Ballot results 2019

Comments

• 6th time unlucky for me. Manchester here i come!
  • Thanks. Mine is also very different from what I saw before then. That was 25xxx the ref. no. is 34xxx. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Bob, yes mine was also 25,xxx before which is why I worked out I would be on green start. The acceptance form number is definitely the race number. I assume somewhere in this mag it will set out what numbers are starting where.
  • Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    11th consecutive rejection for me! :D 
  • > @Hill1 said:
    > 11th consecutive rejection for me! :D 

That's what I'll be on when I get my email/magazine. Nothing today so far.
  • And it's no from me. My Realbuzz page has updated.
  • Lost count of failed entries, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm in double figures since I started trying in 2004 as I've only missed a few of the deadlines. My answers to the profiling questions next year are going to be inventive.
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    OMG, doesn’t look good folks,sorry ! Sister and I still not recognised on realbuzz and now the lady on the helpline says we have to leave it until after the 15th before calling to sort it all out. Really did expect better service from such a prestigious institution
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Rejection for me too.  Lost count of the years I've applied, I just do it in a suck it and see.  I will have to do a debut marathon somewhere else next year.
  • Rejection on 1st time of asking for me, so can't be too dissapointed. Probably look at running the Southampton one instead. 
  • No for the fourth time. Fortunately I have other plans anyway (Vienna).
  • Smitters , be warned,lol. My wife, her sister and I applied for the “not so totally random “ lottery, female,first timers, 6hour finish,non British,etc etc,all the things they wanted to hear,we thought,checking realbuzz this evening,all three have been “withdrawn”can’t wait for an explanation from helpline tomorrow

• it's a no here too - and for everyone else I know who entered! - will stick with Manchester.
  • 9th or 10th rejection for me - Liverpool here i come
  • According to the helpline they don’t have to give a reason for withdrawing any applications, and they can apparently be withdrawn up to and including race day ( personally don’t see how they can achieve this once you have paid and collected your number but hey ho) so looks like I’ll be on my own come the 28th, lol
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Dave, sorry....were these applications withdrawn from the whole process as opposed being a no in the ballot? were they all accurate applications in terms of correct info?
  • It's a NO for me too. Never mind. Looking forward to my debut marathon in Manchester 2019.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Stockholm SyndromeStockholm Syndrome ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    For the seventh time in a row I received my rejection for the overseas ballot today. I did Cologne marathon this sunday and with 16 marathons in continental Europe under my belt I feel it´s about time to do a marathon on British soil, so I just signed up for Manchester instead. 
  • Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    Snap, I've also signed up for Manchester as my alternative to London! see you there!
  • I managed to get a place and will be running for the registered charity that I founded, ChoraChori (the Nepali word for children), that is fighting child rape in Nepal. Anyone also with a place fancy joining me?
  • They were withdrawn from the ballot,only thinking is that they were same email and postal address and the girls were “selective “ in their answers to the profile questions of this “ totally random” ballot. Assuming they failed at the checks!
  • The London Marathon certainly needs a review especially when you apply year after year. Agree with what others have said before, you should only be given 1 x entry in the GFA as it appears there are a few who keep getting in year after year (clearly the algorithm is bias to certain categories or they have worked out how to beat it). In fact why don't you just get rid of it and put them in the 'general' pile. Great that charities gain but not everyone can raise the stupid sums involved (people are sick are giving to charity each year - I must get asked about 10 times plus by different people). I give to charity every month anyway and if honest I think the London Marathon has lost sight of the average person. Then there are the celebs! Half are not even true celebs and given that the marathon was set up on the back of the New York Marathon and "for the people of..." lets free up those slots too. So bottom line is yes I am peeved that it appears the same people get in every year, surely another 3000 places would be viable to take it up to the 40000 mark, hand a few Charity places back from the big charities who have too many (or give them to even more smaller charities - either way I would be happy) and lets get the chance of being accepted increased! Before anyone says it, yes I will now be entering for other ones. Boyhood dream to enter London Marathon is the point! Paris / New York isn't quite the same!
  • Yes, I am one of those who has worked out how to beat the GFA requirement to achieve my 'dream' of running London. At the age of 60 I upped my mileage to 50-60mpw, included one interval and one tempo session a week, shed 16kg and finally achieved the sub 3:45 required last November at the age of 62. Easy. Recommend this method to anyone who really has the same 'dream'.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Great idea to get rid of GFA. You could then have empty roads between 2:45 and 3 hour pace and jam more into the most congested time windows. I understand that people really want to run it but it seems like a pretty successful event so I don't think they're going to change the way they do things.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    They had over 40,000 finishers on the course this year and it is too many IMHO.  Congestion, plastic bottles all over the road at drinks stations, runners stopping dead & running sideways to hug someone in the crowd.  I was grateful to remain upright never mind the heat on the day!

Agree re GFA.. those who qualify have worked hard and earned it.  As HA77 says, the champs and GFA runners spread the abilities out to avoid the course seizing up in the middle.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    yes super idea....why not just totally abobdon the race aspect and make it a gigantic procession!!!

I work hard for my gfa, sacrifice socially, ensure I get early nights, spend 10 hours a week training year in  year out. Most ballot whingers could get gfa they just don't want to do the work. 
  • It is easy to get in, you have to work hard and get fast or work hard and raise 2k. If you don't want to work hard you are at the mercy of the ballot.

I haven't worked hard enough so accept my lot, I will put my name in the hat next year and keep my fingers crossed.
  • i also managed to cheat the system - as i sit here aching on course for another 70 mile week with busted knees after 10 years of not drinking, endless nights on the roads, watching what i eat, getting early nights. This may be my 9th London GFA in a row but i think my body will say i may have earned it! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    the only thing that separates us is genetics obviously lads.......we just got a lucky hand!!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Lost out on the ballot again,for those who say GFA is too hard and they can never do it.3 years ago I was a fat lazy couch potato who had done literally no exercise for 20 years.Decided to do something about it,just got my first sub 3:15,would have been enough for GFA under last years system,but now I need to work hard to knock another 5 minutes off.Am I going to sit here and complain(well a little  ;) )No,the reality is if I want it that much then I need to work a little harder and if not then I'll continue to do other marathons. I am the ultimate if I can do it then most people can as I was a mess and decided to sacrifice going out etc to put as much as I can into bettering myself.