Options

Comrades 2019

Comments

• Options
    Must be something to do with the centenary (100 years not number of races)

Suits me...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Ahh, do they want a big party in Durban?

Loved this year's down, definitely my current favourite of the two available directions :)

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    2 downs in a row? I'll need more bricks. Actually it is my preferred direction 
  • Options
    Everyone got the entry instructions email? It suggests updating your entry details on the website, and given that it’ll almost certainly crash on Friday that’s not a bad idea.
  • Options
    It feels strange not to be getting ready to enter...
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    I saw the double down on their Twitter feed, not the first time.  My back to back was a double down (10 years ago) and if I remember rightly the medal is different from the normal back to back as the characters are facing each other.  I think they do it for logistical reasons as getting out of Pietermaritzburg after a big up run is a nightmare.

Debra, you still could ...... 

Bike It - love the bricks under the running machine! so African :)
  • Options
    Hi RR - am I correct in saying there's nothing to do on the page unless of course your circumstances have changed?

Lowrez,  did I see you say it opens at midnight in SA,  so 11pm here?
  • Options
    Excitement is growing....going to be strutting about the place on Friday when I add my qualifier to my entry straight away.   This is not typical of my normal laid-back/passive approach at all.

• Options
    Yes - nothing to do if nothing’s changed, but it’s handy that they’ve re-sent login details. I think I saw somewhere that it opens at 8am SA time, so 7am UK. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Aha RR you reckon 7am UK - I went back to facebook to replay the original announcement live feed and I couldn't pick up anything on that or spy any other posts quoting it.

I was just quoting my past experiences of registering - I don't have any definite source - irrespective I will be hanging around refreshing the site to see if anything pops up maybe going as late as 2am Friday morning here before I go bobies. If it is 7am then that will fit in well before my commute time into work.

I suppose could always download the paper entry form and send it in now!

• Options
    Peter R: except I've already entered SDW100, which starts on Saturday 8th June, so I'll still be running that in the UK when Comrades starts in South Africa!
  • Options
    Thanks RR & Lowrez - 7am it is!  Wonder if there'll be any places left by November?   

Bike-it do some companies still pay people around the 20th in SA?  Certainly the case when I was back there - helps me make sense of the 19th October.
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Yes JNR - there was a lot of compliants in SA this year that the money had already been spent by the 1st of the month, meaning that people who had to wait to next payday to enter missed out as all places had gone by the middle of the month.  Paydates are typically 15th, 25th last or first of the month here. So I guess picking the 19th is a way to give everyone a date closer to payday so the entry fee can be budgeted.  Although we SA residents pay R600, in context, that is 4 days of work to someone who earns R150 a day which could be typical for a low skilled worker.  So for some people it represent a huge expenditure.
  • Options
    Wow, I'm disappointed to hear that pay is still that low.     
  • Options
    I’ve just checked the twitter feed, it’s officially 0800 SA time. 
  • Options
    1owrez said:

I suppose could always download the paper entry form and send it in now!

Don't bother  :) Postal service rubbish over there!! 

Debra Bourne
    said:
    Peter R: except I've already entered SDW100, which starts on Saturday 8th June, so I'll still be running that in the UK when Comrades starts in South Africa!
    So Debra... You need to run faster and hire a private jet

• Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the newbie questions but I just read about a ChampionChip.  Do I need to get one before I try to enter on Friday morning?  Anything else I need to do to be prepared?  Thanks.
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    TCP - you can order a ChampionChip when you enter.  You will then pick it up with your race number at the Expo.  It's a long time ago since I did my novice entry - but others here can advise if you need to enter passport number?  You would need to add an emergency contact number too.  

5km race in 24.27 last night, which felt very fast but was sub-marathon pace a few years ago.  My hip issues are strangely better when I run faster which is probably a clue on what I need to do.  I ran with another runner which helped us both keep honest.  It was a 'fun run' so no official results as the 10km was the official race which attracted the faster runners so allowed me a top-10 finish for a change with a very modest time performance.
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    TCP - it's basically contact details, plus a few questions about medical conditions and allergies, emergency contact details.  There's a field for Champion Chip number which you leave blank as you don't have one yet.  That can be filled in when you collect your number and chip at the Expo.  I can't recall if Comrades admin does that but this can be checked nearer the time.  Passport details are not listed on the Personal Data page.

Bike It - good to read about your progress.  All heading in the right direction.
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Great progress Bike It.
  • Options
    Southern Snail: I fear I would need a teleporter. And a second set of legs!

Bike it: great to hear of your progress!

TCP: the good thing about needing to order your Champion Chip and pick it up at the expo is that you'll have no worries about forgetting to take it to South Africa with you! I was so worried about that the last two years. Just remember to put it onto one of your running shoes once you have it.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭

I see the prices have gone up a bit

it will still be the best Ultra in the world

Still miss it around this time of year

• Options
    Glad to see you're getting somewhere with you injury Bike-it!  

Is the Up run anyone's favourite direction?
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    It used to be mine, JAR, I think from the 4th run onwards it's been about even.  My favourite bit of the whole route is Inchanga though and I look forward to seeing the face painted on the rocks by the side of the wall when it's near the top and I remember that most clearly from the Up run.  The finish at the previous venue in PMB was brilliant too.
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    My favorite direction is always the direction in the race after next.....

The down has a special place for me as I did that in my novice year so I think my emotional attachment is strong for the down as well as my preference.

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Chip wise, for very little groats, you can always get one at the Expo, so no need to be concerned if you can't find the one you think you have, or as a first timer you haven't got one; the process for a newbie is they allocate you one at the Expo, so its not a special thing, they will always have them there.

Then the other golden rule is, put the chip on your shoe! It sounds simple and easy, but don't forget... no chip, no run, no result, no exception... so if you are doing anything like having a staging service hold a change of shoes for you at half way, you need to transfer the chip onto the shoes you change into etc.

Great running Bike It :)

My first Comrades was an up, absolutely epic, and I think the easier of the two directions, my favourite is currently the down though; had more calamities and survived them on the downs plus it feels like you are being drawn home during the big descents... waaaayyyyy yeehar!

• Options
    Because I've skipped a year I've only run the up once (vs. 3 down) and it's stuck in my mind as being really tough on the legs - even by halfway.   

Some dark moments later in that race   :s 
  • Options
    I've only done once in each direction, so hard to say. Definitely have a soft spot for Up because it was my first one, but I think Down was probably easier, despite being longer. That new 9–10 hours medal has certainly given me a reason to (a) get faster; and then (b) try both of them again, so if I can get under 10 hours each way round...
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I always preferred the down runs. I had 4 x sub 10 (incl. 1 sub 9) on the downs, with only 2 x sub 10 on the ups. I think one of the main reasons I preferred down was largely psychological, because you can first see the Durban beach skyline from nearly 30km before the finish.  I also preferred the Durban finish venue at Kingsmead, as well as being close to my hotels and a better choice of post race steakhouses! 

Bike It, it's good to hear how much better you are doing and feeling.