New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Hi all, strange race / run yesterday over 3,000 runners and walkers turned out despite the horrible weather , all starting at the same time. Not timed so no winners and no prizes but one great atmosphere. Wondered why no one needed a med certificate for this run, this is how the French get away with Parkrun, it's not classed as a race 
  • I read about the virus affecting the rabbits. It's an odd thing that they were always regarded as pests, and now there is an acknowledgement that their ability to keep grasses short and an area clear are essential for other types of wildlife. 

HS: Nice picture of the donkeys. I used to walk in the New Forest quite a bit and donkeys seem to be a new addition. I used to like the pigs. Your running compatriots seem to be a nice lot with all the meeting up for lunch and dinner etc. 

The warm weather has been a bit of a bonus. Raining here the last couple of days, though. 

Well done on your latest race, Red. I expect the half stone is all muscle and very healthy. Not running has made not a jot of difference to my weight. I've just stayed the same. I think, though, that I probably don't eat half as much as I used to.  

Good running from Mokshaeight and perseverance from Aquarius and hats off to Columba. 

I've been doing a fair bit of going backwards and forwards standing in for those contact days that women have to get back into work as maternity leave draws near. It's very tiring looking after a baby or toddler for a whole day, especially when they refuse...to...go...to...sleep!! Lovely to watch them grow up, though. 

I agree on crowded races. After one Berlin Marathon I had a black eye from a huge tall bloke putting his elbow in my face at the start. I could feel it tingling and puffing up all the way round. 

My son and daughter-in-law have just come back from a birthday weekend away and found their flat burgled. Both laptops stolen plus son's work laptop. Makes you feel sick, doesn't it?
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Exhausted, so sorry to hear about the burglary.  Very upsetting for your son & DiL.  Did you hear that Myxi is now in the hare population too?  So sad and I hope they'll put an outright ban on hare coursing at last.

TE, lovely photo of the donkeys.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone - just popped by to say hello. We got back from Madeira on Fri, stayed overnight at a Premier Inn and caught the train home on Saturday. Seem to have spent most of the time since then catching up with 'stuff' and finding my feet again. All being well, will get out for a run (slow jog?) tomorrow and hope to run with the club on Thu. Will catch up properly over the next few days ..
  • Morning all,

Red, well done for your race in Ashdown Forest. Glad you liked the photo of the donkeys.

Moks, hope you enjoyed your "strange race."

Exhausted, the donkeys have been in the forest for many years, but are not there all the year round. There are also deer, but I have very seldom seen them.
    Our club is a very friendly social club, and we do tend to meet up for meals, social runs etc. The club does perform well in races though, punching well above its weight. We only have about 100 members, which is low, compared with most clubs.
    Sorry to hear about the burglary, I hope the police investigated, but I won't be surprised if they didn't. Police numbers have been slashed so ruthlessly under this Tory Government, and I can't remember the last time I saw a beat bobby. Our police station has been closed for over a year, and has been purchased by McCarthy & Stone, the retirement home company for wealthy oap's. It's disgraceful that homes aren't being built that young people can afford.

WtnMel, hope you had a lovely holiday in Madeira?

I had a good pace run in the forest yesterday with Alice. It was her first run for several weeks, but she hadn't lost any of her speed. We ran 8 miles and I managed to keep up with her for most of the run.
    This morning was a spin session, and we were made to work very hard. There were several "twists in the tail," such as having to increase pace for a further minute, at a higher resistance, after sprinting for 8 minutes. This reminded me of the years when I was with Team Solent, when we ran a certain number of laps, and then had to run an additional one.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - we had a lovely time in Madeira and for anyone who likes training on hills it would be an ideal destination as everywhere you look there are steep slopes. 

