea why!) and this is the Pirate run so it could have stuff going on. I entered as it was relatively cheap, plus I get an extra medal for doing two races during the weekend. I like my bling. :mrgreen:

Having a rest today too.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - as we've had a bit of rain since then maybe the course won't be as hard as when you ran there in the summer.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rest day here too....

The Berlin Marathon website has updated their media page for 2018, and the UK is not currently listed as being able to officially see the event :(  It does say that more countries may be added though, so fingers crossed but at the moment it's not possible from the UK, unless a stream turns up on YouTube or somewhere similar.  Even FloTrack doesn't appear to have the UK listed.
    https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/news-and-media/live-streams.html
  • Shades it is Last man standing, I like the novelty factor. I'm unsure if I'll ever do 100 miles think I'd need a couple more 50s then try a 100k at least before the jump.  Good work by the lady taken off the course then back out running! Enjoy your rest day!

Cal, I'm not overly obsessed with bing myself but it does help, I usually decide on races more on the course/ budget.  I'll have my 50th bling by the end of the year.

Big G I've given up searching for berlin, will just go and do my longish run, enjoy your rest day too.

No rest day for me, however wouldn't have been the worst idea, hip was moaning a bit but planned 11-12 ran an out and back and decided at 5 miles that was enough and turned back for the 10 miles. 

Payday today and no races to enter as already done, also not rushing to buy shoes as not in desperate need.

Tomorrow is a light day 2 mile warm up to parkrun, pacer 26 mins  then probably jog back.  Sunday 15 miles alternate pace.