Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    ES/JB.. all the best for this weekend's races, looks a bit breezy up here on Sunday (again!).

Good speed with the buggy Padams, any buggy friendly faster courses nearby? 

Charlie.. good to see you back in amongst big miles after not being able to walk properly recently :o

TT.. thinking back it has been a stop/start year for you after that fab run in Valencia.  I'm sure you will enjoy Berlin anyway.

OO.. best wishes for Sunday, good to see the temps look a bit cooler.  I hear Hannah Oldroyd is running too (2:47 at VLM) so you might meet somewhere on the course.  She is playing down her chances but she usually does :)

Ticking over this week, double Weds, 10.5 Thurs & 5.3m today.  I've entered my hometown 10m race on Sunday - the start line is 30 metres from my house and the finish even further away at 80 metres so I couldn't resist.
    I'm helping at Parkrun in the morning but will trot a few easy miles before/after.

LMH.. going somewhere nice for your hols?  BTW I was surprised to see there were still places available at the Edwinstowe Trail Race (2/12), it is usually full by now.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Good work jools, have you get a 20 in at the weekend.

SJ - still a decent week, esp given the 1/2. No probs re solent its a long way for a 1/2.

Just 6m easy today, legs were heavy after the two mlrs, hope to bag a 20 tomorrow as i only have done 2 so far.
  • Good luck ES, JB, Wardi & OO (again)
    That's mega miles CW. Don't overcook yourself with Chester on the horizon.
    You've done a fair few 20s this year though TR & the endurance adaptations diminish slowest I believe.
    2.8M at lunch with 4/3/2/1 min efforts off 75s walking recovery after 3/4 mile wu. Legs felt a bit stiff but were going OK by the 3 minute effort. 7.2M GA this evening after swimming to make it 10 for the day.
    Parkrun+ wu/cd tomorrow should be another 10 then 17 on Sunday in the Black Mountains so monster hills.
  • Race well this weekend guys.

A lot of races don't seem to be selling out as quickly this year Wardi - I wonder if Brass Monkey will be the usual two hour window? Must be nearly time for entries to open for that?

sj - left hamstring/piriformis is still a bit niggly but getting there thanks. I'd be surprised if they managed to miss you in the photos.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Jools - maybe right, hope so, i did a few 20s in March and May.

21 slow hilly miles in 2.43 today, good time on feet. Considered another mile but didnt want to go longer than 2.45. 3 x 20s done, 1/2 mara next week so maybe another 2 more 20s after that.
  • Training coming along nicely TR.

Nicely done with squeezing a session into a short lunch time run Jooligan.

Best of luck at the local race Wardi.

Speaking of races, I did my 10K. Warmed up with 3M from the station to Hyde Park. Perfect conditions, so no excuses. I was able to settle into a reasonably decent pace, sub-6 min/mi anyway. A guy went off a bit faster, and I found myself 2nd, but I had some company in 3rd for a while. Then I dropped him with a fast 2nd mile so I was on my own with the leader 15-20s in front. As we approached half-way, I heard breathing behind me and was passed by a runner I hadn't seen before. I thought at first he was running the 5K option but he went through for the 2nd lap. We traded 2nd/3rd for the next mile or so, and then he just pulled over and stopped! I could see the leader was now a bit closer, so I tried to hold the pace for the next mile and then tried to catch him in the final stages but couldn't manage it. Crossed the line in 36:27 (splits 18:12/18:15). That's a PB although it's not officially measured but GPS was only a few metres short. Got a 20 quid voucher as a reward. Jogs back to the station at both ends plus a short plod tonight brings up 17M for the day.
  • Congratulations ES. That speedier HM training is obviously paying dividends. Very tidy splits too.
    Well done TR. Looking back at previous campaigns I've usually only done 3 or 4 20s so probably why I usually fade at the end. What's your opinion on the benefits of long bike rides for marathon training? 
    I did parkrun today with a 1.5M wu & then ran the course again as a cd then went for a 2:35 bike ride in the Brecons before another 4M straight after. Felt hungry after that lot but otherwise fine. Looking forward to 4+ hrs of mountains tomorrow :)

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    ES - good leg speed there, thats a good 10k time.

