Sub 3

Comments

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Ey up. Just thought I'd stick my head in and say hello.

CW, CD, Al_P - good marathons, even if not quite what you wanted.

Al_P - sorry to not cheer you on, but I opted to not be around a marathon race day given my current lack of fitness.

Who's next up on the marathon front? TR? sj?

My stomach issues seem to be coming under control and I've switched up my training - km instead of miles, easy being very easy (easy range is currently 5:04-5:26/km pace!!), and the sessions will be about consistency (and eventually volume) rather than flashiness - so it's now similar to what I picked up when I spent the month in Kenya a few years back.

Last 2 weeks were 73km off of 4 days and 86km off of 4 days, all relaxed. I'm hoping for 5 days this week (3 days in), and back to 6 days next week. I even made track last night for the first time in months - 21km as 5km easy, 10 x 600m (1 lap jog recs), 6km jog. Aim for the 600s was 2:09-2:12 (estimated 10k-HM pace based on a starting MP of 3:45/km). Ended up with 2:09, 10, 07, 10, 09, 08, 09, 06, 05 and a 2:00 to finish, all feeling relaxed. Fingers crossed it's (finally) onwards and upwards from here!

• OO>  Anyone else doing London in 2019?
    Ha ha, who's _not_ doing it? :-) Well I will for sure -- my tenth consecutive one. Congrats on your place.

CD -- great job, sounds like your WAVA tells us you were actually in very good shape.

Wardi -- I'll be getting up to register for BM, but probably better if you can find another volunteer to register you in case it doesn't work having two from the same browser or IP address. I could try on a second PC/private browser session if you get stuck though.

SJ -- rumbled (re aeroplanes) ;-)

WTGY -- golly, welcome back!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. best of luck with the build up & good news about the tummy issues.  I'm doing the York Marathon this Sunday and I did hear a whisper from elsewhere that our very venerable Lord Didsbury is also lining up.

Joe.. hope you have a blast of a day.  You know what's coming through your qualifier experience so I guess there will be less surprises (hopefully no cars on the course this time :open_mouth:).  I certainly won't be able to match your scenery on Sunday, sadly there are no palm trees in Heslington or Osbaldwick.  ;)

WTGY.. good to see you popping back in, you must be around 16 stone by now? :)

Thanks for the offer Charlie.  Everyone I've asked so far is away for the weekend but I'll keep trawling through my clubmates, an alcoholic bribe may be required.

Taper week so far.. 0, 5, 5, 5 (inc 2m@MP).  Rest tomorrow & 3m Saturday morning.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. this is the updated thread events list

13.10.. Kona Ironman - Joe B
    14.10.. York - Wardi, Lord Didsbury
    14.10.. Manchester Half - ES
    21.10.. Abingdon - Tick Tock, SJ, TR, Jooligan, Dan A
    2.12.. Valencia - Dan A, Tick Tock, Joe B, Jools
    9.12.. Malaga - OO
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Cheers Wardi, and for the list! Good luck for Sunday, and good luck for Saturday JoeB!
  • I Might get down to that with a bit of training and focus wardi  :o
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Think I read that VLM is only 3% (or maybe 1%) overseas runners.  If they opened it up a bit more to internationals, the ballot chances would be about 1:100 - there would be a twitter meltdown.  :)

A lot of people I hear saying how unfair the ballot is, but they don't seem to soften when I point out that the 6000 GFA places and 20k charity places are open to anyone who can be bothered to do the hard work to hit the required targets.

Prompted me to have a countback of how I've got into VLM over the years; since 1997 think it's been 21 entries
    1 x charity
    2 x sponsors place
    1 x deferral
    5 x ballot (100% success!)
    10 x GFA
    2 x Champs

Best keep that ballot ratio to myself though  ;)

Joe, good luck for the weekend.  Expect it will be the first of many.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Wow, Dan 21 times!!  I can see why your doing Boston in 2019, you must be able to run it with your eyes closed.  Something afoot with that miraculous ballot success? A mere 5 times here:-
    1 charity   /   4 GFA
    Times
    1 2:50  (2017)
    1 2:52  (2007) 
    1 2:55  (2006)
    1 3:00  (2005)
    1 3:07  (2016)

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    13 successful FLM/VLM entries: 2 GFA (2006/2007) and 11 champs (2008 onwards).  Think I entered the ballot for 2004, and possibly 2003, unsuccessfully.  It does help having the softer qualification times, mind...
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    In't good old days you had to go to a sports shop to pick up a special mag with the LM entry form inside. You filled this in with a biro (any mistakes and you were out) and posted it to marathon HQ with a cheque.  Ballot chances were about 1 in 3 then.

My debut was 1994 which was the first year of the Mall finish.  Someone asked me afterwards how wonderful it must have been to run past Buck Palace.  I told him I couldn't remember it at all!

