Sunday 16th September 2018 - I call you when I need you

Morning.

Lyrics - I call you when I need you

Lyrics are for you chicksta. Get out there and give it all you have today but most importantly enjoy. I'll be thinking of you and willing you on. 
Forecast to be a bit wet and windy here - hopefully conditions will be better for you. We go away at the end of September - counting down.

What:            probably short and asy
Why:             tomorrow is forecast to be a better weather day and I have time to run longer then
Last hard:     getting everything chosen, ordered and delivered before we go away
Last rest:      19/8

Yesterday's lyrics - Live It Up by Mental As Anything.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Good Luck Chick today I hope it all goes to plan and enjoy :)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Thanks guys. I'm as ready as can be :)

I'm going to enjoy this. It's been three years since my last one.

Looking forward to the beer afterwards

• Morning!

Lyrics: no

Will be following your progress, Chick! Hope it is fun!

What: fitness suite plus short run

Why: current Sunday routine. 

Pouring again here.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Go Chicksta! I remember those skaters on the Saturday and find it incredible some do that and then run on Sunday. Anyone who has seen Starlight Express would appreciate some of the tandem groups. |Mental as anything! Wish I could do it again but will be back for the half next April. Emz/Ale..nice running. That's a huge discrepancy Ale. I take it you pressed when you crossed the start line.  Had fun at parkrun yesterday and logged 20th place in 21.25 bagging 3rd best age grade and no blip so very happy. Tkd 6 monthly MoT and then a very liquid evening interrupted with good food with OH, her son and partner, in preparation for Swansea today....Good prep! I'm running with him and his OH under own steam. Might not be a pb :-)
    Nice miles yesterday Dustin et al...15-19...if only I had the time (and inclination)
    What: Swansea Bay 10k
    Why: Poppy will be there to cheer
    Last hard: Getting to bed this morning
    Last Rest: fesses up...Friday
    Lyrics: Don't think so

• Hoping you have a good one Chick

Swim later
    Legs tired today
    Last rest Friday
    Last hard yesterday
    Lyrics not a clue
  • I hope you have an equally good race today SC.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Afternoon!

I think Chick will be pretty pleased with herself! Well done! Hamstring? What hamstring? Enjoy the beers!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Judging from the above Chicjk has had a good one :-)

I am still here and picking up nicely, a solid parkrun yesterday with no issues and followed up today with an hours steady run.

Hope all are well

Take care
  • Great run Chick - you've still got it!
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Gratuliere Chick! Amazing result!

What: nothing much
    Why: overdid it a bit yesterday so rest today, though did a bit of cycling and chores
    Last hard: dropping a floor tile only toe then bashing my knee on the oven handle...
    Lyrics: nope

Hope your race went well too SC and you managed to meet up with Poppy.

Have a lovely evening all
  • Sounds like Chick had a great run!
    What - 8 miles trail 
    Why - (recovery)
    last rest - couple of weeks
    last hard - yesterday

• Thanks guys. Back home. Stayed in Berlin longer than originally planned but it was just too brilliant to leave early and then I fancied a burger so we went to a brilliant Route 66 themed diner.

Here's the report

I had 2 goals for today:

1. To put those DNF ghosts to rest
    2. To beat my Berlin time from 10 years ago

Boxes ticked :)
    Finished in 3:35:42 which was 20 mins faster aged 50 than aged 40.

How was the race? Set off at sub 3:30 pace because it's such a nice goal post and the organisers stuck me in the 3:30 pen. Pace felt a bit harder than I liked. It was also warmer than I liked although pretty cold first thing as we lined up. Only that didn't last. Generally I never do well in conditions that suit those Kenyans :D. But man, Kipchoge, whatta legend.

Held onto pace for the first 10k. Then I began to feel the dodgy hamstring. Oh no, thoughts of another DNF crossed my head. Please no!! Ok, calm down. Breathe. Yoga breath. No toxic thoughts. Just slow down, go with the flow and enjoy. Best decision I ever made. I loved this race. The crowds are phenomenal. Hate to say it, but London doesn't even come close. And you get so much response when you work them. High fived all the kids and waved at and danced with the samba drummers ( there were loads). And some really good rock bands too. Or just people on their balconies blasting out loud music. Effing brilliant.

In my PB chasing days I never managed to take in much. Today I laughed at signs like

Chuck Norris never ran a marathon ( it's a ubiquitous one, I know)
    Toenails are for sissies
    If you can read this you didn't train hard enough
    You're looking good ( at km 31) - I shouted "you're fucking lying" :D

I noticed

A brilliant soul singer reminding me of the great Aretha Franklin
    Jan the drummer (since 2008) - he looked about 15 :D
    A really good metal band playing Jethro Tull's Locomotive Breath whilst a girl in a dirndl played air guitar
    A black drag queen with a blonde wig and an impressive voice singing the Doobie brothers' Without Love

This all distracted me from the worrying pain down my left leg and kept me on the straight and narrow focusing to get to that finish line. Suddenly the Brandenburg Gate came into view and I had time for the final showboating episode, complete with hearts and airplane arms.

What a fantastic event. Thank you Berlin 
    :heart:

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Chick what a lovely report! Sounds like you had a great day and definitely got the results you deserved :)
  • Great report Chick! Very well done indeed! Sounds like you ran more than 26.2 miles with all the high fives etc! Bet you are on a high of your own! Hope you can walk tomorrow!
  • Evening all,

Well done Chicksta, sounds like a great run at Berlin, glad you exceeded your targets and had a good time.  

What: Stockport 10k.
    Why: It was there, I was there.

Finished in ~49 mins., felt good through the race and had no specific target in mind.  Easily could have taken a couple of minutes off that time but just taking it easy.

In terms of real life, started the Bar Professional Training Course so going to be a busy bee over the next year.  Lots of reading and work to commence already.  This should prove fruitful in terms of running as what better way to procrastinate?

Hope all of you are well, have been a silent observer for the past couple of days so will try and be more proactive.

Lyrics: No.
    Have a good day. image
  • Good to see you OL! And good to see you raced today! Was wondering if your course had started; trust it goes well.
  • Hi all....goals today....get young man round in 45-47.30 on his first 10k and enjoy the run. (New OH's 27 year old son)Think either last night's final beer or the Gregg's breakfast didn't agree with him. Kept him on track and calm until 5k and on schedule for a 45-46 when his world changed and he had to stop for some IRP. Not pretty. Got some water down him and lost 45 secs as he sorted self out. Picked back to steady pace and thought I heard a call from Poppy...not sure.  *k and he had another pit stop...hmm. Maybe a dirty glass. Rain had started to get a bit heavier and by 9k was soaked through and having flashbacks to  Severn half. Young man hanging on and with 400 to go advised him to extract the digit and go for the finish. I gave him the example to follow and I crossed in 46.59 with him 20 places later in 4730 dead. I think we could have got 45 if he had been a bit more restrained last night. Impetuous youngsters! Boxes ticked move on. IIt was a good training run :-)
    Well done Chicksta loved the report. Well run Ollie and good luck with the studies. Hope you are rested Emz. Dustin how was the trail run?