Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    Shades, I'll keep the sea on the right.  If it's on the left at any point I've gone wrong ;)  
    We got lost once in Cornwall where the coastal path goes inland and then we had a lot of problems getting back onto the path, kept ending up driveways of cottages.

Cal - have a good journey up north and hope you have a great race, you've certainly worked hard for it.

Might be too warm for Kawauchi at Chicago to be in with a chance, he likes the cold weather, but who knows, he'll run his socks off trying.

Robert - good idea to shelve the PB plan and just see how your are on the day.
  • I know there's a bit in Newquay where you have to go through the town, I was speaking with a lady at the check point just before who said they knew the way round, I saw her head off and I rushed off after her, caught her up started talking and wasn;t the same lady I was talking too... somehow we managed to navigate our way and make it over a bridge before it become submerged.

Cal hope you have a good race, you've had some decent halfs and some decent training banked in those legs!

• Good luck to Cal & Ian for this weekend....and anyone else racing!
  • Big G- there is nothing wrong in planning for number 100 hopefully as I start t run more marathons my planning will improve. Until this year I have only ever run 1 a year, this year it's 2. Next year I've already got 2 booked and am looking to book more for next year so as you say the number certainly increases quickly.
    Shades- I think Berlin is the weekend of 28th/29th Sept where Loch Ness is 6th Oct. I will enter the ballot for Berlin and if successful the decide if I think I could run a marathon on successive weekends as it's something I've never done before.

4 miles today just to keep the legs moving before work.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Will keep an eye out for me,if you spot the wirral ac gazebo near the finish straight I will be around there,have a good journey.
    Shades-Cheers for the easy jet info,that's before the ballot date so ideal timing.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades/Robert, this route is one I know quite well.  I've walked or ran it all on separate occasion but never all in one go.

It went quite well this morning.  I got the bus, and started walking from Kingswear at around 9:50, and was on the coast path very soon.  This route is a point-to-point from Kingswear, around to Brixham (11 miles), and then further around to Paignton for another 7 miles.  I could have got the bus at Brixham if I wasn't feeling up to it, but I had a great plod around.

Absolutely stunning in sections, especially the bit from Kingswear towards Berry Head in Brixham.  There are very few people on this section of coast path so it was nice being out, although it does get busier through Brixham Harbour and Paignton Harbour.

I stopped for a coffee, and later had my sandwich, then later still stopped for an ice-cream and can of coke.  All-in-all, Strava shows I was out for 5hrs, but moving for 4hrs, and did a total of just under 18 miles.  So you can see it was pretty slow, although very enjoyable, but yet still quite tiring.  Strava is showing nearly 3500ft of elevation - it's certainly very hilly in places.

I took a few pics, and here a few nice ones.  They don't really do it justice as it was hazy (and surprisingly warm), but it was a good day out.  Those cows have a very nice view!

• Evening folks , been a little while since I've had time to pop in, but I'm sitting watching my youngest do judo so I thought I'd say hi .
    It's been a little bit manic. .with work and the start the Christmas advertising grrrr.
    I ran the forest of Dean trail half on Sunday and I went all out (which felt very tough) it was dry so the surface was good but there was plenty of forest to run through so the usual rocks and twigs etc..I managed to finish in 25th overall and 5th v40 in 1:28:02 so pretty happy with that.. 

On Wednesday I've got an 8hr event (the cardiac Challenge)  round Shorne woods.. Im aiming for 10 laps+ which is a gold medal,  silver is 6-9 laps and bronze is 1-5 laps. Each lap is 2.96 miles with 178 stairs and 450' of elevation so fairly flat. .🤣...
    Have a good weekend running folks.. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Iain, errrrm, sounds an 'interesting' challenge!

I'm up and ready for Teignmouth parkrun, but not really feeling it today.  If it wasn't "new parkrun day" I think I'd be taking a rest day.  I'll see how I feel when I get there, but it may just be an easy-ish run around today.  I have just looked at my training log though and with today I'll have ran 10 days in a row - I hadn't done that intentionally, but it's just what's happened.  I haven't entered Sailsbury Half and if I feel a bit lethargic tomorrow still, I'll just take a rest day and watch Chicago instead :)

York marathon race number has turned up, which is good news.  I've been told on the Yorkshire Marathon thread on RW that the York parkrun isn't happening as there's horse racing on, which is a shame as I'm less that 1-mile from that event (I booked that area partly with the parkrun in mind!).   There is another one 3-miles away that I won't want to run there and back from as it'll be too far, but I've seen that there is a bus out there so I may take that.  I'll play it by ear because to get out there in time it's a 7:40am bus that gets there at about 8:05, so if it's raining or cold I won't bother.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    steven - so you've gone from one marathon a year to considering doing 2 on consecutive weekends :D 

Big G - lovely photos, you certainly picked the right day weather wise, it was really warm here yesterday.