16 LM's for me.  GFA x 11, club place x 2, charity x 1,ballot x 2.
  • 11 LMs for me, 3 through the ballot and 8 GFA. Back in 1996 at my first run I think there were roughly evens odds for getting a place through ballot.

Joe - great blog, get a real sense of the excitement. Hope you have a great race and amazing time in Kona.

Wardi - if i don't get on line again before Sunday -have a great race and enjoy the beers, wine, cake, curry etc etc afterwards.

7 miles with 2 at MP today though they did come abut a bit quicker than planned so hope the taper is working and legs are freshening up for Abo.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Tipp Topp - hope the switch from imperial to metric brings you better fortunes. Like Wardi says he is up next, the Abo-ers have another week yet.

LMH - i had best get crab to come to yeovil again then.

I got into the ballot the only time i applied, i think you just need to say you'll run sub3 as anyone that can already do that is in anyway. I didnt enter the ballot this time though, im right on for Brighton!

6m inc strides today.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Just 1 London for me - kept the streak going at the time with a 2.58. didn't enjoy it as had a rotten headache all the way round. 

Besides I had a thing for the Lochaber marathon up in Fort William. ~500 runners and beautiful mountains to look at. Seemed a bit more me tbh. 

WTG - nothing specific as such but mixture of P&D and RW Sub3 schedule and making it up. Probably best mileage for any campaign. Hitting 50+ since early July and five prior to this week were all 60+ with max at 66 mpw. Just about all I could fit in time available to me. 

Nicely done TickTock, TR, Wardi.. ticking over nicely. 

Rest day today as left knee a touch-sensitive. 
  • London for me has been GFA twice, one club entry and champs 12 times.  Next year will be back on GFA.  I did enter the ballot once, was rejected, but got a club place that year instead. 

I don't know what the % of international runners was at Chicago, but it was a lot more than 3% at the 5k the day before when they put your national flag on your number, it seemed like every other one was non-US.  Mind you, that race would tend to attract the visitors staying in the city centre rather than locals travelling in.  If London tried to stage something similar the day before VLM they'd get a lot fewer than the 5000 that turned out!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I skipped the 5km in 2016 as they wanted a further arm and a leg for the entry fee...

15 @ 8.03s. The general aerobic pace is improving these last few weeks. Fingers crossed that is an across the board pace lift!
  • Although every parkrun in London experiences a large increase in runners on VLM w/e CD.
    5 x FLM/VLM: 2 ballot, 1 club, 2 GFA. Missed out on GFA this year due to the change in T&C & unsuccessful in the ballot however I will be entering the club ballot so not quite out yet.
    5M with 4x800m today which weren't as fast as I'd've liked/expected given my reduced mileage this week. Probably have another day off tomorrow given the forecast.
    Hope the storm's passed through by Sunday Wardi else the marathon could be a right slog. Best of luck on the day.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Cheers TR. The switch to metric and a much more restrained approach will hopefully bring me consistency. How's your hammy now?

Courtesy of letsrun, a week of Mo's training 2-3 weeks out from Chicago:

Mo Farah - Training - 120mpw - 195km

Mon - 20km mod - 78min

15 km easy - 64min

Tue - Track 15km - 2km warm-up+cool-down at 5:00/km +
    6x1km in 2:26,2:27,2:28,2:28,2:31,2:41, 5' easy jogging between reps

10km easy - 43min

Wed - 20km easy - 86min

15km easy - 64min

Thu - Track 25km - 2km warm-up+cool-down at 5:00/km +
    15x1km in 2:45/km, 2' easy jogging between reps

Fri - 20km easy - 86min

15km easy - 64min

Sat - 40km long progression run at 3:26/km
    (first 10k at 3:40/km,10-20k 3:29/km,20-30k 3:21/km,30-40k 3:14/km)

Sun - REST

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Only 7 London's for me - one charity place (when I was 20 and had done no running training), 1 GFA and the rest Champs.

I guess overseas runners would just need to get on the elite start - can't remember the requirement for that, something like sub-2:15 for men? They just need to stop complaining and man up.

CW - I won't be doing London 2019, I can't commit enough training to do it justice.

JoeB - shame Katie didn't get what she expected/deserved, but you should never complain about a PB! Have a great time in Kona, I missed a lot of the stuff you're doing as I think we didn't arrive until the Wednesday and were staying a bit further from the race venue, but I wanted to use my holiday after the race rather than before. Plus I had to sort out my rental bike/wheels which took half a day. I remember being amazed at how long the flight from California to Hawaii was, considering that's only about halfway across the Pacific!

TT - sounds like you'll build a good base with that approach. I saw Mo's training on Letsrun - not sure I believe those km times on the Tuesday! Interesting how slow (for him) the easy runs are, which was also the case in Kipchoge's training for Berlin.

Jools - also looks like good base building, lots of steady miles.

Good luck to all this weekend's racers.

5.5M yesterday, squeezed in between getting out of work and doing nursery pick-up. Might get 6M or so done at lunchtime today.

