Comrades 2019

Comments

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Bremen Marathon done and a qualifier with 4:28. That was the best I could have hoped for in the circumstances, with so much lost training. 

Well done Marty, great time. 
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Well done Becca and Marty! Comrades entries open soon and you're already 'good to go'.
  • Great time, Marty.

Becca, you have your basic qualifier and I KNOW you will improve on that.

For me, 33 miles in just under 6:12 at the SVN Cakeathon at Jeskyns Community Woodland - not my best, but okay. My vegan, gluten-free chocolate cake with chocolate-orange fudge icing won 1st prize in the 'vegan creations' category and several people told me they enjoyed it.

• Preparation for Chester wasn't great as I had a week on holiday in Scotland, eating and drinking too much and then drove for 8 hours saturday to get to chester for a good night sleep in the carpark next to the race course..The weather was perfect and I did well for the first half before realising that most of that was downhill and the uphill was to come.. The last 10k was tough. My right thigh was not happy ( probably from the driving) but I knew if I could hold on then i could get my first sub 4:30  for a few years.
    Was so amazed to see Lowrez and his sign, sorry I could only stop for a short hug but I knew sub 4:30 was still on the cards.. You did really lift my spirits though and I came home in 4:28:59 so qualifier completed and a time to work on at Portsmouth in Dec.
  • seren nos, well done! Great that you hung in there for the sub-4:30. Particularly after the eight-hour drive and sleeping in the car - wow!
  • Fantastic to read everyone’s run and cake reports, congrats on best cake Debra and to Marty and Seren on great runs at Chester and to Lowrez for his Chester support. I normally run Chester as (despite not living there anymore) I consider it my home marathon. I hadn’t really been looking forward to Chicago as I knew I hadn’t done the training (due to ongoing achilles niggle), but by mile 2 was my normal smiling self and enjoyed the run, took it easy and managed to keep running the whole way (did slow down to have a mini beer at mile 22 offered by the local hash harriers as was a bit fed up of Gatorade by then!) Was delighted to finish in 4:40 so a qualifier in the bag :-)  I know SD was also running and considerably faster than me, so also has his qualifier. 
  • Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Well done Mc Hilly! And very sensible to accept the beer ;-) Great to have the qualifier done, and good luck with that Achilles.

And well done Slow Duck as well.

• Debra... lucky I dont have to sleep in the car as we have a motorhome now. Great for races.. :) and my own personal toilet  :)
  • Big well done to Becca Seren McHilly and Slow Duck. You've all had a great weekend. So many qualifiers in the bag already  :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Comrades 2019 Qualification
    27Aug Qualification Starts
    16Sep
    Goodwood (M) justanothrrnr-Q3:54-PenD
    16Sep
    Berlin (M) Running Rodent-Q4:44-PenH
    24Sep
    Emilia-Romagna, Italy (IM) Peter R-Q3:48-PenB-Going-for-Green
    07Oct
    Chester (M) seren nos-Q4:28-PenG, marty74-Q3:25-PenC
    07Oct
    Bremen (M) Becca7-Q4-28-PenG
    07Oct
    Chicago (M) McHilly-Q4:40-PenH, Slow Duck-Q3:57-PenD(or E)-Going-for-Double-Yellow
    14Oct
    Leicester (M) Max2
    21Oct
    Amsterdam (M) Mac3
    20Oct
    Langdale (M) Peter R
    27Oct
    Beachy Head (M) Debra Bourne, marty74
    03Nov
    Thames Meander (M) Southern Snail
    23Dec
    Portsmouth Coastal Waterside (M) justanothrrnr
    06Jan
    Xiamen (M) 1owrez
    17Feb
    Seville (M) Mac3
    03Mar
    Tokyo (M) Becca7
    17Mar
    Utrecht (M) Mac3
    14Apr
    Boston UK (M) Terry48, Debra Bourne, 1owrez
    15Apr
    Boston USA (M)
    28Apr
    London (M) Becca7, 1owrez
    02May Qualification and
    Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    09Jun
    Comrades
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Brilliant running everyone, I can't recall a higher number of qualifications in one day than this before! I think the best result though was Debra's cake! Seren - love how you had time for a hug and still smashed 4:30 :) At one point a Comrades runner shouted "Why aren't you running it!" to which I replied "Not far enough mate!" :) Several uninformed individuals thought I was a communist with my sign!
  • Great to read about everyone’s runs (and lowrez’s supporting).

Scraped a sub-4 (3:57) by setting off at 9 minute miles and hanging on for dear life.

Good to finish a race for a change - my last finish was Comrades and I was on a run of 3 consecutive DNFs.
  • Well done Slow Duck - both the time and finishing! :-)

lowrez, that was a great answer to the question why you weren't running. I've been known to comment on XC races that they are too short - keep going for another 50K and I would probably finish somewhat further up the field of runners!
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    16Sep
     Goodwood (M) justanothrrnr-Q3:54-PenD
    16Sep
     Berlin (M) Running Rodent-Q4:44-PenH 
    24Sep
     Emilia-Romagna, Italy (IM) Peter R-Q3:48-PenB-Going-for-Green
    07Oct
     Chester (M) seren nos-Q4:28-PenG, marty74-Q3:25-PenC
    07Oct
     Bremen (M) Becca7-Q4-28-PenG 
    07Oct
     Chicago (M) McHilly-Q4:40-PenH, Slow Duck-Q3:57-PenD(or E)-Going-for-Double-Yellow
    14Oct
     Leicester (M) Max2
    21Oct
     Amsterdam (M) Mac3
    20Oct
     Langdale (M) Peter R
    27Oct
     Beachy Head (M) Debra Bourne, marty74
    03Nov
     Thames Meander (M) Southern Snail
    04Nov Soweto Marathon (M) Bike It
    23Dec
     Portsmouth Coastal Waterside (M) justanothrrnr
    06Jan 
    Xiamen (M) 1owrez
    17Feb
     Seville (M) Mac3
    03Mar
     Tokyo (M) Becca7
    17Mar
     Utrecht (M) Mac3
    14Apr
     Boston UK (M) Terry48, Debra Bourne, 1owrez
    15Apr
     Boston USA (M)
    28Apr
     London (M) Becca7, 1owrez
    02May Qualification and
     Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    09Jun
     Comrades

