10K running

If you're new to the distance, then the simplest way to approach the race is to divide it into two 5Ks. The goal is simple. Run the first 5K very, very easy. Then you can start your racing after that 5K mark is reached, running each mile a bit faster so that by the end of the 10K you're definitely at your max.
naima

Comments

• Thanks! I will remember this strategy for next time I do a 10k race. In fact I am ding a 10 mile race tomorrow. Do you think this strategy could work for that? Maybe I could divide it into two 5 mile races or does it only work for 10k?

My usual strategy is to divide it into 10 x 1k. I then normally run the first km as hard as possible and then gradually get slower for each km. I call this going out hard, coming home easy. It definitely works as I have run all my best times with this strategy.   
  • > @bigballer69 said:
    > > My usual strategy is to divide it into 10 x 1k. I then normally run the first km as hard as possible and then gradually get slower for each km. I call this going out hard, coming home easy. It definitely works as I have run all my best times with this strategy.   

That sounds like the worst strategy possible to me. I had a coach who told me before my first marathon that I should run the first half hard and then hang on as best I could. Needless to say I ignored his advice completely and ran at a pace I knew I could do the whole race in with the proviso that if I felt good after 20 miles I'd up it a little to make sure the tank was empty at the end. I got the time I was after and still felt good at the end.

Your training paces are the best indicator of what your race pace should be. If you're getting good times with your "hard out, easy back" strategy, you'll get better times running a more even pace and maybe even running a negative split.