Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A lot of my running is in the 8.10-8.40 bracket, especially at the moment.  

Best conversion is almost exactly 2 x HM + 6, although the fastest HM I ran in that build up converted as 2 x HM + 3.5.  But as I know that HM wasn't completely flat out, I think I'd better stick with 2 x HM + 6!
  • OO - Sounds like you are having a good time in Jersey. I am definitely going to plan a visit for next year. I hope the knee holds out for Sunday, may be difficult for Gerard to carry you after all these 5 course breakfasts!

Gul - I'm sure its just taper madness, its funny how the mind works!

Poacher - Good bike miles, I want to get out on mine a bit more over winter. Good luck for Sunday

Badbark - That is a great conversion! Huge streak and miles as well, I hope the parkrun and drinking go well!

DT - Where did you read that article? Makes sense though, more recently I have tried to run to HR on my easy runs and just treat them as recovery. Usually come out at 8.15-8.30mm.

Last nights tempo went alright, almost exactly as DT predicted! New HR monitor worked well so I ignored my pace and just focused on keeping at the same effort. First 3 miles came out at 6.37/169 BPM and the 2nd 3 at 6.42/167 BPM.

Happy with the discipline as I think a few months ago I would have smashed myself trying to hit the 6.20-6.25 pace I usually can in a tempo. 7m easy planned this afternoon and then 22m on Sunday

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Fair point Stevie ;) Maybe a few of us could get over next year!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    18.20 this morning for 4th place and a 1 second pb from the 18.21 I ran on the same course the Saturday before London. pleased with that. new wava PB as well.
  • Impressive run of running there madbark!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Badbark - what Philip said !!   

my own longest "streak" is a mere 25 days . . .   
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great PB DT19 well done!
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Well done DT, you took me down! Just :smile:

I ran 18 miles today including having fun on a Warrior Assault course and an 18:21 Parkrun. I wasn’t flat out in the Parkrun so was extremely surprised to run my equal fastest in years. I was also the first finisher in what was my 180th Parkrun.

So I’ve clearly recovered from Berlin, and I’m now enjoying the benefits of the training. I’ve the XC Masters trails next Saturday and would love to make the Northern Ireland team. I’ve managed to sneak onto the team twice in six attempts as the slowest runner. I don’t care about being the slowest; it’s the honour of wearing a national vest that matters.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nice run DT

Good luck to all tomorrow.

Especially niece Poachette who had a late call up for the Commonwealth HM championship in Cardiff, thus getting her first England vest.

Parkrun this morning, at the end the guy just in front who is a doc and yoga fan said he could actually hear how my running has deteriorated from the clunky footfall. Still trying to protect the foot injury. 21.09, meh.
  • Congratulations on the new PB DT! Good parkrunning from Badbark &Poacher as well.

Best of luck to OO, GM, G-Dawg & Poacher tomorrow. Looking forward to the reports!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Poacher, that's wonderful news - well chuffed for you (  re Poachette, that is, not your parkrun )  :);)     

parkrun myself today, but a 10 mile warmup, then 1st lap (of two), steady, before trying a bit harder - couple of miles to conclude, so 15 for the morning, to follow 13.5 Thurs.   
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Would be fantastic to get a call up Badbark and you certainly are at your best.
    Good luck to Poachette, and everyone racing tomorrow. 
    Gerard and I were at the Jersey parkrun and paced Mrs OO to a comfortable PB.
  • OO - hope you're going for a lighter breakfast option tomorrow! All the best to you and GM tomorrow.
    Birch - nice miles. You seem to be getting some consistency now.
    DT - interesting stuff about Kipchoge. I'm planning on trying to get back into morning doubles after Rother Valley with an eye to doing the Peddars Way Ultra in January (I see to say that every year but it never comes off...) Great guns at parkrun - well done on the 2 PBs.
    Badbark - any very impressive milestone reached. Enjoy the celebrations. Hope you can get a place on the National team again.
     Stevie - nicely controlled tempo run.
    Poacher - congrats to Poachette. Good luck tomorrow!
    GD - hope all is well across the Pond. Good luck to you too.
    Did 11 miles this morning with a bit of a combo session - 3 x 1M, 6 x 200m and 2 mile progressive. Avg pace overall was 7:13/m which was pleasing. However when I went out to do some gardening a couple of hours later I was in real agony. Don't think it's running related; putting it down to lugging some furniture around yesterday morning. Glutes and hammies not very happy. Rubbed some ibuprofen gel on and it has eased off now but still trouble bending down. No run for me tomorrow!