• TT - I've often thought about 'going' metric if only for the simple reason the km's tick past faster. Hope the new approach pays dividends for you. 

Saw the Mo training on Letsrun, boy they are a mostly a mental bunch on there... So much negativity. 
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Padams - the Tuesday reps started off a little inside his 3km pb pace and he 'blew up' to about 10k pace, so I'd imagine they were probably right. The slowness is a standard Kenyan thing. The secondary runs are done pole-pole (slowly slowly) and overall it's a classic hard/easy approach. The Japanese do a lot of stupidly easy running too (sometimes even slower than the Kenyans).

sj - the km ticking past faster has been a bonus I didn't click with until I changed. The letsrun lot are indeed generally incredibly negative. I couldn't believe that none of them had made the connection to Kipchoge's (or general Kenyan style) training.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jooska - those paces sound similar to a lot of my running.

TT - the left hammy (which ruined vlm and yeovil) tendon is all good now. My right hammy has been tight for a while (but is runnable), so i was proactive and had it pummelled last Friday but its still tight and now still sore from the pummellng too. I need to leave it alone now though.

4m easy earlier, just 12 or 13 tomorrow and then its time to get ready for the thread day out next sunday.
  • Best of luck to Wardi and whoever else is racing; TR et al enjoy your taper.

TT -- interesting to see that Mo, like Kipchoge, has a near-full-length long run in there (40 km). I went metric just for my Camino adventure, because everyone talks about the km there.

Back from Munich but I still haven't run since my marathon last Sunday, partly because I needed to be on my bike to get to the dentist just now. I'll do a little bit over the weekend though, I'm sure.

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Nice reports again on those tortuous marathons, oh why do it to yourselves? (I know full well why, my mate does them because he enjoys them :))

Al P - Good effort on the Bmth marathon. Not that I'd ever do one again, but the familiarity would kill me - many times i';ve battled along the prom in a westerly direction from Hengistbury to my folks beach hut at Branksome Dene! My brothers mate cousin won it - very good time too

Thanks Wardi & TR - Euros in Malaga were great (would recommend Malaga as a city break - very nice!), but race tactics weren't the best. Have entered the World indoors in Poland in March too. The relays were as tortuous as ever, bugger of a course...Don't think I'm doing Chichester this year though.

• SC - Good to see the weekend in Malaga thumbs-up. Marathoning there in Dec. The Med, blue skies, sun my kinda torture. 
    Main reason to pop-in is to wish Joe, Wardi & ES all the best of luck for your races. DBS. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Trying to rest today which isn't too difficult given the gales and intermittent rain.  Forecast is more of the same tomorrow but improving dramatically for Sunday.  Currently predicting 12 degrees, 9-12mph winds and the possibilty of a light shower - can't argue with that.  Pre race fuel wise I'm tempted to go for the Alf Tupper favourite fish & chips tonight.  Might even try one of Charlie's patented jam sandwiches tomorrow.

Just found out that out of 18 clubmates who entered the VLM ballot, one got in.  I guess that is in line with current odds.

I quite enjoy the metric k markers in European marathons, while there are more of them they do seem to wizz by and allow a regular time check for those who need it.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    SC - Chichester is a long way for you though, its pretty close to me.

Wardi - weather sounds good for Sunday.

Fleet 1/2 opened today, that will do as a pre Brighton test for me 4 weeks out.

All the George (Best) to Joe, wardi and ES.
  • Today's facepalm moment - realising that the little old lady stood next to us and looking almost as out of place as we did in the front pen last weekend was in fact Joan Benoit, 1984 Olympic champion who ended up with a 3:12 aged 61.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    A bit blowy out before, very warm tho' short sleeves. 

Best of luck weekend racers, Wardi, hope that weather keeps on improving, ES, likewise, Manchester is fast and will have a decent field to run with (many of my club mates running around 76-82 mins. 

Joe, enjoy the race and experience, looks amazing. 

Left knee and Achilles not happy. Trying my best to not think about it. Mrs SJ sent home from work today too, full on lurg... Avoidance tactics in full operations. 

If I tip up at the XC tomorrow and do 90 mins Sunday, I could be around 50-odd miles again... Maybe too much 7 days out. 

Oh re thread day out at Abo, hope I manage to finally meet some of you... Never managed it yet :) I owe many of you a beer or two based on support given. 
  • Doh CD!

Just popping in to wish the weekend’s racers all the best as we are traveling tomorrow. Remember to enjoy it Joe!
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Thanks for all the good luck messages team; really means a lot. Just had a quick read back and will do a full reply when it’s not as mad here; it’s like a circus!

My bike is racked and I’m back in the apartment with my feet up. Kick off 6pm UK time Saturday, and I’m going to do a brief blog post with some tracking info. Going in planning to love every minute of it but I’ll know there will be times when it’s not a bed of roses. Can’t wait to see what the day brings.

good luck to everyone else racing this weekend; it feels a world away from the Surrey league which is kicking off today!