Sore to touch..

Hey, Iv been an off and on runner for a while now and my plan is to train for The Great North Run next year, My problem is my shins, At least i think that's the problem! I warm up for 10 minutes and also stretch before i run. After running for around 10 minutes my calf feels tight and uncomfortable but begins to settle down after a while. I have completed two 5K runs this week and i have a slight pain on the inner edge of my shin but only when i touch it, It kinda feel likes a bruise but it doesn't hurt while walking or running. I guess my question is should i be resting it or is it OK to run on? I get paranoid i may cause a stress fracture if i just keep running and really don't want to stop running for 6 to 8 weeks. :/

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It would be very unlikely you'd get a stress fracture at such low mileage.   More likely you are running too fast, check your shoes have plenty of cushioning too.   Slow right down and run as lightly as you can.
  • > @SHADES said:
    > It would be very unlikely you'd get a stress fracture at such low mileage.   More likely you are running too fast, check your shoes have plenty of cushioning too.   Slow right down and run as lightly as you can.

Thanks for the reply, I actually went and got my gait analysed and they said i need cushioned shoes and orthotics so i have purchased them and going to give it till Monday before i try to run again and i will take your advice and slow my running down.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jaysevern - that's great news.   I think what you have is mild shin splints, often caused by running too fast/too hard and overstriding.   

Let us know how you get on.
  • > @SHADES said:
    > Jaysevern - that's great news.   I think what you have is mild shin splints, often caused by running too fast/too hard and overstriding.   
    >
    > Let us know how you get on.

Ran 5k today with the new shoes and didn't get tight shins at all, I also slowed down slightly and it seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the advice Shades.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That's great news, I'm really pleased for you.   

Increase your mileage gradually as doing too much too soon could cause a reoccurrence.