Jools - yes, i usually do more long runs but will have done 3 x 1/2s instead, so we'll see what happens. Whilst ive run my quickest 1/2 and 10m off tri training with only 100m per month running (hard turbo really helped), i dont think cycling esp long rides is much help for marathoning, which needs impact miles from running. Just my opinion though.
  • Hello, doing a spring marathon and might give this time a shot. Anyone think heart rate running and hadd approach is a good strategy ? CM
  • Well done ES.

Cartman - I don't train to HR but do mostly easy running. I trained to HR for a few years when tri training so think I have a pretty good idea of what effort I should be running - though I could be kidding myself.

Jooligan - I know you didn't ask me but like TR I never found long bike rides a substitute for long runs, they just don't stress the heart, legs or lungs in the same way.
  • Cheers TR / LMH (forgot you had a tri history too). That was my feeling too just wondered just interested in your experiences. How long does a training 20 usually take you LMH & how many would you do in a campaign? IIRC you stick to mainly flat runs don't you?
    Cartman: never followed Hadd but did only low HR training from November 17 to March this year with parkrun/XC/fell races as my tempo sessions. The results speak for themselves: PB at 5M, 10M, HM & 20M after 14 years of running. Unfortunately I've never been good in the heat & VLM was an exceptionally hot w/e after a particularly cold winter :s
  • Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    It's mainly flat where I live Jooligan and I'm not supposed to run hills because of my knees so yes, most of my training is on the flat.I usually run 20 in training in around 2.30 and I'll do loads - sometimes two in a week.

I hope OuchOuch has had a good a run as Kipchoge!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Cartman - have you pressed an 'enter' button at 2am after a few vimto's? You had best go re-read all tour top advice at the start of the thread, and learn to squeeze your toothpaste tube from the bottom.

Jools - LMH is 100+ mpw off no doubles, she is 2 or 3 long runs and 2 or 3 mlr a week during marathon build up.

6m easy here on creaky legs.
  • Hey TR - live in Boston, MA now (hence the time thing) and have just entered Boston. Until this year, I'd not done a lot of running since last being on here (10 years or so ?).. Fancy giving sub 3 a shot again, I think its within grasp but things definitely feeling tougher than last time..
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    CM - i hope you have a decent pair of winter gloves for that training then. Its tough to get back to sub3, i missed a couple of years of marathoning due to some injuries and am only just getting towards sub3 shape again.

Looks like OO had another decent day.
  • ES - nice work on the 2nd place and congrats on improving your PB too.

Jooligan - nice park running and mileage. Hope the mountains are kind (weather wise).

LMH - glad the ankle is improving. Most 20's in 7:30/mile pace is the key I reckon. Not too fast but not hanging around either. I'm only just now beginning to see that pace in my long runs, hoping I'm peaking nicely. 

TR - excellent long run and TOF. A couple more should give you a decent shot at a good result at Abo. The speed is already there as indicated by the half times. 

Cartman - I do look at my HR stats and have gone as far as printing the Hadd training guide where he discusses "Joe". 

However, I generally train by perceived effort and only use HR as a guide to overtraining/fatigue. Although again, I usually already know this!

20 more today making 60 for the week in 2:33 which continues the improvement. Managed to pick the pace up in last 5/6 miles without feeling too bad at all. Fell on my arse at 15 miles as the canal tow path features a couple of turn-over bridges made from cobbles, not much grip in the wet! Landed on the soft part so no harm done. 

That's my 7th 20 of this campaign with another couple to go. Easily my best number for any campaign. I'm not necessarily counting this as perfect prep but for me further indication of how consistent I have been this time round. 

