Comrades 2019

Comments

• Well done Lowrez. You do find some unusual events. Are you sorting your injury out?
  • Xiamen is one I've never hever of before but wikipedia tells me it had 74000 runners in 2013!!!   

Pictures look amazing, should be one to remember.
  • IAAF Gold so this should be a very good marathon, lowrez.  

Well done to JAR and RR on the qualifiers.

I've run Seville a couple of times and it's my PB course.
  • Thanks folks, been looking for something interesting for a couple of weeks now, had a Doh! moment when I discovered Taipei but entries into the lottery had just closed! Like Jar; when I saw the pictures of this, especially the Yanwu Bridge, I was sold. Entries are lottery based, but foreigners pass straight through. Had fun with the drop downs on the entry form, not sure if I am registered as male or female, picked 4XL for the t-shirt as I have ordered 3XL from Hong Kong on ebay before and it was too small. Temperatures look good ranging from 10C-17C. I better go book some travel.

SS - I am my own worst enemy on recovery - had some diagnosis - got a very resistant resistance band - been shown exercises - and I keep "forgetting" to do them - I really, really want to fix this - what is wrong with me? I don't mean the injury - I mean why am I not straight on top of this; exercising like billio trying to fix it? Maybe putting this event in the diary will wake me up.

• RR: well done!

Lowrez, good luck with that. Hope you've got all the entry details correct.

Confession time: I just put in my entry for SDW100 - on 8-9 June 2019. So I won't be running Comrades next year. (Must remember to cancel my hotel booking). I have a conference starting 10th, in Sweden, so the logistics for Comrades really were not going to work. Can I still hang out with you all here please?

• That sounds great Debra and of course, stick around here.

lowrez - have you done your exercises yet?
  • Lowrez, you sure find marathons in far away places. That one sounds very exciting. The airlines must love you!  Get on with those exercises!

Debra, sorry I won't see you in Durban but the SDW is a very big challenge of the sort I know you love.  If you Belaire reservation only needs cancellation in the last week before Comrades, then please keep it on hold for a while.  Belaire is full and I have a Stamford clubmate who tried unsuccessfully (too late) to book.  He will probably confirm Comrades once entries have proceeded and may well be keen to 'buy' your booking from you.  That could be confirmed after entries have closed.

• Terry, no probs - I'll keep the booking for the moment. I thought someone might want it.

Yes, sorry I'll miss seeing you in Durban - must work out somewhere closer to say hello during the year!

• Lowrez... on my way up to speyside in a week or so time... will look out for that...running not so great the last week... hopefully have a better weekends running.Not long till Chester... I think its a bit soon for me but hopefully get the sub 5

• Debra, good luck on the SDW - I love events where you actually get from somewhere to somewhere else - what a sense of achievement that will be - Winchester to Eastbourne - so are you looking to complete the 100 miler Grand Slam?

I have had to admit to my physio what a bad boy I am - I didn't get too much of a lecture but they did reflect on how lazy humans are by nature - on a practical front they are going to cast me adrift if I don't knuckle down and literally get off my arse - so the writing is on the wall - I have been asked to take a different turn at the end of the street next week if I have still done nothing, go to the church to confess and never darken their door again. I think I need to go to a gym or something to actually instill the rigour of regularly doing this stuff. If I go home from work the moment I am in the door the fridge gets opened and I am lost in the journey that is teatime!

• lowrez, thanks. No, not trying for the Centurion 100 miler Grand Slam - TP100 is already booked up for one thing, and I'm not really wanting to do NDW100 a week after Lakeland 50.

My major targets for next year are: Samphire 100, NDW50, SDW100, Lakeland 50, Ridgeway 86. That should keep me out of mischief for the first 3/4 of the year. Considering Chiltern Wonderland 50 and Wendover Woods 50 - or possibly Autumn 100. But I also want to reach 100 marathons/ultras by the end of 2019 if I can, get that out of my system! No 10-in-10 next year.
  • Long time since I have been on here, and lots to catch up on.  I am also qualified, New Forest Marathon (3.46) and Ironman Italy this weekend (3.48); doing the Langdale Marathon in October so that will be good for some hills.

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Peter R - nicely done and into Pen B with your IM time.

Debra - quite a schedule of events.  Presume you'll pencil in Comrades for 2020?!

Lowrez, Glad you found a January event. You don't do things by half! Looking forward to seeing your race outfit.  Maybe tie the resistance band to your fridge door!  I'm liking the sound of Seville for a February race to put into my schedule.

• I booked my flights today, to/from Jo'burg. Found £408 on the Air France 'sale' on dates/times that suit me perfectly.  (Not via Aberdeen Lowrez :) )

Looking forward to the trip despite knowing I'll not be able to run!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

So do you think you will return to Comrades in further years Debra? That is an amazing list of events you have lined up, and a great target for the 100 :)

I keep meaning to count up how many I have done. And a way to display my medals rather than a "dangly rack" where they all twist and turn and you can't make out any of them anyway.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Terry, that is a very good price for that flight! RR will be disappointed that you aren't going via Aberdeen with me though! Hope we can meet up in Durbs for at least Monday breakfast.

Well done Peter - you are faster than ever and on good form!

