Options

Comrades 2019

Comments

• Options
    RR I had accepted a beer on Comrades this year, so felt comfortable doing so in Chicago- went down much better than Gatorade or a nice change from flat coke! - but on both occasions it was only a mouthful and at a time when I knew I would  have no significant impact on my time, so a nice to do when just enjoying the last few miles rather than a recommended strategy. 

Im also a London reject, but probably a good thing as I only get back from a holiday in Peru the night before!

im looking for a end mar / early April marathon as a training run / opportunity for improving starting pen (either UK or abroad) so if anyone has suggestions let me know !
  • Options
    Lowrez - definitely Dame Edna!
    McHilly - Manchester or Vienna, both 7 April?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Now its not the right time of year for doing planters is it cs? Anyone as fastidious as you should know there is not enough warm weather left in the UK for a strong root system to develop and things are likely to pass away in the early frosts that are about to break. You don't have my support in this initiative.
  • Options
    You ortho know better Lowrez, many planters can be perennials, it's not called the year-long battle for nothing.    

• Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for a bit of info.  My aim is to run Comrades next year (2019).  What is the entry system of UK residents?  Is it a ballot or first come, firsted served?  Or is it going to be a new system which is why the entry date was pushed back until next week?  Thanks,
    Simon
  • Options
    Comrades streaming their 2019 launch shortly...facebook or instagram (whatever those are)

• Options
    Hey TCP - normally there's a separate international entry which costs more ~£150 but you also get special treatment.   All entries are first come first served usually aroud 20-21k entries but last year it sold out in record time which meant loads of regulars never got to run.  Has all sorts of implications for folks trying their back-to-back runs, green number attempts etc so we're waiting to see if thats being addressed in the launch in a few minutes.   

• Options
    Sizonqoba - together we triumph
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Isn't that also a perennial planter?
  • Options
    25,000 entries which opens next Friday

• Options
    1owrez said:
    Isn't that also a perennial planter?
     :D 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Just a flat number of entries? First come first served?
  • Options
    marathon qualifiers now 4:50!

• Options
    first come first served... no early bird entries for saffas either
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    OMG! 4:50? I better get out for a run now!
  • Options
    From 2020 there will be 7000 entries set aside for novices but they can only enter after they have a qualifier to submit.

New medal for Women - finishing form 11th place to 7:30

New medal  - complete 9-10hr
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, by your normal standards I guess you'll go for 4:49 :)
  • Options
    interesting....but I'm done for today.  sure there'll be an update shortly via the news wires

• Options
    4:50? Just as well I didn’t stop too long for that beer in Berlin.
  • Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Hey TCP - normally there's a separate international entry which costs more ~£150 but you also get special treatment.   All entries are first come first served usually aroud 20-21k entries but last year it sold out in record time which meant loads of regulars never got to run.  Has all sorts of implications for folks trying their back-to-back runs, green number attempts etc so we're waiting to see if thats being addressed in the launch in a few minutes.   

Thanks.  I better stand by my keyboard on Friday.  Any idea what time?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

TCP although not necessary in the past I have usually hovered around my keyboard going past midnight the day before hitting refresh and getting my entry in shortly thereafter. Have you got a sub 4:50 marathon in the bag yet? Tell us your marathon/ultra events within the qualification window and I will add them to our list.

That 4:50 scare did have me going back to our qualifying list and checking everyone; we are all OK :) And I feel pretty relaxed that I managed 4:36 in Manchester in fancydress this year, no doubt I will toy with 4:49 though Terry - I am a year older! Would like to ace this in Xaimen - given it is China and people are disappearing all the time there I better play it with a straight bat, no costumes, that'll help me concentrate on acing it :)

There's always time for a beer RR as you have demonstrated - 6 minutes to spare - you could have had one for the road :)

• Options
    Entries open 8am SA time, although I dare say they’ll crash at 8:01.
  • Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    1owrez said:

TCP although not necessary in the past I have usually hovered around my keyboard going past midnight the day before hitting refresh and getting my entry in shortly thereafter. Have you got a sub 4:50 marathon in the bag yet? Tell us your marathon/ultra events within the qualification window and I will add them to our list.

That 4:50 scare did have me going back to our qualifying list and checking everyone; we are all OK :) And I feel pretty relaxed that I managed 4:36 in Manchester in fancydress this year, no doubt I will toy with 4:49 though Terry - I am a year older! Would like to ace this in Xaimen - given it is China and people are disappearing all the time there I better play it with a straight bat, no costumes, that'll help me concentrate on acing it :)

There's always time for a beer RR as you have demonstrated - 6 minutes to spare - you could have had one for the road :)

Thanks for the help.  I've not run under 4:50 since May so outside the qualification period.  So I'm not sure which marathon I'll use to qualify?  Can it be any or just road?  I have SVNs mega marathon next month and then the 100 marathon club AGM marathon next year.  Then it's a 10 in 10 in April.  One should be under 4:50.
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    This is biased to low altitude runners from cool climates IMHO  ;) no wonder you have to pay 4 times more than SA guys due to the easier qualifying outside Gauteng conditions

Seriously wondering if I can qualify this year anyway given my increasing streak of Personal Worsts.

I'll be online 8am next Friday 
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard TCP.  A fellow 100 Marathon Club runner? You can use pretty much any marathon and SVN ones would be fine. 
  • Options
    TCP: you can use SVN events that are marathons (e.g. Betteshanger Marathon), but not the ones that are timed challenges, as I recall from asking Traviss about it. My three Comrades qualifiers have all been SVN marathons. Check with Traviss.
  • Options
    Welcome TCP, I'd suggest dropping an email to the Comrades ambassadors for the UK as well as I found that very useful for my first one.

After much sitting on the fence, since I've last posted I've entered a 30 mile event in Nov, a marathon next Jan & a 50k in Feb so it would almost seem a shame not to go for Comrades as well :smile: 

Hoping to pick up a Comrades qualifier at the Marine Corp marathon at the end of the month which I'm working in with a visit to some friends near Washington.
  • Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Becca7 said:
    Welcome aboard TCP.  A fellow 100 Marathon Club runner? You can use pretty much any marathon and SVN ones would be fine. 
    Yes Becca.  I joined the 100 marathon club last December.
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Very good TCP. I joined last November.