I've been out and done a 4ml run this morning - well, more of a slow jog to be honest. I didn't have to stop and walk at any point but I was surprised how unfit I felt after a three week break from running. Fingers crossed I'll get on okay at Thu's club run. Yesterday evening I entered a race my club organises - the Linda Franks 5. I'd been warned it is very popular so was online as entries opened at 8pm. By 10:30pm the race was full!
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    HS - what a lovely photo!
    Red - Exhausted has taken the words out of my mouth; that extra half-stone must be pure muscle, hence the speedier running.
    It will be really bad news if myxi gets into the hare population, which isn't a very large population anyway. I suppose in the days before rabbits, when hares were more numerous, it was they that kept the grass short. Plus, much of the country was forested rather than grassland.
    Most unfortunate about the stolen laptops. As laptops are easy to move, perhaps it would be sensible to leave them with friends if one were going to be away for any length of time.
    Moks, I like the sound of that run. That's what I like about parkrun (always written with a lower-case 'p', even at the beginning of a sentence): "it's a run, not a race".
    7 and 1/3 miles run on Sunday. Knee has been aching since then. Went swimming yesterday; spin session to come this evening.
  • Hallo all, finally found my way back to the forums. Have been swimming a great deal all summer and John swam the Thames Marathon 14k last month for the 2nd time, last year he finished in 4 hours and 9 minutes, this year expected to be slower but actually was 6 minutes faster! And that was after knee surgery. I have had success with dog Charlie, last month was the annual trials and Charlie passed his tests, then the next day in the show he was marked Excellent by the Judge, could not ask for a better result, am proud of him. Nemo is still with us aged 11 and will soon have surgery on his bad ear. Both dogs run in the forest with me and are both great swimmers. Am now looking for upcoming races. 

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    During Tuesday's 4ml solo run I felt a bit heavy-legged but kept going without any walk-breaks. Today I ran with my club but I was plodding along at the back by myself most of the time. Thankfully there are turnaround points where all the faster runners are supposed to turn back to pick up the back marker. But apart from our leader Claire only one or two others bothered. I think the rest were too busy chatting or couldn't be a***d! ;)

Off to play 18 holes of golf tomorrow with my friend Alan. Not had a lot of practise recently so it should be 'interesting' (but hopefully not too 'frustrating' or 'annoying') :)
  • Hello all... I'm 48 is that mature enough yet? I'm having a fairly relaxed week after the Peterborough HM on Sunday. Just a couple of 4 milers this week so far. Will do a 5 miler tomorrow and maybe 7 on Sunday morning. Weather has been perfect in the fens this week
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

This glorious weather is making me tired as I can't stop working outside in the garden!  Running's just ticking over with my favourite trail marathon a week on Saturday at Beachy Head so hoping the weather stays like this a while longer.  Busy plotting my ARUK 'challenge' for 2019.........

Welcome FenTiger and yes you are mature enough.  Well done on your 1/2 and it sounds as if you're an experienced runner.  Tell us a bit about your running if you get a moment.

IW, hello again.  Glad you and the doggies are well and congratulations to John for his epic swim.

WtnMel, well done for getting out there and running without walk-breaks.  Shame that you were left on your own during your club run though.  Hope the golf went well.
  • Hello all and lovely to see BIW back. 

Fen Tiger - Here we're all a wee bit mischievous and still little kids at heart. I used to work in Peterborough. Presumably the half marathon there is good and flat with PB potential. I see Perkins Engines are the sponsors.

Everything I've read has made me feel so lethargic and guilty. I haven't been out of the house since last Saturday. I've had a terrible cold which has knocked me for six. I seem to have had a succession of these. I can't clearly remember whether I had them when I ran regularly. I seem to remember I did. 

I've spent the time reading AJ Cronin novels. What a great writer.

Wtn Mel: At least your nice leader set an example. 
  • Hi Redhead, thanks for the warm welcome. No I'm not at all an experienced runner; I only started in Feb.
    Just been building up slowly over the year. I ran the Gear 10k in Kings Lynn in May in 61mins but have now brought that down to 52.20. Ran the Great Eastern HM on Sunday in 2.02 which I was pretty chuffed with as I was going for 2.10.
    Onwards and upwards now I've caught the bug!
  • Afternoon all, and a big welcome to Fen Tiger. Well done on your 2.02 HM result on Sunday, that’s not at all shabby for someone who just took up running earlier this year, please keep posting and let us know how you progress. You’ll find a range of experience, age and abilities  on this forum, from casual runners to Iron(wo)man and Ultra runners, but you’ll find everyone is supportive, friendly and ready to offer advice. 