Mac - I know the rest of the gang recommend Seville sounds like a very nice run. Advice is not to go too wild in China, I don't want to "disappear" if the authorities somehow misinterpret my antics as dissent, so I might just go as "me".

So, its Chester marathon on Sunday! I am intending to get out on the route and cheer some people - who is going? Do we need a list? What are people doing pre and post run - although I don't want to barge in on any arrangements if my presence would prove "cumbersome" :)

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Comrades just acknowledged the e-mail I sent in following the lack of ability to give real feedback in the on-line survey. They said they'd had a lot of similar feedback and had taken it all onboard. The only specific in the reply was an acknowledgement that the street lighting needed to be better in the early stages of the next down run.
  • lowrez: I’m up to 56 so far, marathons and ultras (more ultras than marathons). If I get to run all the events I have planned I should reach 75 or maybe even 76 by the end of this year, which leaves only 25 to manage next year - which should be possible even allowing for not being able to run some events due to Lakeland recces, not doing a 10-in-10, and needing some rest time after the big races. As for returning to Comrades... I prefer trail and small, low key rather than large events - but Comrades is special. And I do have a yen to earn my Green Number - and if I did that I would need to wear it at least once afterwards, or what's the point! So probably not every year, as there are lots of interesting trail races to try, but yes, I suspect I'll be back!

Good luck to those running Chester!

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to Chester folks.  Bremen Marathon for me but I've had all sorts of injury niggles this summer so it's come a bit soon.  16 miles is the longest run I've done since Comrades so not even orthofeet Arcadia-Black can help me and I'm relying on my stamina reserves still being there.

Good progress towards the 100 Debra.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Are you aiming at a sub5 qualifier Becca? Good luck!

Lots of running costume opportunities in Arcadia for me and Black was having a wonderful, wonderful life whilst still with us; that is a might fine song to leave behind.

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to play it by ear.  Hopefully, I will be able to get a qualifier, even if quite some way down the alphabet but I would also hope to better the time later.
  • Great to see all the races that folks are entering, especially the mega long and the out of the ordinary! Qualifiers are on the agenda at the moment and I'm no exception - Leicester marathon again for me on 14th. Poor prep and a bit of a loss of mojo after my Comrades debut leaves me looking for a sub 3:40 for another C seeding, but the new Boston QT of 3:35 for 55+ (2020 race) has been dangled in front of me now. I think I'm going to aimfor that and hope I don't blow up as my 2 longest runs since Comrades have been 15 & 18 miles. Good luck to everyone qualifying in October. Has anyone any experience of an organised 'package' based in Cape Town along the Garden Route? Me and Mrs M are thinking about tagging a week on after the race.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Good luck for Leicester, Max.  I'm sure you will be fine.  I'm marshalling that one this year and will be somewhere in Abbey Park.
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭

Comrades 2019 Qualification
    16Sep
    Goodwood (M) justanothrrnr-Q3:54-PenD
    24Sep
    Emilia-Romagna, Italy (IM) Peter R-Q3:48-PenB
    07Oct
    Chester (M) seren nos
    07Oct
    Bremen (M) Becca7
    14Oct
    Leicester (M) Max2
    21Oct
    Amsterdam (M) Mac3
    16Apr
    Boston USA
    28Apr
    London
    02May [TBC] Qualification and
    Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    09Jun
    Comrades

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Hope it passes your scrutiny Lowrez.  I also thought it was time for a list.  Good luck at Bremen Becca.  That should be nice and flat. Forecast looks reasonable for you. 

Max - you might need a bit quicker for Boston based on 'adjustment factor' for good for age places which was approaching 5 minutes for 2019 entries.  But you've a much faster marathon time in you (when the mojo returns!).  Hope Leicester goes well for you.  I did the Garden Route in 2016 from Port Elisabeth but we did our own self-drive which was straightforward.  Make sure to factor in some time for the wine region, Stellenbosch/Franschhoek.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Nice work Mac. I’ve got a London Marathon place. Plus Tokyo on March 3. Bremen is indeed a nice flat course and would have been good for a fast time if I’d been able to train. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ooo! I do love a good list - nice one Mac!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Its a Mizuno Ad but its nice footage
  • Becca, hope you enjoy Bremmen, whatever your time on the day.

seren nos, hope you have a good run in Chester.

I'm heading for a nice gentle SVN 6-hour challenge on Sunday, intending to run 50K, maybe a little longer. It will be my properly long run for four weeks. Think I've recovered properly from Ridgeway 86 now - done a couple of cross-countries at not too bad a pace and actually felt like pushing it in the club run yesterday (didn't, much, because I was acting as 'sheep dog' for a slower group, but I did feel like it. Note to self for next year: plan for a couple of weeks minimal running after a 100-mile or 86-mile race!

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Comrades 2019 Qualification
    Note to self; no events listed for him yet but don’t forget Slow Duck is going for double yellow
    27Aug Qualification starts
    16Sep
    Goodwood (M) justanothrrnr-Q3:54-PenD
    16Sep
    Berlin (M) Running Rodent-Q4:44-PenH
    24Sep
    Emilia-Romagna, Italy (IM) Peter R-Q3:48-PenB-Going-for-Green
    07Oct
    Chester (M) seren nos, marty74
    07Oct
    Bremen (M) Becca7
    14Oct