Snowdonia Marathon 2018

Comments

• Hope everyone's training is going well. Autumn appears to have arrived which can only mean one thing...the mighty Snodders is nearly upon us again...yeh!!!
  • Since the Ibiza Marathon in April this year, I've only run any significant distance just the other week when I ran almost 33 miles at a Phoenix Running event.

Week before SNOD18 I'm running the Kings Forest 50k. But I've long stopped chasing times. It's all about enjoyment.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    50K a week before SNOD?  That's insane.

Hi everybody.  I survived my jaunt in the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons.  It was the first running of a new 53-miler and looking at the route I thought the 15-hour cutoff looked a tad severe and so it proved to be.  Took me over 19 hours.  Happily they let me stay on the course because they didn't want to appear mean and also the 100-milers, who had started 12 hours before on the Friday evening, were all still out there anyway.  In fact the first 100-mile finisher came in very soon after me!  31:++ hours

It was tough on the mountain tops.  You went into black clouds at about 1500' so I had my first experience of what it's like to be 1000' plus up inside a storm cloud.  Not at all pleasant.  Pouring with rain, visibility 2-3 metres, wind so strong you could hardly stand up, and very cold.  I had to put my jacket on which is unusual for me.
  • T Rex, I ran my 50k PB on the Saturday, after running a marathon on the previous Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. :) I did rest on Thursday and Friday :)
  • Good training for Snod conditions there TR ex!
  • Are we at the stage when we declare target time (or no target if that is the case)?
  • Yes Fenland,

You go first and we'll all follow!   :D:D
  • Well, my true aim is too finish. However, if pushed for a time, perhaps sub-4:20 would be bronze, sub-4:10 would be silver and absolute miracle gold would be sub-4.
  • ...so put me down for sub-4:20 :)
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Time to get The List organised.  I found this from back in the winter, along with some target times that you must have posted at some point!!  I've also assumed that people looking for places have managed to find them ...

The Single
    • brer rabbit
    • Brickhill Runner
    • Chimney   Sub-4:00
    • CSMLFC
    • dave turner 5
    • Fenland_Runner_plus  4:15
    • Gringo WBA
    • Hobie  1495   4th SNOD
    • InsideForward
    • jasond2
    • John Bach   3:30-4:00
    • Mc Hilly
    • mr panad
    • Pete Thomas 6    sub-4:30
    • Reydon Rover
    • runwithmysetter
    • The Lazy Greyhound
    • TrailRunner22    sub-2:50
    • Ultra Disco Stu  3:07

The Double

• ?

The Triple

• ??
    The Quad
    • ???  T Rex

• The leaves are turning, the mornings are getting chilly and now the list is back - must be that time of year again! Put us down for a sub 4 TR - plenty of miles done this year but no pace so nicking under the 4hrs would be fine.

Well done TR on completing your long day in the mountains. We will have to sort out when and where your Beddgelert tuck shop needs to be this year.

Toying with the idea of doing the November Nightmare 10 marathons in 9 days next year - anyone done one of these sort of events? If so any training tips greatly appreciated. It starts the weekend after SNOD so can I get away with the annual jog round the mountain or is that pushing it? 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    The LG - loony tendencies forming nicely, there.  Brer is the one to ask about 10 in 9.   She's the expert!  Are you in Bedgellert again, and would be able to meet me in the same place?  We are going to have to find a hiding place for some of the drops, though.

