Monday 24th September 2018 I'll sing myself to sleep

alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Training
Morning!

Lyrics: I'll sing myself to sleep
A song from the darkest hour

Tried counting sheep as well: bad night's sleep because of toothache...have had it ever since I went to the dentist on Friday when I got the all clear!

And hope Wabo isn't too sore post-ride. Hope it wasn't too wet! And hope you can do what the title says!

What: short run/fitness suite

Why: seems to be what I do

Cold here: heating came on in the night.

Be careful, WP!

Good to see you Don: yes, pop in daily...far more important than running a school!

And hope you are ok RFJ!
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics were Sunday by Iggy Pop.

Toothache is not nice Alehouse, I hope it settles quickly.

Enjoy Poppy.

What:             whatever the legs are up for
    Why:              I don't want to injure or make myself ill before my holiday
    Last hard:      yesterday's run was far harder than it should have been
    Last rest:       19/8

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Welsh: Fingers crossed! Hoping it is all going to plan, steady away though don't be too expectant, need an update.
    Don: Busy chap there Don! Some cracking miles there, interested to hear about the ultra, it's quite tense just hearing about it.
    OH: Loch Ness marathon sounds interesting. Intrigued.
    LMH: As you say we are not running robots. On the flip side it is actually helpful or reassuring that an experienced and decorated runner such as yourself has off days. I'm glad you have shared that, it actually helps other (me anyway) to hear that, soetimes these things are helpful than positive talk, if you know what I mean, hope you know what I mean?
    Emz: That's terrible. You must be steaming with fury.
    Chicksta: Cracking hangover! Excellent skills deployed there burning the hangover off there.
    Ale: I know the feeling of having treatment then feeling worse (hernia op). Regarding teeth I have a fancy pants dental implant for two upper left molers, that dropped off Friday at 4:55PM, dentist shut at 5PM, so I'm poised with the dentist on speed dial this morning. Hope you can get yours sorted.

What:Was intending 7 yesterday, but did 10 instead as was feeling fine, so it 15 Sat, 10 Sun so tonight will be a 6 (maybe 7).
    Why: Monday is a 'just to get out' run after working from home for the day.
    Lyrics: Ale, you are the nostalgia-meister! There was a certain action we used to do to this in my day, (those actions make me cringe now, but everyone did so it was fine).
    Weather: Pleasent

• Alehouse - yeah haha one must get ones priorities in order!  We don’t have a chaplain just now so I am in the pulpit every morning - preparing a daily talk for that is surprisingly time consuming!  At least I get to sing all my favourite hymns, which are upbeat and modern.  

Benjy, it is tense!  I am really nervous now, even two weeks before it.  This is 95% off road and loads of climbing so I just don’t know what to expect!  A great weekend of running from you, well done.

Hope you get a decent run in LMH, and hope it’s a nice day for it.  Perfect weather up here, still and cold.

Lyrics, I am getting something but alas, no.

• Morning all, 
    Ale - hope the tooth soon settles. Worst kind of pain in my book.
    Don - yes come on, priorities!!
    WP - great news about the injury recovery
    Emz - that is just rude. I'd be furious.
    LmH - hope today's run is better than yesterday!

What - easy miles
    Why - recoverey
    last rest - 3 weeks
    last hard - yesterday. South of England road relays at Crystal Palace. 6km loop starting and finishing on the track. 
    Pleased to have a full Senior, V40 & V50 team plus two ladies teams (no vets).
    Always a debate over who runs what leg, in the end I was on 3rd. 
    The 40s and 50s evenly poised I thought: one sub 17 5k runner in the V40s, one slower guy (~23 mins) but the other two plus the V50s all 18-20. So we had a race within a race between us...
    Leg one saw the quickest V40 ahead of the quickest V50 by a couple of minutes, leg two runners pretty much even so the lead preserved. I was up against the slower V40 on leg 3 and managed to reel him in and give our leg 4 runner about a minute lead. Proved not to be enough as the "youth" overcame "experience" by about 30s. Great fun though. Felt sorry for the juniors as it was torrential from early morning until midday, for the ladies it was overcast and we ran in bright sunshine! 
    Sad thing was the state of disrepair of the stadium and facilities at Crystal Palace. This used to be the home of UK Athletics: took the kids to see Bolt, Farah & Ennis run there, but now it all looks a bit sad.
  • Real shame to hear that about Crystal Palace Dustin, it is cultural icon of the UK, just the name itself evokes an image of regency and 'britishness'. When I was a kid up North (in our clay huts with cows in the living room to keep us warm) when you heard Crystal Palace in the news and media the vision of a grand ice palace came to mind. Needs investment before it gets to a point where some officials say it is too expensive to maintain and knock it down.
  • Morning again!