Some run that in Berlin this morning. As LMH mentioned, hopefully OO has had a good day too. 
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    X-post TR - look forward to good news from OO then. I bet he's enjoying the beer already. I might get a couple in myself to celebrate the world record being broken... Basking in reflected glory lol
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - good work, you have to be getting close to sub3 shape, you will have had a decent block of 20s in there. I coped ok yday, but will no doubt find the distance a struggle at abo after 3 and 1/2 years since i last made a mara finish line. However its important to end that stat and ensure i dont get to Brighton with 4 years since my last one. Enjoy the beer, i had a few last night watching the T20 finsl on tv, knowing that my 20 was all done.
  • Running in the footsteps of a true great and the Berlin finishers medal had a picture/ impression of the great man - they knew something.
    Yes a decent approaching good day.  A lovely city to run a marathon if you like your history and the highlight was running through the Brandenburg Gate to the finish 500 metres disyant and then chilling with some beers on the lawns in front of the Reichstag, with bullet holes from the 1945 Battle of Berlin and all. 2.49.22 my 3rd fastest time and best of 2018. Slight disappointment as not really feeling it today and a sore knee which has been given me gyp returned at 5K. But yes have imbibed some lovely Helles beer from a craft brewery BRLO chilling again in the sun. So a 10/10 for the marathon and the city and 8.5/10 for me. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - good that you are pretty pleased, the best you can be on the day is the aim. Enjoy the beer.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    OO - fantastic result given the knee grumble, enjoy the beers.

TR - certainly feels better than last campaign (Manchester in April) when training was inconsistent and weather affected as well as a lack of focus. 

Have to run that race just once. Will have to wait for another candle on the cake before I can realistically qualify. 
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Well done OO.  Great time, and must be good to be a (distant) part of a race that will go down in history.

Cartman, must be 2005/2006 since you were on here last.  I've entered Boston (the US one) for next year as it happens.  Figured it's one of those that you have to do once in your life if you're a marathon runner.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Nice beer swilling OO and another very fine marathon too.  Hope you stay awake long enough to celebrate into the night :(

Nice long run SJ and a decent total for the week.  Good to hear of a soft landing!

TR.. good work on that 21 miler, is it Gosport next week?

Jooligan.. a good mix of exercise yesterday, no wonder you were peckish!  Hope you enjoyed the mountains today.

ES.. congrats on the 10k PB, 2nd place is a good reward too.

Good to see Cartman popping back in.

After Park Run marshalling yesterday I trotted out a steady 4 miler to keep the legs ticking over.
    Hometown 10 miler today, after a slight disappointment at the half last week I decided to go for sub 75 as an 'A' target.  It was forecast to be quite windy from 6m to the finish though we didn't get rained on as the BBC predicted.  I was just inside target up to 7m then a particularly blustery mile 8 including a hill lost me about 20 seconds.  I went through 8m in bang on 60 mins so 2 x sub 7.30's into the wind were required.  In the end I had to bury myself in the last 500m to get the 'close & a cigar' time of 74.56.  Good enough for 3rd place in the senior coffin dodgers.  Added 5.2m on afterwards to make 57m for the week.

Happy enough with that so I will be joining the beerio swillers myself later. 
  • You could try the ballot sj? It's on my bucket list and a possibility for next year (as long as Mark doesn't change his mind). Sounds as though your consistent training is paying off. I try to finish each quarter of my long runs with a lower average pace than the one before or to at last negative split. Glad you didn't hurt yourself when you feel.

Hope your knee is nothing serious and you recover well OuchOuch.

You are not going to find the distance a struggle TR.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    SPOs brother just moved from Boston to Florida, i could never justify the dosh to go race there, im a cheap skate runner and only race anywhere i can drive to on the day.

SJ - indeed, ive preferred training through the summer for Abo more than the winter for vlm.

