The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• Just 3.55 miles for me tonight now on 503.61 YTD
  • I think I am feeling better for taking a little rest - after Tuesday, I did not run till yesterday when I only did 7.09 miles including Pakrun followed by a gentle 11.26 miles.
    The good news is I HAVE GONE PAST 2000 miles
    YTD = 2009.70 miles
    Just 8.3 miles to get to my target (13.358 km to be exact)

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Well done on the 2000 Harmander, and glad to hear you’re feeling better.

6.5 for me today, so up to 643 YTD 

Hope everyone elses weekend runs were good, and any races successful.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Chester Marathon today brings me up to YTD 1196'
    Happy with 4:07 on a slightly challenging course. Will add a few more details later on.
    Thanks for all the good wishes.
  • Well done on the 2000 Harmander, awesome work & an inspiration to us all.

Great work everyone else to, MrM2, well done in Chester.

Cardiff was awesome today, so sad to just hear of 2 runners suffering cardiac arrests. I managed a PB of 1hr 34mins 29secs (although that seems a little unimportant now), amazing conditions just about perfect.

1155 miles YTD
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    875.3 + 3.1 + 3.1 + 2 = 883.5

Well done to MM2 and Hobie, highly respectable work. As you say Hobie always very sobering to hear of those taken ill during events.

Since last posting I've done my local Parkrun, 5k on the gym treadmill to coincide with the Saturday afternoon footy scores and another couple of treadmill miles today.
  • Well done on the recent races over the weekend.

I got my usual rejection jacket from VLM this morning.

BUT LUCKILY I GOT THE PACER SLOT EARLIER THIS YEAR>

Good luck everyone.
  • Steven Morrison 2Steven Morrison 2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hey all,
    Still no running for me, feeling lousy (my running shoes keep mocking me as I walk past them) - hopefully it picks up soon or I'm gonna have to do something really drastic and go to a doctor *shudder*

Harmander: Congrats on the 2000+ I haven't received my rejection from VLM yet - guess I would have needed to enter the ballot though eh?
    Donnie: nice turnover there, I'm feeling very jealous of your consistency.
    Hobie: delighted to hear you were OK, I was getting worried. Monster time sir - Absolutely superb!
    MrM2: glad to hear you were happy with the Mara, I look forward to hearing more later.
    AndrewD: more jealousy-inducing consistency! Top work ;)
    Lilly: Nice work building on the 500 - hope it's getting easier again.
    jamesricketts: The man with the plan, you sound in great shape to nail it sir.
    DavidC: Thanks for comments on the reports, much appreciated. Also, well run again sir - I look forward to hearing all about your Ultra.
  • Harmander congrats on passing 2000

Well done Hobie and MrM2 on the results

Sorry to hear still no running Steven

I haven't applied to run London in years, I'm very cynical about the way it's run.

3.10 3.4
    4.10 7.7
    5.10 1st run 6 miles, 2nd run 4.25
    6.10 4
    8.10 8.51
    9.10 9.1

YTD 1380.43 miles

• Hey Dubai, what happened on the 7th??? Slacker ;)
  • Thank you Dubai Runner.

As for your comment

'I haven't applied to run London in years, I'm very cynical about the way it's run.'

I tend to do it on foot for now but will insist my family members/friends push me in a wheelchair later if required to help me reach 50 consecutive London Marathons assuming I am still alive at 74- 2019 will be number 35
  • Steven Morrison 2 - lol
  • Steven - 7 October up at 0400 for work, then went for G&Ts in the afternoon. I know should have tried to fit a run in!

Harmander - the way the organisation is run and the fact it's basically just a charity run with no interest in admitting runners unless they take one of the hugely priced charity places ( just my opinion!)

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

I happen to agree with Dubai on this one - the elite race is great to watch, and the charity fun run aspect is great if that's your thing, but I wouldn't fancy running it as an average, non-charity, club runner.

Steven - thank you. I am managing to be fairly consistent with my running at the moment, but will still only reach a maximum of 900 this year. Hope your lurgy disappears sooner rather than later.

