The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Dubai.

A couple more short runs so far this week see me sitting at 655.5 YTD.
  • Condolences Dubai.

Well done on breaking 1200 MrM2

Couple of quiet days for me apart from cracking, warm, running club 7 miler

1166 miles YTD and planning 15 miler tomorrow in storm Callum....Snowdonia training weather.
  • I was going to wait until i ran again to post, but i just had to drop by to pass on my condolences to Dubai.
    Sorry to hear the sad news.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thinking of you, Dubai. 97 years! Safe journeys.
  • My condolencies Dubai..
  • 15 miles in Storm Callum this morning, honking headwind all the way to mile 10 then, happy days pushed all the way home. Weirdly warm but very wet, running through rivers at times.
    1182 miles YTD. 
  • Hobie1495, am looking forward to the LSR tomorrow when it is predicted to be wet wet wet. I will try to squeeze in another jog before the flight to Toronto on Tuesday morning.  I will be awol from the Forum until my return but intend to log in some runs to acclimatise before the marathon on Sunday.
    Only did 7.08 miles including Parkrun today bringing my 
    YTD = 2025.65 miles
    Thank you all for the good wishes about the clubhouse project
  • Good luck in Toronto and with the project Harmander.

Looking our from my parents house, very pretty with the autumnal colors, haven’t seen that in years but it’s 6 degrees!!! Trying to find enthusiasm to run, and it looks like it’s gonna rain! 
  • 11.5 miles through the countryside, some beautiful colours. Don't think I broke sweat or ever warmed up. 

YTD 1398.43 miles
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed a seafront 10' run, almost between the showers. Great running conditions.
    YTD1213'
  • Weird post of the day....I did some modeling this morning :-)...I should explain, A lady in the village is doing a Photography degree, a local sportswear manufacturer (Howies) asked their class to photograph runners in the environment, so she  posted for a runner prepared to go out in Storm Callum so she could get some pics...7 miles of up and down trails and coast path hopefully she has plenty of pictures of yours truly.

1189 miles YTD
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a bit of fun for something different to do Hobie!

4.5 again today - 660 YTD 
  • Evening guys

Hope everyone is well..

So a quick update on Sundays race, I was really positive that I could top my PB, currently 2.12. I know it is not quite as inspiring as most on here but I really wanted to break 2.10..

So... I set off with a view to not going out too fast which has been my mistake so often, so at 5k I was going really well and felt fresh running in 27 mins, half way came and went at 55 mins and again felt really good and got a real boost with the thought of maybe going sub 2...

The atmosphere was great as it always is and at 9 miles was still on course, then my troublesem calf felt a twinge. So a slowed up a bit, it eased off so I kept steady and at mile 10 on a downward slope I opened up a little again, big mistake calf started to stiffen and I had to slow right down so much so that I ended up stopping to try and stretch it out.

I ended up coming in 2 hours 14 minutes so not only missed an almost nailed on PB but ended with yet another tight calf..

All this aside I have run way more this year than I have ever attempted running 6 halves and 3 10ks with a marathon now lined uo for 2019..

I am going to go see someone re calf issues as It has really hampered me this year, the positive is I think without this problem I would have been pushing it so I know I can get there..

Now I want to go easy for a few weeks and try to let my legs sort themselves out a bit! And hit this goal of 700 miles!!
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Lilly, for working your way through to the finish, even if it wasn't quite what you wanted. Yes, you really need to get to the bottom of it otherwise it will always be there to bug you.
    I thought of you when I followed up a RW article on Justin Gallegos, and watched his attempt at 'Breaking 2'; that's 2 hours for the half marathon. He is a 20 year old student with Cerebral Palsy who has just been given a 3 yr contract with Nike. I just hope that they support him and not exploit him. Worth watching.
  • Afternoon,

Dubai, Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

Hobie, Well done for getting out in the storm, conditions looked awful! So a model now then :D 

Lilly, Sorry you didn't get the PB but well done on finishing, I find running can be frustrating at times, especially with all the effort that you need to put in, surely you deserve a PB!
    Regarding the calf I would suggest seeing a Sports therapist, there maybe other reasons that are causing the problems with the calf in the first instance.

Harmander, Good luck with Toronto.

Donnie, Race report - did you sub 4?

I managed to get out over the weekend to get over the 1000 miles, I am on Holiday next week, back in Cornwall, not sure how much running will be allowed by the wife, time will tell.

11.10.18 - 3.75
    14.10.18 - 6.25
    16.10.18 - 6.25

YTD = 1009.35
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    YTD 883.5 + 2 + 3.1 + 26.2 + 1 = 915.8

The eagle eyed will note from the top line I've run a marathon since last signing in. Avid readers will know I was at the York marathon on Sunday and those taking a real interest will know the target was sub 4 hrs. 

I've just about dried out and warmed up!! It started to rain as I left home and didn't stop until I was almost back there. Rain falling straight down, not a breath of wind, wet, very wet.

I hoped I was in good shape, more training miles in the bank than in previous years, injury free bar a slightly sore hamstring although aware I was lacking a couple of long runs. Previous marathon experience to put me in good stead.