Welcome back DBI, and good to hear John managed to knock some time off his Thames Marathon swim. Congratulations to Charlie too , I’m not surprised you are so proud of him.

Exhausted - I couldn’t agree more about the feelings of guilt/lethargy (and even envy) reading about everyone’s running/swimming/golfing/spinning etc exploits. I’ve also had a cold (since Sunday) which has stopped any activity other than a listless wandering about the house, or shivery car trips to the supermarket. To make matters worse we’ve had some lovely running weather the last few days and I’d love to get my trainers on and get out there for a run, but while the spirit is willing the flesh is most definitely weak (and wobbly). I think I’ve probably caught my cold from my son or grandson, both of whom have had a persistent cold for the last few weeks. As they live on the same estate as us we tend to see them most days, and despite being on the receiving end of many germ-laden kisses and cuddles I’ve so far managed to escape being infected, or so I thought until Sunday. 

WtnMel, considering how busy you’ve been with other things lately a 4 mile run without a walk break is very commendable. Hope your golf went just as well today. Good job Claire was doing a sweep up for your club run, I think sometimes on club nights people are so busy catching up with one another’s news as they run that they are oblivious to the stragglers, so well done to Claire for being so conscientious. I remember one of my first run outs with my club, I’d accidentally joined the fast group and after about a mile I was running on my own as they all disappeared, chatting away, into the distance.

Columba - hope your knee has settled down again

• hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Afternoon everyone,

Welcome back DBI, good to hear from you again. Glad that you and John are still swimming and that John swam the Thames Marathon quicker than last year. Charlie is still "doing you proud."

WtnMel, well done for your 4 mile run without a walk break. It's always hard getting back into it after a layoff. Hope the golf went well today.

Welcome to the forum Fen Tiger! Your 2.02 for a half marathon is very impressive, considering that you are  relatively new to running. Good that you have caught the running bug, and not the cough/cold bug. Keep us informed about your training runs and races, as we will be interested in your progress.

Red, good luck with the Beachy Head marathon tomorrow week. Is this the race with all the steps?

Exhausted, sorry to hear that you are suffering with a terrible cold and hope that you soon recover.

Aquarius, sorry to hear that you are also suffering with a nasty cold, and hope you soon recover.There are a lot of them around at the moment. I always try to get round the supermarket as quickly as possible, as there always seem to be customers with nasty hacking coughs. I try to do quick about turns if "a cougher" is walking towards me.

I had another "testing" spin session on Wednesday which went well. I ran again with Alice last night and we ran a fairly speedy 5.8 miles on roads and round the Marina. I wore my head torch and reflective top as it got dark soon after 6pm. My pace is improving as Alice is much quicker than me, and I have to work hard to keep up with her. I will be running on my own tomorrow morning, probably in the forest.
  • Just to let everyone know I'm still ticking over, up to 18 - 20 miles a week. And still keeping tabs on all you lot that nowadays put me to shame.
    A big welcome to our latest member, FenTiger, who appears to be doing remarkably well for a new runner. Keep it up. Incidentally I ran the GEAR on my 75th birthday and won the MV70 category.   Now there's a target for you!
    Redhead, I'm afraid I don't share your passion for gardening. It's a necessary evil tthough I like to keep things tidy. Good luck in the Beachy Head.
    Now, I'm going for a lie down after all this typing....Happy running folks.
  • Aquarius: My colds sometimes come from my grandsons but, I think, they are due to the fact that once a month I go to London for a few days. As I live in relative isolation the rest of the time I think it makes me very susceptible to whatever is going. Problem is, I got just as many when I lived and worked there all the time, so maybe it's just me. 

You never seem to get ill, HS, except for understandable injury. What's your secret? 

Running Fox. Well done for the 18-20 miles a week. You deserve the lie-down. 

Many people have told me that the Beachy Head Marathon is their favourite. It looks mighty hilly.

40 years ago today, Mr Exhausted and I went in our white Mini to Eastbourne and went on a walk to Beachy Head. He lost his footing on the footpath and went plummeting down the slope to the sea. He stopped rolling eventually and got away with a few bruises, scratches and a ripped shirt. Whenever we're on a difficult footpath now, we say to each other "Don't do a Beachy Head!"