3 miles this morning. 646 YTD.

• Dubai Runner and AndrewD - I guess that as I have been so engrossed in just getting a place by any legitimate means possible to get my streak of 34 years to continue I have not paid any attention to the fairness or otherwise of it.
    It has taken me ten years to get a ballot place at Tokyo to complete my Marathon Majors and it is still going to cost me about £3k to do it.  certainly think that is very unfair.
    Berlin was the cheapest at about £600
    Chicago cost me £800
    New York was over a £1000
    Boston was about £1200
    (These prices include flights/hotels too)
    So for London to cost about £50 normally, free as a Pacer and about £1500 on average for charity places I may have a blinkered view about it.
    Over the last 30 odd years, through the generosity of others, I estimate  that I have raised about £70k for charities through sponsorship in London and other marathons in about 20 countries.
    Maybe I am too close to the trees to see the woods etc.
  • Morning all,

Lilly/Donnie, Good luck for this weekend, look forward to reading the race reports early next week!

Harmander, Well done on reaching the 2000 mile mark, epic running Sir!

MrM2, Great effort at Chester, look forward to the report.

Hobie, Smashing PB, what a great effort, however sad to here of the 2 fatalities. 

As for me, it was up early on Sunday (Big breakfast) and then down to the finish at Shoreham to catch the bus up to Guildford for the start, I was one of around 50 who paid an additional fee to leave our cars at the finish rather than trying to get back to Guildford later.
    We arrived after the hour trip around 08.15, with none on the hassle of registering as this was done as we boarded the coach, just had to then queue for the toilets :D
    It was a very cold morning but sunny morning, I believe the temperature was around 4/5 Degree's at the start.
    The route is from an old church at the highest point in Guildford, we would then follow a footpath for around 4 miles before joining one of two old railway lines these have long since been turned into wide paths through the countryside, I only live a short distance away from one of the paths and drive past more or less every day, and didn't know it existed! The last 3 or 4 miles follows the river Adur down to the finish at Shoreham (Sussex)
    I decided as this was my first Ultra, to take it fairly steady and try and pace around the 7.00 m/km pace - so was hoping to finish the 38 miles in about 7 hours.
    We set off and the first aid station was soon upon us at around 9 miles, I was feeling good and keeping pace well, we then headed of to No 2 at 15 miles, the scenery was lovely through this stage with some stunning views from the top of bridges down to old canals and rivers etc, I managed to hold pace well and was really loving the day and chat with the other runners, then onto No 3 at 20 miles and still feeling great, so onto No 4 at 28 miles, this did feel like a long stretch, however I was running with two other runners, so time just seemed to disappear.
    Aid station No 5 was at 32.5 miles and just before we headed down to follow the river, I was still feeling very good and still pacing an easy 7.00 m/km, even the last couple of miles felt remarkably easy and I finished in a time of 7 hours dead and 14 seconds.

Looking at the final results, 200 runners started, only 132 finished and I was 62nd overall, so pretty happy with that. (I will be back next year to have another go and hopefully improve on my time)

The race was very well organised, the spread at each aid station was brilliant and the helpers seemed like they were lovely people, they helped make a good race "Great"

I must say I think the slower pace helped, I didn't feel to bad at the end and could have carried on, I went for a recovery run yesterday at felt fine.

07.10.18 - 38
    08.10.18 - 3.75

YTD = 993.10 (Probably Friday)
  • Great report, well done David.
  • Checking in chaps

Harmander massive congratulations on passing 2000, quite some achievement and I too got my all expected rejection yesterday! 

Steven hope you feel better soon and get back to running ways again, it has been an all to common theme for me this year and frustrating so I hope things look up quickly..

David, great race report as ever.. so much detail! Sometimes mine just seem to pass me by, I wish I could take more in. Hopefully I will the more I race, seems like it was a very succesful day and your result and time was fantastic first time out.. I really cant imagine running such a distance so hats off! 