"Nostalgia", Benjy? These lyrics are modern in my book! With you and Dustin on the Crystal Palace comments, although it was a bit of a nightmare to get to...and worse to get away from. There was an article in this week's Athletics Weekly about the dire state of the place, with photographic evidence. 

Re the toothache, it isn't actually a tooth that is the problem but where the dentist has prodded and poked about at lower left 7 where he removed the tooth and root last year. 

Was colder than I thought this morning: still ice on the windscreen at 8:30. 

Glad the relays went well, Dustin

Don: I used to have to deliver two or three assemblies a week and they are a pain to prepare for...but I did it when I was deputy having had the job delegated to me. When I was head I delegated it also, and also got in a few regular talkers, including the local rector who on one occasion brought in a large box, called me to the front and asked me to open it in front of the school: out jumped a couple of hens that proceeded to cluck around the hall. You try to settle 300 or so 4 to 11 year olds after that! Can't remember what his message was though!

Anyway, training done and dusted for today, so nothing now until Ron Hill's birthday race tomorrow evening, which I will take steadily.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Afternoon
    alehouse hope your pains ease, glad you've got your training done, tell you all about the ride...
    WP I am excited for you!!!
    Benjy, seems the stabbing pain must have eased, glad to hear it
    LMH where will you be holidaying? 
    Dustin that is sad about Crystal Palace indeed sounds like you had a good day.  Re the weather we once went to a race where although cold it was sunny for the women, by the time the men went off it was a snow blizzard! We did feel sorry for them

Alehouse what a fiasco! We arrive at the ride venue (Penn) only to find that registration didn't open till an hour later (oh did get an email the night before but skim read). So we had an hour in the van debating, shall we, will we, will he do 80?  The 100 was cancelled due to the weather. We actually left the venue and drove 5 miles - don't know about anyone else but I cant stand cycling in the rain! It wasn't meant to rain till 1.00 but didn't stop all morning. I said to OH you know we will feel bad all day for not riding, round he turns! We both did the 30 (was a tad shorter). It was not fun at all, one hill saw me get off and stop.  I didn't want to but was going so slow and needed to un cleat which resulted in the stop! OH went up and down 3 times and ended up taking my bike and guiding that up while I jogged on tip toes!! BUT it was the right thing to do, we both agreed we were much happier and the goodies were immense.
    BUTT not to sore thanks alehouse :smile:

Did a 7.5 mile run in the rain as well yesterday, me and buddy training for tring, we managed to run a minute mile quicker!!

What: only a mile
    why: QoP this evening...
    last hard: the whole weekend
    last rest: 31/12/16

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Not my idea of fun, Wabo! And I take it you know the lyrics!
    4th March 1972 is a date that sticks in the memory for not only was it my mother's birthday (and Don's I think!) but the men's National cross country at Sutton Park. I ran in one of the age group races and nearly got sunstroke; by the time the seniors got under way it was sleet, snow, freezing wind. Ron Hill still goes on about it as just about the worst conditions he has ever raced in, although he was one of the lucky ones; sadly a couple of officials had heart attacks and died.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I googled them Alehouse! Thankfully I can :wink:
  • Lyrics: Yes...not sure about that choice Ale :-)
    Emz: How very rude
    WP: Good luck and great news that it's off.
    Dustin: Bit of a curate's egg day then for one and all shame about the dilapidation of such a venue.
    Ale and LMH do be careful. Enjoy that holiday LMH. Chicksta: Just the three? OH: Kirkwall news appallling
    Well what a weekend. A few ales consumed on Friday finishing with live music and house IPA in Pugg Ugly's...what a hoot. Saturday parkrun at Belfast Victoria taking it steady - pacing a certain lady to a parkrun pb of 31.16. I finished exactly one step behind (As a gentleman does) and recorded 31.21 errrr. So off for sightseeing food beer and more live music at McHugh's basement cellar (Oldest pub in Belfast) watching a popular Scottish combo the Lafontaines do their stuff. Restrained as had a half mara to run.
    Forecast dismal but woke up to clear sky and sun! 8 degrees and dry...perfick! Walked to Ormeau Park and discovered no Garmin on wrist despite HRM on chest. Bugger. Found a couple of lads who wanted a sub 2 and decided I could pace them safely as they both had Garmins and at that pace there could be no issues. Despit the twins needing a pit stop took then round in 1.54 so happy days all round. Hammy not too niggly and no blips so all in all a good day out. Weather gods kind and a great weekend. Now to think about Forest Half this weekend - remembering my watch and running a half decent time.
    What: Recovery plod
    Why: Weekend detox
    Last Hard: Realising I'd forgotten my watch
    Last Rest: Stroll round Belfast yesterday. Is it me or could they be related to Andy Murray?
    Image may contain 3 people including Mark Williamson people smiling people standing shoes sky and outdoor
  • What a lot going on over the weekend,

