Sunday 14th October 2018 - And as the rain came down I dropped to my knees and I prayed

Emz: Good luck! Fingers crossed weather is ideal
Everyone else: Have a good one today in all activities

Looking forward to this one, if at half way doesn’t look like I’ll beat last years 3:42 then going to just enjoy it. Running with mate this year.

What: 26 and a bit
Why: And why not
Lyrics: Aye

Comments

• Morning!

Lyrics: no

What: fitness suite and short run

Why: stretch the Achilles and being sensible

Go well marathoners! 
    What's your race number Benjy so we can virtually cheer you?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Afternoon!

Looking forward to the York reports! Managed to track Emz and various others, but not Benjy! Plus looking to hear from our Orkney correspondent, amongst others.

Went to the fitness suite this morning in very heavy rain. Off for a short run shortly.

Edit: lethargic 20 mins completed. At least the sun was out and the wind has dropped. Feel sorry for those at Manchester half this morning: very wet, quite windy and 8 or 9 degrees.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Sorry Ale, I would have set off for York by the time you posted that. I was 1746. Didn't think to mention it, live tracking etc.

That was a very enjoyable and 'comfortable' marathon this year, although very wet. Didn't beat last year 3:42, came in at 3:45.

Ran with my mate this year, speedy start, good half marathon stage time I was pleased with, then at mile 15/16 took a bit of a decline, my mate went up ahead a bit for 4 miles, he seemed quite comfortable, he wanted to get 3:45 time (or less), but at mile 19/20 I got second wind and felt quite spritley, caught him up and he was not in good shape, he told me to go on, but no we go over the line together, so I helped pace for the last bit and barked instruction we have 30secs to make up etc to get the 3:45. Do feel I could have beaten last year quite comfortably not by loads if gone up ahead, probably 5-7 mins possibly, but it was more enjoyable outcome that we both did well and can reflect on it happily.

I now have no plan, feels quite nice. Back to running mystery tours.

Did enjoy this one, probably because of the weather doing something, which as you chaps know is the sort of thing I like.

Hope Emz enjoyed it.

• Well done, Benjy, not least on the pacing duties! Suspect that the weather wasn't everybody's cup of tea though! 
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Will report tomorrow as on train home now but very pleased with time. Post-accident pb by about 10 min. Great run in all, and I think I get a prize for looking like a prune by the end!

Glad to hear you also had fun Ben.
  • Glad you are pleased Emz! Well toughed out if the tracker tells the story. And in your excitement you haven't revealed yesterday's lyrics: bet it seems rather more than only yesterday when you set them!
  • Well done Benjy and em :+1:

Sounds like you both ran a clever race.

Just checking in quickly. Friday was too busy wrapping up everything at work and at home. Then packing and traveling yesterday. Got to our holiday apartment yesterday early afternoon. It's stunning. The weather is incredible. I mean, this is the Baltic coast so not exactly warm at this time of year. But it's a perfect Indian summer and we have temps in the low 20s. Al fresco dinner on the pier in a t-shirt. Who'd have thought ... :)

Ran 5 miles before work on Friday.  10 miles walked yesterday but no running. All in all 10 miles walked again today plus 5 miles run.

Have a nice Sunday evening.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Great work Benjy & Em, well done

A weekend of two (approximate) 10ks for me.
    Saturday was the opening Hampshire XC fixture at Bournemouth. 
    Overcast skies gave way to glorious sunshine by the time we set off. Pretty consistent after the obligatory fast first mile. 6.1 miles in 42:17, a shade under 7m/m on what is pretty much two lots of the park run course. Around 2 minutes slower than last year but conditions appreciably warmer.
    Contrast with 18 hours later after a night of torrential rain. This carried on into the morning, so arrived at the neighbouring village '10k' under heavy skies and driving rain. Admittedly not too cold but given the terrain I expected some water.
    I was not disappointed: the race runs alongside some local rivers and some low lying land susceptible to flooding. So plenty of splashing and wading, a handful of styles to clamber over, and some sodden wooden pathways to negotiate. 
    Expected the legs to seize up but it never happened. Ran pretty consistently for around 47 minutes, course generally accepted to be long (garmin estimates between 6.4 and 6.6 miles, I had just over 6.5)
    Absolutely loved it!

• Can't blame the weather - despite the previous day's deluge and a 5°C start it proved to be a lovely sunny autumnal day. Change of route due to flooding from previous day to out and back rather than round the loch. Not the best of runs for me - wheels fell off at 10 miles - slow plod onwards and back after that to come in at 5h32. Beautiful autumnal colours around a glassy loch beneath an impressive Schiehallion.
  • Sounds a good weekend's running, Dustin...and a tough day at the office OH. When's the next one?

Hope RFJ is enjoying Palma.