With regards to London Mara, I can see where Dubai and Andrew are coming from but I keep applying as I havent yet run a marathon and being from London would love it to have been my first. It now definetely wont be as I am 100% running a full marathon in 2019.

I ran Brighton half last year and am thinking I would like to run the full version to have the pair so am aiming to do this in April.

I ran 3.6 miles last night putting me on 507.41 now for the year.. I will try to get a 10k in tomorrow and hopefully Thursday before Royal Parks on Sunday... 

I live this time of year when the sun is still beating on your face but it is cooler and far more acceptable running conditions! 
  • I am glad to have got to my target of 2018 miles earlier today.
    I can now concentrate on a major project I want to complete as a lifetime achievement.
    As Club President I have with the help of my team steered our club Sikhs In The City to become a registered charity (No. 1179621) and have today received a favourable email from the Council to enable us to go and build a state of the art eco-friendly club house to honour Fauja Singh.
    The proect is going to cost us about £400k and I aim to get to the commencement of bulding stage in the next five months with a challenging aim to complete before Christmas 2019.
    Hopefully no one will object to me sharing bits of news on the progress on this together wit my running total next year - which is most likely to be 2019 miles.

• I will be getting my superannuation pension in 292 days time, I need to be engaged to prevent me being mischievous and off the streets - ooops, the running is on the streets.
    Am going to fall back on the old chestnut that English is my second language hence the inability to express myself adequately - my first language according to 'er Indoors is Gibberish or should that be Jibberish   lol
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Harmander%20Singh%202">Harmander Singh 2</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">I am glad to have got to my target of 2018 miles earlier today.
    I can now concentrate on a major project I want to complete as a lifetime achievement.
    As Club President I have with the help of my team steered our club Sikhs In The City to become a registered charity (No. 1179621) and have today received a favourable email from the Council to enable us to go and build a state of the art eco-friendly club house to honour Fauja Singh.
    The proect is going to cost us about £400k and I aim to get to the commencement of bulding stage in the next five months with a challenging aim to complete before Christmas 2019.
    Hopefully no one will object to me sharing bits of news on the progress on this together wit my running total next year - which is most likely to be 2019 miles.

</div>
    </blockquote>
    This sounds amazing, well done and yes keep us updated with how thi gs are moving along!
  • Thanks Lilly1961 - I will.

My yearly total after this morning's run of 8.87 miles makes:
    YTD = 2018.57 miles in 282 days
    7.158 miles/day

I don't aim to keep this daily average mileage up till 31 December - possible total could be as high as 2612
    Will be happy with 2400
    Might even give my thigh a chance to recover.
  • Impressive work Harmander, well done.

Great race report on the Ultra David, brilliant work.

1st run since Cardiff for me today... A few pains but happy it felt better as I keep moving.
  • Just got back from a nice little run, the cooler afternoons are so much nicer!!

6.1 miles today which felt really easy and could have gone on more if I hadnt had to get home..

Now on 513.51 for the year.. Getting closer to my 700 mile goal now
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander, sounds like a very worthy project...all the best.
    I've just posted a report on my experience at the Chester marathon....on the Chester Marathon thread, for those who would like to check it out. Chester has my whole-hearted recommendation; slightly challenging but organised in such a way that you will quite likely rise to that challenge. Starting and finishing within the boundaries of the Chester race course gives it a very secure and friendly atmosphere.
    Recovery seems to be going well, and I have no post-marathon discomforts. Checked out all my moving parts today with a (59min) 10k run in the sun. Happy.
    YTD 1203'
  • Morning,

Harmander, Great news re the club house, I look forward to hearing the updates.

Not quite there yet as I have picked up a cold, they don't usually affect me, however this one is making me feel rubbish, I will make sure I get out over the weekend though!

Good luck to those who have events this weekend.
  • Only 6.5 miles since last check in

YTD 1386.93 miles

Off home to Co Antrim in the morning, my grandmother passed away yesterday at the ripe old age of 97. Running gear is packed along with jumpers and long trousers! Hopefully get a few miles in. 
  • Dubai Runner,
    condolences.
    My thoughts are with you.