Wabo oh gosh to both you and OH  but well done on cycling in that weather!!

SC: Great result and top marks on pacing duties on both days I am so pleased no issues but they were slow for you:-)

What: 4.11 miles
    Why: Because foot is healed and body said lets do this!
    Last hard : Past 7 weeks/stress this morning over will the foot hold up.
    Lyrics; Yes

I only expected 1/2 a mile or maybe a mile so I am over the moon to get 4 miles under my belt .The prom is flat at Aberafan 9m elevation!! The comeback has began :)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ale: Sorry to hear the tooth is playing up. Agree with others. It is the worst sort of pain. Frost on the car? Oh my word ...

Benjy: Hope you got those molars fixed. Impressive mileage.

LMH: Hope you had a nice run and are feeling better.

Dustin: Sounds like a great event. Shame about the state of disrepair at Crystal Palace.

wabo: Sounds like a good compromise.

SC: Bummer about forgetting the Garmin. Things like that feature frequently in my weird dreams leading up to a marathon :)

Poppy: So glad the foot held up! Brilliant!!

What: 5k on the treadmill
    Why: wet and windy
    Last hard: that was a bit - I feel washed out and tired
    Last rest: 17/9
    Lyrics: no
  • Excellent news Poppy - let the comeback commence:-)

Benjy - if I give the impression that all of my runs are effortless and enjoyable I'm sorry - it's definitely not the case (though with running everything easy sometimes the hardest part is getting out of the door - I know I'm in trouble when I find myself cleaning the bathroom when I should be getting out for my run!). Having said that today's couldn't have been more of a contrast to yesterday's, happy bouncy legs, happy head, could have kept going forever if I didn't have to get back to go to work. Hope you managed to get that dentists appointment. Loch Ness is a lovely marathon, they run a 10k and half at the same time too.

I know what you mean about feeling guilty if you hadn't ridden Wabo, glad you both made it round safely.

I would have been spitting bullets emzap, that's so rude!

Take it easy chicksta you're recovering remember.

Well done on your relay leg Dustin, a shame the team couldn't hold on to beat the youngsters but you gave them the best chance.

That does sound time consuming Donaldo but you'll probably be grateful for it as the taper continues  :)

Your weekend sounds just about perfect SC. I think my bad run yesterday is probably more evidence that my body doesn't respond well to rest.

Is it a 5k Alehouse?
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    great photo SC! 
    Poppy, so so happy and wow!!!

• Yes, 5k, LMH. Not the easiest of courses as starts with a tough hill then 2x 2k loops off road, then back down the hill to the finish. Did 21:39 two years ago. Probably 6 or 7 minutes slower tomorrow!
  • Just popped in here on a whim, good to see some familiar faces still posting!
    A bit miffed at present as I'm training for my first marathon in 10 years (Athens) but I now have an injury...

• Alehouse, it is not so bad tomorrow as I have someone from Dunblane Cathedral talking every Tuesday.  I’ve been encouraging kids to come up and present as well, some of them are quite good!  You remembered my birthday well!

poppy, so good to see you running again, well done.

Good pic SC.

Tapering...definitely need it!  5 miles today, decent pace, cracking day.

• Hello 40 - good to see you! What have you done to yourself?

Is it your birthday today Donald? Happy Birthday if so.

But you'll be running it Alehouse and that's actually the most important thing.
  • Don's birthday was the same as my mother's, LMH...in March.

Good to see you 40...and hope the injury is not too serious and that you are in fine health otherwise!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hi 40 nice to see you hope the injury Isn't too bad
    QoP was brutal tonight. She asked do my  legs feel better after she worked on them. No no and no again. I know they will but right now they feel so sore