• Morning all,

Very foggy first thing, but is clearing up now and the sun is out. It's the GSR this morning, and 20,000 runners have entered. The M27 and 275 are already chocker on the way into Southsea, so I'm glad that I'm not running.

Runningfox, good to hear that you are still "ticking over," and 18 to 20 miles a week is more than many of our club runners do. Not like the good old days of 50 to 60  miles a week.

Exhausted, I don't have a secret for not getting ill, I just try to eat healthy food, exercise regularly, aim for 8 hours sleep at night, and avoid others with colds wherever possible. My Mother lived to 91 and my Father 90, so that might have something to do with it.

Yesterday was my quickest run since my injury in June last year. I ran 8.1 miles in the forest at an average pace of 9.33. My quickest mile was mile 5 in 8.51. It's not long ago that I was struggling to do even one mile at sub 10 minute pace. I'm running the Solent Half Marathon route again tomorrow with several club mates.
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Hello and welcome to FenTiger. I note that you only started running earlier this year, and it hasn't taken you long to catch the bug!
    Hello again to DBI, - glad you're back with us; congratulations to Charlie. And of course to John.
    Commiserations to Aquarius and Exhausted for catching the wrong sort of bugs. When I go to London to visit my "children" I nearly always come back with a cold, or develop one in the next day or two.
    Running Fox - you're running at least twice as many miles per week as I am!
    4.8 miles today, very slow time but it did include a Truly Brutal hill, - long, steep, no respite. Took two walk breaks. And when you're finally over the worst, and making your way along an undulating but predominantly downill path, there are several gates to open and close, so really one can't hope for a fast pace.  
  • Hello and welcome Fentiger , every ones seems busy . 
    Hillstrider , great running fastest for a year , well done.
    Exhausted, the same happens to me when I return from Cardiff, I have a sore throat .
    Great win RunningFox on your Birthday .
    My  club went to Vanne to run the  " Duo " it"s a marathon where 2 people ( half mara each ) run it as a relay, this is very popular here and out of 587 teams we came 89th.

• Morning all,

Columba, sounds like a very tough run! I thought that you would climb over the gates lol

Moks, Thanks, the pace is returning at long last.  Well done for your "Duo" and your team coming 89th out of 587, very impressive.

I ran the Solent Half Marathon route again yesterday with 4 club mates. Conditions were perfect, cold first thing, but warming up during the run. Average pace was 10.33, and the slowest runner got a pb for the distance, she was well chuffed. 
    Decided not to do the spin session this morning, but will do tomorrows.
  • Morning all,

Another good spin session this morning.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon peeps,

The sun's been out and so have I!  Gardening is a battle against the clock before the bad weather arrives.  Still loads to do. Poo-picking nearly completed - 1 field finished with the other one to nearly done.  Excellent cross-training of course.  Yoga this morning was hard as we did lots of hamstring stretches which are toug for distance runners, ouch.

Nice spinning TE and a good average pace for your un the other day.

Moks, congratulations on your finish position.

Columba, you are doing really well. Can you believe it's 7.5 years since we ran the Hastings 1/2 together and you're still pushing yourself. Well done you! xxx

Mr Fox, your weekly mileage is mighty impressive and long may it continue.  I ahall channel my inner Fox on Saturday as I reach mile 22 at the start of the 7 Sisters to Beachy Head.

Exhausted and Aquarius, I hoope you're both feelign better and less lethargic.  I think this time of year is difficult as we transition into the shorter day and longer nights.

FenTiger that was a jolly good time for your 1/2!
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Red - the "run as fast as you like but you must turn round at specified points and find the back-marker" idea used to work well at the Wed eve club runs. The difference is Glenda (Wed) had a "whistle of power" and used to more or less order the other runners to run back down the road - much more than Claire (Thu) ever does. And Claire is whistle-less! :)

Exhausted - our leader Claire is lovely .. its the other buggers I was getting annoyed with ;)

FenTiger - welcome along to the group.

Commiserations to Aquarius & Exhausted with their cold lurgies ..