Yes Comrades - I will be at 'The People's Race'
  • Well done everyone who got their qualifiers in at the weekend. No-one even skirting close to the dreaded 5 hour limit! Special well done to SD on the sub-4 after the run of DNF's  :)
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Nice work becca, seren, slow duck and McH. Lovely to see the qualifying table taking shape :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    16Sep
    Goodwood (M) justanothrrnr-Q3:54-PenD
    16Sep
    Berlin (M) Running Rodent-Q4:44-PenH
    24Sep
    Emilia-Romagna, Italy (IM) Peter R-Q3:48-PenB-Going-for-Green
    07Oct
    Chester (M) seren nos-Q4:28-PenG, marty74-Q3:25-PenC
    07Oct
    Bremen (M) Becca7-Q4:28-PenG
    07Oct
    Chicago (M) Mc Hilly-Q4:40-PenH, Slow Duck-Q3:57-PenD(or E)-Going-for-Double-Yellow
    14Oct
    Leicester (M) Max Mladenovic 2
    21Oct
    Amsterdam (M) Mac3
    20Oct
    Langdale (M) Peter R
    27Oct
    Beachy Head (M) Debra Bourne, marty74
    03Nov
    Thames Meander (M) Southern Snail
    04Nov
    Soweto Marathon (M) Bike It
    23Dec
    Portsmouth Coastal Waterside (M) justanothrrnr, seren nos
    06Jan
    Xiamen (M) 1owrez
    17Feb
    Seville (M) Mac3
    03Mar
    Tokyo (M) Becca7
    17Mar
    Utrecht (M) Mac3
    14Apr
    Boston UK (M) Terry48, Debra Bourne, 1owrez
    15Apr
    Boston USA (M)
    28Apr
    London (M) Becca7, 1owrez
    02May Qualification and
    Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    09Jun
    Comrades

Accommodation
    Belaire
    Terry48, Becca7, Mc Hilly, Max Mladenovic 2
    Hilton 1owrez, Dannirr
    Blue Waters jkissane

Flights
    1owrez
    BA/VA MAN-LHR-JNB-DUR ArrJNB7th06:30Dep8:55ArrDUR10:00
    Terry48 AF
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Did you just get in under the wire BikeIT? Soweto is sold out! Your therapy must be going well?
  • Wow,  well done on the qualifications everyone!  This forum has been active lately...

Quick update,  like others, recovery continue to move at a glacial pace since Comrades.  Since Goodwood I can't shake the tightness in my legs and I'm suffer from a lack of mobility that won't improve.   I'm now thinking perhaps neglecting the maintenance pre-June might be the cause - my core work and stretching routine compared to previous years was definitely not the same.   

Family has had a trying few weeks with my wife returning to work after 9 years and my son writing 11+ exams so it was nice to take him to watch Liverpool play this weekend as a reward.    Sadly it was a fleeting visit otherwise I'd have definitely been up for promoting communist propaganda in Chester.

• some good times this weekend.. My legs didnt like my bike commute today.......I'm also doing portsmouth in december and LLanelli in April

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Well done on using your legs again so soon after that 26 seren!

Blimey Jar - so near so far! You clearly have a heap on at the mo though - well done in actually getting out to the footy.

My VLM rejection has come through, but I have quite a nice full zipped running top after donating my entry fee :) and have entered the couple of free competition draws for further chances at getting a place. 

• Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    VLM rejection for me too. It's soooo boring. That's my 10th rejection on the trot :/

Belaire for us too
  • There's a 'Reject Run' being organised by SVN on London Marathon day - be a somewhat different experience, but fun (and dressing up would be fine, lowrez!)
  • Joining the VLM reject club too... 
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Also a VLM reject. I'd have had to walk most of it anyway!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I will be running VLM anyway for Asthma UK so despite being a reject I won't be able to make the Reject Run, I do plan to dress up - in Asthma UK's purple colours - not their provided vest - currently researching "famous purple women" :) 
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Purple women would rule out Tinky Winky, Count von Count and Barney the Dinosaur though.

As per the list, I have a Good for Age place.  
  • McHilly - I turned down a beer that was offered to me at Comrades last time because I thought it might upset my stomach. My last two long races (OCC and Berlin) I’ve gratefully accepted beers offered by spectators and it’s had exactly the opposite effect and actually settled my stomach. I think the fact that it’s not sweet helps. And it certainly got me up the last big hill at the OCC.

No VMLM for me, I’m hoping to be helping at the finish line again, so keeping an eye open for Comrades hats.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Reject here as well. Clearly they don't want any decent runners this year then? :):)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

I wouldn't count myself as a decent runner but I might be able to rustle up a decent costume

Like your ideas Becca, but if its as hot as this year only The Count might be cool enough. Already looking forward to seeing RR at the finish :)