Wardi - good racing esp hitting target a week after a 1/2. No,  gosport is 4 weeks after abo (abo is 5 weeks away), next sunday is Solent 1/2, not as quick as gosport but it should give  me a better indicator of abo fitness than last weeks trail 1/2.
  • Thanks for the insight into your training LMH. 2:30 for 20M isn't plodding & for a progressive run you must be shifting by the end.
    Top racing OO. With a knee issue rearing its ugly head after only 5K that's a gutsy performance. Surely worth more than the 8.5/10 you gave yourself.
    Enjoy that cigar Wardi (& the ale): well earned. I'm up in York tomorrow & Tuesday for a course in Heslington.
    The Black Mountains were Welsh: Wet & Windy with rubbish visibility. Got round OK though so 17.6M with 4,700ft of ascent in the bag brings an end to the week: 88M & 9,000ft
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Cracking stuff, true grit and a good week's mileage Jooligan.  Heslington/York Uni is very spread out so I hope you have a reliable postcode ;)  The Heslington park run course is a nice flat run by the lake if you have time for a jaunt.  By coincidence I was talking to today's winner (Graham Rush) who is doing a PHD at York Uni.  He did remark that he wasn't looking forward to becoming classed as a Veteran at 35, to which I thought 'I should be so lucky' :)
  • OO - sounds like a great day, and you can't complain too much with a "season's best" this far into the year with all the racing you've been doing. Kipchoge might have progressed to "top club runner" on the Pugometer with that one!

Cartman - not answering your question (which I have no useful input on), but when training for Boston make sure you do plenty of fast downhill running on tarmac/concrete to prepare your quads for the pounding of the first few miles.

CW - if you followed my training plan you'd probably be faster at 5k, but a lot slower at mraathons!

TR - another solid long run there, looking good.

ES - great work in the 10k and nice to work that into 17M for the day.

SJ - another good 20, seven is those with a couple more to go sounds ideal.

Wardi - great run there, got to be pleased if you hit your A target. There's a parkrun in Watford that's reasonably fast but on a bit of a slope that I suspect would make it slower with a buggy. The problem is you need all of the following for a fast buggy course:
    - flat
    - tarmac
    - no more than 2 laps, or a wide enough tarmac path to make lapping people easy

Actually, Poole would be good (which is where I grew up and have family/friends down there), but I don't get down there very often. I'll remember to take the running buggy next time I'm there and see if I can get closer to 16:59.

All I did training-wise at the weekend was parkrun with the dog (plus 1M jog there and back). She was going nuts at the start and was pulling ridiculously hard for the first km. We then got into the lead and she settled down (nothing to chase), but then started pulling again when someone came past. That happened a couple more times until tired and the last mile must have been closer to 7 mins than 6. 18:15 overall for 3rd place.

I think she could easily do around 16 mins if she didn't pull so hard at the start, probably even faster if it was cooler. Will try again soon - I actually think it would be better to start really fast to get into the lead so that she's not chasing anything.

• ES - great racing and really nice splits, looks like a well paced effort.

OO - you should be really pleased with that, a seasons best and a cracking time. Nice work.

Wardi - you earned those beers, and another good week in the bank. 

Padams - does she just pull and then knacker herself out so has to slow down? Would be interesting to see how fast you could go at an even pace. Would it be faster than if you were running without her?

Surprisingly managed to win the Brighton triathlon yesterday; certainly wasn't expecting that. Swim was a bit tasty, pretty big swells meant we got thrown all over the place. Was just happy to get out of the water in one piece. 

Got my head down during the bike leg and took the lead at around the halfway point. It was an 8 lap affair, so you could see where the competition was on the out and back section each lap. I ended up riding 59:21 for the 25 miles - happy to sneak under the hour for the first time. 

Very surreal starting the run in the lead and having a lead bike to follow behind. It was nice to be able to run a controlled race and not having to run like a madman straight out of transition. Ended up extending my lead slightly and running 37:58 for the 10km with some reserves left in the tank. Probably the first and last race I will ever win!
  • Congratulations Joe!

Did my first long run in a few weeks this morning Jooligan, after 5 miles my average pace was 7.29, after 10 7.25, after 15 still 7.25 (I often have a slightly slower third quarter) and when I finished (with a bit of effort in the last mile) 7.21.

Sounds as though some more training is required Padams (as in obedience for the dog - not you!)

I much prefer training for an autumn marathon too TR.

Somehow missed your report earlier Wardi - well done.