• I paced at parkrun this morning, a fairly slow but safe 24 minutes. Two highlights:

1) at about 2km a father and son came by. At 3km the son was wanting to push on and the father obviously was full out so another guy said he would help him on. The conversation went:

Youngster: "Can you do this? How fast can you go?"
    Other guy : "16:08 is my best."
    End of conversation.

Had a chat with him afterwards, Eirin McDaid,  https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=583609, coming back from injury and aiming sub 16.

2) at about 3.5 km I caught up with a lady in a bright yellow top. Didn't think too much about it at first but she upped her effort to stay with me and it was apparent she wanted to stay with me. There is a bit of a pull up to 4km and she was struggling a bit so I adjusted my pace a bit to ensure we got to the top together and at a sensible effort. Soon after a male friend of hers (husband or brother, same surname) told her the pacer was too fast (I wasn't, all splits within a few seconds and eventually 23:51 so inside but not by too much) but they pushed on and she got a new parkrun PB after 124 runs.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Back from Chester in so much pain. But at least I have a medal, a shoe bag, a strange plastic drinks coaster and some instant porridge..

Poachette on the other hand has a Commonwealth medal - team bronze, along with a huge 1.13.49 PB.

Incredibly chuffed, but starting to suspect that I might not be the no. 1 athlete in the family.
  • Poacher - Glad you got it done and I hope the pain subsides soon as there is no lasting damage! Massive congratulations to Poachette!

Last long run done today, 22m in 3.00.22. Average pace of 8.12 for a HR of 140. Managed to progress the pace while keeping the effort easy and in control, really happy with that! 53.6 for the week
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done Poacher you made it round!
    And Congrats to Poachette- we have a starlette in the making.
    Gerard and I had a fab day out in Jersey and ran much of the race together. After a wobble at 16 with knee pain I settled down, and pushed on from 19, even running the last 5 at sub 3 hour pace. It’s probably the best I’ve ever felt at the end of a Mara. Scores on the doors, 3:09:16 for 29th finisher and 1st V55 (no prize for that). Pleased with my first ever Mara negative split. Please at the progress towards NY. And most pleased to have ran with Gerard. I let him tell the story but he achieved a massive PB.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Me and Gerard at the finish
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Do we sense the start of a bromance? ;) 

Great effort tho, congrats on the PB too.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Poacher - How did you do? Sounded tough. Unbelievable running by Poachette. 

Great day out with OO who trounced me with one good knee. I ran 3:14 which was the A target so I'm quite pleased even if the wheels came off a few times. Was brilliant to run with my thread pal, Will pen a report tomorrow af I'm knackered now and am busy entertaining later. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nice work that man, sub 3.15 is a big landmark.

Being injured + failing to train can only lead to being crap, and I was, although over 11 minutes less crap than 3 wks ago in Berlin on a faster course.   3.46.09.  That's 16 maras in the last 13 months and today was actually quite enjoyable. More later.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    fantastic work, everyone - but wonderful stuff by Poachette  - what a proud uncle you must be, Poacher !!   look forward to the reports in due course . . .   but Gerard - surely you'd knock a couple more minutes off if you didn't run in basketball shorts ?   ;)
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Anyone ever seen GM and Sean Connery in the same place at the same time?  Just asking.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Gerard’s running gear is something else ;)
  • Congrats OO & Gerard!! Two great times there, I hope you are both enjoying a celebratory beer!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I am loving the bromance from our Jersey pair and look forward to full reports. Those shorts, tho... ;)
  • edited October 2018
    Super stuff from the Jersey Boys - having been part of the thread threesome at the National XC Champs, I'm now feeling very left on the shelf.  :'(
    Got a sneaky suspicion G-Dawg will be celebrating as well.
    Great going from Poacher as well, and amazing time from Poachette.
    Nicko - shame you won't be at Abo but sounds like the right decision. Look forward to trying to catch up with you there Stevie - sub 3 would be a brilliant achievement.
    You deserve to celebrate Badbark - hope you're not feeling too rough today.
    What's your next race Jools?
    So with 2 weeks to go before Abo, I'm trying to be realistic in terms of expectations. Sub 3:15 will be good and I'll be delighted with anything close to 3:10 as that should give me a reasonable chance of regaining by GFA place for London in 2020.
    Hit 216 miles in September including a couple of road relay events, one of which included getting the handover on the track at Crystal Palace from younger Lorenzito. 34 miles this week as the first week of the taper; I was staying near Southwark on Friday night because of a work do so headed down to Burgess parkrun where I discovered they were celebrating Ugandan Independance Day so there were plenty of people saying Asante to the marshals. Reasonably satisfied with 19:23 for my fastest parkrun since the start of 2017.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Cracking Lorenzo! As you name implies formerly known as, but now on the shelf ;)