Berlin Marathon 2018

2»

Comments

• ToomaiToomai ✭✭✭
    Tim Synge said:
    Tim Synge said:

5. Watch Union Berlin, the 2. Bundesliga side, playing at home. The fixture list has just been released. There is a possibility that they may play on the Sunday (TV scheduling), but if they have a Saturday afternoon fixture, go and watch this before visiting your local Italian restaurant in the evening. Union Berlin is in the old East Berlin and is a real grassroots supporter-led club. The match atmosphere is great.

Match now confirmed as 6:30pm on the Friday evening.
    I bought a ticket direct from Union Berlin, with a print at home option, for only 15 euros. That’s Friday night sorted. Saturday evening Italian restaurant reservation has been made. Think I’ll be doing the 6k breakfast run on Saturday morning and a few tourist sites Saturday afternoon. The marathon weekend beckons. I could crush a grape.
  • > @Baliviann said:
    > Hello, this is my first Berlin marathon. Does anyone know if there is a possibility to get my supply (isodrink, gels,...) somewhere on the parcour? My brother joins me and he wants to give me my supps

> Thank you!

There are regular hydration and fuelling points throughout the course. Roughly, 1-2 every 5km. They have water at every station and carbohydrate drink at 2/3 of those. This year, they're offering a new carbohydrate drink - Beetster. I'd recommending ordering some and trying it before race day just to make sure you're accustomed to it.
  • > @oligoschow said:
    > Going to be my first marathon ever and since I was born in Berlin I'm particularly excited for it. Any tips/advice/things you would have liked to know for a first time runner?

How is your preparation going @oligoschow?
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    On the course fluids and nutrition - from the marathon website.  Looks pretty decent.

Fluid and Nutrition Stations with Water, Tea* (warm & cold), ultraSPORTS Beetster, bananas, apples are located at following KM-points: 9 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 36k

The first 4 aid stations are on both sides of the course (9 - 15 - 20 - 25k)

Refreshment Stations with water are located at KM-points as follows: 5 / 12 / 17,5 / 22,5 / 27,5 / 32,5 / 34,5 / 38 / 40k
    (at k 40 there will be tea and also ultraSPORTS)

In the Gelzone at k 27.5  there will be offered ultraSPORTS ultraGel with flavours Cola+Coffein and Berry.

ultraSPORTS Beetster

Beetster is the first natural carbohydrate performance drink based on concentrated plant power from beetroot, ginger, lemon balm, grape peel and various other extracts. Taurine and the natural caffeine from green tea give you an extra kick. The fruity training and competition booster is vegan, free of fructose and lactose.

The Beetster at a glance:

• Used during high physical exertion in training and competition
    • Contains 500 mg taurine per serving
    • Contains 8 mg natural caffeine from green tea per serving
    • Is fructose-free, lactose-free & vegan
    Arriving too late on Friday for the footie, but will sight see on Saturday in preparation for the B-a-n-g on Sunday. First time I've visited Berlin, can't wait. 
  • ToomaiToomai ✭✭✭
    zthirsk said:
    Does anyone know if you need to show a signed Doctor's note or similar? Or when they say you need a medical, is that more of a recommendation? If anyone can help that would be great!
    You definitely do not need a doctors note.
  • I need to get back to my hotel quickly after the Marathon to check out. Does anyone know if easy to get out to the Potsdamer Plaza area after the race? This is South East to the finish while everything seems to be heading you North at the end.
  • You can just walk through the Tiergarten to the south, and if you need to cross the race route at Potsdamer Platz, there's a subway down to the station you can use to go under the street.
  • Quick drop in: its a few days yet but the weather forecast is currently showing it might be a hot one.  Pretty wild variations depending on where you look with between max. 18 and and max 28 degrees forecasted for 16.09. at the moment.  A heatwave ruined my spring mara so all fingers and toes crossed for the former!

Hope everyone's tapering well.
  • Eeeek, who's excited! Just wondering why this discussion is so quiet, there must be loads of you on here doing it. 1 week to go :)
  • @HazelnutCH Nooo don't say that, I don't want another hot one after London!!
  • I was expecting this to be a hot marathon as the race date has been moved forward. If as forecast its 14C sunny at 9 am and 17C at midday then I will happily take that.  A 10m with 5m @mp tomorrow then a few easy 4-5 milers, then all the training done.   Arrive, in Berlin on Friday, pick-up number, a bit of sightseeing on Saturday and a few beers and then off we go.
  • is anyone else going solo and fancy meeting up for food/drinks?
  • One question, do you know if headphones are allowed?
  • Looks like its warming up for Sunday!  Buggers up my plans for a PB attempt fast marathon but it will make those cold post-race steins all the more welcome.
  • I guess we can only take the weather that we get.  I am not looking forward to the likely chaos at the water stations though.   I was also hoping for a new PB but if its warm to hot then that is unlikely. 