Started towards the back of the 4,500 field, mustn't go to quick to soon plus the boost of passing a few people.  10k in 57, 20k in 1.56 and my HM split was exactly 2:00:00. Feeling ok.  Every race I've ever run including three previous marathons have been a negative split so on target for sub 4, although my 3 previous splits have been slightly quicker.

Started to struggle around 19 and really struggling at approx 21. I've never hit 'the wall' and don't think i did here but was close to it. Mix of a sore body and some tiredness, kept jogging but only just. I can barely remember miles 22 - 25.

Crossed the line in 4 hr and 2mins! Disappointed but also pleased. In other races I've thought I possibly left a little on the road, Sunday I'd nothing left. I'm happy to say, I started crying once over the line such was the relief. 4hr and 2mins was great damage limitation, I thought at the 20 mile mark, I was looking at 4.15 at best.

Need more long runs and some strength and conditioning (leg and core) at the gym. Still enjoyed it and this wont be my last marathon, but two days on and the body is still hurting. Jogged 1 treadmill last night where I could hardly hit my stride. However there'll be another and i cant wait.  

Yorkshire marathon comes highly recommended, excellent organisation, PB course, good HQ at York Uni, well looked after during the run. For anyone in the North, put it on your 'to do list'. 
  • Excellent report Donnie, Sorry to hear you didn't sneak in below 4hr, however sounded like you gave it your best shot, well done Sir.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Well done Donnie; a good result in some crazy conditions. You can't wait another year before going sub-4!
    Have just given a bit more time to reading through some earlier posts that I had glossed over in my travels and 'post-marathon blur'. 
    Great result David C. Sounds like you kept firmly to your plan, and got the rewards.
    Hobie, you had a great run in Cardiff, congratulations. Aren't you glad that it wasn't a week later?!
    This morning I felt inspired to run a brisk half marathon along the seafront. Started off in morning mist but the sun came through to make it very warm (mid-October!!). Managed a consistent run, so was very pleased, just 9 days after Chester, to keep just inside 9:00/mile pace. The run (13.5') brings my YTD to 1227'.     Happy.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Unlucky Lilly - get the calf sorted and I’m sure sub2 would be possible for you next year by the sounds of it.

4 miles for me today, up to 664 YTD.
  • Thanks for all the kind words, I have spent today planning next years races to get me in the right frame of mind!!

I have just signed up for Semi de Paris in March. After it went through it asked me for a medical certificate, anyone know exactly what this is? Do I have to apply at a Doctors. 
  • Lilly, I guess Dr would be the way to go but they might charge you for the privelage...wonder how long it will be until medicals are required for UK races.

Running club 7 miles last night, stunning night, cool & a nice bit of moonlight...taper started for Snowdonia Marathon on the 27th...just keeping legs turning over now.

1200 miles YTD

• Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here, only been running since Feb. Inspiring stuff reading just how much you've run and how great you all sound. I hadn't thought of a year long target, but will definitely do that for 2019.
    Just had a quick tot up and reckon I'm up to about 600 miles for YTD
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Welcome FenTiger - that’s a good total for the year so far if you only started running in Feb. Sure you’ll be able to reach 1000 in 2019.

Good total Hobie - enjoy the taper!

5 miles for me this afternoon including 3 at tempo pace (7.07, 7.08, 7.02) brings me to 669 YTD.
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Hobie%201495">Hobie 1495</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText"><p><b>Lilly</b>, I guess Dr would be the way to go but they might charge you for the privelage...wonder how long it will be until medicals are required for UK races.</p><p>Running club 7 miles last night, stunning night, cool & a nice bit of moonlight...taper started for Snowdonia Marathon on the 27th...just keeping legs turning over now.</p><p>1200 miles YTD
    </p></div>
    </blockquote>
    Yeh quite possibly mate, I have epilepsy so always write it down on applying but never needs a med cert so assume it is a foreign thing?
  • Morning all,

Just a quick update before we set off for Cornwall in the morning.

18.10.18 - 6.25
    19.10.18 - 10

YTD = 1025.60

Hobie, Good luck for Snowdonia next week.
  • Good evening all

Lilly a doctors letter is standard for races in France, your GP can supply one with the surgery stamp. I imagine there will be a small charge.

15.10 6.78 miles
    then 3 days of no running
    19.10 am 4.26 miles
              pm 6.33 miles
    20.10 am 4.42 miles
              pm 5.05 miles
    Nice to be back in the heat!

YTD 1424.27 miles
  • 6.48 miles

YTD 1430.75 miles
  • Another 6 miles with photoshoot yesterday.

1207 miles YTD
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Couldn't resist a run in the sun, along the seafront, this afternoon. Kept to my 'easy' pace of 10min/mile. So, 14' today, even though I ran 7' yesterday (Parkrun in 26:01, with the 2' each way to the park and back) Normally don't run consecutive days....but this weather....
    Dubai, I see you are back in the heat. Are you feeling ready for Nepal?
    I think I need to ease back next week. YTD:1251.