Good luck at new parkrun, cold with wind and rain on the seafront, you might wish you'd postponed it.

Iain - that's a good result at FOD half.

That Cardiac Challenge sounds quite tough, I don't think you'll ever want to see another set of steps after that.   Good luck, let us know how you get on, I'll add it to the list.

Did my favourite 8 mile hilly run today.   Strange weather, I saw the forecast and had expected it to be colder with some rain this morning, but when I went out it was very mild and dry.   Halfway through the run it started to rain and the wind picked up too and it was quite cold, 13 degrees at start of run and 9 degrees at finish.   Had a lovely run though, quite nice to run in the rain.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, it was cold and wet today, with a headwind for half of each lap.  Standing there for the briefing at the start I did have one of those "what am I doing?" moments.  But I got into it and after a mile I'd warmed up okay and finished feeling pretty strong again, like last week, so all-in-all I'm glad I went over.

It could be a quick course in the right conditions, although in the summer I suppose the route could be more congested with non-runners.  I did end up being a bit anti-social as I didn't stop for coffee with my club mates - I'd parked half a mile away in a free parking area and didn't have any warm/dry clothes with me at the event, so I got my token scanned and then just ran back to the car.

I did the event in the region of 22-mins I believe.

Shades, don't I remember from the dim and distant past that you wanted to do a 5k?  It's only 15-mins drive, so maybe see you there one week?  :)  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - always the worst part is standing on the start line.

Yes, one day I'll do a 5km but it won't be a parkrun, I'd want to do a proper race.   Tavistock would be my choice for a 5km.

Shame about York parkrun, but I suppose that's the disadvantage of not taking your car.   Maybe there might be a couple of runners at your hotel and you could share a taxi to the parkrun, lots into parkrun tourism now.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I haven't done the Tavistock 5k race yet - I hope to one day though.  Just got the results though from today and I was 13/126 in 21:52, so quite happy with that really.  I don't know what it would be like if, for example, it doubles in size.  I think it could be too busy then.  The course is literally up and down the sea front so different people are on different laps running towards each other and overtaking each other, and a couple of bits are narrow.   I don't think I'll go there that regularly, but it's still really good that it's finally been set up.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it's good that they finally got the parkrun going in Teignmouth.   Will help with the tourists as that's what they like to do.   

I do like the look of the Tavistock 5km race, but not in any hurry to do one yet.

Good luck to all racing this weekend :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good effort at parkrun.
    Shades-Sounds like perfect weather to run in.
    Weather looking good for tomorrow,little chilly at the start but will warm up once we start.
    Looking forward to tomorrow,feel a lot more relaxed knowing I had a good run at Hull so I don't feel pressured into worrying about a time.
  • Good luck to all who has an event this weekend.

8 miles today very cold breeze out there today had to wear a few extra layers.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Best of luck for tomorrow. Looking forward to the race reports :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    steven - chilly here today, our first frost I think.

Have tracked our Chester runners, started OK
  • Iain good luck with the challenge, sounds like there plenty of horizontal flat sections!

Big G how annoying planning york parkrun and then not being on.

Hope your races are going well Cal and Ian, looking forward to the race reports too.

Made it to my local hilly parkrun, ran slow and just after a mile asked a young lad (11-14yrs) if he had a time in mind.  He said 'his dad wanted him to run sub 25' i asked him whats his best time? '26.26 told him that we'll get him under 26 if he wanted me to pace him' I did and encouraged and powered the lad up the hills and finished in 25.50.   HE was delighted but what was sad was when he went off to his dad he ignored him and carried on talking to his mates, then after his mum finished went to tell her and she didnt seem to care, I told her how well he did to smash his pb and her response 'well its almost 2 years old' bloody parents!!!!

Today volunteered at Junior parkrun as time keeper, was quite funny watching some of the tots.