Seems a few people are keen to get to the beer!  ;)  For me one small one before and afterwards we will see.  Beer is also known as liquid bread so that surely must be good for us?   I'm arriving on Thursday evening already and staying until Monday morning.   Expo on Friday and a bit of relaxed sightseeing on Saturday. 

oligoschow:  I just found this (below "Use caution on the course"...): https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/race-week/participants-info.html#page/19
  • Can anyone tell me if there are mile markers, or only KM? Thanks
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Last time I did it Badbark there were mile markers every 5m.  I don't actually mind km markers as they seem to wizz by more quickly :)
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Cheers Wardi, beyond taking some toilet paper with you the start (yewch) any other Berlin specific tips.  
    Hope everyone is feeling good with the carbo-loading about to start...and good to see the temperatures falling back a touch.
    I am in pen B, with a black Newquay Road Runners shirt on if anyone else is in there and wants to say hi.
  • So to sum up my weekend was a mini disaster🙈, started at Manchester Airport.. passed through security then realised I had left my bag at pre queuing area where everyone puts liquid and gels in the clear bag! Tone was set!
    Choose the wrong Italian to eat the spag Bol the night before! Tiny portion in comparison to the usual carb load meal!
    Morning of the race... I realised my watch had not charged overnight faulty USB 😱 and my friend was in a separate pen (my usual pace setter)! Therefore I had to run the first half of the course with no idea what my time was as I didn’t register what time I set off!
    Then mile 1 I lost two gels out my belt.. panic 😭! Then gel one happened to run right through me enforcing 2 unscheduled toilet stops (didn’t happen in training) throw in the stifling heat my dreams of a PB went up in smoke,!
    I was hoping for a 3:50 to 3:55 but realistically I know my speed in my runs just hasn’t been there this training period but thought or hoped it would be there on the day!
    I came over in 4:07... I knew it wasn’t great with 2 miles to go when the inevitable fading starts to happen.. I left myself too much to do.. I was running scared
    Scared of the heat, scared I was going to get cramp early scared I was running too quick! I ran within myself!
    Kick in the teeth but massive lessons learned.. one positive is I did not get cramp at all (used the magnesium / salt tablets every 5k) and I ran without stopping (not counting the toilet) for 24 miles!! I know I am capable of 3:45 in time I just need to get more consistent now and carry on instead of having an enforced break early this year! New York in 6 weeks to try and restore some pride if I have anything left in me...
    Then the Conwy half (10 year anniversary) to finish off race season!
    3 majors down London, New York and Berlin done 3 to go.. added bonus of doing NYC again..
    Next year hoping Chicago but with the new arrival expected in spring 👶🏼 Might have to delay that idea.. I’m 33 I want all 6 by 40 so plenty of time!
  • Sounds like just making it round was an achievement Sterrobobo with everything that was going on! I can relate to the scarred feeling, always intended this would be the one to break three but a combination my body not holding up to speed work throughout the training cycle and setting off way to fast in Stockholm last year left me going through the first half overly cautiously. Was still pretty happy with my race ran a negative split and just missed a PB by a minute or so which considering the build up I can't grumble at.

Really enjoyed the weekend though, the first of the big six I've done and just tbought the whole buzz within the city was brilliant. Having been a bit daunted initially by the size of it I'm definitely up getting through a few more of the big uns! Question though is it normal practice now at these big races not to get a free t shirt? 
  • Sorry to hear it didn’t go so well Sterobbo, I’ve been there before.

Berlin was my first major, and 8th marathon in total. While training had gone well, a two week break in July due to holiday, and a number of irritating niggles during the taper, not to mention a very drunken family wedding just one week before, had me a bit concerned.

i needn’t have worried, the race went like clockwork. Started out at my planned 7:20 per mile pace and pretty much kept to that until the 22 mile mark. Slowed a little after that but nothing disastrous, finishing in 3:15, taking 3 minutes off my PB. An unscheduled pit stop meant I was a few seconds over 3:15 rather than a few seconds under but I’ll happily take that at 48 y/o. Would like to do more majors as I found it a great experience, but next stop is a trip ‘home’ for the Belfast marathon next May.