That Beacons 50 report only an outline.  The full one will come in due course.
  • I can’t believe T Rex suggests that running 50k the week before SNOD is insane..... given that T REX will run more than that before breakfast on SNOD. I’ll hang on a bit before having a guess at how slow my time will be. My Achilles is an ongoing niggle so the  longest runs I’ve done recently are a couple of 15milers in August, and am doing Chicago marathon in a few weeks time, so I’ll see how that goes before guessing my SNOD time!
  • :D :D :D I thought that too Mc Hilly (pot calling th kettle black)
  • Yep, will be in Beddgelert again although different digs so might not be able to sneak out in the small hours. If you have a think about your ETA's and then we can sort out a plan.   
  • No Snod for me this year sorry! Have put all my eggs in the Chester Marathon basket so will be enjoying some down time after that. Have enjoyed keeping up with the thread and will see you next year!
  • I managed to sneak 3:56 last year so aiming for sub 4 again this year...has anyone got the pace guides?
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    This would be my pace guide:

Miles 1-5   9:20
    Miles 6-13    8:20
    Miles 14-22  9:00
    Miles 23-24     13:00
    Miles 25-26.2  8:50

TOT 3:59:46 

• BOO! Late request from guess who. I don't suppose there are any places released for grabs are there? Things have changed where I would be able to make a showing. When's the deadline for transfers? I can't find anything on the website.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    The LG - thanks for the offer!   My estimated times for arrival at Beddgelert rendezvous would be: Fri 1720; Sat 0010; and Sat 0650.  Wouldn't expect you at 0010 but is 0650 a bit too early as well?  We can always hide supplies behind that wall or in another suitable place.  My main need will be water, probably about 4L in total at Beddgelert.

I am wondering how to meet a hot food requirement at halfway, which will be about 0315 in Llanberis.    Any takeaways likely to be open??
  • That should be fine and when I see you for your 17.20 stop we can arrange where to stash your night supplies. Think the chances of finding a takeaway open at 3.15am are zero!

BN - the transfers end 30th Sept according to their Facebook page. I would keep an eye on Facebook as places do seem to pop up on there. 

• Thanks TLG, I'll go on Facebook tonight when I get home.
  • I have a place for Snowdon for sale, unable to run due to injury.
  • The leaves are turning, the mornings are getting chilly and now the list is back - must be that time of year again! Put us down for a sub 4 TR - plenty of miles done this year but no pace so nicking under the 4hrs would be fine.

Well done TR on completing your long day in the mountains. We will have to sort out when and where your Beddgelert tuck shop needs to be this year.

Toying with the idea of doing the November Nightmare 10 marathons in 9 days next year - anyone done one of these sort of events? If so any training tips greatly appreciated. It starts the weekend after SNOD so can I get away with the annual jog round the mountain or is that pushing it? 

I'm doing it this year, well a shorter version as popping over to Pwllheli for an ultra to finish the week off. Well LG, you know my track record so my advice may be too insane for you :wink:

• Hi Brer, any tips (no matter how extreme) greatly received. Are you doing the Sat day and night pumpkin spooky double this year?
  • TooTall, sorry to hear of your injury. Is your place still available? I asked on Facebook and no response as of last night.
  • TooTall I've messaged you (change of plan).
  • Wow i totally forgot about the annual RW Snowdon Marathon discussion.
    Here's for another successful getting around the Welsh Wall.

It will mean i have completed a quarter of a century of Bwlch Y Groes.

Training has gone well so far, and boy does the race come around fast.

It only seemed like last week i was talking to Iorwerth.
  • BritNick, No problem, think I have a buyer now.
  • > @Number108 said:
    > Wow i totally forgot about the annual RW Snowdon Marathon discussion.
    > Here's for another successful getting around the Welsh Wall.
    >
    > It will mean i have completed a quarter of a century of Bwlch Y Groes.
    >
    > Training has gone well so far, and boy does the race come around fast.
    >
    > It only seemed like last week i was talking to Iorwerth.

I am really looking forward to the race this year, and i am now one of only nine entrants who has completed more than 23 consecutive Snowdons.

Here's for another enjoyable afternoon of torment.

Mr REX, put me down for the collection of my 24th piece of slate.

As for finishing times, NO Plans, just going for the taking part and enjoyment, and chasing Iorwerths race tally.

Might take a while yet, but i should have 25 under my belt, and i have time on my side.