Had a massage yesterday and looks like it's piriformis related and thats pulling on the glute and hip, just need to keep things light for the time being.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Rob-Well done on pacing,crappy attitude from the parents,they'll be wondering why he doesn't exercise in the future.
    Chester marathon today,unfortunately I didn't get to see cal.I decided on going out at 1:35 half and try for 1:40 2nd half and see if I could get 3:15. Started nice and few roads around the city centre and off into the country,I think they've got the right amount of people here,not too many so you can get into a nice stride,once you get out the city,but enough so there's always people around you.10k in 45:01,then halfway in 1:35:30 so 30 secs over,I had a little wobble around 8 as my legs felt drained but just thought I'd push,by halfway they felt fine again,still kept it around 3:10/11 pace until 18 miles then I could feel it was getting hard.Got to 22 and was slowing and I also got my bout of cramp,stopped for a minute to stretch and get rid of it,I was still ahead of schedule so waited until it was clear so it didn't reappear.Got to 24 and smithy lane hill,managed to get up it at 8 m/m pace and realised that's all I needed to get 3:15 for the last 2 miles.Gave it pretty much everything at the end and came in at 3:14:35 so another 5 mins gone and 5 to go.
    Strange at the end as I felt pretty emotional,which I don't normally,maybe it's because I always thought 3:15 was way beyond me.Only disappointing thing is that would have got me GFA until they changed it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - fantastic running, another sizeable chunk off that PB and ever closer to that GFA.  Annoying that they've moved the goalposts but I don't think that will stop you for long.

Shame you didn't get to see Cal.

Robert - what a shame that boy doesn't have supportive parents, but I suspect that he'll still carry on running.

Piriformis can be manageable.

Didn't get to watch Chicago, free streaming but only if you're a USA TV subscriber.  Didn't matter as I was busy anyway but just checked and Mo won in a time which I think gives him the European record that he was after.

I'll watch the race on YouTube in a while when it's been posted on there.
  • Ian congrats on the new PB impressive stuff... just another 10 mins to go
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that is fantastic running.  I had a look at your splits, and you did brilliantly.  I know what you mean about feeling emotional after a breakthrough/good performance, as I had similar at Nottingham.  Well done again, and very well deserved.

Shades, I watched it directly off of the Chicago Marathon website.  I didn't do any techy jiggery-pokery, as it just worked straight off for me.  It was a good race, but Mo was continually looking around in the last couple of miles, even though it seemed obvious he was going to win.  Cardiff Half was good too, with the Aussie winning.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all,just had  a look at my splits and I faded quite a bit from 20,I was actually only 40 secs over 3:10 pace at that stage so some good long runs should help solve that.
    Rob-I'm an old git so only another 5 mins for me.
    Caught the very end of Chicago and good to see Mo win,looked like he had a bit more in the bag aswell.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I watched Cardiff, great run by the Aussie who was not expected to win.   Commentary was dreadful though.

Chicago coverage wouldn't work for me but I would only have been able to watch a few minutes anyway.   Mo is doing well with Gary Lough as his coach, promising for the future, that was only his 3rd marathon.
  • Just a quick post as I'm on my friend's computer, but I had a great race today. Can't find the official results but I logged 4:10:48 on my watch, so I expect I'll be around 4:10:45 or so officially. I ran with the 4:15 pacers initially but they seemed to slow down a little around 8 miles or so, so I left 'em behind. I was amazed at how strong I felt through the whole thing - I didn't really slow at all apart from the big hill, where I did 9:5something. Most of my miles were around the 9:30 mark. Really happy with my performance. Achilles wasn't bad and the Zoom Flys didn't kill my feet either. I definitely made the right choice of shoes.
    Ian - fantastic effort, well done!
    Good to see Mo won Chicago too!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Your chip time is 4:10:42,brilliant effort,well deserved after how well you've been running the last few months.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hi Cal, your official time was 4:10:42.  Well done too, and great news your achilles was fine.  It sounds like the Shadies had a great race at Chester!
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Just got home from Cardiff, been a amazing weekend, only went and booked the same hotel as all the elite runners, breakfast next to the England team and chatting to Northern Island female runner about the course while waiting for toast. I’m chuffed with my time 1:48:49 PB didn’t look at my watch once and ran happy.  I’ve got Dartvale Half in couple of weeks but good easy on that one as Cornish is week later. Really happy as no issues and this was my first really effort race since injury. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a stonking PB, well done.  Your splits were amazing, all that training paid off.   I found the results and your official time was 4:10:42.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Jelly, well done - a great PB, and to run feeling happy is a fantastic result, and with no niggles too.  Well done!

Shades, I think HA has broken a long standing V40 Half Marathon club record today with a 1:26:38.  She's been keeping herself to herself on the training I think, but obviously she's back! I wonder if she's got her eye on the other V40 club records?   Time will tell :)