I managed another 4ml plod around town yesterday which was a tiny bit faster than last time .. hoping I'll be a bit faster again on Thu.

I got myself some new running shoes (Saucony Guide 10 - so same make/model as I've used for a number of years). I'll start trying them out over the next week or two. They were actually very good value at £58 (original price was around £100) and I'm sure the fact they're a very fetching shade of day-glo lime green is purely coincidence ;)

BTW, re my golf match with my mate Alan. I was leading by 1 or 2 strokes for 13 holes (unheard of) but the 14th was my downfall. He ended up beating me by 3 strokes. He usually beats me by 10-20 strokes over 18 holes so losing by 3 is actually a positive result for me.

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    The nooo shoes I mentioned :)

• HS, I had to laugh at your “about turns” when a cougher approaches. If someone walking near me sneezes I hold my breath for as long as I can until I think I’m safely out of the germ-zone (by which time I’m turning blue and very lightheaded).

Good choice of trainers WtnMel, everyone knows green makes you run faster. ;)

Red, you must be the only person who enjoys poo picking, hope all this cross training makes you super speedy at Beachy Head (but don’t “do a Beachy Head” in the style of Mr Exhausted!).

Moks - well done to your club for their placing in the "Duo” Marathon event, was this the first time your club has taken part?

Columba - we sometimes run at Derwent reservoir, which is surrounded by farmland so there are a number of gates to tackle when running round the trail. I must confess I’m usually glad of the breather the gates give me (and I certainly wouldn’t consider climbing over them HS :D ).

Running Fox I always enjoy reading your blog, both you and your partner look so young and fit! I’d love to be that active now, never mind when I’m older. If I have a really good week I can get up to 20 miles, but I just can’t keep any consistency going. I find after two or three weeks of this sort of mileage I either get an injury or a cold. I’m trying to improve my strength (quads, glutes, abs, upper body) by incorporating strength training once or twice a week in the hopes this will help. Have you any tips? I only started running about 10 years ago, but as I’ve said I find it difficult to maintain consistent training. I tend to have a go at various events (XC, 5k, 10k, track occasionally, and have done some HM distances in the past). My current training (when I’m cold free) is one slow run of about 7 or 8 miles, a hills session, a fartlek session and a 4 or 5 mile run at 10k pace. I used to train regularly at a club, but since moving house 18 months ago I rarely get to the club now.

Exhausted, I hope your cold is improving. I think I have more colds now than I did when I was working, or at least that’s been true for the last couple of years (but then they have been rather stressful ones so that might explain it). 

It’s two weeks today since I last went for a run, but my cold is still here (along with a cough now) so I suppose I’ll just have to be patient a bit longer. It’s very frustrating because the third XC of the local league is taking place on Saturday and I’ll have to give it a miss.  I missed the first one due to Steve being ill, and we were away for the second one, so I was really looking forward to this one. The next one is on 17th November, at the risk of tempting fate I’ll aim for that one now.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Crikey Aquarius, your cold is lingering on!  Poor Mr A with his rolypoly down the hill - I did something equally spectacular during the 3 Forts Challenge many years ago.  There was no-one around to see it so my dignity remained intact but there was lots of blood to mop up from all the cuts (it was very flinty) and some tears too.  That's one of the reasons I'm cautious going down steep hills.

You won't get lost wearing thos shoes WtnMel :smiley:
  • Afternoon all,

Red, I cleaned my car the other afternoon and I class that as cross training :#

WtnMel, your new trainers are very impressive. I'm sure that they will be very visible running in the dark!
    Well done with the golf, you seem to be improving.

Aquarius, sorry to hear that your cold is hanging on, meaning that you have had to miss races. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as Chris and Karen both have colds, and Chris was on the bike next to mine last week, and Karen on Wednesday.

I had what was probably my best run to date yesterday. It was a 6 miler on roads with an average pace of 9.35 minute miling. My last mile was the quickest in 8.53.
    Today and tomorrow are rest days, and I'm running with Alice Sunday morning.
  • Morning all,

Bright and sunny, but bitterly cold. I started sneezing this morning, so hope that I'm not getting a cold. It must be 2 years or so since I last had one.